Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New Post-Covid Symptom in a minority of patients - Psychosis

๐’๐ฆ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐๐ฎ๐ฆ๐›๐ž๐ซ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐‚๐Ž๐•๐ˆ๐ƒ ๐๐š๐ญ๐ข๐ž๐ง๐ญ๐ฌ ๐ƒ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ฅ๐จ๐ฉ ๐’๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐๐ฌ๐ฒ๐œ๐ก๐จ๐ญ๐ข๐œ ๐’๐ฒ๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ญ๐จ๐ฆ๐ฌ

Almost immediately, Dr. Hisam Goueli could tell that the patient who came to his psychiatric hospital on Long Island this summer was unusual.

The patient, a 42-year-old physical therapist and mother of four young children, had never had psychiatric symptoms or any family history of mental illness. Yet there she was, sitting at a table in a beige-walled room at South Oaks Hospital in Amityville, New York, sobbing and saying that she kept seeing her children, ages 2 to 10, being gruesomely murdered and that she herself had crafted plans to kill them.

โ€œIt was like she was experiencing a movie, like โ€˜Kill Bill,โ€™โ€ Goueli, a psychiatrist, said.

The patient described one of her children being run over by a truck and another decapitated. โ€œItโ€™s a horrifying thing that hereโ€™s this well-accomplished woman and sheโ€™s like โ€˜I love my kids, and I donโ€™t know why I feel this way that I want to decapitate them,โ€™โ€ he said.

The only notable thing about her medical history was that the woman, who declined to be interviewed but allowed Goueli to describe her case, had become infected with the coronavirus in the spring. She had experienced only mild physical symptoms from the virus, but, months later, she heard a voice that first told her to kill herself and then told her to kill her children.

At South Oaks, which has an inpatient psychiatric treatment program for COVID-19 patients, Goueli was unsure whether the coronavirus was connected to the womanโ€™s psychological symptoms. โ€œMaybe this is COVID-related, maybe itโ€™s not,โ€ he recalled thinking.

โ€œBut then,โ€ he said, โ€œwe saw a second case, a third case and a fourth case, and weโ€™re like, โ€˜Thereโ€™s something happening.โ€™โ€

Indeed, doctors are reporting similar cases across the country and around the world. A small number of COVID patients who had never experienced mental health problems are developing severe psychotic symptoms weeks after contracting the coronavirus.

More at article:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 30, 2020 10:08 PM

And they're all on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 1December 28, 2020 10:46 PM

This is the Zombie Apocalypse.

by Anonymousreply 2December 28, 2020 10:46 PM

Holy shit. That's scary AF. As if we needed MORE reasons to be responsible, socially distance, wear our masks etc.

by Anonymousreply 3December 28, 2020 10:46 PM

So now, literally batshit crazy?

by Anonymousreply 4December 28, 2020 10:47 PM

How would anyone know today, everyone is such a psycho?

by Anonymousreply 5December 28, 2020 10:48 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 6December 28, 2020 10:48 PM

OMG! LOL^

by Anonymousreply 7December 28, 2020 10:49 PM

R6 I love our sleuths.

by Anonymousreply 8December 28, 2020 10:49 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 9December 28, 2020 10:50 PM

WTF was he thinking? ^

by Anonymousreply 10December 28, 2020 10:51 PM

He apparently is an openly gay, devoutly Muslim Egyptian American doctor who also enjoys performing burlesque. Not kidding. And, honestly, I don't give a shit. Seems like a smart, caring guy. So what if he has a silly hobby?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 28, 2020 10:52 PM

I mean, don't get me wrong. Getting invited to a friend's burlesque show is only marginally better than getting invited to their improv troupe's showcase. I'd probably pretend to be sick or out of town. But, if it makes him happy... so what?

by Anonymousreply 12December 28, 2020 10:54 PM

Really, R6? That's hilarious.

As I was posting the article, I looked at the preview pane and thought to myself that a lot of DLers would approve of the doctor. But I didn't look him up. ;D

by Anonymousreply 13December 28, 2020 10:54 PM

Jesus.

My God, Rona, donโ€™t you stop?

by Anonymousreply 14December 28, 2020 10:55 PM

He's kinda hot at R9 I gotta say

by Anonymousreply 15December 28, 2020 10:56 PM

Well, that explains QAnon.

by Anonymousreply 16December 28, 2020 10:56 PM

I like it when my shrink is a little psycho - we'll have something in common. Besides... he's got muscles. My criteria has been met! See ya soon Doc.

by Anonymousreply 17December 28, 2020 10:57 PM

How does a PORTLAND OREGON based doctor work in a hospital on Long Island??????

by Anonymousreply 18December 28, 2020 10:57 PM

Maybe two different doctors?????

by Anonymousreply 19December 28, 2020 10:58 PM

Itโ€™s the increased screen time during quarantine, wfh, etc... not the disease itself that causes the psychosis.

Mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 20December 28, 2020 10:58 PM

I like this doc's sense of humor. At least he has one! Trust me -- I know too many who don't.

by Anonymousreply 21December 28, 2020 10:58 PM

Every psychiatrist is batshit crazy themselves.

by Anonymousreply 22December 28, 2020 11:00 PM

This is actually unnerving.

by Anonymousreply 23December 28, 2020 11:01 PM

How many families will keep this side effect to themselves....

by Anonymousreply 24December 28, 2020 11:02 PM

It will be a new murder defense...Covid psychosis.

by Anonymousreply 25December 28, 2020 11:03 PM

Alas, since I click on the article I posted, others on the subject have started to enter my feed. Here's another.

๐“๐ก๐ž "๐•๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ ๐’๐ญ๐ซ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ž" ๐‹๐จ๐ง๐  ๐‚๐Ž๐•๐ˆ๐ƒ ๐’๐ฒ๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ญ๐จ๐ฆ ๐„๐ฑ๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ๐ญ๐ฌ ๐–๐š๐ง๐ญ ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐ญ๐จ ๐๐ซ๐ž๐ฉ๐š๐ซ๐ž ๐…๐จ๐ซ

While COVID is well-known for causing a number of common symptoms in those recently infected with the virus, from shortness of breath to headaches to loss of smell, even those who've largely recovered from COVID may experience some seriously strangeโ€”and unpleasantโ€”effects from their illness. COVID long-haulersโ€”individuals who continue experiencing COVID-related ailments weeks or months after their initial diagnosisโ€”are coming to doctors with a shocking new long-term effect of the virus that experts are calling "very strange": ๐˜€๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—น๐—น๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ฒ๐˜…๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—น๐˜† ๐˜‚๐—ป๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ฎ๐—ป๐˜ ๐˜€๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐˜€. Read on to find out more, and if you're feeling unwell, know that If You Have One of These COVID Symptoms, the CDC Says to Call 911.

A new report from Sky News reveals that some COVID long-haulers who lost their sense of smell during a bout with the virus find that their olfactory organs begin working overtime later on. Specifically, some individuals find themselves smelling strong odors of fish, burning, and "sickly sweet" odors where no such aromas exist. According to Nirmal Kumar, MD, an ear, nose and throat surgeon who serves as president of ENT UK, COVID long-haulers' olfactory distortion, also known as parosmia, is both "very strange and very unique," even to medical experts.

While it may seem relatively minor compared to some of the other complications associated with COVID, Kumar told Sky News that the effects of parosmia are "really disturbing patients and their quality of life is hugely impacted."

Though Kumar admits that the exact means by which the sense of smell is affected in long-haulers hasn't been definitively established, he says it's likely due to the fact that the virus frequently affects nerves in the brain associated with a person's sense of smell, both in the early stages of the virus, and, in the case of long-haulers, weeks or months later...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 28, 2020 11:04 PM

^^ clicked, not click

by Anonymousreply 27December 28, 2020 11:05 PM

Weโ€™re heading toward the ninth circle, girls.

by Anonymousreply 28December 28, 2020 11:06 PM

[quote]How many families will keep this side effect to themselves....

How many families are already experiencing it, R24, and never thought it might be related to Covid?

by Anonymousreply 29December 28, 2020 11:07 PM

Is anyone else seeing a glitch in the preview pane for the link in R26? For me, it's previewing the entire article, extending downwards, overlapping the subsequent posts.

by Anonymousreply 30December 28, 2020 11:09 PM

The patients are already obese and psychotic as most American people are these days.

by Anonymousreply 31December 28, 2020 11:13 PM

Does it make you think you're Spanish?!

by Anonymousreply 32December 28, 2020 11:14 PM

Explains the last month of the election campaign.

by Anonymousreply 33December 28, 2020 11:15 PM

R30 - I'm seeing the extra long preview pane on R26, but it isn't overlapping any subsequent posts. I'm using Chrome on PC.

by Anonymousreply 34December 28, 2020 11:16 PM

Mmmmm. Dr. Hisam Goueli is very sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 28, 2020 11:27 PM

This thread is making be both TERRIFIED and HORNY AS HELL!!!

by Anonymousreply 36December 28, 2020 11:46 PM

Before anyone chimes in: no, POTUS was already psychotic.

(Or maybe itโ€™s sociopathic. Whatever. I know that comment is coming)

by Anonymousreply 37December 29, 2020 12:02 AM

I knew the good doctorโ€™s gay the minute I saw the article.

by Anonymousreply 38December 29, 2020 12:06 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 29, 2020 12:06 AM

The pussification of America.

by Anonymousreply 40December 29, 2020 12:08 AM

Umm yeah OK Mr. Macho Man R40

by Anonymousreply 41December 29, 2020 12:12 AM

Very strange visions. Hallucinations? Maybe she needs deep therapy..

by Anonymousreply 42December 29, 2020 12:17 AM

[quote] mother of four young children

The real cause of the psychosis quoted above.

by Anonymousreply 43December 29, 2020 12:19 AM

What else did the Chinese do to make this virus even worse!

by Anonymousreply 44December 29, 2020 12:31 AM

But it's just a run of the mill cold. The average American won't die -- only the old, morbidly obese, people with high blood pressure, people with diabetes, and people with other serious illnesses. 1654% of the people that get it survive! You shut-ins are ruining everything!1!11 We need to be able to get wasted at bars, go to Chili's for jalapeรฑo poppers, and dump our unwanted superspreader kids off at school because we're sick of being around them.!11!!!!

by Anonymousreply 45December 29, 2020 2:19 AM

R41 is afraid of the big bad world...

by Anonymousreply 46December 29, 2020 9:19 PM

[quote]Before anyone chimes in: no, POTUS was already psychotic.

True, R37. But post-covid, it still seems like something new has been added. There's his insistence, despite objective reality, that he actually won the election. And he seems to think he's won the Nobel Peace Prize.

It's long been apparent he's coveted one. But now he's claiming he has won one.

Or several.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 30, 2020 6:24 PM

People who are hearing voices telling them to do violent things don't need therapy. They need meds STAT.

(Schizophrenia gets worse is not treated.)

by Anonymousreply 48December 30, 2020 10:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!