Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People Who Listen to Folk Rock

Pretentious Assholes, right? They think they get some sort of intellectual cache from it, but they’re just Nickelback fans in better clothes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2021 4:21 PM

About 10 years ago a man came into a store I was working at and I learned his last name was Mumford. I had heard about the band Mumford and Sons and I said, "Mumford? just the band"? He said, "yes, have you ever listened to them"? I said, "no, I haven't", he said, "sweetheart, it's music to cut your wrists to" and then he turned and without another word, walked away

I later found out that man is a judge in my town. Over the years I've become good friends with him. The judge may be a lot of things, but he sure isn't a liar

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2020 3:43 AM

Best r1 ever.

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2021 3:09 PM

I have a friend who’s a folksinger.

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2021 3:28 PM

R3 I pity you.

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2021 3:31 PM

[quote]They think they get some sort of intellectual cache from it

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2021 3:32 PM

Tim Buckley's music is enough to erase for me all of folk rock's pretension

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2021 3:37 PM

Beautiful. And ... not pretentious, imo:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2021 3:38 PM

Does Joni Mitchell count? I certainly wouldn't want OP to think less of me.

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2021 3:40 PM

“Folk rock” is such a weird term. It applies to very few musicians/bands, but it’s used so broadly.

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2021 3:52 PM

Tay swift

by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2021 4:12 PM

Isn't Peter Paul and Mary folk rock? Or are they just folk?

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2021 4:18 PM

"Folk" is one of those terms that can mean a wide range of things.

Straight on folk music is often more of a vessel for a story, so people who like pop and rock may not like it. It's also often political, as with Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie, Joan Baez, etc.

Most people like folk better when it's part of a hybrid with pop or rock: Joni Mitchell, Tim Buckley, Judee Sill, Fairport Convention, and the like.

R11 I'd say PP&M are somewhat folk rock or folk pop, but they lean a bit more towards the original, very political folk roots with some songs.

Mumford and Sons are just fucking trash - they're about as legitimately "folk" as Riverdance is legitimately "Irish." They are the Restoration Hardware of folk, faux finished to look and sound like the real thing.

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2021 4:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!