Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Maude

Has this series aged well?

by Anonymousreply 60February 22, 2021 5:09 PM

Yeah, I would say so. There were some really good episodes along with a handful of forgettable ones.

by Anonymousreply 1December 18, 2020 9:41 PM

No. It’s on cable tv every night. FeTv.

by Anonymousreply 2December 18, 2020 9:43 PM

The characters scream at one another in every episode.

by Anonymousreply 3December 18, 2020 9:45 PM

R3: at least some of the things they scream at each other are screamingly funny in a way no US live-action network sitcom of the past 30 years has been.

by Anonymousreply 4December 18, 2020 9:58 PM

It’s aged better than Amanda’s.

by Anonymousreply 5December 18, 2020 10:01 PM

At least when Bea Arthur was having an abortion, she was only pretending that she couldn’t really have children in actuality. That’s more than I can say for Bitchlyssa MilanHO, whose show not only doesn’t even qualify for the test of time despite having the same production company, but who obviously used it as a form of birth control for years. And that’s just the two the bitch will publicly admit to.

by Anonymousreply 6December 18, 2020 10:25 PM

Maude was a fucken virago.

by Anonymousreply 7December 18, 2020 10:31 PM

Satire rarely does

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2020 10:38 PM

No. I'm not a fan of Bea Arthur, and I saw enough family fights as a child back then. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2020 10:48 PM

No it didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 10December 19, 2020 10:29 AM

... and then there's Maude!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 19, 2020 10:40 AM

CL, "It sure isn't Maude....

by Anonymousreply 12December 19, 2020 10:56 AM

I just watched the two-part abortion episode, “Maude’s Dilemma.” It was very matter-of-fact about the whole thing. I think if it were done today, there would be great pains taken to “both sides” it.

This was before Roe v. Wade, so I don’t think it was a huge national conversation in 1972. The only thing that kind of surprised me was how insistent Carol was that Maude not have the baby.

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2021 10:18 PM

Last year I watched the entire series on one of the substations, from episode one right to the end, and it holds up surprisingly well.

However, they do tend to scream at each other in nearly every episode…

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2021 10:21 PM

"What did I want with his power tools?"

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2021 10:29 PM

It is airing in the afternoon on a local TV station in Toronto

Most interesting is that many times, the station airs a disclaimer saying "Parental discretion is advised"

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2021 10:30 PM

I enjoy it, but it’s like a one act play. The sets never really change and I can’t distinguish one episode from the other.

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2021 10:31 PM

I'll take "Actresses Who Played the Same Character In Everything They Do" for $500, Alex.

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2021 10:45 PM

Adrienne Barbreau had quite big tits.

by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2021 10:45 PM

One of the best theme songs ever.

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2021 10:52 PM

Not at all!

by Anonymousreply 21February 18, 2021 10:57 PM

my mother was a "women's libber" and loved the show. I found it annoying with all the screaming but she did get in some good zingers but her poor husband and daughter.

by Anonymousreply 22February 18, 2021 10:59 PM

God'll get you for that, r21

by Anonymousreply 23February 18, 2021 11:01 PM

The theme song still rocks. Love that B3.

by Anonymousreply 24February 19, 2021 12:27 AM

Carol's big tits will never go out of style.

by Anonymousreply 25February 19, 2021 12:34 AM

I'll never tire of Florida.

Buh-duhmp.

by Anonymousreply 26February 19, 2021 1:01 AM

It's really mostly held up well.

Occasionally a bit over the top, but I love most of the episodes.

It lost the plot a bit in the final year, and ran out of stories. But prior to that, it was very honest and well done. And Bea was masterful.

by Anonymousreply 27February 19, 2021 1:12 AM

I love it. I enjoy it more than I like The Golden Girls. But, I can understand are argument that it's somewhat dated. After all, those episodes are nearly 50 years old at this point.

by Anonymousreply 28February 19, 2021 1:51 AM

Maude is (still) an excellent and amusing show. I have the complete series on DVD (after watching the entire show for the first time on Antenna TV). I even visited Tuckahoe, NY, because of the show. Maude lives on Elm St. in Tuckahoe. Yes, there is an actual Elm St. in Tuckahoe but it's a very short street in the business district, without any houses.

by Anonymousreply 29February 19, 2021 2:45 AM

The house they used for exterior shots as Maude's house is located in Claremont, CA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 19, 2021 2:51 AM

BTW, The Golden Girls house is in Brentwood. This is what the interior really looks like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 19, 2021 2:53 AM

I used to run home from the Boy Scouts to watch Maude !!

by Anonymousreply 32February 19, 2021 3:13 AM

better than Angie

by Anonymousreply 33February 19, 2021 3:15 AM

Watching Bea as Maude on All In The Family showed how good she could be in the role when she was surrounded by a good cast. The supporting cast in the series Maude was just dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 34February 19, 2021 3:22 AM

R34 I don't agree. Yes, Adrienne Barbeau and Esther Rolle were pretty limited. But Bill Macy, Rue McClanahan, Conrad Bain, and Hermione Baddeley were all top notch supporting players.

I would say the series biggest problem was inconsistent scripts. While there are great episodes, it wasn't as uniformly well written as All in the Family.

by Anonymousreply 35February 19, 2021 1:07 PM

Bill Macy was pretty good in it. Walter could have easily degenerated to being a door mat for Maude. He was always very close, but Macy was able to hold his own against Maude/Athur - who was quite the bully.

by Anonymousreply 36February 19, 2021 1:28 PM

It's SO STRANGE to hear BLANCHE with that YANKEE accent.

by Anonymousreply 37February 19, 2021 1:41 PM

It's even stranger to hear Mr. Drummond take the conservative point of view instead of that of the whitesplaining mainsplaining str8splaining neoliberal oligarchs he usually sticks up for. Ah, who am I kidding? Both he and Arthur Harmon were whitesplainers, mansplainers, and str8splainers.

by Anonymousreply 38February 19, 2021 6:23 PM

[quote] I would say the series biggest problem was inconsistent scripts. While there are great episodes, it wasn't as uniformly well written as All in the Family.

I don't think [italic]All in the Family[/italic] holds up as well as Norman Lear's other shows. Any of the post-Jeffersons pre-Stephanie episodes that focus on the Meathead are literally painful to watch. He could be as sexist as Archie was racist. He even once accused Gloria of trying to make baby Joey gay through overprotective mothering (Ricky Schroder's mother makes me wish that was true). Now I know why they got five more years without him. Even excluding [italic]Archie Bunker's Place[/italic], the worst episodes of AitF were cringeworthy. The worst episodes of [italic]Maude[/italic] were just unmemorable. At least Bea Arthur knew when to quit both here and on GG. Carroll O'Connor kept milking the cow until it was dry. And when Ol' Golf Hat, tried to go back for one last glass of milk, all that was left was a bag of bones. Remember the show from the 1990s about the Black family living in Archie's house?

I'd honestly even rather watch the Axis of Teenage Angst that [italic]Diff'rent Strokes, The Facts of Life[/italic], and [italic]Silver Spoons[/italic] constituted. Along with [italic]227[/italic] and [italic]Married with Children[/italic], the only post-Lear Embassy shows that were hits, those shows make me question whether Lear himself added all that much of value to the mix because they had plenty of flops that he actually got credited for. His writers, directors, producers, and actors could still do good work without him breathing down their necks. But everything he has tried that wasn't a reboot has been a failure. [italic]The Powers that Be[/italic]? Flop. [italic]Sunday Dinner[/italic]? Flop. The animated [italic]Channel Umptee-3[/italic]? Flop. They didn't even want his pilot about a retirement home because Fox beat him to it with that stupid [italic]Cool Kids[/italic] show, and it flopped, too.

And I still think Lear has a serious issue with Black men. Other than Lester Jenkins on [italic]227[/italic] which he had nothing to do with, every Black male father figure on an Embassy show is either a bigot or a bully, and it is usually other Black men who get the worst of it. Threats of violent corporal punishment are punctuated by uproarious laughter from the studio audience they gloat about having. On this show, Victoria's father is typical of that attitude. He's demanding, stubborn, and sexist. Maude herself says, "I never thought I'd say this to a Black man, but I don't like you."

by Anonymousreply 39February 19, 2021 6:47 PM

Everything he has tried in TV in the past 40 years, that is.

by Anonymousreply 40February 19, 2021 6:49 PM

Conrad Bain as "Arthur" was underrated. After Bea, he's my favorite on the show.

by Anonymousreply 41February 19, 2021 6:53 PM

R19, SNL did a sketch called the Man Show (I think) with Gary Busey and the men on the panel were asked their favorite actress; Adrienne won across the board.

by Anonymousreply 42February 19, 2021 6:54 PM

Walter, Vivian, and Mrs. Naugatuck were the best characters.

Maude and Arthur both deserved each other.

by Anonymousreply 43February 19, 2021 6:55 PM

R34 I’ve written about that before here and I totally agree with you. The scenes with “Mawde” and Archie are so damn funny and a big part of why is because you had two immense talents bringing out the best in each other. Maude is totally lopsided because all the actors/characters are basically “serving” Bea punchlines and she just looks like a bully too much of the time.

I know Bea preferred not to be in an ensemble but great talents are best performing with other “great talents.” MTM was smart enough to know that. And that’s why the Golden Girls will always be so much better to me (and for some other reasons as well). I also thought Dorothy Z was a much more realistic (and funny) character - although I guess it depends how you like your “Bea served.”

The Maude theme song is the fucking best, though. And I do appreciate how politically incorrect it could be - and get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 44February 19, 2021 7:16 PM

She actually was a bully on GG. In the last season, how many times did she threaten Sophia's life?

by Anonymousreply 45February 19, 2021 7:28 PM

R45 that’s because Sophia was an abusive cunt (especially S7) who drove her fucking nuts. It was funny because almost all of us would do the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 46February 19, 2021 8:27 PM

That's because Maude wasn't Italian.

by Anonymousreply 47February 19, 2021 8:29 PM

Did Maude and Sue Ann Nivens fuck on the set of Golden Girls?

by Anonymousreply 48February 19, 2021 8:37 PM

Rue was at her prettiest here. Bea looks much better in GG.

by Anonymousreply 49February 19, 2021 8:41 PM

Rue looks 10 years older on Maude than she did on GGs.

by Anonymousreply 50February 19, 2021 8:43 PM

Bea had an excellent facelift between Maude and GG, and she lost a ton of weight. She looked much better on GG.

by Anonymousreply 51February 19, 2021 8:48 PM

R29- I grew up near Tuckahoe. There used to be a restaurant there called MAUDES.

by Anonymousreply 52February 19, 2021 8:52 PM

Could they afford to live in Tuckahoe today?

by Anonymousreply 53February 19, 2021 8:54 PM

She was the TERFiest TERF who ever TERFed. Seriously, even Pat Robertson is more progressive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 19, 2021 8:56 PM

I don't think Tuckahoe is particularly expensive today and besides the Finlay's were Upper Middle Class. They could probably afford it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 55February 19, 2021 8:57 PM

It's a bargain compared to New York City.

by Anonymousreply 56February 19, 2021 9:00 PM

Thanks to this thread, I pulled out my discs of the show and started on season 2. Walter facing the fact that he's an alcoholic is a combination of humor and personal drama that makes more of a point in 50 minutes than "The Lost Weekend" and "Days of Wine and Roses" did in two hours each.

by Anonymousreply 57February 20, 2021 1:43 AM

R50 absolutely. She also looked older on the first season of GG than the last (in fact, she basically got younger looking every season).

Also, she was a total non entity on Maude. Even though it’s my opinion that she was the best actress on GG, unlike Bea and Betty, whom I’ve liked or loved in just about anything else, I’ve never cared for her in any other role. She really was born to play Blanche.

by Anonymousreply 58February 20, 2021 2:18 AM

Rue was 14 years younger than Bea, but Maude and Vivian were supposed to be the same age (they were friends since college) so I believe they aged up Rue a bit with the gray hair and dowdy clothes to make her look significantly older.

by Anonymousreply 59February 20, 2021 2:24 AM

How progressive of her to exploit the labor of Black and immigrant women and call that female solidarity.

by Anonymousreply 60February 22, 2021 5:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!