Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Valium

Do we like it?

by Anonymousreply 40February 23, 2021 7:59 PM

Haven't had any in decades, but it was effective.

by Anonymousreply 1December 31, 2020 4:59 AM

I tried it once and nothing happened. I guess it's meant to be taken over a few days to build up? I was naughty though and just took some a friend gave me because I was curious.

by Anonymousreply 2December 31, 2020 4:59 AM

When I lived in Thailand I would eat it by the handful.

by Anonymousreply 3December 31, 2020 5:04 AM

I prefer Klonopin. No side effects.

by Anonymousreply 4December 31, 2020 5:05 AM

I agree, r6!

by Anonymousreply 5December 31, 2020 5:08 AM

Yes, of course many of us did. Unfortunately, it can be dangerous in large and/or regular doses and hard to detox from (or so I hear). Fatal seizures are just one of many, many issues with the drug and the entire drug family I have learned (not that these were ever described to me back when I was given a script). Fortunately, I never had much of an issue getting off it at all - but I was prescribed it for a decade plus. I suppose had it taken a lot more than I was directed to or taken it daily for instance - I could have experienced some issues. The reason that I stopped taking it all together was that the symptoms that I was using it to treat were getting worse when I was on it (this happened after years of beneficial use and my doctor had no explanation for it). So that was that. I just stopped filling the Rx and later told him. I had issues with Xanax too - even worse in fact. My doctor recommended it in place of Valium. This medication caused extreme insomnia from the first pill and did little to nothing to ease any anxiety to begin with. I remember having a close family member die and hoping that the medication would ease the stress of the death and all that was involved with funeral planning, burial and whatnot. It made things worse for me than not taking anything at all. I never did take a liking to it, but I certainly did with Valium for years and years. I had basically all but forgotten both until this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6December 31, 2020 5:13 AM

Yes we did but you can't get it now.

by Anonymousreply 7December 31, 2020 5:22 AM

yes you can r7

I have prescription for 3 a day

I never end up taking them all though. Am I supposed to? I'll have to ask.

I sort of take them as needed when I stress out.

by Anonymousreply 8January 4, 2021 7:50 AM

I'm out right now and would love some.

Once Covid is over, it's off to Mexico to get me some!

Note: I take it once in awhile on a shitty day to even out my mood.

by Anonymousreply 9January 4, 2021 7:53 AM

Valium is relatively long acting due to metabolites that have strong psychoactive properties, unlike the shorter-acting benzos like Xanax.

by Anonymousreply 10January 4, 2021 8:26 AM

I have severe anxiety (and depression), but have always been afraid to ask for benzos because I don’t want to come off as a pill chaser. On the other hand, I have an addictive personality and would probably spiral, so it’s good that I’m only drinking myself to death :)

by Anonymousreply 11January 4, 2021 8:32 AM

Valium is the best thing for a hangover I ever found. Next best: small amounts of liqueur throughout the day - but NOT to the point of getting drunk again.

by Anonymousreply 12January 4, 2021 8:34 AM

Not where I live R8. All those types of medications are severely restricted because of the opioid crisis.

by Anonymousreply 13January 4, 2021 8:38 AM

I am a benzo addict clean coming on 9 years.

by Anonymousreply 14January 4, 2021 8:47 AM

I honestly thought they had stopped making Valium years ago. What was I confusing it with?

by Anonymousreply 15January 4, 2021 1:27 PM

You can't take this stuff every day or one of 2 things will happen, or both, and that is it will stop working and/or you will become addicted.

The way to use it, is: AS NEEDED, and as little as possible.

I have always had it in the house for years because it has many uses, including being the "king of the muscle relaxers". 40 tabs will last me several years when taken AS NEEDED.

NEVER take it as printed on the label such as "1 tablet, 3 times per day". If you do, you are asking for problems!

My advice is never take more than 1 tablet a day, and never take it 2 days in a row.

by Anonymousreply 16January 4, 2021 4:59 PM

I have been taking Klonopin for years with no side effects. A low dose once a day keeps my anxiety in check. I have never increased the dose, in fact over the years I have lowered it. It is also dirt cheap.

by Anonymousreply 17January 4, 2021 5:07 PM

I've never had a valium but I loves me my xannies.

by Anonymousreply 18January 4, 2021 5:17 PM

I've never tried Valium, but I am sometimes prescribed a small quantity of Ativan to help me sleep. Anytime I have a big event (e.g. job interview), I can never fall asleep the night before. I just lie in bed awake until my alarm goes off in the morning. Then I have to face my big event completely exhausted (in addition to the pre-existing anxiety about the event).

I had asked my doctor for sleeping pills, but he told me that anti-anxiety medicine would work better. He said that the sleeping pills might make me do some crazy things, causing me to be tired in the morning. But that the anti-anxiety medicine would help me fall asleep in 15 minutes, and that when my alarm went off, I would wake up feeling well-rested. He was right.

I'm usually prescribed ten pills (the lowest available dosage) at a time, and that's enough to last an entire year, since I take them only on an "as-needed" basis.

by Anonymousreply 19January 4, 2021 5:18 PM

We love all the benzos.

by Anonymousreply 20January 4, 2021 5:34 PM

Hell yeah, but only in moderation. It can cause permanent memory loss and dementia if taken for long periods of time (not to mention it’s addictive.) They’re great for when you need all your problems to temporarily melt away for a few hours.

by Anonymousreply 21January 4, 2021 5:41 PM

I kind of have dementia for all the years I abused it. I’m 41 now lol. I’ve been off it for almost 9 years.

by Anonymousreply 22January 4, 2021 6:00 PM

Me too, r8. My doctor prescribes 7 per year. He knows I rarely take them (and I usually show up to my annual physical with all 7 in the bottle). He suggested Xanax or Ativan for situational anxiety but I know too many people who've gotten addicted, and I know how Valium makes me feel. For me, it takes the edge of severe anxiety off so I can focus on calming myself. Kind of like a glass of wine on a day when I am not suffering from anxiety. If I ever got to the point where I needed to take something daily for anxiety, this would not be it.

by Anonymousreply 23January 4, 2021 6:37 PM

R23, would you take Ativan an hour or two before a job interview? When I have an interview, I turn into a stuttering, stumbling mess. I have a few Ativan (for sleep), and I wonder if they'd help me through a tough time awake. I don't want to get drowsy and fall asleep before the interview, though.

by Anonymousreply 24January 4, 2021 6:42 PM

I love it, OP. It takes the edge off. Anxiety is dampened down a lot, and I can concentrate better.

by Anonymousreply 25January 4, 2021 6:58 PM

I love valium before having an MRI

by Anonymousreply 26January 4, 2021 7:06 PM

R24 I would take one during waking hours and see how your body reacts before you try taking one for a job interview. Everyone reacts a bit differently to meds. I know a guy who pops two Ativan before he gives big presentations, and he’s amazing on them. I fall straight to sleep when I take them, though.

by Anonymousreply 27January 4, 2021 8:20 PM

I was only prescribed Valium once, after radiation to my brain, I guess to relax me. They might as well have prescribed a placebo, I noticed zero difference.

by Anonymousreply 28January 4, 2021 8:26 PM

Wash it down with brandy.

by Anonymousreply 29January 4, 2021 8:26 PM

R15 Quaaludes?

by Anonymousreply 30January 4, 2021 8:42 PM

Maybe that's it, R30.

by Anonymousreply 31January 4, 2021 8:56 PM

Thanks, R27!

by Anonymousreply 32January 4, 2021 8:58 PM

R5, with respect I think you are getting ahead of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 33January 4, 2021 9:01 PM

God Bless the USA!

by Anonymousreply 34January 4, 2021 9:01 PM

DOLLS.

by Anonymousreply 35January 4, 2021 9:12 PM

God, I wish I had a Valium right now.

by Anonymousreply 36January 4, 2021 9:41 PM

Unlike the other benzodiazepines, Valium is considered the king of the

muscle relaxers also, so it is not just an anxiety or sleep medication.

I have always kept Valium in my medicine cabinet and it gets used

the most for the muscle relaxation, in combination with a

codeine/acetaminophen tablet to control pain. However, don't get

me wrong, as I hardly ever touch the drugs mentioned, unless

needed, which is not too often.

by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2021 12:28 PM

Pop them like candy.

by Anonymousreply 38February 23, 2021 12:47 PM

After a surgery, I was placed on Vicodin, Valium, and Tramodal. I was a mess after awhile, but fuck I loved it. I asked the doctor for more and he pretty much said "oh hell no".

by Anonymousreply 39February 23, 2021 12:53 PM

I have severe social anxiety disorder and Valium works the best of all the anxiolytics for me. As mentioned above, you must not become habituated to it. It is no joke. Never combine with alcohol or you’ll be flat on your ass. Take only one pill as needed.

Klonopin destroyed my memory, a very common side effect. It remains the only med I ever regret taking.

Ativan and Xanax do little for me.

by Anonymousreply 40February 23, 2021 7:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!