Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jim Parsons could lead ‘The Boys in the Band’ to Oscar glory.

IMO, it believe Parson, Quinto and de Jesus all have a good shot at a nomination.

Best Picture could also be in play. I thought it was well done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 11:43 PM

I thought Parsons was the weakest link

by Anonymousreply 1December 20, 2020 3:02 AM

It will receive zero nominations. Stupid Gold Derby article doesn't even take into account their own charts which show it having no traction.

by Anonymousreply 2December 20, 2020 3:04 AM

Meh, it’s okay, however the original cast had chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 3December 20, 2020 3:06 AM

Quinto was so odd in this

by Anonymousreply 4December 20, 2020 3:09 AM

I just saw this and loved it. Great cast. I wonder what Alan had to tell Michael...

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2021 6:13 PM

This movie has gotten ZERO Oscar buzz.

Hell, even the Golden Globes ignored it, and the Hollywood Foreign Press will lob a nomination at just about anything (see Madonna in "Evita").

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2021 6:19 PM

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2021 6:20 PM

It didn't bring anything new to the table except a more racial sensitive update.

Personally I prefer Kenneth Nelson's performance in the 70's version. It had heart and a wounded soul. Parsons' performance was a bit shrill coming from wounded pride.

But I love Parsons other work.

by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 6:38 PM

Oscar? I thought it was a TV movie for Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2021 7:04 PM

Heavens no!

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2021 7:05 PM

I would bet you a hundred to one OP is Lynn Stairmaster.

"Oscars for everyone! Including Gavroche!"

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2021 7:13 PM

Uh, no, honey. It was horrif.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2021 8:04 PM

OP must be the same idiot who wrote the article for the idiotic Gold Derby.

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2021 8:05 PM

I guess Parsons was ok, but his character is such an asshole I have a hard time rooting for him.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2021 9:17 PM

Zero effect. Not a single nomination will it garner. There's no buzz surrounding this film only a barely audible drone.

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2021 9:20 PM

R1. No, that was Jane Lynch as Ghost Justin

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2021 9:39 PM

I really don't understand the hate for this movie. I thought it was very well done. I don't know about Oscar nom, but I thought Parsons did a great job.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2021 9:41 PM

R17 It felt like a run through of the original film and suffered in every way by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2021 9:46 PM

It didn't even do well on the platform it was released on.

Not to mention the fact that the damn thing has been staged and remade more than once. It did not break any new ground that the original movie didn't cover.

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2021 9:48 PM

Unless I’m incorrect, it’s a made for TV movie, not a theatrical release. How could it be “Oscar worthy?”

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2021 10:22 PM

R20, It's a Netflix release feature film, which is considered a theatrical release in the year of COVID without having to do much at all.

It's no different than Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, Mank or Hillbilly Elegy which all were released as streaming films and all will have the potential to be nominated for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2021 11:27 PM

Thanks to COVID, one might say this is the year of the TV Movie Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 11:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!