Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bridgerton:: why in Shondaland ethnics can be

just as much a queen as can them white gals.

new on netflix....very funny, but not in the way she hoped im sure.

by Anonymousreply 62July 23, 2021 9:21 AM

OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 25, 2020 5:18 PM

It is so stupid to cast black people as English aristocrats during -- well, anytime really -- the Regency period.

by Anonymousreply 2December 25, 2020 5:24 PM

For R2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 25, 2020 5:32 PM

For R2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 25, 2020 5:32 PM

I am generally opposed to diversity for diversity sake. But, I didn't hate this.

While, of course, minorities would not have had such high social status in Regency England, I thought of it more like part of the alternative history genre of fiction. It actually does what I've always advocated by creating characters, rather than simply deciding that race doesn't matter. MICE Quotient - Milieu, Idea, Character, and Event - the Milieu in this case just happens to be a world with similar social and economic pressures as Regency England, but where race doesn't matter. At the same time, gender pressures on women (and men) remain the same.

And, you gotta admit, Hastings was pretty damn sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 25, 2020 11:23 PM

R5 Here's an inconvenient truth: Much of the obscene upper class wealth in England was due to slavery on the distant plantations of the aristocracy. But why confront that ugly reality about how black people were treated during the Regency when we can pretend they were enjoying the fruits of their own labor (somehow)? The casting is whitewashing on a grand scale and it feels utterly fake, but no more fake than the white characters. The whole thing is an exercise in artificiality. There is not one moment that one can lose the sense that everyone is acting in elaborate costumes.

by Anonymousreply 6December 25, 2020 11:46 PM

[quote][R5] Here's an inconvenient truth: Much of the obscene upper class wealth in England was due to slavery on the distant plantations of the aristocracy. But why confront that ugly reality about how black people were treated during the Regency when we can pretend they were enjoying the fruits of their own labor (somehow)?

Your simplistic interpretation of sources of wealth during that period does not impact the story.

You sound exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 7December 26, 2020 12:15 AM

black lords n ladys? o dear rhonda shonda, get ur facts str8...what a ridic piece of zzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 8December 27, 2020 4:02 PM

What a bozo mess, La Shonda needs to go back to producing doctor shows.

The extent which this show goes to exclaim politcal correctness makes me reach for my Correctol.

by Anonymousreply 9December 27, 2020 4:09 PM

I'd much rather see a drama with POC in contemporary times, dealing with life on life's terms. Or if in a historical film or TV project, REALISTICALLY. This is revisionist BS, just like filmmakers did in the old days when everything and everyone was whitewashed. It's foolish. To do something like this is an insult to the memory of black people who lived in England and elsewhere during this time.

by Anonymousreply 10December 27, 2020 4:12 PM

Between Ryan Murphy and Shondra, Netflix should change it’s name to The History Reimagined Channel.

by Anonymousreply 11December 27, 2020 4:12 PM

There were about 5,000 country house estates at the height, mid 19th century. Today about three thousand remain.

Well less than 100 have been linked to slavery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 27, 2020 4:13 PM

Links to slavery as high as 10%.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 27, 2020 4:16 PM

Her attempt at woke merely highlights her own warped views....

P.O.S. should be the subtitle to this travesty.

by Anonymousreply 14December 27, 2020 4:29 PM

[quote]This is revisionist BS

Honey, if you think this dreck is revisionist bull shit, let me show you some real revisionist bull shit, done by a real artiste

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 27, 2020 4:31 PM

But but but ... was it entertaining?

by Anonymousreply 16December 27, 2020 4:52 PM

Mary, Tarantino was not making a racial revisionist movie, just a fanciful happi end to a shitty incident.

i thought it was marvy.

by Anonymousreply 17December 27, 2020 4:55 PM

I'm black, I'm not a fan of colorblind casting or changing the race of established characters and especially not changing the race of historical figures, but I'm fine with this because it's explained and based in some type of historical theory.

[quote]The only time race is even hinted at is in Episode 4, when Daphne's fake suitor (and her older brother's best friend), Simon Basset (Regé-Jean Page), is reminded by his surrogate mother that there were once two separate societies divided by color until the king fell in love with Queen Charlotte, a Black woman. (Notably, Princess Sophia Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz and King George III, whose marriage was arranged, didn't meet until their official wedding day, and it wasn't until the early 20th century that speculation about Charlotte's racial heritage began, let alone became seen as somewhat canonical.)

[quote]This moment gives viewers some context of how race — albeit a modern understanding of race — could have played out, but it's not at the forefront of this fictional setting. Like the rest of the signature shows coming from Shondaland, the series's draw is the deliciously soapy drama at the center. And without an emphasis on race, historical accuracy or the backdrop of slavery, fans can focus on the scandals, costumes, gossip and intrigue at the heart of the series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 27, 2020 5:07 PM

R15, you are so off on this inept comparison. Seriously, you're just pulling shut out of your ass.

Sharon would never have complained about an alternate ending that gave her and her baby life.

by Anonymousreply 19December 27, 2020 5:18 PM

As long as they keep showing John Bailey's ass who really cares?

by Anonymousreply 20December 27, 2020 5:20 PM

Shonda is a racist and homophobic cunt who believes in black supremacy.

by Anonymousreply 21December 27, 2020 5:20 PM

woke!

by Anonymousreply 22December 27, 2020 5:44 PM

[quote]Mary, Tarantino was not making a racial revisionist movie, just a fanciful happi end to a shitty incident.i thought it was marvy.

not surprised you would have no problem with revisionist bullshit, as long as blacks don't get to have a fantasy happy ending

...hmmmm....wonder why that might be

by Anonymousreply 23December 27, 2020 5:47 PM

R21 needs help.

by Anonymousreply 24December 27, 2020 5:50 PM

I forgot about Ryan Murphy's reimagined BS. It's wrong. Speak the truth, even when it's not pretty, please. Pretty please?

by Anonymousreply 25December 27, 2020 6:23 PM

The actor playin the Duke is one of the most beautiful men I’ve seen in years. Oozes sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 26December 27, 2020 9:10 PM

Casting Mother Jefferson as queen to George III was inspired.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 28, 2020 6:33 AM

[quote]Tarantino was not making a racial revisionist movie, just a fanciful happi end to a shitty incident

The recent uptick in use of "racial" here on DL in this rednecky rightwing way has made it pretty obvious just WHO is coming here to post lately.

The kind of person who will flat-out say "this fanciful imagining is ethically wrong because it has blacks in it, while this other fanciful imagining is super happy and awesome because it's all about whites, plus one Asian that's made fun of," basically.

by Anonymousreply 28December 28, 2020 11:49 AM

It does look weird to see blacks posing as aristocrats bak in the old timey england days. she in the wrong genre...that phat miss shonda lou. netflixx paid good $ for this crap?

by Anonymousreply 29December 28, 2020 1:28 PM

Why is everyone's pantaloons in a snit about the colorblind casting? "The Great" has already done this with Catherine the Great's court.

by Anonymousreply 30December 28, 2020 2:20 PM

The Great sucks bad.

by Anonymousreply 31December 28, 2020 2:55 PM

Next.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 28, 2020 3:53 PM

photoshopped b.s.

by Anonymousreply 33December 28, 2020 4:35 PM

It would have been better with Joyce Dewitt as the lead.

by Anonymousreply 34December 28, 2020 4:44 PM

Is shonda gay?

by Anonymousreply 35December 28, 2020 4:50 PM

[quote]R19 You are so off on this inept comparison, r15. Sharon would never have complained about an alternate ending that gave her and her baby life.

And who’s to complain about people of color being treated as equals in a fictional drama?

by Anonymousreply 36January 1, 2021 2:05 AM

White people don't want to want watch stories about the actual lives of black people.

They want to see them masquerading as whites.

by Anonymousreply 37January 1, 2021 2:45 AM

This is not really about casting black people in normally white roles. Shonda is imagining a society where race doesn’t matter just like Ryan Murphy likes to portray one where sexuality is not an issue.

You’re completely missing the point if you’re all stressed about race in this show

by Anonymousreply 38January 1, 2021 3:01 AM

I don’t care about the cast. I just can’t watch an entire season of what will be a sappy romance show

by Anonymousreply 39January 1, 2021 3:02 AM

Funny to see that DLers are suddenly so concerned about historical accuracy.

DL doesn’t care about height, weight, how muscular the men are, how modern the women the look—but everyone is fixated on race!

by Anonymousreply 40January 1, 2021 3:03 AM

[quote]This is not really about casting black people in normally white roles.

Of course it is.

[quote] You’re completely missing the point if you’re all stressed about race in this show

Stressed out about race in the show? It makes no difference to me one way or the other. But as I said and just so you know: for the most part, white people don't want to want watch stories about the actual lives of black people. They want to see them masquerading as whites.

by Anonymousreply 41January 1, 2021 3:09 AM

funny bad/sarcastic review of it and her in this weeks new yorker mag...

by Anonymousreply 42January 1, 2021 3:15 AM

Well, you people are going to hate the upcoming Mr. Malcolm's List, even if it's with DL fav Oliver Cohen Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 43January 1, 2021 3:16 AM

Shonda flops !

by Anonymousreply 44January 1, 2021 3:30 AM

Beautiful series, loved every moment of it

by Anonymousreply 45January 3, 2021 12:35 PM

The series is based on a series of ROMANCE NOVELS. It was not created for Datalounge’s 60 yr old idiotic white supremacists. You don’t like it; don’t fucking watch it. You have options. No one gives a fuck. Again it wasn’t created for you.

All of the excessive dialogue about a fictional series based on a romance novel all boils down to the same white supremacist resentment expressed in every other thread. We get you hate black people. Spending day and night attempting to both disguise and justify your hatred must be exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 46January 3, 2021 1:57 PM

Who is in the pic at r5?

by Anonymousreply 47January 3, 2021 2:01 PM

did blacks dress as aristocrats and have high titles or is this shondaland fairytale?

im all 4 woke but this is a bit.....reaching.

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2021 8:49 AM

Dear god the storylines in this are so boring....may as well have kangaroos prancing around in tall white wigs and possums in waistcoats.

by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2021 9:02 AM

R3/ R4 thanks, that was really interesting (and well researched).

I did not know that

by Anonymousreply 50January 18, 2021 10:07 AM

I find it a total comedy....like the cartoons of dogs and cats dressed like fancy pants folks on some paintings...

by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2021 10:16 AM

Is there an actual plot????? man its a gagger....

by Anonymousreply 52January 19, 2021 2:40 AM

Not watching. But it IS why the 3-named actor won't be James Bond.

by Anonymousreply 53January 19, 2021 2:51 AM

The Bridgerton men are hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 19, 2021 4:00 AM

Yes..plumb woke hot.

by Anonymousreply 55January 19, 2021 4:54 AM

[quote] You don’t like it; don’t fucking watch it. You have options. No one gives a fuck. Again it wasn’t created for you.

We equally have the option to criticize it, Li'l Miss Hissy Fit.

Don't like that reality? Well, as you say: no one gives a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 56January 19, 2021 4:58 AM

Its a fictional TV show on Netflix with men and women fornicating. It is supposed to appeal to the common masses and romantic frustrated housewives. Everyone relax and have a cup of tea and shortbread

by Anonymousreply 57January 19, 2021 5:14 AM

Lookalike

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 27, 2021 12:34 PM

Well, it’s a massive hit. So it got something right.

by Anonymousreply 59January 27, 2021 12:41 PM

[quote] Well, it’s a massive hit. So it got something right.

Never underestimate the sappiness of the lowbrow common viewer. If you slap a Regency costume on a POC you will find an additional wellspring of lowbrow viewing WOC to hook. The possibilities are endless.

by Anonymousreply 60January 27, 2021 4:15 PM

[quote] Well, it’s a massive hit. So it got something right.

So is "This is Us," so obviously that means nothing.

by Anonymousreply 61January 27, 2021 5:07 PM

I finally watched an episode. I can't believe how tacky it is in every way.

I can see the low brow in the US lapping it up. Is it popular in England?

by Anonymousreply 62July 23, 2021 9:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!