Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

ANOTHER Job I Interviewed for Reposted the Job!

Within the last 30 days, I've interviewed for THREE different jobs at different companies, with multiple interviews for each. Each interview went up the chain of command, from HR person to hiring manager to executive level or panel interview. One I had to make a presentation and they were clearly impressed. I never had ANY indication that I didn't impress them or that I made any mistakes.

But today for the THIRD time in that 30 days, I received an new job alert on my phone from LinkedIn, and it was for the position I finished interviewing with on Tuesday (total of 4 interviews with that one).

I'm about to give up and work as a shop bottom at Home Depot or Home Goods. I don't know what these people want anymore.

Fuck my life.

by Anonymousreply 86July 19, 2021 4:52 PM

Loser.

They're just not into you, op.

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2020 12:41 AM

I don't have any pithy or snarky to say. I don't have any insight to why they do this. I just want to congratulate you on being courageous and sticking to it. Eventually someone will notice and give a job.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2020 12:42 AM

Same thing with me. Also this week, I applied for two jobs and an hour letter got a rejection email. They could at least have the courtesy to wait 24 hours before hitting the reject button.

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2020 12:46 AM

Have you considered OnlyFans or Chaturbate?

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2020 12:54 AM

I'm so sorry OP and R3. I wish I could help.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2020 12:55 AM

I'm sorry OP - but these days interviewing for a job, is like audition for an acting role - it is so arbitrary

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2020 12:56 AM

Maybe correcting them on your acceptable pronouns during the interview wasn’t such a good idea after all?

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2020 12:57 AM

If HR people hired people too efficiently, then they would not have enough to do to justify their salaries. And the superiors always think they can hold out for someone better.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2020 1:15 AM

They should just pick names out of a hat. Would save everyone a whole lot of grief and nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2020 1:17 AM

Depending on the kind of job there is probably more competition these days. There are a lot of people out of work, and they are not all restaurant workers. Some companies have taken this as an opportunity to downsize and consolidate offices, so it's an employer's market I think so they can afford maybe to drag their feet and have as many rounds of interviews as they want. Especially if filling the position isn't urgent, like they're currently making do with the staff they have there's no rush on their part.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2020 1:19 AM

Hang in there, OP. I went through the same thing in the spring. I interviewed for a month for a business development job. Multiple rounds of interviews, two presentations, met with the VP of sales, thought I got the job.

Two days later, I got a call saying I was rejected. The job was reposted, but never filled. Apparently I was their guy (they had eliminated 70+ other applications), but even after all of that, the VP didn’t like me enough.

It’s not you, it’s them. Keep applying. Stay positive and project confidence. Don’t let any future interviewers know you are struggling to land a position. Play it off like you are in control. Trust me, eventually you will find something.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2020 1:21 AM

At least you're getting interviews. I'm not even getting "Thank you for submitting..." Nothing. And I'm talking at least a couple of dozen for which I would be more than qualified.

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2020 2:43 AM

You must look and act like a spaz.

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2020 2:44 AM

How old are you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2020 2:46 AM

You need to be 30 years old, extroverted, charming and attractive. As someone said above, it’s basically an acting audition. Stupid hiring staff don’t seem to understand that those who can act their way through an interview are usually those you would least want working for you.

Being a sought after minority doesn’t hurt.

And for some reason being doesn’t count as a minority in their eyes.

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2020 2:50 AM

My niece found a job this year after almost a year of looking. Even better, it's something she likes a lot, so don't give up hope.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2020 2:51 AM

OP, I hear you. And what blows me away is that they make people go through all hoops and hurdles and a long ass process and they STILL end up choosing shitty people (or I should say give the job to a friend, family member, someone who kisses their ass, etc).

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2020 3:07 AM

Could it have been a problem with your background check, OP?

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2020 3:42 AM

In your next interview, say the following. It works every time!

Give me a job and you instantly get me involved

If you give me a job, then the rest of the crap will get solved

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2020 3:45 AM

All you need is one yes. Being on the job market can be soul crushing but if you give up you will never find something, keep at it and eventually you will.

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2020 3:46 AM

[Quote]Also this week, I applied for two jobs and an hour letter got a rejection email.

R3 Would I be correct to conclude that the job you were rejected for was a 'book editor'?

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2020 3:50 AM

You’re lucky, OP. I get rejected at least 2 or 3x’s a week. Definitely age discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2020 3:57 AM

You should really leave off your resume your last job as White House staff boy.

by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2020 3:58 AM

Getting a job interview nowadays is a big deal. So be thankful for that at least.

by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2020 3:59 AM

Though I'm thankful to already be employed, I plan to start job hunting after the new year. The problem for me is that I'd like to change fields, which is never easy to do when your resume is only populated with one certain type of job for the last near 15 years. There's also the issue that I'm not even sure what else it is I want to do; I just know I'm sick of the type of work I've been doing and would like a change.

by Anonymousreply 25December 4, 2020 4:43 AM

If you are in a non-tech or non STEM job, most of those companies are just simply not hiring people over 35. Period.

They let a lot of the men go in 2008 and hired women at 50-60 percent of the costs.

I have been freelance for 6 years now. I don't think I'll ever have a traditional job again in my lifetime, and I'm just pulling up to 50. Since my original layoff during the 08 downtown I had a permanent job for about 2 years (and then was laid off) and have either been doing temp work, retraining/school or freelance since.

by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2020 2:44 PM

It took me years to find something I like. I had to work in sales while waiting. Don’t give up.

by Anonymousreply 27December 4, 2020 2:58 PM

R26, why is it that tech/STEM jobs are not discriminating because of age? I would think the young whippersnappers would have that industry locked up.

by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2020 3:08 PM

R28 I apologize, I didn't quite explain what I was saying or lay out my thoughts on that.

I meant most jobs are ONLY hiring women, and young women at that. Tech/STEM roles will indeed hire men, but under 35 (40 if you're really a leader).

But men over 35 or so are the most challenged in the market place right now.

by Anonymousreply 29December 4, 2020 3:42 PM

It’s rough. Often recruiters insist on all your documents and data ASAP “by end of day tomorrow”, yet they are slow as turtles in responding and/or updating you.

Recruiters and headhunters are pretty awful, too. They’re cagey and evasive, and often don’t have experience even close to yours, but still treat you dismissively. That’s miserable.

I have a good job, but as I age, I know it will be harder and harder to keep it and to move on to another. Everything really does feel ageist and arbitrary. I hope you have better luck, and soon.

by Anonymousreply 30December 4, 2020 5:15 PM

Sorry, OP. I applied for a job that I'm pretty sure I was qualified for. I even got references from two people who already work at that company. No phone call, no response, nothing. I e-mailed and hand-delivered my resume, etc. I know the boss at the company. I've talked her through a time when she thought she was going to lose her job. Always have been nice to her. However, I have heard from others that she is an unstable bitch. So, I'll just leave it at that. But I'm mad just thinking about it, lol.

by Anonymousreply 31December 4, 2020 5:20 PM

I finally started applying for jobs no one wanted. The hours are 2nd shift, Thursday - Monday. I've been there two years now and have received two raises. And it's 'essential' so I've been working since March, while others are wandering the streets looking desperate and hungry.

by Anonymousreply 32December 4, 2020 5:23 PM

R32 good for you! Some of us don’t have the luxury of looking for years and need to work ASAP to pay the bills. No shame in that. Keep looking though, you never know.

by Anonymousreply 33December 4, 2020 5:26 PM

Good luck, OP, and hang in there. As someone now in the 50+ club, I have the dreaded "gap in employment" from taking several years away to care for family members through end of life. I can't even get a job at Home Depot.

by Anonymousreply 34December 4, 2020 5:42 PM

R32, I've worked and applied for jobs that were supposed to be "beneath" me. In the end, I guess I'm proud of myself for doing what I needed to do to survive.

by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2020 5:48 PM

[quote]Good luck, OP, and hang in there. As someone now in the 50+ club, I have the dreaded "gap in employment" from taking several years away to care for family members through end of life. I can't even get a job at Home Depot.

Isn’t it amazing how a gap in employment is automatically considered a negative regardless of experience and skills? It’s ridiculous. And if their reasoning is that it means you’re rusty then that’s stupid because every new job always insists on training you their way anyway no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2020 5:53 PM

I’m really sorry this keeps happening to you. Used to happen to me all the time. I’d have this great interview, I’d get a reject letter then a week later I’d get another letter asking me to come in to interview. I found out that some companies bring people in to interview for non existent jobs. Sometimes it’s for practice but I think there are other reasons too. Progressive Insurance used to do this, maybe they still do. The old Hyatt Legal Clinics did this too. Many other companies.

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2020 6:02 PM

Don’t give up!

by Anonymousreply 38December 4, 2020 6:03 PM

"They should just pick names out of a hat."

I got Stetson. Which one is that?

by Anonymousreply 39December 4, 2020 6:04 PM

This thread makes me glad that I’m self employed. Being 50+ and self employed for more than 10 years, I know I would be unemployable in the private sector. My not chained would be a government job.

by Anonymousreply 40December 5, 2020 1:25 PM

OP here. I have a second interview on Tuesday with a job I think I have a VERY good chance at getting (of course I thought the same about the last one too). And it pays substantially more.

I would LOVE nothing more than to get it, THEN get the offer from the company in my original post. DLers, please help me come up with an impressively cunty declination response, even if I only get to use it in fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 41December 5, 2020 1:56 PM

Don't give up OP. I've been through similar situations. Get a job elsewhere for now but keep interviewing until you get the job you want.

by Anonymousreply 42December 5, 2020 2:30 PM

They may still call, OP. Would it be uncool, if you called them to say you are still interested and if they tell you no, then ask them for feedback?

Also, THings change. Lately with the shaky economy, a company may plot out their strategy and decide what they need and the word goes out to HR, but then they can't hire or they decide to go in another direction? Then there's always the fact that they always planned on promoting from within, and only went through the motions . Look R11 said it best. Hang in there. There are a lot of variables affecting their decisions, it's not you.

by Anonymousreply 43December 5, 2020 3:25 PM

'OP here. I have a second interview on Tuesday with a job I think I have a VERY good chance at getting'

Jettison your glasses for contacts and get a sharp hair cut. Shave fully. Do not risk them rejecting you for looking like a spaz again.

by Anonymousreply 44December 6, 2020 12:56 AM

That's great OP. Wishing you good luck.

by Anonymousreply 45December 6, 2020 1:11 AM

[quote]R26 But men over 35 or so are the most challenged in the market place right now.

That must be devastating, after being in charge for centuries.

by Anonymousreply 46December 6, 2020 1:17 AM

"My not chained would be a government job."

Okay.

by Anonymousreply 47December 6, 2020 3:23 AM

Hang in there OP!

After getting laid off due to covid, I was interviewing for three months and nothing but rejection letters and crickets. then one day I interviewed for this position and they wanted me to start right away like the next day period

by Anonymousreply 48December 6, 2020 3:26 AM

Sometimes jobs announcements are automatically reposted, so there's still hope. And no cunt-y remarks to anyone until you have a signed job offer!

by Anonymousreply 49December 6, 2020 3:31 AM

The thing I hate the most is there is no "right" way to do a resume. You could ask 6 hiring managers to show you a perfect resume, and they'd all be different.

And I firmly believe, if they've made contact, they owe you a "we've filled the position". You only need one message, and you can copy and paste, or hell, BCC the different applicants if you're THAT fucking lazy.

by Anonymousreply 50December 6, 2020 3:49 AM

[quote]The thing I hate the most is there is no "right" way to do a resume. You could ask 6 hiring managers to show you a perfect resume, and they'd all be different.

So true, which is why I haven't changed mine in literally 20 years. It's gotten me job after job after job for all of these years, so I feel there must be something about it employers like, which is why I plan to keep it.

by Anonymousreply 51December 6, 2020 4:01 AM

How many jobs have you had in 20 years?

by Anonymousreply 52December 6, 2020 4:05 AM

Well, finally got the rejection email. That makes two in one week, both involving multiple interviews and "strategy presentations."

I really think I'm being age discriminated.

Fuck my life.

by Anonymousreply 53December 10, 2020 3:46 PM

[quote]I don't know what these people want anymore.

Well obviously not you. And now you know how African-Americans feel.

by Anonymousreply 54December 10, 2020 3:51 PM

R53 I've been through that numerous interview followed by being passed over numerous times so I appreciate your situation. Just keep trying, eventually you will land one.

by Anonymousreply 55December 10, 2020 8:02 PM

[quote]I really think I'm being age discriminated.

Why hire you when they can get someone younger, cheaper and prettier to look at. That's the cold hard facts of life.

by Anonymousreply 56December 10, 2020 9:03 PM

Sorry to hear that OP/R53. I was very hopeful for you when you posted you had an interview. Keep trying. I am in the same boat and know how soul destroying this process is. Those headhunters and corporate recruitment agencies are the worst. Worse than Hitler.

To the people above - if you have an employment gap in your resume then "international travel" could be the thing to fill it in with. Just be sure to select a country you have visited and know something about (research if necessary). i.e. I resided in Australia for 2 years because I wanted to experience something different. I worked in various cafes and improved my fitness, surfing, studied art, bushwalking, self-time and traveled the country etc. Obviously if you've never visited Australia then that won't work! Be smart about it and this will work for you. You'll get minimal questioning about the 2 year gap. Did you enjoy it? where did you live/visit?

by Anonymousreply 57December 11, 2020 2:01 AM

Companies post job openings and even interview but don't have the budget to hire.

You're on their wish list 🙄

by Anonymousreply 58December 11, 2020 3:37 AM

I'm sorry to hear that, OP/R53 but please please please don't give up. Something good will happen for you soon.

by Anonymousreply 59December 11, 2020 3:55 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 60June 2, 2021 3:30 PM

Me too OP. This keeps happening to me also.

by Anonymousreply 61June 2, 2021 3:34 PM

Yup, I've have two interviews since last March. Didn't hear back from either. Age discrimination is real.

by Anonymousreply 62June 2, 2021 4:15 PM

What a way to live, R26.

by Anonymousreply 63June 3, 2021 2:23 AM

I've applied to at least ten different jobs in the past month and have heard back from only one of them (and they have yet to give me an interview). At this point, any sympathy for the companies complaining is lost.

by Anonymousreply 64June 3, 2021 7:53 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 65June 5, 2021 5:20 PM

you are not your day job, remember this. You are so much more.

Good luck on finding an income job.

by Anonymousreply 66June 5, 2021 5:23 PM

Fuck HR, OP! Anyplace with an elaborate HR system is always going to be annoying. It also caps your earnings. Have you thought of working for a small company, something boutique, maybe working with a smaller organization. When there are less cooks in the kitchen it's easier to get jobs and raises. One trick I have learned is always email the CEO directly. CEO's almost always open their email and if you are clever enough, they might respond back.

by Anonymousreply 67June 5, 2021 5:59 PM

Keep applying for it. You'll wear them down eventually!

by Anonymousreply 68June 5, 2021 6:00 PM

[quote] Have you considered OnlyFans or Chaturbate?

They were the ones who rejected me!

by Anonymousreply 69June 5, 2021 6:05 PM

Best of luck, OP. A job search is a withering proposition in a good or bad market.

The company where I work has been on a continual hiring fuck up for 2+ years. The company is being shipped to buyers: sudden hiring freeze; quick say no to those people you said yes to last week. The company has secured s large and unexpected venture capital investment. Hire the people you hired then fired two months ago. Oh, they took other positions? New policy disallowing work from home: readvertise newly hired positions who don't want to move across country at their own expense. Post-Covid, what do you know, it's all about working from home now, you can try to rehire the brilliant applicant you twice already had to do an about face on. But wait, there's assigned sale agreement for the company: stop all hires. Two weeks later, full speed ahead with new hires (not knowing if the new company with carve unwanted pieces off for shutting down or sale. And at each step, bosses I didn't know I had want to sit in on the interview, then someone else I didn't know about in HR wants to be "brought in.". It's a fucking disaster to try to replace a few positions we've been without for 2+ years, and only if the timing is perfect like a roulette wheel have we been able to hire even 2 people in 4 or 5 years.

So many hands are at play in any one hire that there's always someone who will have some question that ducks everything - and then another hiring freeze.

It's not always you. And those relisted positions sometimes get relisted without the person who tried to hire you knowing.

by Anonymousreply 70June 5, 2021 6:23 PM

Ugh

by Anonymousreply 71June 9, 2021 3:22 PM

You never know if they're "holding" the job for someone internal or a transfer or a head-hunted candidate and thus have to post the position publicly and do the interview process with others as to appear a fair employer. I've found this is the case a couple of times I saw a job that I was more than qualified for, that they liked me for and didn't pick me, reposted.

Don't give up OP... you will find something.

by Anonymousreply 72June 9, 2021 3:45 PM

OP have you tried wearing deodorant?

by Anonymousreply 73June 9, 2021 3:48 PM

I'm no longer nervous in job interviews because I know I probably won't get it. It's just a lark, I'm amused. It was probably filled before it was posted. Or they will hire someone who is over-qualified, that they are SO dazzled by and flattered that they would even consider working with them.

This person will use them as a temp job, and leave in 8 months.

by Anonymousreply 74June 9, 2021 4:04 PM

I'm also on the job hunt, and it's soul crushing. It's crazy how much preparation material companies want up front and all the hoops they want you to jump through only to find out the position was already been filled on the day you applied. I literally spent 18 hours writing a 5000 word research report just to get through the screening process. I doubt screeners even have time to read that shit.

I'm trying not to panic, but I'm really starting to get concerned about what I'm going to do if I can't find a job in the next month or two. Sucks.

Something will work out. Hang in there, OP!

by Anonymousreply 75June 9, 2021 4:08 PM

I'm still in same boat six months after my first reply above.

by Anonymousreply 76June 9, 2021 6:32 PM

It’s just a very competitive market. Op, you are doing well since you are landing interviews and getting through many rounds. Keep going. You will get there.

by Anonymousreply 77June 9, 2021 6:43 PM

OP here. I FINALLY got a job! 2 1/2 years unemployed but I'll take it.

It's with a Fortune 500 company, essentially doing what I know, but also some I'm gonna struggle with. Pays 6 figures and amazing benefits.

by Anonymousreply 78June 9, 2021 6:57 PM

[quote] OP here. I FINALLY got a job! 2 1/2 years unemployed but I'll take it. It's with a Fortune 500 company, essentially doing what I know, but also some I'm gonna struggle with. Pays 6 figures and amazing benefits.

Such great news, OP! Congrats!

by Anonymousreply 79June 9, 2021 8:50 PM

I'm in the same position. I have 25 years of experience and I see job postings for jobs that I know I could do in my sleep. I apply and get a thank you but no thank you response. Not sure why. Maybe because they can tell I'm old but I would think a company who is posting that they want certain experience would take someone with that experience immediately.

by Anonymousreply 80June 9, 2021 9:04 PM

[quote] I'm in the same position. I have 25 years of experience and I see job postings for jobs that I know I could do in my sleep. I apply and get a thank you but no thank you response. Not sure why. Maybe because they can tell I'm old but I would think a company who is posting that they want certain experience would take someone with that experience immediately.

I've learned from being on the other side of the hiring desk that many companies - especially those with tight budgets (or those that are greedy) - look at a lot of experience as an unnecessary expense when they could hire someone with a little less experience for a fraction of the cost. For the company I worked for in particular, we looked for the sweet spot between 5-8 years of experience. any more was usually deemed too expensive by HR unless they had an extraordinary talent in which we were of desperate need. I hated that part of the job as I always felt it was discriminatory, but it is what happens in some places. I've since left that job, thank God, but with 20 years of quality experience under my belt, I'm also finding it difficult to get seen for interviews.

Something will happen eventually. It's just a very unsettling position to be in.

by Anonymousreply 81June 9, 2021 10:47 PM

I figured that, r81. I have no doubt that my experience/age actually works against me but it's so frustrating that at times it makes me suicidal. I just don't know how much more I can try before I just give up and go work at Taco Bell. Not that there's anything wrong with working at Taco Bell but man, this is not how I thought my life would turn out.

by Anonymousreply 82June 10, 2021 8:11 AM

You are doing something wrong. Hire an interview coach. It's not cheap but worth every penny.

by Anonymousreply 83June 10, 2021 8:14 AM

Wow

by Anonymousreply 84June 23, 2021 4:45 PM

I refuse to do take home assignments any longer.

by Anonymousreply 85July 19, 2021 4:15 PM

OP, for those of us still where you were, how do you think you pulled it off? I find the algorithms and imbeciles in HR are the biggest (electronic) hurdle. That said, I appreciate R81's insight. Makes sense of some stuff.

by Anonymousreply 86July 19, 2021 4:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!