Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Derry Girls

Derry Girls is a British sitcom. . It set in Derry, Northern Ireland, in the 1990s.

Anyone watching? It’s funny as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 80May 11, 2023 3:28 PM

I love this show. I think I binged it in two straight days I loved it so much. Funniest show I’ve seen in a while. It’s already been greenlit for the next two seasons (I think). I know they’ve ok’d one season for sure but I thought I read somewhere it got the go ahead for two more seasons.

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2020 4:31 PM

Any cute Derry Lads?

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2020 4:47 PM

It's very cute. It has the feel of a nostalgic coming-of-age from a writer's POV especially in regards to the surrounding political conflict, but self-deprecating enough to not be so saccharine. It's like Wonder Years but the violence and war looming in the background closer to home; and it's funny.

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2020 4:48 PM

It’s Meeeeee! I’m the wee lesbian!

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2020 4:49 PM

The English lad and priest are v cute

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2020 10:12 PM

The nun called him the "wee English lad"

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2020 10:46 PM

Some of the actors are on a special Great British Bake Off holiday episode that just premiered on Netflix (it was on in the UK last year)

They seem delightful and a lot of fun

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2020 11:03 PM

Love this show!! One of the funniest shows I’ve seen in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2020 11:06 PM

Probably my favorite show discovery of 2020. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 9December 6, 2020 3:44 AM

It does capture the bitter Irish humor

by Anonymousreply 10December 6, 2020 3:50 AM

" You will go far in life, Jenny, but you will not be well liked "

by Anonymousreply 11December 6, 2020 3:59 AM

Sister Michael, the absolute queen of the eye roll.

by Anonymousreply 12December 6, 2020 4:01 AM

It is a biting humor - I was curious how other non-Irish would respond. Its often judged for being too harsh in its humor - but I find it sharp and witty.

by Anonymousreply 13December 6, 2020 4:02 AM

I'm Irish and it rings true. I laugh at it even when there are no obvious jokes.

by Anonymousreply 14December 6, 2020 4:03 AM

I will check it out-- but it better not be another unfunny bust like Schitt's Creek!

by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2020 4:04 AM

It's about kids and adults. Nothing like Shitty Creek.

by Anonymousreply 16December 6, 2020 4:09 AM

I hated Schitt’s Creek r15. I do not get the love at all. But Derry Girls is amazing. It is one of the best things I’ve seen in the last few years. But put the subtitles on!

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2020 4:51 AM

Agree about Shitty Creek - and do LOVE Derry Girls.

by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2020 7:13 PM

I am surprised it caught on so quickly.

Dylan Llewellyn sure is pretty.

by Anonymousreply 19January 3, 2021 7:11 AM

Another fan here. Tried to make it last but I couldn’t, just had to keep watching. And the cast’s appearance on the Bake Off Show was charming. Can’t wait for the next season.

Btw, if you also loved the Derry Girls, you might really like the film The Young Offenders.

by Anonymousreply 20January 3, 2021 7:21 AM

Dear Lange troll -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 3, 2021 7:55 AM

Derry Girls is fantastic. An Irish friend recommended it to me as she said it perfectly encapsulates being a teenager in Ireland in the 90s. I watched it all at once, am also a 90s teen and found it really relatable, so did my Italian friends who really understood the Catholic angle too. My family laughed out loud so many times; we are atheist but all grew up Catholic and it has so many "ah-ha!" moments. It's a great show because it manages to be sweet without being saccharine, and deal with teen issues and political issues without being grim.

I loved the scene where Ma Mary, Aunt Sarah and Erin all quiz the grandfather on his new "fancy woman".

- We met at the Stations of the Cross! - Which Station? - Jesus falls for the second time. - I could do without the details, da'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 3, 2021 8:19 AM

[quote] The cast members have revealed that it is vital to the show’s integrity that they shoot in Ireland, which seems difficult anytime before the latter half of 2021. So, we can expect ‘Derry Girls’ season 3 to release sometime in 2022. Fans expressed their disappointment when cast member Tommy Tiernan (who plays Gerry) suggested that season 3 might be the last of the series. Writer Lisa Mc Gee responded to that on Twitter, stating that she is “plotting” for the future of the series, which may include a spin-off movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 3, 2021 8:27 AM

I loved that British Bake Off episode. I thought Paul was smitten with Michelle. They both have those eyes. Fuck me eyes. One thing Derry Girls does is show you how easy some Troubles could come to America. I guess the Trumpers would be the Catholics in this situation

by Anonymousreply 24January 3, 2021 12:21 PM

R24 I just watched them baking. They were very funny.

by Anonymousreply 25January 3, 2021 12:24 PM

Grandpa Joe needs to hatefuck Gerry.

by Anonymousreply 26January 3, 2021 12:33 PM

[quote] I thought Paul was smitten with Michelle.

Don't really remember. Did she have a vagina?

Then yeah, probably.

by Anonymousreply 27January 3, 2021 12:34 PM

I think it makes Catholics in Northern Ireland seem like stupid slobs.

by Anonymousreply 28January 3, 2021 1:09 PM

Love the "Scarlet - Independent Love Song" moment.

by Anonymousreply 29January 3, 2021 1:24 PM

I am a Derry girl! I am a Derry girl!

by Anonymousreply 30January 3, 2021 1:52 PM

Where can I watch this in the US?

by Anonymousreply 31January 3, 2021 2:10 PM

Netflix

by Anonymousreply 32January 3, 2021 2:30 PM

The use of scones in an episode has never been funnier.

I work with someone in Ireland who would have been coming of age around that time, and said the series nailed it.

As much as part of me would love more episodes, there is part of me that thinks having season 2 be the end would be the right place to end it with them graduating and the political changes that took place during that time.

by Anonymousreply 33January 3, 2021 2:51 PM

There will be a third season, but it was put on hold due to the pandemic. Beyond that, who knows. The dad actor hinted that the third season will be the last one and the show's creator hinted at a movie beyond that.

by Anonymousreply 34January 3, 2021 3:05 PM

I love this show and I love Schitt's Creek. You can like them both, although I do think Derry Girls is funnier and wittier. Sister Michael is everything, and after seeing her on the holiday GBBO, I would love to know her in person. The cast who were on GBBO left me thinking filming this series must be an actor's dream. They all seemed just as funny as their characters.

Sister Michael has so many deadpan lines that are LOL funny. On the episode where the girls are trying to earn money to take the school trip to Paris and Sister Michael says sadly she can't go on the trip that year because she despises the French. I howled with laughter! Below is a compilation of some of her best lines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 3, 2021 3:12 PM

One of the stars is also Penelope Featherington on "Bridgerton."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 3, 2021 3:17 PM

She’s one of the funniest cast membership I love her. I also worship Sister Michael and her barely contained annoyance at everything.

by Anonymousreply 37January 3, 2021 4:44 PM

Sister Michael is me

by Anonymousreply 38January 3, 2021 5:34 PM

You terrify me r38.

by Anonymousreply 39January 3, 2021 5:52 PM

I’ve often attributed my cynicism to being Irish. I think gay and Irish has made me into Sister Michael. Oscar Wilde is my hero.

by Anonymousreply 40January 3, 2021 6:42 PM

The endings of each series are so sweet, and I admit I actually teared up at the end of the first series, seeing the kids dancing on stage while their parents watch news of the latest bombing on television.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 3, 2021 10:54 PM

It's craic. I await the next series.

by Anonymousreply 42January 3, 2021 10:58 PM

I can confirm Sister Michael is a torn faced cunt in real life.

The wee blonde one is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 43January 3, 2021 11:00 PM

I really like the show but am not a fan of Sister Michael. I don’t think she’s funny and I didn’t like her on Bake Off.

I have a crush on James.

by Anonymousreply 44January 3, 2021 11:11 PM

Michelle is my spirit animal.

by Anonymousreply 45January 3, 2021 11:23 PM

Michelle reminds me so much of a couple of girls I went to school with.

by Anonymousreply 46January 3, 2021 11:24 PM

Watched a few episodes this morning. Really liked it.

by Anonymousreply 47January 3, 2021 11:26 PM

"Awk Fionnoula, what about ye? I thought I could smell vinegar."

by Anonymousreply 48January 3, 2021 11:28 PM

DEIDRE: The English thing? Listen, Mary, I understand, I mean, he's my nephew and even I find it hard to get past. If I'm totally honest there's times when I look at him and I feel, well, it's pure hatred. I'll not dress it up.

MARY: No, no, it's not the English thing.

DEIDRE: I hope to God it's not the gay thing you're offended by. Because I'd be disappointed in ye Mary, I'll not lie.

MARY: Of course not! I mean, if anything, the gay thing sort of cancels out the English thing.

by Anonymousreply 49January 4, 2021 1:49 AM

Agree R49 - some of the best lines ever written. Wasn’t sure if it was an Irish only joke or not. It really is a perfect example of the shows humor.

by Anonymousreply 50January 4, 2021 2:15 AM

[quote] I can confirm Sister Michael is a torn faced cunt in real life.

Spill!

by Anonymousreply 51January 4, 2021 3:58 AM

"Her instructor says she's a natural, says she's got what it takes to go all the way."

"All the way in step aerobics?"

What's great about Derry Girls is each season is only 6 episodes, so it's really quality over quantity. If this were an American show, you just know the network would demand 12 or 20 episodes or whatever and the material would be much, much thinner.

And yes, Dylan Llewllyn is adorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 4, 2021 6:29 AM

[quote] Agree [R49] - some of the best lines ever written. Wasn’t sure if it was an Irish only joke or not.

The Irish love the Gays. LOVE THEM!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 4, 2021 9:59 AM

Uncle Colm is my hero.

by Anonymousreply 54January 4, 2021 10:11 AM

I love the bit where Sister Michael is trapped talking to him ("Am I in Hell?") and realises that his long story is actually quite funny.

by Anonymousreply 55January 4, 2021 10:14 AM

r55 I presumed that her reaction was based on being high from a pot scone which made the rounds at the reception.

by Anonymousreply 56January 4, 2021 10:30 AM

Sister Michael did not partake in the pot scones.

by Anonymousreply 57January 4, 2021 4:57 PM

A real gem!

I loved that James was just as in love with the priest as the other girls.

Dylan Llewellyn's nudes leaked last year and apparently the boy is into wearing panties and has a pretty big dick. Good for him!

The mural dedicated to the show, painted in Derry, Northern Ireland, is cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 4, 2021 5:04 PM

The third season of DG hasn’t even begun filming so it’s going to be a long wait.

Creator/writer Lisa McKee had an earlier series called “London Irish”, starring the actor who plays hunky Father Peter. Only 1 season but I think Tubi is currently streaming it. Hopefully it’s decent.

That same actor (Peter Campion) played a gay character on another Netflix show from Ireland called “Can’t Cope, Won’t Cope”. It took a few episodes for me to get into it but once I did I was hooked. The lead actress is superb.

by Anonymousreply 59January 6, 2021 10:17 PM

Even with the closed-captioning turned on, I need a glossary to understand some of the references.

by Anonymousreply 60January 6, 2021 10:42 PM

Uncle Colm: There was a knock at the door, this must have been, ach, we're talking eight, half eight, for I was halfway through me dinner. And up I got to open it, and there they both were, large as life. And the taller fella, though, to be fair, there was no more than an inch in it --

Mary Quinn: Jesus wept.

Uncle Colm: -- the slightly taller fella, he says to me, says he, "Do you know who we are?"

Granda Joe: How is a body supposed to enjoy his dinner?

Uncle Colm: And I says to him, says I, "Well, I can't be sure now. But maybe if you took off the balaclavas?" And then he says to me, the slightly taller fella does, he says, "Step aside, we are armed." And that is when the smaller fella, although, as I say, we are talking an inch --

Erin: Mammy, make it stop.

Uncle Colm: -- an inch and a half at most.

Gerry Quinn: I need a drink.

Uncle Colm: He has the bright idea of tying me to the radiator, you see. And I remember saying to myself, says I, "Colm, it's a good job you have the economy seven on the timer, or you'd be roasted here."

Aunt Sarah: Did you go for the economy seven in the end, Colm? I thought you said the hot water settings were a minefield?

Gerry Quinn: For the love of God, Sarah, no diversions.

Mary Quinn: Aye, come on, let's pick it up. They tied you to the heater.

Uncle Colm: They did indeed. And there I am, shackled to the thermostatic valve with me new shoelaces, when one of them, the smaller fella, or, hang on, maybe it was the --

Gerry Quinn: It doesn't matter, Colm.

Uncle Colm: Well, it was one of the two. He is looking for the keys to the van. All ranting and raving and getting himself all worked up, threatening to set fire to my good chaise lounge and all sorts. By Jesus, they were absolutely desperate to borrow the van.

Mary Quinn: Colm, they didn't borrow your van. They stole your van, used it to move arms across the border, and then they blew it up.

Uncle Colm: Aye. Nightmare altogether.

by Anonymousreply 61January 7, 2021 12:11 AM

"Did you kill that wee nun, girls?"

"Course we didn't!"

"Then why were you pissing on her dead body and making sandwiches?"

by Anonymousreply 62January 8, 2021 7:44 AM

For R60

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 8, 2021 7:47 AM

R59 I watched both London Irish and Can’t Cope Won’t Cope. He was so attractive in London Irish, gorgeous really. It was funny but way more biting and adult than Derry Girls which has a sweet innocence to it.

Somehow he became really unattractive by the time Can’t Cope came around which is such a shame as he was playing a gay character

by Anonymousreply 64January 22, 2021 5:41 AM

Agreed, r64...he was really quite stunning in “London Irish”. In “Can’t Cope, Won’t Cope” he had gained a little weight (though I would still do him!)

Sadly, the actress who played the 2nd lead in CCWC died of cancer a couple of years ago. She was in her early thirties. “London Irish” was obviously funnier but CCWC is the one I would probably watch again...even though it was a bit depressing at times.

by Anonymousreply 65January 22, 2021 11:00 AM

R59 that’s really tragic I had no idea. I really enjoyed it too, especially Aishling, she was a mess of a character played so well by the actress. It was hilarious that they tried to have Irish actors play Canadian though, their accents always slipped

by Anonymousreply 66January 22, 2021 1:54 PM

I just binge watched the two season of DERRY GIRLS and I was laughing my ass off. Fucking delightful. Caustic Irish humor. The nun principal of the Catholic high school is my favorite.

Dylan Llewelyn has nice fat hog.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 1, 2021 8:33 PM

It's fucking hilarious.

Sister Michael is perfection.

by Anonymousreply 68May 1, 2021 8:59 PM

How did two groups of white people come to hate each other so much?

by Anonymousreply 69May 1, 2021 9:10 PM

My aunt introduced me to it. It’s just hilarious, totally have to rebinge it. The English lad is really cute, despite how much fun they make of him on the show.

by Anonymousreply 70May 1, 2021 9:18 PM

[quote]How did two groups of white people come to hate each other so much?

300 years of invasions, famine and repression will do that.

by Anonymousreply 71May 1, 2021 9:40 PM

I love how both seasons so far have little dance crazes incorporated. The "Saturday Night" dance (Whigfield) in season 1, and the "Rock the Boat" wedding dance in season 2. Those little touches make the show so relatable to my teen years, though those weren't the dances we did.

by Anonymousreply 72May 1, 2021 9:42 PM

"Saturday Night".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 1, 2021 9:43 PM

The last ever episode of this aired last night in the UK and it was hilarious but also really poignant in the portrayal of the Good Friday Agreement and what it meant at the time. Puts the current events in context for ignorant people like me.

by Anonymousreply 74May 19, 2022 2:00 PM

I think Season 3 is the funniest of the entire show. And I’m loving the guest stars they have on the show.

I loved the episode of the mother going back in time to her prom.

What happened to the Sister that she’s walking on crutches? She’s driving a great car.

by Anonymousreply 75June 3, 2022 8:46 PM

Just finished season 2. Show is so funny but also quite moving. Love how they incorporate music. And love their relationship with cousin James.

Can't wait for season 3 to come to Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 76September 24, 2022 10:46 PM

Love this show, sweet and funny, and as a child of the 90s it's wonderful nostalgia too. Can't wait for season 3.

by Anonymousreply 77September 24, 2022 11:25 PM

Can't wait either, sad to see it's going to be the last but at least it was planned this way and won't loose in quality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 25, 2022 12:08 AM

I have had this thread on watch since it started. Today it paid off, I needed to hear this was coming back soon.

My favorite line/delivery of the show (if I had to choose one): "It's me! I'm the wee lesbian!!"

by Anonymousreply 79September 25, 2022 10:27 PM

I just binged this and it was such a bright moment of relief during the horrendous weeks of caring for a parent with failing health and medical emergencies every other day. I had avoided it for years as I thought it was about those London girls sent to farms during the war to grow crops and milk cows, or it was a spin off from that midwifery show.

by Anonymousreply 80May 11, 2023 3:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!