Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

West Point accuses more than 70 cadets of cheating in worst academic scandal in nearly 45 years

WASHINGTON – More than 70 cadets at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point were accused of cheating on a math exam, the worst academic scandal since the 1970s at the Army's premier training ground for officers.

Fifty-eight cadets admitted cheating on the exam, which was administered remotely because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Most of them have been enrolled in a rehabilitation program and will be on probation for the remainder of their time at the academy. Others resigned, and some face hearings that could result in their expulsion.

The scandal strikes at the heart of the academy's reputation for rectitude, espoused by its own moral code, which is literally etched in stone:

“A cadet will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”

Tim Bakken, a law professor at West Point, called the scandal a national security issue. West Point cadets become senior leaders the nation depends on.

"There’s no excuse for cheating when the fundamental code for cadets is that they should not lie, cheat or steal," Bakken said. "Therefore when the military tries to downplay effects of cheating at the academy, we're really downplaying the effects on the military as a whole. We rely on the military to tell us honestly when we should fight wars, and when we can win them."

“The Honor process is working as expected and cadets will be held accountable for breaking the code," McCarthy said in a statement.

“The honor system at West Point is strong and working as designed," Lt. Gen. Darryl Williams, the academy's superintendent, said in a statement. "We made a deliberate decision to uphold our academic standards during the pandemic. We are holding cadets to those standards.”

Army Col. Mark Weathers, West Point's chief of staff, said in an interview Monday that he was "disappointed" in the cadets for cheating, but he did not consider the incident a serious breach of the code. It would not have occurred if the cadets had taken the exam on campus, he said.

"Our West Point cadets are the cream of the crop and are expected to demonstrate unimpeachable character and integrity," Speier said. "They must be held to the same high standard during remote learning as in-person."

Instructors initially determined that 72 plebes, or first-year cadets, and one yearling, or second-year cadet, had cheated on a calculus final exam in May. Those cadets all made the same error on a portion of the exam.

Recently concluded investigations and preliminary hearings for the cadets resulted in two cases being dismissed for lack of evidence and four dropped because the cadets resigned. Of the remaining 67 cases, 55 cadets were found in violation of the honor code and enrolled in a program for rehabilitation Dec. 9. Three more cadets admitted cheating but were not eligible to enroll in what is called the Willful Admission Program.

Cadets in the program are matched with a mentor and write journals and essays on their experience. The process can take up to six months. Cadets in the program are essentially on academic probation.

The remaining cadets accused of cheating face administrative hearings in which a board of cadets will hear the case and decide whether a violation of the code occurred. Another board will recommend penalties, which could include expulsion. West Point's superintendent has the final say on punishment.

One of the biggest cheating scandals among the nation's taxpayer-funded military colleges occurred in 1976 when 153 cadets at West Point resigned or were expelled for cheating on an electrical engineering exam.

Less than half as many cadets were involved in the current cheating case, and all but one was a first-year student, Peterson said. The first-year students are relatively new to the expectations and programs designed to develop ethics and leadership at the academy.

The pandemic has overturned college life as distance learning and exams supplanted in-person learning.

West Point switched to remote learning after spring break last year as the pandemic spread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 20, 2021 4:43 PM

[quote] 72 plebes, or first-year cadets, and one yearling, or second-year cadet, had cheated on a calculus final exam in May. Those cadets all made the same error on a portion of the exam.

Omg.

I thought it would have been upper classmen, and not freshmen.

I weep for this new generation of young adults.

by Anonymousreply 1December 22, 2020 6:03 PM

"I weep for this new generation of young adults."

Why? Cheating is nothing new

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 22, 2020 6:05 PM

This isn't your average school of dumb 18 year olds, R2.

These are the future officers of our military force.

The cream of the crop. The best of the best.

They're all now becoming quite "Trumpian," where it's perfectly fine to cheat.

by Anonymousreply 3December 22, 2020 6:08 PM

shocking? no!

by Anonymousreply 4December 22, 2020 6:10 PM

r3, did you even see what I posted? Cheating has always happened at West Point.

by Anonymousreply 5December 22, 2020 6:10 PM

Losers got caught.

by Anonymousreply 6December 22, 2020 6:13 PM

Pigs in lipstick.

by Anonymousreply 7December 22, 2020 6:42 PM

They deserve strict punishment. Send them to me one or two at a time. I’ll take care of it.

by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2020 6:45 PM

I know one tends to blame Trump for everything but this is so clearly what we have to face in the future. A culture where honor is for suckers according to TPTB. Sure we will have economic pain and our healthcare system is a mess but what he truly has done to us, even those who disagree with him, is show that lying is just another point of view. I hope others will make this connection.

by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2020 6:47 PM

Oh who cares. Just graduate them and dump them into the workforce. Their Secretaries will fix all their mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 10December 22, 2020 6:51 PM

More proof that in the military hierarchy, all look to the commander in chief as a model of behavior.

by Anonymousreply 11December 22, 2020 6:58 PM

R9, I hope you make the connection that this has been happening forever and isn't something that just started, despite your attempts to blame the culture

by Anonymousreply 12December 22, 2020 7:03 PM

r9 Forever is a very long time. Not as long as you have been crawling the earth but still, a long time.

by Anonymousreply 13December 22, 2020 7:16 PM

"They're all now becoming quite "Trumpian," where it's perfectly fine to cheat."

Yup. There's no need for soul searching or breast beating here. When you have a dirtball scumbag as leader of the free world, and one who revels in his dirtball scumbaggery, don't be surprised when other people turn to being a dirtball scumbag to get ahead.

by Anonymousreply 14December 22, 2020 7:24 PM

Once again, people didn't just start cheating in the last few years

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 22, 2020 7:27 PM

R15 wants to lick Trump's shit encrusted asshole real bad!!!

by Anonymousreply 16December 22, 2020 7:33 PM

Kids cheat. All of them. Especially with technology. I teach high school in a wealthy, Northeast enclave -- it's the "smart" ones in the advanced classes who cheat. They know that bringing home As are important. Don't be impressed by fancy schools -- they cheat.

by Anonymousreply 17December 22, 2020 7:37 PM

OmG, OMG, OP! How horrific! However will you cope???

by Anonymousreply 18December 22, 2020 7:38 PM

R16, no, I don't. I'm a liberal. I've found that people who pretend everything was perfect in the past and rant about "kids today" tend to be backwards-looking people aka conservatives

by Anonymousreply 19December 22, 2020 7:40 PM

Cheating scandal at WP in the 1950's??? But Republicans claim white men, the military and the 1950's are the Trifecta of Perfection that the United States must return to at all costs!

Can it somehow be traced back to be Hunter Biden's fault, R15?

by Anonymousreply 20December 22, 2020 7:40 PM

Cheating scandal at WP in the 1950's??? But Republicans claim white men, the military and the 1950's are the Trifecta of Perfection that the United States must return to at all costs!

by Anonymousreply 21December 22, 2020 7:40 PM

by Anonymousreply 22December 22, 2020 7:40 PM

[quote] Kids cheat. All of them. Especially with technology. I teach high school in a wealthy, Northeast enclave -- it's the "smart" ones in the advanced classes who cheat. They know that bringing home As are important. Don't be impressed by fancy schools -- they cheat.

I agree 100%. All kids cheat at all levels of education. But the smart wealthy ones cheat most often. And often it's hardest to detect because they simply pay others to do their work. And I'm not paid enough to hunt it all down and to deal with it all. Not just teachers but institutions also care less than you think. Everyone would prefer it not be discovered. Schoolwork moving online makes it impossible to ignore.

by Anonymousreply 23December 22, 2020 7:44 PM

What's up with military cadets and cheating on calculus exams? I recall eight years ago there was a scandal at the air force academy for the same thing. My take is that military academies aren't accepting the best of the east. Like Ivy League schools these academies have become feeder schools for legacy children to continue the good ole elite club bullshit. Combine that with education going downhill across the board for public schooling and this will happen often.

by Anonymousreply 24December 22, 2020 7:47 PM

R24, actually those schools are harder to get into than ever.

by Anonymousreply 25December 22, 2020 7:50 PM

Omg R20/R21/R22, are you retarded?

by Anonymousreply 26December 22, 2020 7:52 PM

r25 Ivy League or the service academies? The latter just has a longer admission process with a physical fitness component. But there's always backroom deals and networking to get people a spot.

by Anonymousreply 27December 22, 2020 7:54 PM

Pretty much all selective colleges are harder to get into

by Anonymousreply 28December 22, 2020 7:55 PM

I say it is The Trump Effect, lying cheating President makes it seem okay for cadets, in their minds.

by Anonymousreply 29December 22, 2020 7:59 PM

[quote] The first-year students are relatively new to the expectations and programs designed to develop ethics and leadership at the academy.

Of course. No one expects freshmen to have pre-existing ethics. I mean, really!

by Anonymousreply 30December 22, 2020 8:04 PM

And: [quote] he was "disappointed" in the cadets for cheating, but he did not consider the incident a serious breach of the code. It would not have occurred if the cadets had taken the exam on campus, he said.

So the previous cheating scandals occurred where exactly?

by Anonymousreply 31December 22, 2020 8:06 PM

[quote] he did not consider the incident a serious breach of the code. It would not have occurred if the cadets had taken the exam on campus, he said.

And cheating isn't serious if it's online, only if it happens on campus? What a stupid thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 32December 22, 2020 8:09 PM

They are well on their way to becoming Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 33December 22, 2020 8:18 PM

No R26, but my phone is! Sorry for the triple post! Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 34December 22, 2020 8:24 PM

I'll gladly help you, R8!

You've got the right idea.

by Anonymousreply 35December 22, 2020 11:03 PM

These are the types of people we're relying upon not to assist Trump in orchestrating a coup. Good luck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 22, 2020 11:09 PM

Seems like they got off easy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 20, 2021 3:00 AM

I thought this was a selective and elite institution? Why are they handling people with futures in the top ranks with kid gloves?

by Anonymousreply 38April 20, 2021 4:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!