Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stevie Nicks sold the copyrights to some of her most popular songs for $100 million

She just keeps winning.

Leslie Buckingshit who?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117January 14, 2021 7:41 PM

Damn how the hell much money does this woman need? I guess at her age the royalties don’t matter long term.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2020 1:46 AM

And she doesn’t have any kids.

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2020 1:47 AM

She’s already very rich. I guess at her age she can care less now. She has no one to pass her fortune onto.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2020 2:00 AM

She has ME, r3!

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2020 2:06 AM

Debbie Harry and Chris Stein just did this with the Blondie songs they wrote.

Apparently it's a trend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2020 2:11 AM

R3 CAN’T care less

by Anonymousreply 6December 7, 2020 2:18 AM

She keeps rolling in the dough.

She probably didn’t want anyone from Fleetwood to have the rights to her music

by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2020 12:56 PM

Bob Dylan just sold his to Universal - everyone is selling out and cashing in

by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2020 1:02 PM

You can't be too thin or too rich.

You can smoke too much though - does she still have that rasp?

by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2020 1:05 PM

[quote]Apparently it's a trend.

They want to cash out before Biden raises taxes.

by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2020 2:25 PM

R10 so happy Biden is doing that to the rich. They’re shitting themselves

by Anonymousreply 11December 7, 2020 3:27 PM

[quote] You can't be too thin or too rich.

I suppose that’s why she’s doubling down on the rich part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 7, 2020 3:41 PM

$100M buys a lot of ass blow

by Anonymousreply 13December 7, 2020 5:02 PM

Olivia Newton-John did the same last month with Prime Wave.

by Anonymousreply 14December 7, 2020 5:13 PM

Did they learn knowing from TSwift’s trials and tribulations, or are they just all In to recording their old albums to make all the purest buy them to have the full collection?

by Anonymousreply 15December 7, 2020 7:25 PM

Lindsey and Christine sold their catalogue long ago. Go Your Own Way keeps popping up in car commercials. R15 Stevie is close to death and probably doesn't give a shit anymore. Taylor is young and wants the ability to control how her songs are used.

by Anonymousreply 16December 7, 2020 8:21 PM

[quote]Bob Dylan just sold his to Universal - everyone is selling out and cashing in

Which makes Taylor Swift look like a psycho for all the messy drama she caused over Scooter Braun buying and then selling her masters. That's how the industry works and most artists are making millions from it.

by Anonymousreply 17December 7, 2020 8:37 PM

R17. Maybe Taylor would like to decide how her music is used? She is very protective of her music and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 18December 7, 2020 8:42 PM

Stevie isn’t near death

by Anonymousreply 19December 7, 2020 8:51 PM

R18, Taylor has always had control over how her music is used. No one can use it for anything unless she personally gives her okay first, regardless of who owns her masters. She's just crazy and vindictive.

by Anonymousreply 20December 7, 2020 8:55 PM

"Go Your Own Way" has been in about three different commercials this year.

by Anonymousreply 21December 7, 2020 9:03 PM

The OP is an idiot. Signing away your copyrights seems like kind of an act of desperation. I mean, WHY give away what you created to a greedy, soulless corporation? For the money? Surely she doesn't need any more money; she's constantly bragging about how rich she is. I think it's probably some form of dementia setting into her little pea brain.

Bob Dylan has struck a deal like this too. He sold his entire catalog of songs, which encompasses more than 600 songs over 60 years, in a "landmark agreement" with Universal Music Publishing Group. If she got $100 million then he must be getting 1000 million. Dylan seems to be getting rather teched in his old age too.

by Anonymousreply 22December 7, 2020 9:04 PM

by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2020 9:06 PM

Has Madonna done this, too?

by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2020 9:06 PM

R22 Dylan got $300 million, but Dylan's likeness is not worth as much as Stevie's. I do wonder how much of the $100 million is the rights to use her witchy image for Halloween costumes and whatnot. Her solo catalogue has a bunch of other writers and she only got 3-4 songs on the big selling Fleetwood Mac albums.

by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2020 9:18 PM

R21 'Everywhere' was featured in a very popular UK commercial that became something of a meme.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2020 9:19 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2020 9:24 PM

R27, are you schizophrenic? Take your meds.

by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2020 9:26 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2020 9:29 PM

Dylan got $300 million. Bigger catalog than Stevie's, but not as commercial. She sold an 80% share in hers for the $100 million.

As for why they are selling out now, it makes sense given their ages. They get a big payoff upffont to spend/live on for the rest of their lives. And managing one's music catalog is neither cheap nor easy. Shift the burden to a firm and just leave your heirs what cash remains after your death.

If Frank Zappa had done this, there wouldn't have been anything for his kids to fight about. They'd have just inherited cash, and would not have had to deal with rights management and permissions.

Everyone in Fleetwood Mac is notoriously profligate, which is why they kept touring. Assuming Nicks lives another 10-15 years, there might not be much of that money left. But that's the bonus of being single and childfree - no nagging sense that you have to provide for your heirs.

by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2020 9:30 PM

I wonder if this huge payday for Stevie means no more touring for Stevie with Fleetwood Mac and a big FU to Mick Fleetwood. Mick has no writing credits so he need always to tour. Mick must be strapped for cash.

by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2020 9:34 PM

right now, you make money off touring and not royalties. She is making bank. It hard (and expensive) to manage royalties.

by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2020 9:44 PM

It seems like nobody, except TSwift, learned from the Paul McCartney/Michael Jackson debacle. Michael asked Paul for advice and he said buying up music catalogs was a good investment and then Michael went out and purchased those of the Beatles and Paul was pissed.

by Anonymousreply 33December 7, 2020 10:00 PM

R33 Holding onto your catalogue makes less sense as you get older. Look what happened with Frank Zappa's kids. They're all fighting over rights to his songs. If Zappa had sold the rights before he died and left his kids with cash instead, they wouldn't be at each other's throats. Taylor has many years ahead of her so of course she should want to hold onto her catalogue. Stevie and Dylan have 10 years left until they start shitting their pants. It makes sense to get their affairs in older while they are still sound of mind.

by Anonymousreply 34December 7, 2020 10:09 PM

Stevie is a bit of a attention queen. She always said on interview, "I love Lindsey blah blah blah", when Lindsey has no intention of talking to him.

Love her on Fleetwood Mac, her nose was ruined by coccaine already when she began solo career. Now she sounded like she had a cold.

by Anonymousreply 35December 7, 2020 10:09 PM

R2 R3 She has a niece and a great nephew. She also has a lot of "god babies" she could leave the money to. Stevie always said that her words/songs were like her children, I guess she just sold 80% of her children.

by Anonymousreply 36December 7, 2020 10:12 PM

I’m sure most of you wouldn’t care about owning the rights to your songs in your 70s also.

by Anonymousreply 37December 7, 2020 10:21 PM

How the hell many sock accounts does a have? I've blocked him several times, yet I saw this thread and all his comments on it. Some on this board get bitchy when we complain about a, but there's so many of his accounts that we're justified in complaining.

Note to a: Thanks for at least not posting a thread about TikTok/IG/Twitter whores for once. And block me...please, I beg you!

by Anonymousreply 38December 7, 2020 10:21 PM

OP is a lesbian, hence the "Leslie Buckinshit" insult.

by Anonymousreply 39December 7, 2020 10:23 PM

Somehow, I imagine Stevie’s request is going to be having her coffin filled to overflowing with coke for when she’s buried.

by Anonymousreply 40December 7, 2020 10:26 PM

R2 She has one neice from her ailing younger brother. I wouldn’t be surprise if Stevie took her off the will and gave all the control to her long time assistant Karen who is known to pushed everyone who Stevie is close to out of the way.

by Anonymousreply 41December 7, 2020 10:28 PM

by Anonymousreply 42December 7, 2020 10:37 PM

R39 OP is pictured at R27 and r29, it is not a lesbian just a fat and bald mentally ill gay man.

by Anonymousreply 43December 7, 2020 10:57 PM

R43 you are the mental patient here. Get help.

by Anonymousreply 44December 7, 2020 10:59 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 7, 2020 11:08 PM

She probably figures with COVID, she won't be performing for awhile with or without Fleetwood Mac and by them safety precautions will make it so expensive, she never make much. She should take some of that money and donate to music schools if she hasn't already.

by Anonymousreply 46December 7, 2020 11:15 PM

R43 Stevie doesn't want to dumpster dive in your rotten tuna can, you psycho lez.

by Anonymousreply 47December 7, 2020 11:20 PM

" They get a big payoff upffont to spend/live on for the rest of their lives. "

Stevie Nicks and Dylan aren't exactly struggling seniors. They already have enough money to spend/live on for the rest of their lives. I think their selling off of their copyrights indicates mental deterioration or maybe just sheer greed. Either way, it really is kind of gross.

by Anonymousreply 48December 7, 2020 11:41 PM

Or that they know they will make more selling it than otherwise

by Anonymousreply 49December 7, 2020 11:43 PM

I guess no one cares about the family business anymore. Mary Rodgers made money as part of the Rodgers & Hammerstein Association, right? Ira Gershwin's widow carried on his copyrights via theatre shows etc.

by Anonymousreply 50December 7, 2020 11:49 PM

R50 Stevie doesn't have many family members to manage her estate after she dies. Her brother had one daughter and she has no children on her own.

by Anonymousreply 51December 7, 2020 11:52 PM

Bob Dylan made the deal of the century bc his song rights are so coveted. He still has the rights to perform his songs (make money) and remaster them.

Stevie's is a similar deal. It looks like the company has to pay her a royalty, probably more like a licensing fee per year.

by Anonymousreply 52December 8, 2020 12:11 AM

What do you mean remaster? He doesn't own the masters, does he?

by Anonymousreply 53December 8, 2020 12:13 AM

Doris Troy, of "Just One Look" fame, sold part of her hit song to a company in order for them to place it in movies. It brought her money from the song than she had been getting in a long time. I think it was used in a Ryan Gosling movie, or was it Joseph Gordon Levitt?

by Anonymousreply 54December 8, 2020 12:14 AM

Bob Dylan can perform all of his songs, write new songs, or remaster any of his old songs in a new release. This is his.

The sale is old song recording or songs lyrics. If they need it changed and they want bob dylan to do it, they have to pay bob dylan to do it.

It looks like Stevie has a similar deal.

by Anonymousreply 55December 8, 2020 12:23 AM

I hope the money will make them very, very happy. But doubt it. Both Nicks and Dylan strike me as being very unhappy people. Maybe they think the money will help with that. I don't think it will.

by Anonymousreply 56December 8, 2020 12:35 AM

[quote]I think their selling off of their copyrights indicates mental deterioration or maybe just sheer greed. Either way, it really is kind of gross.

Maybe it is. But it's probably a big relief from being freed from a burden too. In Blondie's case they got screwed over so many times in the 70s and 80s, really crushed because their business dealings were so messy that they did not perform for over a dozen years.

by Anonymousreply 57December 8, 2020 12:44 AM

[Quote] The sale is old song recording or songs lyrics. If they need it changed and they want bob dylan to do it, they have to pay bob dylan to do it.

?

Anyone who wants to change song lyrics has to get the lyricist's permission. And the lyricist may allow lyric changes while refusing to give the new lyricist a cut of the publishing. It has been ever thus.

by Anonymousreply 58December 8, 2020 12:46 AM

[Quote] In Blondie's case they got screwed over so many times in the 70s and 80s, really crushed because their business dealings were so messy that they did not perform for over a dozen years.

That's somewhat of a misrepresentation. Chris contributed to write and perform with Debbie. They jettisoned members even after the group had reunited around the millennium.

by Anonymousreply 59December 8, 2020 12:48 AM

*Chris continued.

And Debbie's solo material was on Chrysalis, Blondie's old label.

by Anonymousreply 60December 8, 2020 12:48 AM

But they didn't perform as "Blondie" between 1983 and 1996.

by Anonymousreply 61December 8, 2020 12:50 AM

And "Blondie" is basically Debbie Harry and Chris Stein. Clem beats the skins, admirably. But Debbie and Chris run the show.

by Anonymousreply 62December 8, 2020 12:54 AM

[quote]Stevie is close to death and probably doesn't give a shit anymore. Taylor is young and wants the ability to control how her songs are used.

Except nobody is going to be listening to Taylor music in 30 years time.

by Anonymousreply 63December 8, 2020 12:55 AM

What of the Wallflower child Dylan had?

by Anonymousreply 64December 8, 2020 1:03 AM

He looks ever more like his father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 8, 2020 1:05 AM

"Olivia Newton-John did the same last month with Prime Wave."

Did she ever write a song?

by Anonymousreply 66December 8, 2020 1:09 AM

I don’t selling this off for millions seems counter to being a Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 67December 8, 2020 1:13 AM

Or a witch.

by Anonymousreply 68December 8, 2020 1:13 AM

Olivia owns her masters, I think.

by Anonymousreply 69December 8, 2020 1:14 AM

Both of which she is known to be.

by Anonymousreply 70December 8, 2020 1:14 AM

I've read that Celine Dion, while not listed as a songwriter, has publishing interest in most of the songs she records. If Olivia did something similar, then she would be "a songwriter" even if a silent partner in the publishing.

by Anonymousreply 71December 8, 2020 1:15 AM

Do you know how many cauldrons one can buy for $100 million? Literally all of them.

by Anonymousreply 72December 8, 2020 1:46 AM

$100 million? Must be some drug purchase.

Or is Stevie now on a name-to-name basis with the drug cartels?

by Anonymousreply 73December 8, 2020 1:51 AM

Stevie sold at just the right time, coming of a TikTok meme. So many boomer artists have sold their catalogs this year.

by Anonymousreply 74December 8, 2020 1:59 AM

Wow, the older Jakob gets the more he looks like his father.

by Anonymousreply 75December 8, 2020 2:00 AM

In my last article for Forbes, I discussed why today’s acquisition market for music, movie and television content (intellectual property or IP) has never been hotter. Demand for content is at its peak in our new tech and streaming-driven multi-platform world of media and entertainment. Deep pocketed, well-resourced buyers abound. It’s a seller’s market.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76December 8, 2020 2:09 AM

Does this mean they'll stop replacing music used in the background of TV shows and movies? It bugs me when they used song X on the soundtrack but replace it with some other song (that can be licensed for less money, I imagine) down the line.

by Anonymousreply 77December 8, 2020 2:13 AM

Dylan is 79 years old. And looks ten years older than that.

by Anonymousreply 78December 8, 2020 2:15 AM

For someone who’s not even considered a gay diva, Stevie has gotten a lot of traction on these threads as of late.

by Anonymousreply 79December 8, 2020 2:28 AM

J'adore stevie nicks.

by Anonymousreply 80December 8, 2020 2:40 AM

R79 Have you ever been to a Stevie Nicks concert? The audience is all gays and frumpy white women.

by Anonymousreply 81December 8, 2020 3:08 AM

I don't understand why Bob Dylan did this and her too? What's going on? Wouldn't you want that forever in your family?

by Anonymousreply 82December 8, 2020 4:34 AM

R82 Tom Petty and Frank Zappa's heirs have been fighting like dogs over their catalogs. Perhaps they want to avoid all this family drama and give them lump sums that they can invest any way they like?

by Anonymousreply 83December 8, 2020 5:17 AM

So now we're going to hear her voice selling everything from minute rice ("I Can't Wait") to mouthwash ("Stand Back")?

by Anonymousreply 84December 8, 2020 5:36 AM

[quote]Stevie always said that her words/songs were like her children, I guess she just sold 80% of her children.

It's better than what she did to me!

by Anonymousreply 85December 8, 2020 6:12 AM

R84 in the case of Stand Back, Prince's estate would be getting the $$$ for its use.

by Anonymousreply 86December 8, 2020 6:21 AM

by Anonymousreply 87December 8, 2020 6:25 AM

R87 seriously, take your meds

by Anonymousreply 88December 9, 2020 12:05 AM

Is she dead yet? That just seems like what would happen after such a big event.

by Anonymousreply 89December 9, 2020 12:10 AM

stevie deserves MORE.

by Anonymousreply 90December 9, 2020 3:05 AM

$100 million. Can those songs earn that back? I guess it's hard to quantify -- like if they're used in a commercial, how can you know how much is sold because of the song?

by Anonymousreply 91December 9, 2020 3:08 AM

R90 definitely no. Stevie is one of the most overrated artists of the 20th century. She hasn't done anything interesting in over 40 years,

by Anonymousreply 92December 9, 2020 3:16 AM

R91 It's not just her songs. It's her image that's valuable. Imagine a line of Stevie Nicks Halloween costumes.

by Anonymousreply 93December 9, 2020 3:18 AM

R93 As witches and Gypsys! Trademarked so that anyone dressing as a witch or Gypsy MUST use an official one of hers.

by Anonymousreply 94December 9, 2020 4:31 AM

Stevie Nicks brand coke spoons.

by Anonymousreply 95December 10, 2020 9:21 PM

After taxes, she probably received about $63 million under the Trump tax cuts. That's still not bad if she's worth a few hundred million dollars.

What she got for this deal is just going to add to her fortune. No money worries is the Key.

by Anonymousreply 96December 10, 2020 9:59 PM

How much of that does her drug dealer get?

by Anonymousreply 97December 10, 2020 10:02 PM

R96. Don't forget managers, agents, entertainment lawyers, and all the fine print expenses. That's a few million in expenses right there. A lot of people are getting paydays off these deals.

by Anonymousreply 98December 10, 2020 11:33 PM

"No money worries is the Key."

She didn't have any "money worries" BEFORE she sold her soul (oops, I mean her catalog). Judging from the way she keeps talking about how rich she is she was set for life before she made this deal.

by Anonymousreply 99December 10, 2020 11:53 PM

R99 yeah there's no way she had money worries beforehand like David Crosby. It's all about getting even more money.

by Anonymousreply 100December 11, 2020 3:52 AM

I have a question one of you might be able to answer: Did Waddy Wachtel come up with the 16th note guitar riff from Edge of 17 or did Stevie? According to Wikipedia, Waddy Watchell claimed that the riff was inspired by "Bring On the Night" by The Police. but it's unclear who developed it.

by Anonymousreply 101December 15, 2020 2:02 AM

IF anybody came up with a guitar riff for Edge of Seventeen it must have been Waddy Wachtel or some other accomplished musician. It sure as hell wasn't created by Stevie Nicks.

by Anonymousreply 102December 15, 2020 9:22 AM

R102 That's what I suspected...but Stevie is listed as the only songwriter.

by Anonymousreply 103December 15, 2020 8:38 PM

When you're rich, it will always be easy to get you're hands on more $$$ because you're already in position to get more. That's why the rich always get richer.

It's all about position.

by Anonymousreply 104December 16, 2020 3:18 AM

There is a group of lesbians on Twitter that are deeply obsessed with Buckingham/Nicks. It's truly the cocaine soap opera that beings people together.

by Anonymousreply 105December 16, 2020 3:30 AM

*brings people together

by Anonymousreply 106December 16, 2020 3:30 AM

Thank you, thank you. Silver Springs is a great old song...

by Anonymousreply 107December 16, 2020 3:51 AM

Tango in the Night is such a fucking good album it almost hurts.

by Anonymousreply 108December 16, 2020 4:32 AM

Storms is an amazing song. That's all for Everyone is a fucking jam. I am drunk and listening to Tusk and It. Is. Amazing. Stevie, Lindsey, and Christine are such great songwriters.

by Anonymousreply 109December 16, 2020 4:38 AM

A vid of Kathy Griffin and Bett Midler calling Stevie Nicks and she mentioned Lindsey and her possibly hooking up again on tour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110December 18, 2020 9:26 AM

Almost $80 million is what she got before taxes, as it said in the WSJ article, that the deal valued her writing catalogue at almost $100 million. That is a long-term capital gain, so it won't be taxed at more than 20% right now, not counting CA state taxes. There is nothing wrong with selling now when a recent article said that some groups (Hipgnosis Songs, Primary Wave, etc...i.e. music IP investment companies) are paying up to 30 times what the catalogues are worth. Hipgnosis bought a 75% stake in The Dream's catalogue for $23 million in 2018. Most of the others don't divulge specific numbers. I can't blame her, plus she will still get a check for her remaining 20%, which I guess would be well into the six figures a year. What is wrong with wanting to solidify your financial security? If you bitch about her selling out, then did you pay $200+ for Fleetwood Mac tickets in the last 20 years? I did, and happily too. Who gives a shit?!

by Anonymousreply 111December 18, 2020 10:40 AM

I have never understood why this twirling hippie is so popular. Her music is so dull.

by Anonymousreply 112December 18, 2020 10:47 AM

R112 Her persona is appealing to women and straight guys in the 70s all wanted to fuck her. I agree that a lot of her music is samey, but her output from '75-'79 is very good.

by Anonymousreply 113December 18, 2020 5:53 PM

What is it with corny white bitches and Stevie Nicks? She's basic as hell and no one can tell me otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 114January 14, 2021 5:41 AM

I'm not the hip sort - what is "basic"? She has an unusual raspy voice and has chosen some catchy tunes and worked with superstars. And she's attractive. Or at least was when she was young. What else do you need in a pop rock star?

Who is not "basic"? Billie Eilish? Kylie Minogue? That tall one who loves to boink adolescents? (Taylor something)

Not being testy, I really have no idea.

Just being in a mega-band like Fleetwood Mac, one of the world's biggest-selling bands, doesn't seem very "basic" to me. Seems to me like she's one of the A-listers of rock - and the number of females on that is not too high. A dozen?

by Anonymousreply 115January 14, 2021 10:29 AM

R66 Established artist that don’t write songs usually refused to record songs unless they get part of the publishing. That’s where the moneys at.

Elvis wanted to record Dolly Parton’s “And I will always love you” but he wanted half of the publishing and Dolly told him to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 116January 14, 2021 10:38 AM

"Elvis wanted to record Dolly Parton’s “And I will always love you” but he wanted half of the publishing and Dolly told him to fuck off."

Actually, it was Colonel Tom Parker who wanted Elvis to have the publishing rights, since he made all of Elvis's deals. And I doubt Dolly Parton as ever told anyone "fuck off" in her life. Porter Wagoner treated her badly; she didn't tell him to "fuck off." Instead she wrote a song about him called "I Will Always Love You." She actually really got back at him by doing that, since the song is one of her most successful efforts.

by Anonymousreply 117January 14, 2021 7:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!