Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

No Country for Old Men Vs. There Will Be Blood

It feels like these movies will be forever entwined. Which one do DLers prefer?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 25, 2020 4:58 PM

I love Cormac McCarthy on the page, but I wasn’t wowed by No Country for Old Men. I might need to rewatch it.

I think There Will Be Blood is a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2020 11:14 PM

The results are shocking. I thought it would be close.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2020 11:18 PM

R2, it’s only been 10 minutes. Wait and see.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2020 11:19 PM

I love both. But "There Will Be Blood" is a masterpiece, while "No Country" is merely very, very good.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2020 11:22 PM

There Will Be Blood might technically be the superior film but I think No Country is more fun. I’ve rewatched No Country way more times than Blood.

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2020 11:26 PM

I’m for There Will Be Blood. No Country had its moments but my God, most critics had orgasms over this film. Very overrated and not one of the Coen brothers best.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2020 11:26 PM

I'm convinced the reason "No Country..." won Best Picture over "TWBB" is that the voters mixed the two films up.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2020 11:28 PM

There will be Blood, simply because of that freak Paul Dano's performance and seeing Daniel Day-Lewis get slapped in the face.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2020 11:29 PM

[QUOTE] it’s only been 10 minutes. Wait and see.

I think the lead is insurmountable, R3. DL is clearly Blood territory.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2020 11:31 PM

I voted for No Country.

Easily in my top 5 favorite films.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2020 11:32 PM

There Will Be Blood was boring but Day-Lewis gives an INCREDIBLE performance

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2020 11:34 PM

No Country is clawing back. Could it be that I counted it out too soon? Is a comeback possible afterall?

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2020 11:36 PM

The winner of this poll is going to be decided in court.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2020 11:38 PM

r12 like Chigurh, it will rise from the ashes and emerge victorious

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2020 11:39 PM

[QUOTE] I'm convinced the reason "No Country..." won Best Picture over "TWBB" is that the voters mixed the two films up.

I think it won because more people liked it and the Academy wanted to appeal to the public. No Country was a broader cultural phenomenon than Blood.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2020 11:41 PM

Just wait until the inevitable recounts, lawsuits, and rivulets of hair dye start flowing.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2020 11:41 PM

Sweet Jesus, we’re tied. Ladies and gentlemen We Are TIED! No Country has come STORMING BACK and the lead is within reach!!

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2020 11:43 PM

DLers are Oscar traditionalists. No auteurs for them.

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2020 11:43 PM

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2020 11:45 PM

I love them both, but I think I'm more in line with R1's assessment on their enduring value. Javier Bardem was fantastic as Chigurh but it was really Tommy Lee's performance, and especially his speech at the end, that give the movie its soul. Also, I love the 'that's a dead dog' moment, I don't know why, it just makes me laugh. I've been a Coens Bros fan since Raising Arizona, and Cormac McCarthy is one of my favorite authors, but I agree that its not even either of their best.

There Will Be Blood, however, IS a masterpiece. The first 5 minutes alone had me transfixed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2020 11:46 PM

Is There Will Be Blood about the Rockefellers? Is D D-L's character a sociopath? I have to admit the film mixed me up and I wasn't sure what it meant.

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2020 11:51 PM

I voted for TWBB but Tommy Lee Jones speech at the end of No Country was magnificent.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2020 11:51 PM

Masterpiece gets a bit overused, but I'm with the (current) majority, There Will Be Blood is a truly one. I don't think PTA has a prayer of ever equaling it.

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2020 11:53 PM

I love a guy who's not afraid to drink another guy's milkshake

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2020 11:54 PM

[QUOTE] Is There Will Be Blood about the Rockefellers? Is D D-L's character a sociopath

Of course he was sociopathic. The man murdered two different people without hesitation.

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2020 11:55 PM

And No Country has taken the lead! A comeback for the ages!

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2020 11:58 PM

Daniel Day Lewis was BEYOND fucking obnoxious in "There Will Be Blood", and didn't even deserve a nomination, much less a win.

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2020 11:58 PM

Fox News just called Arizona for No Country.

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2020 11:59 PM

Getty heir dear at 52.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2020 1:53 PM

Dead*

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2020 1:53 PM

[quote] Daniel Day Lewis was BEYOND fucking obnoxious

R27, your sentence can end right there and still be right.

by Anonymousreply 31November 25, 2020 12:34 AM

Wasn’t he supposed to be obnoxious, though? I mean the character was a murderous oil baron.

by Anonymousreply 32November 25, 2020 12:52 AM

The only thing I really remember from No Country was that awful cow gun weapon.

by Anonymousreply 33November 25, 2020 8:27 AM

I think people are ambivalent about No Country because the Coens really amped up the ambivalence, there are several scenes where you have to make assumptions about what happened, or they filmed a few key scenes from angles and distances that made what occurred less clear. It feel contemptuous, like the movie doesn't want to be bothered by your petty needs.

There Will Be Blood almost literally hits you over the head every time something happens, and the focus is more on the impact men like D-Day have on the world at large. I think people feel more comforted by that, like they're included, they see that story and they think it's about real billionaires who really existed and impacted their lives.

As much as I enjoy Day-Lewis's performances, Tommy Lee Jones was brilliant in No Country.

by Anonymousreply 34November 25, 2020 8:41 AM

[QUOTE] The only thing I really remember from No Country was that awful cow gun weapon.

Come on, R31, how can you not remember Anton Chigur at the very least? He was one of the most memorable characters in movie history.

by Anonymousreply 35November 25, 2020 4:21 PM

^^ Oh wait that’s supposed to be R33.

by Anonymousreply 36November 25, 2020 4:21 PM

Wow! Fellow "There Will Be Blood" fans! TWBB gets my vote.

I watched TWBB, expecting nothing. DDL is maybe like DeNiro, you either like it or you don't. (I like DDL.) But combine DDL with Paul Dano (in 2 roles) and that blew my mind. Absolutely.

Paul Dano really made something out of that preacher role.

by Anonymousreply 37November 25, 2020 4:27 PM

The Paul Dano character was the, in many ways, the same as the DDL character. DDL character thought he'd have no problem taking over that dusty little town but met his match with the Dano character.

The little boy character, I need to think about. Obviously, the little boy wasn't really a character, more a device to display different aspects of the DDL character.

And then the fake brother (of DDL) came into town ...

I guess the theme is con men and masks.

by Anonymousreply 38November 25, 2020 4:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!