Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, tell me about the release of Stevie Nicks’ Bella Donna in 1981

Was it a big deal for the gays?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2021 6:31 PM

no. Gays didn’t really start taking notice of her until the later 80s when she got campy and messy, prior to that she was more an object of desire for straight white rock fans.

by Anonymousreply 1January 3, 2021 7:39 PM

That’s why it was a number 1 album r1???

by Anonymousreply 2January 3, 2021 7:45 PM

No, the gays couldn't have given two shits about Stevie in 1981. It was all about Diana Ross.

by Anonymousreply 3January 3, 2021 8:08 PM

My older sister loved her but, to me, Stevie was another generation's singer. (When you're a kid, five years feels like a lifetime so Stevie may as well have been music for my parents, at that point.) I only began to like her when she released Stand Back in 1983, because that and If Anyone Falls were synth-heavy and felt more "me" than my sister's usual music.

by Anonymousreply 4January 3, 2021 9:18 PM

No one under the age of 40 knows that Stevie had a solo career outside of Fleetwood Mac. My young cousin watched Stevie Nicks be inducted into the rock and roll hall off fame and was confused as to why she didn't recognize any of the songs. I explained that Stevie Nick is not the same as Fleetwood Mac. Turns out that the kids are not that down with Don Henley.

by Anonymousreply 5January 4, 2021 12:30 PM

She’s still never topped Bella Donna. What a great record.

by Anonymousreply 6January 4, 2021 12:33 PM

1981 was disco or early new wave/synth for the gays. That was more of a big deal with straights. As mentioned before, we didn’t get into her until later.

by Anonymousreply 7January 4, 2021 12:55 PM

[quote] no. Gays didn’t really start taking notice of her until the later 80s when she got campy and messy, prior to that she was more an object of desire for straight white rock fans.

Yes, I think this is basically correct.

It was more when her career began to cool that her fanbase became increasingly gay in composition. In 1981 Diana Ross was much more a gay fave.

by Anonymousreply 8January 4, 2021 12:59 PM

Gays were more focused on Diana, Olivia, and Barbra in 1981. Oh and Debbie Harry (Blondie).

by Anonymousreply 9January 4, 2021 1:06 PM

Which of Stevie’s albums is most beloved by the gays?

by Anonymousreply 10January 4, 2021 1:08 PM

I'm not eldergay, but I do love Stevie Nicks.

I don't know, R10 = maybe Rock a Little?

by Anonymousreply 11January 4, 2021 1:11 PM

Belladonna was liked by Reagan voting Kmart shoppers with blow outs and Wrangler jeans. It was the last gasp of that cheesy California rock in the same vein as The Eagles. Gays only took notice when she became a Klonopin addicted mess who sang about the forgotten chimpanzees.

by Anonymousreply 12January 4, 2021 1:14 PM

R1 It is definitely Rock a Little. Belladonna is not camp at all. It's as mainstream rock as you can get, but blandness wins out over creativity so it's her most popular.

by Anonymousreply 13January 4, 2021 9:02 PM

Don Henley makes me want to vomit Stevie had horrible taste in fuck buddies.

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2021 6:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!