Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are New Yorkers ready for Mayor Yang?

Will New Yorkers vote for him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 15, 2021 8:14 PM

Not liberal enough for some.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 17, 2020 2:19 AM

Too ethnic.

by Anonymousreply 2December 17, 2020 2:24 AM

Does he carry a big stick?

by Anonymousreply 3December 17, 2020 2:31 AM

I have a hard time imagining how he'll deal with the police union, which is run by a corrupt SOB.

by Anonymousreply 4December 17, 2020 2:32 AM

New Wok is more than ready.

by Anonymousreply 5December 17, 2020 2:40 AM

He'd be a great choice. But I wish billionaires would stop running for office.

by Anonymousreply 6December 17, 2020 2:51 AM

Ugh, he's addicted to losing almost as much as Trump. How many offices is he gonna run for and lose?

by Anonymousreply 7December 17, 2020 3:03 AM

He filed for it today per CNN.

by Anonymousreply 8December 24, 2020 1:31 PM

He will be a better mayer than Cuomo. Cuomo has been hated for his handling of Corona despite how hard the media spun it.

by Anonymousreply 9December 24, 2020 1:35 PM

I heard that Max Rose guy who just lost his Congressional seat plans to run also.

by Anonymousreply 10December 24, 2020 1:36 PM

I hate him for saying he would pardon Trump if President. Fuck him and all of the people still rallying for him.

by Anonymousreply 11December 24, 2020 1:37 PM

R9 Cuomo isn't mayor. He is the governor.

by Anonymousreply 12December 24, 2020 1:39 PM

[Quote]He will be a better mayer than Cuomo.

A Civics and English Class "Oh, dear".

by Anonymousreply 13December 24, 2020 1:39 PM

Files for mayor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 24, 2020 1:42 PM

I'll be the Ying to his yang

by Anonymousreply 15December 24, 2020 1:45 PM

Sum Ting Wong.

by Anonymousreply 16December 24, 2020 1:45 PM

Wrong race though, OP. Race race race.

by Anonymousreply 17December 24, 2020 1:49 PM

Wholly unsuitable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 24, 2020 1:50 PM

He seems like a carpet bagger

by Anonymousreply 19December 24, 2020 1:50 PM

Yeah, who does he think he is coming in and running for office in our state?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 24, 2020 1:55 PM

He’ll win.

by Anonymousreply 21December 24, 2020 2:00 PM

I know it's a cliche, but Yang really *is* someone who "thinks outside the box." I admire him greatly for his brave advocacy of a universal basic income. It's high time we start taking care of the most vulnerable in our country, the way other "civilized" countries do.

by Anonymousreply 22December 24, 2020 2:08 PM

I like him.

by Anonymousreply 23December 24, 2020 2:09 PM

The Mayor of NYC has control of basically three things - the cops, the schools and the prisons. Virtually everything else about the city needs the signoff of Albany (it's a relic of the 70s fiscal crisis). The cops are a law unto themselves, the schools are uneven but all the rich people are leaving and the prisons are mired in litigation and neglect.

by Anonymousreply 24December 24, 2020 2:17 PM

R19 why is he a carpetbagger? He was born in NY state and lived there all his life, started business based in NYC where he and his family lives. His brother is a professor at NYU.

I can see NT Times foaming at the mouth now at the prospect of a mayor who’s the wrong non-white race. NYT editorial writers don’t want problem-solver who thinks outside the box, they want inept figurehead who represent far-left agenda.

by Anonymousreply 25December 24, 2020 2:51 PM

Is that why they endorsed Bloomberg for a second term? And Christine Quinn over deBlasio in the primaries? Fucking dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 26December 24, 2020 3:06 PM

"Yeah, who does he think he is coming in and running for office in our state?!"

Damn right. The nerve!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 24, 2020 4:04 PM

Big difference between NYT of even just 2-3 years ago to NYT today in 2020. The editorial board today parrots the most ridiculous aspects of identity politics and the extreme woke crowd. It’s become a parody.

by Anonymousreply 28December 24, 2020 4:06 PM

Most semi-legitimate candidates will be an improvement over Bill DeBlasio. I'd support either Corey or Andrew.

by Anonymousreply 29December 24, 2020 4:22 PM

It's true - the NYT Editorial board has made a concerted effort to include more black people, more Asian people, more women. This clearly infuriates R28 who wishes it would go back to being 25 Upper West Side rich guys. Also, no one uses the word "woke" except bitter old semi-racists.

by Anonymousreply 30December 24, 2020 4:50 PM

R30 is an extreme, woke (yeah I’m using it again) moron who can’t see the NYT editorials for the parodies that they’ve become. Try harder, moron, go search my other posts and tell me I’m a racist or a rich guy who rail against lower socioeconomic groups. Quite the opposite. Woke (oops I just used it again) morons like yourself have no cogent arguments so you resort to labeling people with viewpoints as racists, the olds who should be put out to pasture, etc... Again try harder, I’m part Asian and ,was raised by a divorced, single mother who didn’t speak English when she immigrated here. You think you’re so clever with “bitter, old” to describe people whom you disagree with, when all you’re doing is showing yourself to be a dumbfuck ageist. Guess what, you’re going to be “old” like 40-year-old me sooner than you’d expect. Hopefully time will temper some of your inability to tolerate differences in opinions.

Some of us are Dems who don’t agree with the type of destructive identity politics being espoused by far-left morons. Some of us want leaders who are willing to think beyond those divisive tactics and come up with solutions to socioeconomic disparities. You might not want to antagonize people on the same, left side of the political spectrum like you’re doing now with identity politics gone amok.

by Anonymousreply 31December 24, 2020 5:57 PM

R28 / R31 forgot to take his pills today.

by Anonymousreply 32December 24, 2020 6:02 PM

He's not even close to a billionaire R6. He's worth somewhere between $1MM and $5MM

And as noted R19, he lives near New Paltz and has been a lifelong New Yorker and started businesses in NYC

by Anonymousreply 33December 24, 2020 6:03 PM

I love how R31 thinks it triggering to use the word 'woke.' Trumpists like him think that people who don't like them are emotionally fragile. I'm not. I just think you're stupid and wrong.

by Anonymousreply 34December 24, 2020 6:26 PM

Anything to get the current First Lady & reigning Grifter Dyke, Surelame DeBlacksio, out of office and away the coffers to fleece.

by Anonymousreply 35December 24, 2020 10:00 PM

That isn't racist at all.

by Anonymousreply 36December 25, 2020 7:42 AM

R9

Andrew Cuomo is governor of New York State, he has never been mayor of New York City.

by Anonymousreply 37December 25, 2020 9:32 AM

I can see how this will play out on TV in China: “Ying yang ying yang new mayor New York yang yang ying yang...”

by Anonymousreply 38December 25, 2020 9:36 AM

I thought yang was from California? And he is not a billionaire. He always talks about the wealth he does have, as just a few dollars. Unless he's one of these people who constantly downplays their enormous wealth?

Had no idea he was from NY.

by Anonymousreply 39December 25, 2020 10:31 AM

Anyone outside the NYC Democratic machine is better than anyone within it. So I will vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 40December 25, 2020 10:50 AM

[quote]Somebody Had To Say It

Actually, no. No one had to say it. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 41December 25, 2020 10:59 AM

I’m mixed race, thought it was funny and will vote for Yang, R41. So fuck off scold!

by Anonymousreply 42December 25, 2020 11:03 AM

Will he give us all $1k a month?

by Anonymousreply 43December 25, 2020 11:51 AM

He would be great. It would be nice to have a competent person at the helm who cares about education, supports basic income, is not lazy, and is not burdened by Marxist ideology.

by Anonymousreply 44December 25, 2020 12:03 PM

Yang needs to tax the remaining corporations and wealthy people in NYC and distribute the money as basic income. The resulting collapse of the city will be an important lesson to all.

by Anonymousreply 45December 25, 2020 12:28 PM

I love it when dummies like R45 chime in to help protect the poor, defenseless super-rich. Manhattan has only been an island of the 1% for about 15 years and has existed as a city for centuries. It'll be fine if some of the rich people fucking leave.

by Anonymousreply 46December 26, 2020 12:01 AM

Extremely intelligent man who thinks outside the box and ahead of time. I like and admire him. Not sure if his skin’s thick enough to handle the task tho

by Anonymousreply 47December 26, 2020 12:06 AM

I don't really care for him, i don't like his followers on twitter, obnoxious know-it-alls like Bernies crowd. I bet half of his followers sat home or voted Trump. I will say that anyone is better than the stale professional politicians that NYC has, i prefer Max Rose.

by Anonymousreply 48December 26, 2020 1:13 AM

I'm a huge fan of Yang, but running for Mayor of NYC isn't it. First, he's never lived in the city. Yang is from upstate NYS, but NYC is a completely different region. I like Yang's penchant for thinking outside the box, but NYC is a lot more complicated & much more difficult to navigate. Also, its worth noting that all past Mayors & their election opponents held public office in the City. Yang hasn't done that & its a big disadvantage for him. You have to get your feet wet before diving into the Mayoral pool.

Now I do think that Yang has a better shot if he primaried Cuomo. Its a long shot but so many people are sick & tired of Cuomo throughout the state, Yang actually has a chance.

by Anonymousreply 49December 26, 2020 1:21 AM

r49 They always say that but good luck beating Cuomo

by Anonymousreply 50December 26, 2020 1:25 AM

No. I'm hope to see Maya Wiley become Mayor. She's a lawyer and civil rights activist. She served as board chair on the NYC civilian complaint review board and also council to DeBlasio and a bunch of other stuff. She's way more qualified and diverse than the one issue Andrew Yang, who grew up in in wealth and privilege.

by Anonymousreply 51December 26, 2020 1:30 AM

test.

by Anonymousreply 52December 26, 2020 1:59 AM

We absolutely need someone outside this current inept, corrupt administration (ie not Scott Stringer) and Yang is the perfect person to do the job and revive the city. We need a true change and a total break from this whole crew. So it’s either Yang or a Republican that comes with his own problems, I’d much rather go with Yang. It’s a cliché but he really does think outside of the box and that’s exactly what we need.

by Anonymousreply 53December 26, 2020 6:42 AM

I really feel like NYC would eat yany alive. I comes off as somewhat timid to me. Almost like he's hesitant to take the next step.

But good luck to him, he seems like a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 54December 26, 2020 7:45 AM

This is the fear...

Republicans are nazis. The nazis start running for office in the Dem party. Both political parties being taken over by nazis. Yang is not an outsider, he is a life long fascist.

Bloomberg is a fascist and a RACIST. He did the stop and frisk program in New York. He was told that it was RACIST, DANGEROUS and UNCONSTITUTIONAL, and he could care less.

by Anonymousreply 55December 26, 2020 8:01 AM

With R51 and R55 The Datalounge has scaled new heights in political discussion profundity.

by Anonymousreply 56December 26, 2020 8:27 AM

R56 Au contraire. R55 has simply pointed out what has been evident for years. That there is no difference between Dems and Repubs. Both are bigoted, racist, authoritarian and dictatorial. The only difference between them is their targets. And mostly, not even that.

by Anonymousreply 57December 26, 2020 8:30 AM

Too many blacks in the city who hate Asians to the point they think it's acceptable to sucker punch and choke random Asians. You really think they're going to vote for one to rule them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 26, 2020 8:39 AM

R24

Prisons are controlled by NYS, jails and other local lock-ups (such as Rikers Island) are under NYC mayoral control .

As for public school system Albany only rather recently returned control to mayoral (NYC) control, and IIRC that action expires periodically and either must be renewed or authority returns upstate.

Just as mentioned previously in this thread mayors of NYC do not have great control, much of that power lies upstate in Albany. This came about over the decades for two main reasons; corruption and fiscal mismanagement What things NYC government did control they ended up having to cede that authority in whole or part to Albany during fiscal crisis of 1970's.

Albany can fuck with NYC four thousand ways from Sunday, something easily seen these past several years as Cuomo and de Blasio have been often at each other's throats. In fact the governor seems to delight in messing with BdeB. Even during covid-19 crisis those two couldn't bury the hatchet. BdeB would say city schools would open, Cuomo would turn around and say "no, they won't".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 26, 2020 8:51 AM

Yang is offering free money.

by Anonymousreply 60December 26, 2020 8:59 AM

At this point, NYC could elect a Republican. That’s how much of a mess the city is.

by Anonymousreply 61December 26, 2020 9:00 AM

NYC’s mayoral races have always been very media heavy. Yang may be brilliant but he’ll be a hard sell unless he is ready to be packaged as a candidate.

by Anonymousreply 62December 26, 2020 9:15 AM

It strikes me that whoever is elected, they need to have a strong relationship with the state in order to get anything done.

There appears to be few leavers for any mayor to pull without Albany's approval.

by Anonymousreply 63December 26, 2020 9:19 AM

It'll be interesting to see how he handles the heat of the campaign once he becomes a target, unlike the Presidential race where he was barely challenged because he was never a real threat.

by Anonymousreply 64December 26, 2020 10:10 AM

He speaks of a robust pension/social security system. This is not outside the box thinking. Yang is just plagiarizing these social programs as his own. He really is just a WHORE of the Billionaires against Democracy. He is a WHORE and a fucking Fascist. He has no experience.

by Anonymousreply 65December 26, 2020 10:29 AM

Wants to pardon Trump? Hell no. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 66December 26, 2020 10:45 AM

R65 Just how is he a fascist.

by Anonymousreply 67December 26, 2020 10:57 AM

No more billionaires, thank you. We have learned our lesson. No more top down politics without grassroots social experience. Basta.

by Anonymousreply 68December 26, 2020 11:35 AM

Yeah, R68, revolutionary Bill DeBlasio has worked out so well.

by Anonymousreply 69December 26, 2020 11:45 AM

Yang is not a billionaire.

How is he a fascist ?

I don’t think I’ve ever considered voting for a Republican, except as mayor.

After Bloomberg’s ridiculous third term I never wanted to see him again, but now I’d give him the keys to the city to come back and clean things up.

Cleaning up the homeless problem is my top concern. Having a mayor who can work with Albany to persuade them to fix the mta is the second. De Blasio sucks and is weak. We need someone who will get shit done.

by Anonymousreply 70December 26, 2020 12:18 PM

Has Rosy O'Donnell weighed in yet?

by Anonymousreply 71December 26, 2020 12:41 PM

Is Yang paying people to say he "thinks outside the box"?

by Anonymousreply 72December 26, 2020 1:03 PM

Why is it so impossible for NYC to get a hung, good looking, gym rat mayor? What's Zeb Atlas up to these days?

by Anonymousreply 73December 26, 2020 1:09 PM

Zeb Atlas is probably a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 74December 26, 2020 1:14 PM

My dick is bigger than all of the other candidates'. Vote for me and bring glamor back to the office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 26, 2020 1:28 PM

Vote for Cuomo, not the homo.

by Anonymousreply 76December 26, 2020 1:36 PM

What solutions does he have for NYC?

Or is he all fur coat and no knickers ATM?

by Anonymousreply 77December 26, 2020 2:01 PM

Yang all the way. Anyone but a Republican or DeBlasio & his Grifter Wife.

by Anonymousreply 78January 1, 2021 10:37 PM

I wouldn’t mind a republican for mayor. I’ll vote for someone to keep my taxes down and property value up.

by Anonymousreply 79January 2, 2021 12:39 AM

I am NOT saying the democratic party is problematic, at all. The Republican party is the one that is PURE EVIL.

I am saying a Fascist, backed by billionaires, could run for elected office in the Democratic Party. This would be a nightmare scenario, two Hitlers running. This is why it is crucial to only allow people who have a proven track record to run for office in the Democratic Party. Furthermore, it is why the primary and the policy platform of the Democratic Party is imperative.

by Anonymousreply 80January 2, 2021 1:06 AM

UBI wouldn't work

by Anonymousreply 81January 2, 2021 1:11 AM

SO glad this is really happening. We need to purge the city of anyone remotely involved in this administration.

We took care of the White House now it’s time to take care of City Hall (one down, one to go).

Maybe then things will finally start to look up around here.

by Anonymousreply 82January 3, 2021 1:20 AM

You're equating DeBlasio (well meaning, if blundering) with Trump (evil, corrupt, racist, destabilizing American democracy)? Fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 83January 4, 2021 6:40 PM

[quote]To Drake’s “God’s Plan,” @ AndrewYang walks up with his wife, two boys and Rep. @ RitchieTorres to officially kick off his mayoral campaign in Morningside Heights. - Jeff Coltin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 14, 2021 10:03 PM

Anyone other than a "progressive."

by Anonymousreply 85January 14, 2021 10:16 PM

Do y'all have any idea who the other candidates actually are? (Note to poster upthread who likes "Corey" -- Johnson dropped out in September. It's a deep field, but the front runners are at the top of the linked list. The only real unknown factor that could shake up the hierarchy is Christine Quinn, who was a frontrunner in 2014 until deBlasio knocked her out. She still hasn't decided whether to try again,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 14, 2021 10:28 PM

I think it will get down to Stringer and Yang. I am OK with either. Yang did pretty well in the Dem debates.

Stringer knows the city better, though.

by Anonymousreply 87January 14, 2021 10:44 PM

[quote]deBlasio knocked her out

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 88January 14, 2021 10:52 PM

I mean, who else you going to vote for -Curtis Silwa?

by Anonymousreply 89January 15, 2021 12:18 AM

He will never be mayor.

by Anonymousreply 90January 15, 2021 12:19 AM

Andrew was never on my list for President, but I like him and would like to see him go somewhere in politics.

by Anonymousreply 91January 15, 2021 12:32 AM

May your yang meet your ying

by Anonymousreply 92January 15, 2021 12:35 AM

Remember that the mayoral race will used ranked voting for the first time. Some think this will lead to more civil campaigning, because candidates will be contending to hit the 50% mark using 2nd/3rd/etc choices, thus aiming at more voters than their narrow bases.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 15, 2021 8:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!