Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Beatles: Get Back

This seems like it will be a really refreshing, positive new look at this old footage. I really enjoyed this sneak peek of the new movie coming in 2021. Something to look forward to!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 4, 2022 12:14 PM

I can’t wait to see it!

by Anonymousreply 1December 22, 2020 9:39 PM

This song was Paul's message to Yoko.

by Anonymousreply 2December 22, 2020 9:43 PM

What did they do to this footage to make it look so contemporary? It looks like it was shot yesterday, and on high-resolution video.

by Anonymousreply 3December 22, 2020 9:47 PM

It really does have a fresh feel, I agree, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4December 22, 2020 10:53 PM

Bumping, hoping a few more of you will take a look at this teaser and feel excited about what's to come.

by Anonymousreply 5February 18, 2021 2:57 AM

R3...because the footage is doctored...

by Anonymousreply 6February 18, 2021 2:58 AM

Looks really interesting! I love studio footage from this era. I'm a musician and love watching other musicians create.

Interesting seeing how *right there* Yoko is, sometimes sandwiched right between John & one of the other guys. She's a polarizing figure for sure. Even though she & John were an undeniable match, we know the other guys hated her. I wonder what kind of fights happened behind the scenes. Certainly nothing they'll show in this film.

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2021 5:07 AM

Get Back was not actually about Yoko. In fact, no one in the band had a problem with Yoko until after John died and she and Paul got into a battle over the co-written songs. Paul introduced John to Yoko, through his co-owned Indica gallery. He was a partner under one of his many pseuds.

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2021 5:11 AM

Looks great. I had a smile on my face the whole time.

They had a problem with Yoko from the start. Yoko, is that you at R8?

Yoko literally stalked John at his home.

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2021 6:25 AM

r9, nothing you're saying resembles factual reality whatsoever. She did not stalk John. No one had an issue with her. Paul brought her in to Indica, already knew her through that scene and introduced her to John specifically because he thought they'd hit it off.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2021 11:14 AM

Paul is the reason why the original version of the movie has been buried all of these years since he comes off as the bad guy in it. So since he's involved with this Peter Jackson version, expect Paul to be front and center as the good guy in this new version. I'm guessing that Yoko will either be the villain in this new version or edited out completely.

It'll be interesting to see what comes out about Paul after he's dead. He's far from the lovable old Brit that he's perceived to be by the masses.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2021 12:15 PM

How many Pauls have there been?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2021 12:22 PM

I was always under the impression that John subconsciously longed for a mother figure. His own mother had first abandoned him, then just when they were developing a close bond in his teens, she was killed.

He wanted a part of his life where he was dependent and a mother nurtured him. He didn't always want to be the self-assured leader. Cynthia, his first wife, was sweet, but depended on John to be "the man" in the relationship and look after her. Yoko was willing and able to be the strong one. She was a couple of years older than him and had already made a name for herself in avant garde art circles independent of him.

Anyway, I think all the Beatles were getting a little sick of each other after all those years of being together and continually under intense scrutiny almost all day every day. There was Yoko's constant presence, yes. There was also Paul's perfectionism and sometimes nagging workaholism and his insistence on having his own father-in-law as their manager instead of the man (Allen Klein) the other three had agreed on. George was often full of negativity, shooting down every suggestion the others had for spontaneous appearances. He was like a dark cloud coming into a joyous room at times. Ringo was often the easiest-going, but even he had his limits.

They were four young men who wanted to try something else with their lives. I wish they had gone on for years and years more. But I get why they didn't.

by Anonymousreply 13March 7, 2021 3:39 PM

I think I read somewhere that "Get Back" was about the attitudes towards Afghani immigrants coming to the UK at that time.

by Anonymousreply 14March 7, 2021 4:03 PM

R3, IT'S FILM (look it up)

"This song was Paul's message to Yoko"

It's well known that it's about Linda's first husband, Melville See.

by Anonymousreply 15March 7, 2021 4:34 PM

"She was a couple of years older than him..."

Almost EIGHT years older:

Lennon - Oct 1940, Ono - Feb 1933

by Anonymousreply 16March 7, 2021 4:44 PM

R16, true.

by Anonymousreply 17March 7, 2021 5:15 PM

Can wait to see it.

by Anonymousreply 18March 7, 2021 5:22 PM

Can’t ^

by Anonymousreply 19March 7, 2021 5:23 PM

R13 John later said Paul was right about Allen Klein.

by Anonymousreply 20March 7, 2021 5:24 PM

R11 do you mean he’s actually not perfect? Quelle horreur!

by Anonymousreply 21March 7, 2021 5:25 PM

I just read Peter Brown's book on the Beatles. It's brutal to all of the Beatles and to Brian as well. There were nasty and hated each other. Paul was a arrogant egotist and John was a spoiled brat. This book really opened my eyes. He (Peter) knew them all so well. Brian was obsessed with sex and a masochist. He was a drug addict, too. He says John and Brian did it in Spain.

by Anonymousreply 22March 7, 2021 5:36 PM

R20, yes I remember that John, hearing later how greedy Allen Klein had been and how he had mismanaged the Rolling Stones, realized that Paul had been right about Klein. Maybe if Paul had suggested anyone other than his father-in-law, the others would have been more inclined to consider the idea with more of an open mind.

Can't wait for the movie, though. I hope they don't take the 56 hours of footage and condense it to 90 minutes or 2 hours and leave us wondering what else we still haven't seen. I'd rather sit through hours and hours of nothing much for a few interesting moments than have someone decide for me that I wouldn't be interested in any of the remaining 54 or so hours.

Maybe they could release the "A" version as a movie in theatres and provide us options to view the rest of the material via some kind of streaming service or one-time fee or subscription or something.

by Anonymousreply 23March 10, 2021 11:47 PM

Get back to Ellis Island

That's what it means

by Anonymousreply 24March 11, 2021 12:18 AM

Get back, Yoko!

by Anonymousreply 25March 11, 2021 7:33 PM

Can’t wait to see this

by Anonymousreply 26March 16, 2021 3:11 PM

"Get Back" Official Trailer, Oct 13 2021.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 13, 2021 2:54 PM

It was Pakistani immigrants, [R14]. And yes, that's whom the lyrics were directed at.

by Anonymousreply 28October 13, 2021 3:03 PM

November 25 release.

I dunno. It’s been crafted into a film: intro, conflict, resolution, bittersweet ending. I think I’d rather just watch the raw footage. Don’t need some heartwarming movie where they put aside their differences and came together as a group one last time. Just show it as it happened.

by Anonymousreply 29October 13, 2021 4:20 PM

[quote]I think I’d rather just watch the raw footage. Don’t need some heartwarming movie

Yeah, me too but it's a Disney movie, isn't it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2021 1:38 AM

Yoko gets a bad rap for wanting to be treated as her own person alongside John. But didn't Linda basically do the same with Paul? Wings, anyone?

Ringo grew into his looks. He was quite sexy in a quirky way in the late 70's. early 80's.

George seemed like a real pig after hearing what he told David Faustino about Christina Applegate.

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2021 1:49 AM

Allen Klein was married to Joan Collins, they were both on the roof for the famous concert.

by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2021 1:55 AM

I’m excited for it, too.

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2021 1:58 AM

What I always find utterly stunning is how young they were. While recording this album, Paul was 26, George was 25, John and Ringo were 28.

by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2021 2:07 AM

I love how Yoko is looming in the background, and ringo is never seen playing at this point.

by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2021 2:11 AM

“Stella McCartney was in tears when she watched the [“Get Back”] film with her father. “It did occur to me, watching it, that we spent a lot of our childhood with Dad recovering from the turmoil and the breakup,” she told me. “Can you imagine being such a critical part of that creation and then having it crumble? And, as children, we were part of a process in which our dad was mourning. It was not an easy thing for Dad, and it lasted for a lot longer than we probably knew.””

— In “Paul McCartney Doesn’t Really Want to Stop the Show” by David Remnick for The New Yorker (11 October 2021).

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2021 6:03 PM

The footage doesn’t interest me at all. They were breaking up, 3 of them hated each other and they said afterwards that filming in that awful dreary drafty space for hours at a time was awful. And they look miserable, and Yoko hanging around attached to John like a third leg was creepy. Yuck.

No, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2021 6:11 PM

Watch the first clip from The Beatles: Get Back - which premieres on Disney+ from November 25.

Paul, George and Ringo pretending that Yoko does not exist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 13, 2021 1:47 AM

Bump. Anyone watching? What do we think?

by Anonymousreply 39November 27, 2021 4:36 AM

I watched Part One tonight and absolutely loved it! I was expecting vitriol and anger so was happily surprised to see them getting silly with each other. Until the very, very end.

by Anonymousreply 40November 27, 2021 4:43 AM

[quote] What did they do to this footage to make it look so contemporary? It looks like it was shot yesterday, and on high-resolution video.

It doesn’t. And even with your highest res setting on whatever browser you were using (on YouTube, for that video it’s 1080p), it shouldn’t look like video unless your monitor is set so the dreaded “motion smoothing” effect is on. (The one that makes things look like soap opera video.)

The film looks to have been shot on 35mm, and merely scanned at a high resolution to capture the lovely film grain. That does not alter or doctor the image in any way whatsoever, as R6 suggested it does. The only magic that could be performed is dirt removal or damage repair, but that still wouldn’t make it look like it was shot on video. Looks like they went with the correct color timing, too, so no revisionist BS there.

I don’t have Disney+ but I would like to eventually see this (maybe on Blu ray?), even though I am generally not a fan of the Let It Be album or this late, miserable period of the band in general.

by Anonymousreply 41November 27, 2021 4:52 AM

[quote]George seemed like a real pig after hearing what he told David Faustino about Christina Applegate.

Something that really sticks out in documentaries about George or the Beatles is that the men all think he's the best human being who ever walked the earth, while the women in his life either won't participate at all or have plenty of horror stories to tell. This was really obvious in the Scorsese documentary, albeit unintentionally obvious.

by Anonymousreply 42November 27, 2021 5:00 AM

I really wasn't a fan of Peter Jackson's WW1 film (way too much fucking around with the footage to make it look modern) and in fact I haven't liked any of Jackson's work since the 90s. Will still try to be cautiously optimistic about this anyway (and see if someone will lend me a Disney password).

by Anonymousreply 43November 27, 2021 5:08 AM

"About the space between us...."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2021 6:55 AM

Listened to Peter Jackson’s interview on tv this week in New Zealand. I think he said it’s in 4 parts. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2021 8:06 AM

I watched part 1 last night and I loved it. Just watching those songs being born/created was amazing!!! It's crazy to think they were still in their 20's creating all that music. George was 25 during those rehearsals - the baby of the group. You can see/feel the tension between Paul and George regarding the material. Also, it was amazing to see Paul pushing and leading the band.

by Anonymousreply 46November 27, 2021 8:48 AM

It's amazing to be a fly on the wall to this extent.

Everyone yawning as Paul hones Let it Be. OK keep yawning boys.

"Mister" Epstein still so missed.

When they get in a groove, the pure joy and fabulous fresh music from them all.

Billy Preston injecting life into the room, instantly. Yoko so jealous, so up front in between the two P and J, but Paul very tolerant of her. Linda sits back and respects the creativity in the studio much more.

Kind George Martin and faithful Mal, wizard Gyln Johns helping to form what they know is history happening before them, probably for the last time. Starting Part 3 ,Don't want it to end

by Anonymousreply 47November 27, 2021 4:01 PM

R47

I’m watching the scene where John and Paul were being recorded talking about George and their group dynamic. So fascinating. I’ve also really enjoyed watching Yoko and Linda sitting around watching and chatting. The band seem to be fine with Yoko, tbh.

by Anonymousreply 48November 27, 2021 7:26 PM

I loved the whole thing. It's interesting how, with the same 60+ hours of source material, whoever created the movie "Let it Be" focused on the negative moments, while Jackson showed both the good and the bad.

It was amazing to see McCartney's mind work. Random strumming of the bass, and all of a sudden the bass line of Get Back comes out.

by Anonymousreply 49November 28, 2021 12:02 AM

The first time I saw The Beatles: LOVE in Vegas, I was bowled over by those little snippets of audio they played of them doodling between songs during recording sessions. It was so intimate, so loose, so human. And now we're getting eight freaking hours of that!

Part one was Heaven. Can’t wait to start part two later tonight.

by Anonymousreply 50November 28, 2021 12:09 AM

R49, its R47 here. I loved that recorded conversation in the cafeteria too! They have so many years of closeness, they recording of their "secret" conversation was still filled with love and concern, like a couple of parents with a problem but gifted child. The they do the mom and pop lightly blame each other thing too. It's so fascinating. We know the characters in this musical Shakespeare play as if they are our own family. R50 - Parts 2 and 3 are even better. I have been on a roller-coaster of emotions with this. Fantastic accomplishment by all.

by Anonymousreply 51November 28, 2021 2:36 AM

Does it count that I saw this in the theater when it was released? I possess a sort of odd feeling that people come to these Beatles projects like it's something new, and they've just discovered it. I think maybe it's social media. Yeah, fantastic, but do you have to fly to twidster and Farcicalty Brook to fucking announce it to 1253 of your 'friends'? In 1970 we didn't merch it, we watched it and enjoyed it. And no, I didn't EMBRACE it. That shit came 30 years later in branch meetings in Corporate America.

by Anonymousreply 52November 28, 2021 3:30 AM

R52, you're thinking of "Let it Be", from the 70s. Yes, this is from the same source materials, but unlike "Let it Be", which seemed to focus on the negative times in that period, Jackson fleshed it out more to also include the positive and creative aspects too. It's worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 53November 28, 2021 12:59 PM

I’ve finished all three parts and could watch three more! It’s a completely fascinating look into their creative process and private relationships (though they are obviously always aware of the camera).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 28, 2021 1:33 PM

^Hopefully a better link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 28, 2021 2:10 PM

Did any of them accidentally or intentionally present dong?

by Anonymousreply 56November 28, 2021 2:19 PM

I remember when The Beatles Anthology was first aired on tv Thanksgiving 1995. It had some great concert footage but surprisingly low ratings. It had clips of each of the Beatles discussing past experiences of the band. I'm not sure if I'd like Get Back as much.

by Anonymousreply 57November 28, 2021 2:22 PM

I am a Beatles nut and I loved Get Back. It was very strange that it looked like it was filmed last week and didn't seem dated at all. There were only a couple of obvious 1968 fashions that stood out. There are a number interviews popping up with people who were there 50 years later - amazing how positive and happy they were. I will say Yoko really looks and acts like a black crow - one can see how she destroyed the Beatles. Linda Eastman was very pretty. I saw them perform when I was 11 in Seattle.

by Anonymousreply 58November 28, 2021 4:17 PM

I see a lot of racist racial bias towards Yoko, and praise for Linda.

This is definitely the pro white supremacy thread for sure. The hatred of the Asian woman is strong.

White is good, but that evil yellow woman has to go because she's bad.

Sums this thread up nicely.

by Anonymousreply 59November 28, 2021 5:36 PM

Some of my thoughts:

- They loved each other dearly and were brilliant together

- They had been together almost 24 hours a day for years with very few breaks, often under pressure and often in strange situations. They naturally sometimes got tired of each other's annoying habits. It only surprises and impresses me how they still tried hard to be tolerant, accommodating and considerate with each other

- They were amazingly productive, creative and witty (I find John especially hilarious, although I don't think I'd want to be the target of his wit!)

- To me, the only annoying people in the documentary were Dick James and Michael Lindsay-Hogg (who struck me as a pompous know-it-all)

- They gave us so much but I still greedily wish it could have been ten times more

- They always sounded beautiful together

by Anonymousreply 60December 2, 2021 7:17 PM

Agree with all your points ^^^ This was such a gift to the fans.

by Anonymousreply 61May 4, 2022 10:59 AM

I have an irrational hatred of Paul. My fave is George, then John, the other two can choke on a fat black cheesy uncut cock. Paul is just such a little slimy fucking bitch. I loathe his writing.

by Anonymousreply 62May 4, 2022 12:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!