Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Star Trek: Discovery (Season 3)

It’s back. Six episodes in and I am still in love.

Discuss!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233October 29, 2021 12:10 AM

The Andorian in the most recent episode was played by Mary Wiseman's cookie-smelling husband.

He was apparently a huge Trekkie growing up, so it was kind of a dream come true for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2020 11:00 PM

Omg. Tilly!

I cried.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2020 10:21 PM

I'd love it a lot more if it didn't try to make Michael the savior of the universe in every single episode.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2020 11:11 PM

R3 doesn't know what a protagonist is.

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2020 11:44 PM

Yes, dear, I do. But there was no reason for Micheal to go to Trill with Adira, other than it's the Michael Burnham show.

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2020 11:48 PM

I love Michael, including her flaws and conflicts, and I love that they - the writers - don’t shy away from pointing them out and that they make her answer for them.

Episode 6 and 7 were fantastic, and both highlight the strengths of both Star Trek as a whole and of Discovery in particular.

And again - omg! Tilly!!!!! 😭

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2020 11:54 PM

Really? Honestly I think this season is boring AF.

by Anonymousreply 7November 28, 2020 12:37 AM

R7 Really? I don’t feel that way. I think it’s really established the characters and their dynamics, and I am loving the mystery of “the burn.”

Also, might I add that the acting in this series is so overlooked and underrated. Everyone brings their A-game.

by Anonymousreply 8November 28, 2020 3:07 AM

More a comment on the entire season: I am getting more and more frustrated with the lack of depth the show is showing. Discovery simply has too many main characters that it cannot possibly service sufficiently in 10 – 15 episodes per season. Did Saru actually have a story this season? Stamets, Culber, Reno? So many characters are sidelined while we get a rehash of Burnham feeling out of place. I didn’t need the introduction of Book. How about telling us more about the more seasoned characters? We get bits and pieces about everybody all the time, but never a dedicated story. I don’t have ADD; I can handle a story in one piece within 60 minutes.

More related about the they/them C-story: Those lines about “they” and “them” wasn’t even a story. That dialog sounded like coming straight from a deck of my HR department.

What was good? Detmer having fun flying. That was a great moment. Could have become a real story. But even those two minutes were fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2020 6:01 PM

I have to check out the latest episode. I love the whole series, unabashedly, but I feel you, R9.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2020 6:54 PM

Book and his bro definitely had some sexual chemistry, yes?

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2020 2:21 PM

No. They didn't have any chemistry - at least in my more or less humble opinion. I didn't even buy them as friends let alone Bros. I may not have paid too much attention. That story was so by the book (really no pun intended) that I started reading on my tablet.

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2020 2:56 PM

You nail it R9. The best way to describe this show is that a lot is going on but nothing is happening. The writers are so focused on going from one point to the next, but we never see how we get to each point. That's what plot is all about and there's too many shows on TV now that have no character development. STD is one of them.

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2020 4:04 PM

Star Trek: Discovery does have character development, goddammit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2020 4:13 PM

The best part of the last episode was Detmer getting a few minutes to cut loose and show some personality. I do enjoy the show overall, but it doesn't seem to have much of an idea of what it wants to do. It's suffocated by the savior complex they've saddled Michael with, plus now it's "woke" with the addition of the Adira character. Michelle Yeoh is being completely wasted.

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2020 4:37 PM

I'm confused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2020 4:41 PM

I have to discuss the preview scene for next week, which is going to explain just what's happening with Phillipa.

David Cronenberg is back, and explains that she's messed up because she's traveled through time in a different dimension and her howsiwhatsits are all messed up.

Cronenberg knows this because he's seen it before, in an officer who came from the 24th century, but had originated in an alternate universe created by a Romulan mining ship.

He's from the Kelvin-verse.

Mind. Blown.

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2020 4:19 PM

[quote]Michelle Yeoh is being completely wasted.

THIS!!! In fact, all their big name appearances (Rebecca Romijn, Tig Notaro, Michelle Yeoh, even Spock) are all wasted.

It must be nice working on that show because you get paid to not do much... outside of Sonequa Martin Green.

by Anonymousreply 18December 9, 2020 12:37 AM

needs more Borg

by Anonymousreply 19December 9, 2020 12:59 AM

Bitches, it will get better! I love it too much, though.

by Anonymousreply 20December 9, 2020 2:43 AM

The actor that plays Saru does a terrific job. Great character. It’s probably one of the best, most layered and empathetic performances on the show, and he’s got a big goddamn rubber mask on his head. Amazing, really.

by Anonymousreply 21December 9, 2020 5:16 AM

People jacking off to mediocrities like Discovery and The Mandalorian are proof of our declining standards and our increasingly impoverished culture.

by Anonymousreply 22December 9, 2020 6:31 AM

Oooh, get her!

by Anonymousreply 23December 9, 2020 7:14 AM

R22 Your dank pomposity and odious pretension as you shoot your noxious and bitter jizz off on a pleb innocently enjoying a harmless crackerjack show - in my opinion, of course - are surely proof of something, though I don’t care enough to reach beyond the, I am sure, apt labels: boring and tedious.

by Anonymousreply 24December 9, 2020 7:23 AM

Steady on, r24.

by Anonymousreply 25December 9, 2020 10:49 AM

Love that Detmer got a moment - but there's still something going on with her.

I actually missed Reno the past couple of episodes.

The more they feature Book the more I love him.

Current theory amongst the ST geeks is that BURNham caused the Burn.

by Anonymousreply 26December 9, 2020 12:14 PM

Urgh... Say it ain't so. Burnham's role in the universe has been overexposed already.

by Anonymousreply 27December 9, 2020 2:05 PM

I also enjoyed the Detmer flying scenes much more than some of the other scenes. Enjoyed seeing her flying with Ryn the Andorian, especially his reaction when the cat jumped onto his lap. "AAAAAH, WHAT IS THIS CREATURE?!?"

by Anonymousreply 28December 9, 2020 3:01 PM

Overall, I'm really liking this season so far (can't believe it's half over already). I greatly appreciate the shift towards more character focused stories with less frantic pacing. The best episode so far was Unification III which didn't feature a single battle or action sequence, it felt much more 'old school' Star Trek. That being said, and I might be in the minority, I still think season 2 was slightly better (I'll reserve final judgment until we see the whole season). I really feel the absences of Anson Mount and Ethan Peck greatly this season, I think they and their characters added a great dynamic to the show and the show falls kind of flat without them. It's clear that this season they've tried to move away from the completely interconnected episodes to more of a thread approach (similar to DS9) where the story lines continue into subsequent episodes, but every episode can stand on its own merit to a degree, but this season just seems to lack stakes. The main story 'what caused the burn' is really kind of 'meh,' it hasn't captured my attention. I read that they were planning on focusing more on Michael's quest to find her mother, but the actress who played Michael's mother was arrested last year with possession of cocaine and they weren't sure if they could get her into Canada to film.

R1 Mary Wiseman's husband, Noah really long last name, does ping BUT I actually think he's a really geeky/preppy straight guy.

R6 I actually like the soft reboot of Michael's character this season. Although, I have to be honest, I don't 12 months separated from Discovery is a long enough gap to justify the huge changes in her character. What I do like is the fact that she no longer seems to want the responsibilities of command. I think the "saviour of the universe" story of the first two seasons has made her shy away from wanting to be in the center seat.

R15 Michelle Yeoh was given more to do last season. This season's they're basically setting up the Section 31 series, but I think they dragged it out too long. Yeoh is not in Toronto filming season 4 (she's back in Paris where she lives) and the rumour is the Section 31 series will begin filming later in 2021.

R26 Tig Notaro has confirmed she was in fewer episodes in season 3 because of her touring schedule.

R28 I enjoyed the Detmer scenes too. I also just recently learned that the actress that plays her is married to a woman in real life.

by Anonymousreply 29December 9, 2020 3:37 PM

Good science fiction is theme and plot driven, with character development taking a back seat. Discovery is just a soap opera set in space. It's not science fiction.

by Anonymousreply 30December 9, 2020 3:55 PM

R30 Um, have your ever watched Star Trek (particularly TNG or DS9) or shows like Babylon 5, or BSG, or even the Orville?

by Anonymousreply 31December 9, 2020 4:17 PM

R31 I'm a huge fan of TOS and TNG. DS9 is where it started to go off the rails although it's still good. The Orville is just pure trash, as is Picard and Discovery. Some character development is good, but it shouldn't be the raison d'etre. The Expanse is a show that balances character development with hard science fiction.

by Anonymousreply 32December 9, 2020 4:27 PM

You take that back about Picard and Discovery!

by Anonymousreply 33December 9, 2020 4:29 PM

Not a particularly constructive comment but I find Book utterly hot.

by Anonymousreply 34December 9, 2020 4:37 PM

R30 Then don't watch it.

by Anonymousreply 35December 9, 2020 4:38 PM

R35 oh believe me I dumped these trash heaps of shows after watching the first few episodes and skipping through the newer seasons. Absolute shit.

by Anonymousreply 36December 9, 2020 5:28 PM

R35 oh believe me I dumped these trash heaps of shows after watching the first few episodes and skipping through the newer seasons. Absolute shit.

by Anonymousreply 37December 9, 2020 5:28 PM

R36 & R37 and yet you're wasting time on a thread about (4 or 5 replies now) about a show you hate....maybe you should do something more productive, or get a hobby or actually meet people and move out of your parent's basement?

by Anonymousreply 38December 9, 2020 5:58 PM

R38 I think he/she hate watches both this thread and the aforementioned shows.

by Anonymousreply 39December 9, 2020 6:04 PM

R38 Here's my take: anyone who spends hours of their writing about something they claim to hate actually loves it. But we live in a time were shitting on everything gets you more views.

by Anonymousreply 40December 9, 2020 6:08 PM

I am filled with hate and rage for Star Trek. I will see it dead and buried. To the last I grapple with thee. From hell's heart I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 9, 2020 6:17 PM

You’re a cutie, R38/R41. Please stay.

by Anonymousreply 42December 9, 2020 6:19 PM

My theory: Detmer has cybernetic implants which means, just like Arium (Erium?) she was susceptible to infection by Control. I think that her mental state is partly caused by a tiny piece of Control that’s currently dormant.

And can I just say, thank fucking God we have moved past any mention of holodecks and episodes of them malfunctioning.

by Anonymousreply 43December 9, 2020 6:53 PM

[quote]. Some character development is good, but it shouldn't be the raison d'etre.

Some character development is good, but personally I prefer other elements of Sci Fi.

by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2020 7:14 PM

R44 It's not control Kristen Beyer confirmed in a Positively Trek podcast a few weeks ago that they will not be revisiting the Control story line. Emily Coutts (who plays Detmer) said in an interview with Star Trek magazine that Detmer is dealing with PTSD stemming back to the battle during the Klingon War. Also, She and Lt. Owosekun are a couple right?

by Anonymousreply 45December 9, 2020 11:24 PM

I do wish they had opted for stand alone episodes, rather than a long story arc. Somehow I wasn’t awfully invested in Michael’s mom/red angel last year, and the burn this year. Give me a Harry Mudd episode.

by Anonymousreply 46December 10, 2020 3:02 AM

R46 I prefer season long arcs myself but I have to admit, the burn stuff isn't really all that interesting. In all honesty though, this season has been more episodic than the previous two. Strange New World is supposed to be more episodic "planet of the week" stuff. I think producers are really trying to give every part of the fandom something they'll be drawn to.

by Anonymousreply 47December 10, 2020 3:31 AM

The writing just isn't very good. The red angel thing was cringy.

by Anonymousreply 48December 10, 2020 4:02 AM

I think overall Discovery has improved this season. The writing is stronger and the characterizations are improving. But anyone else find this season kind of directionless with a noticeable lack of stakes. Today's episode "Terra Firma Part 1" was a good episode but really was just filler. If the burn is supposed to be the central story of the season than go all the way. I think they beated on fans being way more interested in that they actually are.

by Anonymousreply 49December 11, 2020 5:17 AM

R49 I haven’t watched today’s ep yet!

by Anonymousreply 50December 11, 2020 6:12 AM

R48 Bingo! I don’t dislike Discovery because I’m some sort of snob; I dislike it because I know what well-written, well-cast, well-acted Star Trek looks like, and this ain’t it. Same is true for Picard, by the way. The increased availability of mediocre content (fueled by tired franchises, remakes, and remakes of remakes) in the Streaming Age has deadened everyone’s critical faculties.

by Anonymousreply 51December 11, 2020 11:30 AM

I think - and this is not based on well-founded fact finding, just my hypothesis - that the show has a too large budget, and that it is too self-conscious to write something extraordinary.

Visually, the show has all the bells and whistles. Personally, I could do with less. Lots of SFX are overdone. Remember the times when outer space was just dark and black with maybe one or two white spots sprinkled in? When I look out the window that still seems more plausible than all the CGI fogs and energy ribbons you see in Sci Fi. Less is more in my opinion. Or think the overdeveloped Klingon look leading to decreased abilities for the actors to act (behind all that rubber), or at least two fighting scenes in each episodes, just because you need to spend the budget.

Then there is so much fan service that the writers feel compelled to do which prevents them from finding the show's own Star Trek voice. Great SFX look good, but that's not what a show is going to be remembered for. Neither are fight scenes. Audiences usually remember a great story arc, a remarkable character or a profound message. Not sure DSC has found its voice in this regard yet.

by Anonymousreply 52December 11, 2020 11:57 AM

R51 Or maybe some of us just like cotton candy, as cambric and unnutritious as it may be.

R52 Good points.

by Anonymousreply 53December 11, 2020 12:17 PM

R52 You mentioned a lot of the points I wanted to make! They are clearly trying to be more cinematic with Discovery, which is great, but Star Trek has never been a cinematic show (even the movies with the exception the Kelvin ones). Star Trek at it's core, is an exposition based show. It's interesting if you look at many of the different series, it's their 'bottle episodes' (the ones they wrote to save money) that often end up being the legacy episodes: "The Drumhead" or "Measure of a Man" on TNG. "In the Pale Moonlight," "The Visitor" and "Far Beyond the Stars" on DS9. Voyager I can't think of any because I think most of it's top 10 episodes are its high-budget two parters.

And I agree, the fan service is damaging the show. Every season so far has been an attempt to rectify the fan complaints. TNG and DS9 writers/producers largely ignored the fandom and ended up producing two shows with lasting legacies within the franchise. The show needs to be allowed to find its own voice. There are hints that's happening this season but still not quiet there.

There has been a lot of turnover in the Disco writer's room so that probably explains a lot of what is going on. When I watch the show, I feel like the episodes lack anchors e.g. a clearly defined A-story. Unification III is probably the best episode this season because it's plot was the central focus of the entire episode with a minor B-plot of Tilly being offered the role of first officer. Many of the episodes have so much going on it's hard to keep track.

by Anonymousreply 54December 11, 2020 9:13 PM

R52 It's strange that such a high budget show seemingly can't afford good writers. It's all style over substance. It's visually stunning, but not a whole lot of new ground being covered for Star Trek or science fiction, generally. I randomly watched an episode of TNG yesterday, not a well known one either, and it was far superior in pacing, plot, dialogue, etc. than Discovery or Picard.

by Anonymousreply 55December 11, 2020 10:06 PM

Is the female android the android Messia or something and have they shown more of the male android with BDF?

by Anonymousreply 56December 11, 2020 10:16 PM

Paul Guilfoyle’s character is a Q, right? We’re agreed?

by Anonymousreply 57December 11, 2020 11:14 PM

R57 Maybe but he seems to be connected the the Guardian of Forever. The newspaper he holds up, is the same one we see at the mission Kirk and Spock go to in "City on the Edge of Forever" there is allegedly even a picture of Joan Collins as Edith Keeler briefly seen in the paper.

by Anonymousreply 58December 12, 2020 2:05 AM

Anyone else think Jason Isaacs is going to turn up next week?

Also I am assuming this Michelle Yeoh's swansong to Discovery? These seems to be setting up the groundwork for her own show which I believe is supposed to start filming later in 2021. Right now Discovery is filming season 4 in Toronto but Yeoh is currently at her home in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 59December 13, 2020 10:55 PM

Wow, I don't know if we needed a two-part episode setting up the Section 31 series, but that was honestly a great episode. I loved watching Philippa realize how much the Prime Universe had changed her, and that she liked that about herself. And I got quite verklempt at her goodbyes to Michael.

The crew toasting her was great too.

by Anonymousreply 60December 17, 2020 4:54 PM

In ToS, Guardian of Forever specifically states that he cannot alter the speed at which he operates.

It stated that it was older than the Earth's sun - 4.6 billion years old. In the paltry 900 years, it couldn't possibly have evolved as it did to present itself as it did.

When you cannot write a coherent story without deus ex machina magic, you do not have a coherent story.

by Anonymousreply 61December 17, 2020 4:58 PM

R60 I haven’t watched the last two episodes- I’ve been busy with work - but your post has me excited!

by Anonymousreply 62December 17, 2020 9:26 PM

R60 It has me legit excited for the Section 31 series. Michelle Yeoh is just fantastic and she's more than worthy of carrying a whole show on her own. I loved the speech Michael gives at the end of the episode about her relationship with "Philippa." Anyone who has a complex relationship with family (or chosen family) will understand that line: "I loved her, I hated her, often at the same time."

R61 Why would you waste two hours of your life watching something that you don't like and then spent more time afterwards writing about it on DL?

by Anonymousreply 63December 19, 2020 2:17 AM

What was it exactly that mirror Georgiou gave Burnham? I understand that 'our' Philippa was like a mother to her. But what was it exactly that MU Georgiou gave her?

by Anonymousreply 64December 19, 2020 3:33 AM

[quote][R61] Why would you waste two hours of your life watching something that you don't like and then spent more time afterwards writing about it on DL?

Another exhausting person who doesn't understand the role of critique and critical analysis.

Does it cause you social anxiety when people don't agree completely with you? Do you get sad or depressed when people don't shower you and the things you like with praise without any negative criticism?

Would you like us to find you your comfort animal to self-soothe while you try to courageously carry-on through a discussion thread?

by Anonymousreply 65December 19, 2020 5:58 PM

R63 Just block R61 trust me, half the form will disappear ;)

by Anonymousreply 66December 19, 2020 6:04 PM

I still haven’t watched the last 2 episodes. Discovery was trending on Thursday and yesterday, though.

by Anonymousreply 67December 19, 2020 7:56 PM

R67 I really enjoyed the last two episodes but they are viewed better if you watch them as a single two hour episode. The episode is clearly set up to redeem the Georgiou character and set her up for the Section 31 series (if/when that happens).

by Anonymousreply 68December 20, 2020 3:51 AM

R68 Will do. I plan on watching them tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 69December 20, 2020 3:53 AM

So, is the Section 31 series actually happening? After the new Pike show was announced, all the talk about Michelle Yeoh's spin-off seemed to die down.

by Anonymousreply 70December 21, 2020 4:38 PM

The explanation for the Burn is...disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 71December 25, 2020 2:05 AM

r71, very disappointing. Now watch Burnham save the universe at the end of the season. I’m so over that show hogging character.

by Anonymousreply 72December 25, 2020 2:21 AM

[quote][R71], very disappointing. Now watch Burnham save the universe at the end of the season. I’m so over that show hogging character.

It's too bad that the character isn't that good because I find that I like the actress - she's doing as good a job as she can with what's she's given.

Every once in a while, you see glimmers of what could-have-been with her portrayal of the character. Frankly, if the character were a bit better, she'd probably knock it out of the park, and we'd all love her.

by Anonymousreply 73December 25, 2020 3:02 AM

The op looks pretty now!

by Anonymousreply 74December 25, 2020 3:04 AM

r73, my favorite season 3 episode thus far is Episode 2 when we get a whole episode with everyone but Burnham and she shows up just in the last scene.

by Anonymousreply 75December 25, 2020 3:22 AM

R72 hello? The premise of the show is about her. Its always has.

by Anonymousreply 76December 25, 2020 8:48 AM

[quote]The explanation for the Burn is...disappointing.

Yet if it had had something to do with Michael, people would have complained louder.

by Anonymousreply 77December 25, 2020 1:27 PM

[quote]Yet if it had had something to do with Michael, people would have complained louder.

There are many possible explanations that would have made for great tv that would have had nothing to do with her - strawman much?

Can you imagine how hated the Kelpians would be if they are found to have been responsible for the Burn? Threat ganglia would be going back on the menu across the galaxy...

by Anonymousreply 78December 25, 2020 3:35 PM

Yeah I have to say this week's episode was a let down. I feel like the writing for the season is much stronger than the previous two, but the pacing and the stakes are way off. The burn story has been uninteresting, and this sudden shift back to possibly making Michael the captain of the Discovery is annoying.

That being said, I'm not sold that the explanation for the burn is 100% the whole story, I think there's more to come. The writer's of discovery have been good at defying our expectations. I also think the story for this season is going to continue into season 4. The season opening was "That Hope Is Your Part 1" but there was not a part two. I think part two will be the opening to season 4.

by Anonymousreply 79December 26, 2020 4:41 AM

If the explanation for the burn is really just a kelpian kid having a tantrum then I’ll definitely be disappointed, but I’m hoping that’s not the whole story

by Anonymousreply 80December 26, 2020 7:32 AM

[quote]If the explanation for the burn is really just a kelpian kid having a tantrum then I’ll definitely be disappointed, but I’m hoping that’s not the whole story

For the story to have that sense of surprise, but inevitability - the kind of ending where no one guessed, but all the pieces of the puzzle and clues were right there - the Burn needs to have been tied somehow to Discovery coming to the future. A lot of folks have also tried tying the short Trek Calypso to the current situation which would give it a clear sense that it was all planned out.

If you look at the TNG episode "Cause and Effect" (the one with Kelsey Grammer), his ship coming forward in time causes the temporal anomaly that traps the Enterprise. Discovery going 1000 years into the future needs to have consequences.

The most satisfying shows and movies are the ones where all the pieces fall into place when the final string is pulled. Given Lost and Alias, I doubt that Kurtzman will pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 81December 26, 2020 5:23 PM

Can someone please explain the Calypso short with Book. When did this take place. He was on an empty Discovery acting like it was his first time on that ship. Was it Discovery or another Federation vessel?

by Anonymousreply 82December 26, 2020 5:49 PM

Don’t laugh, bitches, but I’m mentioning this show in here because Trekkies are so the demo for it. I think you’ll like!

[quote] Stumbled upon this on Disney + and am shocked by how smart and good it is! I vaguely remember being aware of this in the 90s but I was in my mid-teens and outgrowing my love of comic books (one never really does, though). Pleasantly surprised and engrossed. Too bad it only lasted one season.

Sci-Fi and Trekkies will appreciate it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 26, 2020 5:55 PM

[quote]Can someone please explain the Calypso short with Book. When did this take place. He was on an empty Discovery acting like it was his first time on that ship. Was it Discovery or another Federation vessel?

This short trek was released between season 1 and season 2. It's not book. It's a guy named Craft.

What makes it so interesting is that a sentient AI is running Discovery at that point after the crew has abandoned the ship - a hint at the sphere data that was eventually downloaded in Season 2 and the reason they needed to jump into the future. During Season 3, we've gotten hints that the AI is becoming sentient and will "become" the AI named Zora that we see in Calypso.

by Anonymousreply 84December 26, 2020 10:14 PM

Thank you r84.

by Anonymousreply 85December 26, 2020 10:23 PM

[quote]So, is the Section 31 series actually happening? After the new Pike show was announced, all the talk about Michelle Yeoh's spin-off seemed to die down.

If you noticed, Discovery Season 3 was obviously filmed with a much lower budget than the previous 2 seasons. COVID delayed productions & the network bottom line took a punch because of the shutdowns. And the recent industry articles about Discovery not getting the viewership that the network expected. It all comes down to some plans being delayed or cancelled all together. And Section 31 may just be one of them.

by Anonymousreply 86December 27, 2020 2:25 AM

R86 The recent "industry article" you're referring to if from Giant Freaking Robot which is a dubious news source that is typically on board with those "Alex Kurtzman is fired" dudes. I suspect this bull, though I am willing to believe CBS All Access is not the success CBS had hoped for.

First off, Amazon Prime pays part of Picard and Lower Deck's budget so I doubt they're going to allow it be streamed on Netflix in the US. Season 4 of Discovery is already filming, Strange New World, and Picard season 2 are set to film in February, and Section 31 is supposed to start filing in the summer after Season 4 of Discovery is done. The Section 31 show was announced in January 2019 but even then, Kurtzman said it would be two years or so before the show would start filming because they were going to wrap Georgiou's story on Discovery and Michelle was basically booked solid until the end of 2020 (this was before COVID of course). The Pike show was always going to go into production before Section 31 because the sets were built and the show cast.

Picard is going to film season 2 and 3 back to back, Discovery has unofficially been given the green light for season 5, and Lower Decks is currently filming season 2 which is likely going to be out by the Summer or fall.

Star Trek Prodigy is set to begin in 2021 (Mulgrew has hinted she will be doing voice work from home in January) and Kurtzman has implied CBS has greenlit two more project we haven't heard anything about yet. Star Trek is doing fine.

by Anonymousreply 87December 27, 2020 6:28 AM

Are they filming Picard in LA at the same time they're filming SNW in Toronto? There was a post on the Star Trek on All Access Twitter (which is separate from the main Star Trek one) which was a video clip of La Sirena at warp with the message "Heading towards 2021 as fast as possible. #StarTrekPicard."

by Anonymousreply 88December 27, 2020 1:03 PM

R88 Yes, Picard will film (assuming there are no further COVID delays) at the same time as SNW in Toronto, but in LA. When Patrick Stewart agreed to do the new show, one of his conditions was that it would be filmed in LA because it was more convenient for him. Stewart is primarily based in New York but he bought a house in LA in Summer 2019 (while Picard was still filming) and he seems to have been based there during COVID.

by Anonymousreply 89December 27, 2020 3:27 PM

R86 & R87 CBS All Access is being rebranded next year to Paramount+ and it sounds like the new service is going to have a greater focus on sports and movies. The new Star Trek shows were the cornerstone of CBS All Access but it's possible with the rebrand they may feel Star Trek doesn't fit the brand as much. Discovery does really strong numbers on international Netflix and is typically in the top 10 when new episodes air. US Netflix has wanted to buy the licensing right to Star Trek for years. That being said, I can't see CBS selling off or moving new Trek a different platform. What I can see happening is a deal with Netflix in which the PAST SEASONS of Discovery, Picard and LD are made available several months after they air on Paramount+

by Anonymousreply 90December 28, 2020 3:52 AM

Apparently this week's upcoming episode of Discovery will be the 800th episode of the entire Trek franchise.

by Anonymousreply 91December 29, 2020 2:56 AM

Long live the empire

by Anonymousreply 92December 29, 2020 9:13 AM

Interesting thread about Anthony Rapp over here: allegedly he's a bitch to deal with on the Discovery set. Also, all the men's butts are padded on the show?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 29, 2020 5:37 PM

I used to love Star Trek. But I'm kinda done with this show. The episode yesterday had only one silver lining which was Tilly in the captain's chair. I'm glad she was portrayed as competent and not insecure like other underlings before who got to try the big chair for the first time. Tilly even oozed some great gravitas as acting captain. But oh my god does this show need a sense of direction. It really has no clue what it wants to be. Right now it wants to be everything for everyone and accomplishes nothing.

by Anonymousreply 94January 1, 2021 12:15 AM

The writers really need to learn basic script writing, e.g., how scenes "turn", setup/pattern/payoff, show/don't tell.

by Anonymousreply 95January 1, 2021 12:39 AM

Is the ship a Venezuelan, or a homosexual? Why does it twirl in that flamboyant and attention-getting way before traveling at warp speed?

by Anonymousreply 96January 1, 2021 12:41 AM

In another forum they call the Orion villain "Discount Seska". That made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 97January 1, 2021 2:42 PM

I actually thought she did well in her scenes with Vance. She doesn't seem that intimidating when she's ordering people around.

by Anonymousreply 98January 1, 2021 4:00 PM

I also thought it was very sweet of them to find a way to give Kenneth Mitchell some work while accommodating his ALS limitations.

by Anonymousreply 99January 1, 2021 4:08 PM

If Michael ends up kicking that Orion bitch’s ass and saving the day, I will be so piss. Let Tilly be the hero.

by Anonymousreply 100January 1, 2021 4:59 PM

I actually think they are setting it up to be Tilly. Michael hasn't had any scenes with Ossyra I don't think.

by Anonymousreply 101January 1, 2021 5:05 PM

R101 in the trailer from next week, Ossyra and Michael are shown engaging in hand to hand combat.

by Anonymousreply 102January 1, 2021 5:39 PM

r102, that’s what I’m talking about. I’m so over Michael.

by Anonymousreply 103January 1, 2021 5:44 PM

Are there more episodes to this season or was that the finale?

by Anonymousreply 104January 1, 2021 6:17 PM

Next week will be the season finale I think.

by Anonymousreply 105January 1, 2021 6:20 PM

What the fuck is wrong with that Orion chick's mouth? It's like there are prosthetics that don't fit well or something. It's CONSTANTLY distracting.

by Anonymousreply 106January 1, 2021 8:15 PM

R106 I've noticed that with both the Orion and Andorian characters this season. Their skins seems rubbery. I think rather than applying the green or blue paint right to the actors skin, they are putting on pieces of pre-painted latex (similar to the type of mask they would have used for Odo back on DS9).

by Anonymousreply 107January 2, 2021 3:15 AM

That's really sad about Kenneth Mitchell. He was so hot on Jericho.

by Anonymousreply 108January 3, 2021 3:17 AM

R106 & R107 I'm pretty sure they are using latex applications on her face. Discovery is filmed in HDR and applying green paint directly to an actors face would look "cakey" because it would draw attention to every pore and wrinkle on their face. Applying painted latex gives a smooth look.

by Anonymousreply 109January 3, 2021 4:09 AM

Except I'm constantly distracted by how fake her mouth looks.

by Anonymousreply 110January 3, 2021 4:48 AM

I noticed that her mouth was “off” too. Not sure what it was, but it was quite distracting.

by Anonymousreply 111January 3, 2021 5:03 AM

Same actress when she was in CW's Arrow:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 3, 2021 11:34 AM

[quote] Is the ship a Venezuelan, or a homosexual? Why does it twirl in that flamboyant and attention-getting way before traveling at warp speed?

What a cutie you are, lol.

So, I’ve fallen behind by 4 episodes. Good thing about that, though, is that I’ll be able to go on a mini-binge.

by Anonymousreply 113January 3, 2021 12:22 PM

R112 The actresses name is Janet Kidder. She is the niece of the late Margot Kidder. I was kind of shocked to read she's 50 in real life. I guess using the green latex cuts down on showing wrinkles.

by Anonymousreply 114January 3, 2021 3:20 PM

[quote]She is the niece of the late Margot Kidder.

Now that you say that, I totally see it. Even with the makeup.

by Anonymousreply 115January 3, 2021 3:21 PM

A little over 6 hours before the season finale drops.

Things I don't want to see happen:

- Saru leaving Discovery to be with his people.

- A combined Vulcan/-Ni'Var and Earth fleet warping in to save the Federation.

- A cliffhanger beyond Osyraa escaping.

- Somehow there is a space magic explanation that makes Tal "real" and able to interact with everyone else.

Things I hope happen:

- A better explanation for the Burn than a child's tantrum (the timing is such that it was either his mother's death or his birth that caused the original Burn if that is what caused it).

- The floating apparition turning out to be the "real" Sukal after decades of radiation with the one that looks Kelpian being a hologram.

- David Cronenberg is the President of the Federation, not the head of Section 21.

- A much better version of Zora, the sphere data AI. Frankly, if it's got that much knowledge, why doesn't it have info on other options besides dilithium-based warp cores? If it could pinpoint the location of the Guardian, especially since it's been moved from the original planet, then it's got to have other options (frankly, the sphere data is a huge and ridiculous plot device - how could Discovery have enough memory/storage for all that data. The Enterprise D was barely large enough to store the Binars' data and the sphere data has to be orders of magnitude larger).

by Anonymousreply 116January 7, 2021 1:00 AM

Well, that was utterly disappointing...

They could have at least created some conflict and escalation of stakes by making it that another Burn would happen if Sukal left the dilithium planet forcing them into a moral dilemma between saving him and utterly destroying the rest of the dilithium or leaving him to die as the ship falls apart, then space magicked a solution to save him. Even better, they could have NOT saved him and given the character a development arc where he finally matures after being told what's happened and he sacrifices himself. For good measure, they could have thrown in Saru deciding to stay with him as he dies, but at the last minute Sukal pulls a Data-from-Nemesis and saves Saru who is left devastated afterwards and needing time away from the ship. It all could still have ended the same way, but with better escalation of stakes and tension.

by Anonymousreply 117January 7, 2021 1:43 PM

r116, please tell me Burnham didn’t save the day and became Captain.

by Anonymousreply 118January 7, 2021 2:13 PM

r118 - if only I could, r118. If only I could.

by Anonymousreply 119January 7, 2021 3:02 PM

So my overall thoughts for the season. I loved the character development, and I liked the slower more thoughtful tone. That being said, these season's biggest problem was its pacing. The main story (finding the federation and the cause of the burn) was too spread out and made the last 3 episodes feel weak and more like after thoughts. I still think the show has improved but if you're going to tell one continuing story over the span of a season, it needs to be more connected. I still think Season 2 was better overall than season 3.

by Anonymousreply 120January 7, 2021 4:34 PM

In season two, the final two episodes were the best two.

In season three, the final two episodes were the weakest two.

I kinda agree with R117.

by Anonymousreply 121January 8, 2021 12:46 AM

Just once I'd like to see an episode where Michael Burnham isn't the savior and maybe actually is saved by someone else.

by Anonymousreply 122January 8, 2021 3:40 AM

And what the fuck was up with that scene with the turbo lift? Why was there so much unused space? Very unrealistic considering the ship design.

by Anonymousreply 123January 8, 2021 3:42 AM

R122 How dare the star of the show frequently save the day. I mean it's not the lead character of any other Star Trek series saved the ship week after week. Like we never saw Kirk save the ship, well maybe sometimes, but only like in 79 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 124January 8, 2021 4:30 AM

Picard, Sisko, Janeway, and Archer weren’t always the only one saving the day. I will miss Saru.

by Anonymousreply 125January 8, 2021 4:56 AM

"Get a life. For God sakes its just a tv show"

by Anonymousreply 126January 8, 2021 7:47 AM

I loved the first part of season 3 up until they revealed the cause of the burn and Georgiou left. A kid grew up close to dilithium and now his tantrums can affect dilithium everywhere in the galaxy? I know it’s sci-fi but that just makes no sense to me - and from a story point of view I found it very unsatisfying.

R123 And yeah, wtf was up with 90% of the interior of discovery looking like a futuristic Amazon warehouse

I had no problem with Michael becoming captain though, that’s been inevitable since episode 1 anyway, I’m only surprised it took so long

by Anonymousreply 127January 8, 2021 8:55 AM

[quote][R123] And yeah, wtf was up with 90% of the interior of discovery looking like a futuristic Amazon warehouse

It was a cool visual but didn't make a lot of sense.

Then again, Insurrection revealed that the Enterprise-E had its own bottomless pit, so there's that.

I'm glad they saved putting the crew in the contemporary Starfleet uniforms for this.

by Anonymousreply 128January 8, 2021 10:11 AM

Saru is the best character and real star of the show - sorry Burnham stans.

by Anonymousreply 129January 8, 2021 1:38 PM

Burnham being Captain was always the plan, but it just doesn't seem in line with where she is in her character development. I did enjoy the changes they made to her character this season and the move away from her more 'logical' view to more 'Kirky' kind of rouge action hero. But honestly, I think they should have either made her captain right from the start of the season OR waited until the end of next season.

The first half of the season was better than the second half but overall as a whole it was too padded out. I think the writers caved too much to fan pressure to make the series feel more episodic and as a result, they lost control of the story they were trying to tell, and key elements were added in too late. Like Osyraa didn't have enough screen time to make her feel like more than a cookie cutter Star Trek villain. The Emerald Chain also didn't work well because we really didn't see much of them to make them seem like bad guys we should be concerned about. Saru longing to be with his people came in too late. Ironically the Georgiou two-parter was probably the best episodes of the season and yet they should have been much closer to the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 130January 8, 2021 4:34 PM

[quote] lost control of the story they were trying to tell, and key elements were added in too late.

I agree with that, but I really don't understand how that could happen. You have roughly a year to come up with thirteen episodes. But this season feels like they hammered something together within six week and ran out of time to mold thirteen segments into a cohesive product. And that was before Covid.

by Anonymousreply 131January 8, 2021 7:44 PM

When Adira went to Trill, it was Dr. Culber that should’ve went with her and not Michael. The episode started off being centered on him and that his voice over narration commenting on everyone. This is the main problem I have with the show. They got Michael damn near everything and considering the ensemble like acting from previous ST shows, it’s tiresome. The only other person the show spent considerable time with is Saru and Georgiou. They’re both gone and Michael’s the Captain. I’m not looking forward to season 4.

by Anonymousreply 132January 8, 2021 7:59 PM

R131 They didn't have a year. Season Two ended principal production in December 2018 and Season Three began filming in July 2019. It's likely the story boarding for season 3 didn't begin until January or February 2019 and active script writing probably not until March or April. They don't write the whole season before filming beings. At the most they had one script in production, one in pre-production, and one in final draft at any given time. I'm not excusing the writers but the pace of television is such that even in serialized TV while the whole story might be plotted in advanced scripts are not written as far out.

I think there was some turnover in the writer's room again this season and I think they had too much on their list of what they wanted to do (the state of the federation, the burn, the emerald chain, Earth, writing Georgeou out of the show) that it all got lost in the mix. I think they made a mistake with the Georgeou stuff, either it should have been earlier in the season freeing more space at the back end, or saved for Season 4 since the Section 31 should will likely not be ready until after season 4 airs any ways. If we're lucky Section 31 is supposed to go into production in Fall of this year....but who knows with COVID>

by Anonymousreply 133January 8, 2021 9:22 PM

[quote] should’ve went

May I "Oh dear" real quick?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134January 8, 2021 10:49 PM

I don't like being so negative on this show there are flashes of something profound but it always seems to immediately correct itself into mediocrity. Like when Ossyra was negotiating with Vance, suddenly she becomes a layered villain ruthless but who lays out a path forward for her society banning slavery and the writers immediately chuck that into the garbage by having Vance insist she stand trial for crimes. He never had Georgiou prosecuted. Discovery's pet nazi committed crimes many magnitudes worse than Ossyra but never saw consequences for it. Now Vance is ending those slaves' chance for freedom by making a deal no leader of a foreign nation would ever possibly agree to. It would be like if the Khitomer Accords required Klingons to be prosecuted for war crimes, it's the federation struck by utter stupidity and that characterises so many poor decisions the characters make. Plot threads that if the writers thought about for more than 5 minutes they'd realise make no sense.

But I'm watching old old trek for the first time and Spock, Kirk and McCoy are so wonderfully bitchy to each other.

by Anonymousreply 135January 8, 2021 10:52 PM

They need to go back to an episodic format like TNG. DS9 style serialization is not working for this clunker.

by Anonymousreply 136January 8, 2021 10:53 PM

The problem is not the serialization, but the bad writers.

These people follow the JJ Abrams/Kurtzman approach that was used in Lost and Alias: toss in as much "cool" stuff as you can possibly think of without any plan to being the threads all back together. Then, throw out some half-assed explanation that doesn't even follow the rules of the universe they created, let alone the established rules of the franchise they're playing in.

These writers are actually technically less proficient at the craft than a lot of the Trek fanfiction out there.

by Anonymousreply 137January 9, 2021 12:47 AM

R136 No thanks. I actually don't like episodic TV and it's not how things are done anymore in most sci-fi shows. It's more the quality of the writing rather than the serialized story telling. Strange New Worlds is supposed to be more 'old school Trek' which is awesome and I suspect it might steal some of Discovery's dominance as 'the' Star Trek show (you know part of the fandom will be happy with the white male lead). But Discovery was always set up to be an arc based show as was Picard.

by Anonymousreply 138January 9, 2021 12:56 AM

[quote]there are flashes of something profound but it always seems to immediately correct itself into mediocrity

This is EXACTLY how I feel about this show. Glad I'm not the only one.

by Anonymousreply 139January 9, 2021 1:24 AM

There are some who absolutely love this show. I know someone on FB who think this show is God’s greatest gift to TV and do applause emojis for every damn episode. I’m scratching my head and thinking WHY?

by Anonymousreply 140January 9, 2021 1:30 AM

I really did love the first half of the season. I thought it had so much promise.

That promise was never lived up to.

by Anonymousreply 141January 9, 2021 1:42 AM

I like Discovery, I don't love it, but I appreciate for what it is. To me it kind of feels like what Voyager would have been if it had a much larger budget. I do think the writer's just need to stop worrying about the fans and write the show they want to write. I think a lot of the show's problems rest with caving into the a vocal minority of fans who will shit on it regardless of what they do. The Star Trek fandom as become toxic just virtually everything else in our lives these days.

R141 I agree the first half was much better. The second half just lost its way although I enjoyed the finale even though it was fairly predictable take back the ship story that we've seen a dozen times before. Though I have to say, how the fuck is discovery that big inside given how flat the ship design is.

by Anonymousreply 142January 9, 2021 2:44 AM

So the turbolifts aren’t ‘lifts’ at all. They are pretty much the same as the mining trolleys in Gringotts Bank according to the final episode.

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 143January 9, 2021 2:57 AM

The whole turbolift thing was ridiculous. Unless, it's built in subspace or something.

by Anonymousreply 144January 9, 2021 6:02 AM

Discovery must be a TARDIS. Larger on the inside.

by Anonymousreply 145January 9, 2021 6:07 AM

I am not even sure the season started well. The season opener wasn't that great either. This whole show has become so tedious. The pacing is off, characters don't get the opportunity to shine, plots don't make sense... what's to love?

by Anonymousreply 146January 9, 2021 1:39 PM

Is Discovery a flawed show? Hell yes. It reminds me a lot of Voyager in that it regularly displayed good concepts and interesting stories that often lagged in execution. What I don't get is people who clearly hate the show but keep watching it. That just seems like a waste of time frankly. You must have very little joy in your life. Seriously, go spend your time doing something more productive or do something that makes you feel good, particularly in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 147January 9, 2021 4:04 PM

I love Star Trek, I watch Discovery in the hope it will live up to the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 148January 9, 2021 6:27 PM

I think the first half of the season was much more solid and then about half way through it seems to have lost focus and then had to rush the ending. Now, I did like the movement towards more character development over constant action. Burnham has been re-worked to be more of a Kirk character and I like that much better. I know part of the fandom is at odds with making her captain and I get it to a degree. For me I always knew that's where the character was headed but I think the problem is we are so used to her not being the captain it's going to be an adjustment seeing her in the role.

by Anonymousreply 149January 9, 2021 11:19 PM

R145 an episode of Enterprise apparently does confirm that by the 29th century, the Federation does possess tardis technology.

One thing I was blown away with this season was the score. Apparently due to covid every musician had to record their part at home and then Jeff Russo pieced it together part by part.

by Anonymousreply 150January 10, 2021 6:37 PM

Someone earlier in the thread claimed that the budget was cut for Season 3 and, yes it was and wasn't. Both Seasons 1 and 2 went over budget due to production overruns. Season 1 filming took much longer to film than originally expected due to the complexity of set construction and FX shots, and turnover in the writers room. Season 2's production also ran over by almost two months. While the fifth episode of the season was filming, the head writers of the show were fired and production was halted for six weeks while the season was reworked slightly.

When it came to season 3, CBS became more strict about the budget and production time (six months plus 1 months for re-shoots). This was one reason why Discovery took on a slower pace this season to better be able to meet production requirements.

by Anonymousreply 151January 10, 2021 7:05 PM

That's at least 9 days per episode. Does that include pre- and post-production? Otherwise 9 days sounds like a lot.

by Anonymousreply 152January 10, 2021 9:42 PM

I enjoy the show, but I think Season 3 was the worst of the seasons. I am really over Anthony Rapp as he isn't a great actor and the editor was really heavy handed by cutting to his "upset face" at the end of the finale too many times. We get it. He's pissed at Michael. I like Tilly and the rest but the acting was just off this year. I'm sure it's the stress of the year coming through. I really hated the whole "they/them" bullshit that they forced into the storyline although the actress who plays Adira is very likeable and actually a good addition to the cast. The weird twinky dude? who plays Grey though is just annoying. Still, we got to see Tilly showing herself as a bit of a bad ass and I think Book is a great addition to the cast. I felt the same about Voyager but it turned out to be one of my favorite Star Trek series in the end, so I will stick to this one for a bit longer.

by Anonymousreply 153January 10, 2021 10:42 PM

Twinky dude ? It's an FTM. Did you not notice the blue hair ? The pairing of the old gays and the queer kids was an awful idea, it doesn't look natural. They talk with Adira twice and they all fancy themselves as a big and happy queer family ? Don't feel the love here, maybe because Rapp can't emote and Cruz is no better.

They did a much better job with Saru and the unbearable man child. And they only had two episodes together !

by Anonymousreply 154January 10, 2021 11:08 PM

So I guess we’ll have Burnham go on every damn away mission next season because, well, Burnham. One of my favorite episodes of the season was the second one that focused on everyone but Burnham who didn’t show up until the very last scene.

by Anonymousreply 155January 10, 2021 11:20 PM

Book was an unnecessary add-on in my - book. He didn't add much that the Klingon-to-Human former boyfriend didn't bring already. Unlike Ash/Voq, Book was terribly underdeveloped (like all the other characters too actually). I don't even think Book and Michael had good chemistry. Their friendship started somewhere between episode 1 and 2 of this season. Why and how they became lovers? I have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 156January 10, 2021 11:27 PM

R156, they spent a year together and I guess they became lovers during the episode when they kissed.

But yes, all the characters except Burnham and Saru and maybe Tilly are underdeveloped. I couldn't even tell you the names of the crew member who were making the run with Tilly at the end.

by Anonymousreply 157January 10, 2021 11:52 PM

The third season started with Lt. Detmer having some issues after Discovery crashed upon entering the future because of possible issues with her cybernetic face implants. I was intrigued but they totally dropped that storyline.

We got to see a little more of Lt. Owasekun and it was enough to establish she’s a bad ass. I want to see more of her.

I definitely want to know more about those absolute hotties Lt. Bryce (African-American) and Lt. Rhys (Asian-American). Their characters are obviously great friends and I do appreciate great platonic ST friendships.

by Anonymousreply 158January 11, 2021 12:22 AM

The whole 1000 years into the future was as bust as well. Even a portion of a millennium of technological advancement would have yielded much more than ordinary humans with site-to-site beaming. They could have jumped 200 years and it would have been more believable.

by Anonymousreply 159January 11, 2021 1:22 AM

The overall fan favorite moment of the finale seems to be when we saw Aditya Sahil, who had never abandoned his post behind the desk on an abandoned Federation relay station in the hopes that one day the Federation would return, near the end of the episode wearing his Star Fleet uniform after being made Lieutenant. In almost every discussion board I've read, people have said THIS was the moment where they literally cheered.

by Anonymousreply 160January 11, 2021 2:22 AM

r160, I agree!

by Anonymousreply 161January 11, 2021 2:27 AM

R152 My understanding is that Discovery (and Picard) take about 10 to 12 filming days for a single episode. TNG, VOY, DS9, & ENT were 8 days for filming per episode but television production has taken on more of a cinematic approach with less pages of the script being shot every day. Picard was only 10 episodes but had a 5.5 month shoot. Discovery had a 13 episode seasons and shot for almost 7 months.

by Anonymousreply 162January 11, 2021 4:04 AM

[quote]The overall fan favorite moment of the finale seems to be when we saw Aditya Sahil, who had never abandoned his post behind the desk on an abandoned Federation relay station in the hopes that one day the Federation would return, near the end of the episode wearing his Star Fleet uniform after being made Lieutenant. In almost every discussion board I've read, people have said THIS was the moment where they literally cheered.

It was probably the best moment in the finale...And, it wasn't nearly as big a moment as it should have been - which demonstrates that the writers don't actually understand what they're doing.

Yet, the way they emphasize Burnham's "I don't believe in a no-win scenario" was clearly thought that it would hit BIG with fans as a callback to Kobyashi Maru and Kirk.

by Anonymousreply 163January 11, 2021 2:22 PM

R162 I know for Picard the shooting schedule is longer because Marina Sirtis talked about it in an interview after her appearance on the show. She said they had a lot more time and money than on TNG.

by Anonymousreply 164January 12, 2021 4:55 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165January 13, 2021 4:35 AM

Wow, the admiral is really doing every Federation business all by himself - all from his white little office. The Federation IS tiny.

by Anonymousreply 166January 13, 2021 12:03 PM

Random: Mary Wiseman has come out as queer. She states that before she met her husband Noah she had dated women and men. So, to date that means out of the main cast (the one's listed in the opening credits) on SMG and Doug Jones identify as straight. In terms of the secondary characters, Tig Notaro and Emily Coutts who are both in relationships with women in real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167January 14, 2021 6:21 PM

I suspect her husband has either gone up inside another man or had another man go up inside him as well.

by Anonymousreply 168January 15, 2021 12:44 AM

R168 Yeah I've got that vibe from him too. I also wonder about Doug Jones actually. I know he's been married to a woman for almost 40 years, but he pings for me as well.

by Anonymousreply 169January 15, 2021 1:04 AM

So the consensus here seems to be that the writing ... could improve. Maybe Alex Kurtzman can be convinced to shovel boatloads of money toward Ron Moore or Ira Steven Behr. Everything would be forgiven.

by Anonymousreply 170January 20, 2021 3:22 AM

Ron Moore gave us the stinker final season of BSG with the utterly disappointing resolution to several key plot points...just like Fringe, Alias, and Lost.

by Anonymousreply 171January 20, 2021 3:27 AM

I would love to see Ron More and Ira Steven Behr come back to the ST universe. DS9 was the best ST show. Deal with it! If they took on Discovery, one thing we do know. Burnham would still be the star/central character but all the other supporting players would be better written and get their days in the sun. Burnham WOULD NOT be the saving every damn day.

by Anonymousreply 172January 20, 2021 3:43 AM

[quote]Wow, the admiral is really doing every Federation business all by himself - all from his white little office. The Federation IS tiny.

He probably even has to do his own photocopying!

by Anonymousreply 173February 22, 2021 4:34 PM

I just got finished binging Season 3, and I'm quite happy with it. I wept openly at the gateway of the Guardian of Forever. I was a bit annoyed at the narcissism of Su'Kal, but I got over it.

I'm a bit surprised that, given the far right troll presence here at the DL, there hasn't been just gallons of anti-trans venom spilt over Adira and Gray, and their pronouns (it doesn't bother me in the slightest, and since Adira is a Trill housing the memories of a number of past Tal hosts, they really are a 'they'). I see the anti-Burnham sentiment is just as pervasive and just as tiresome, though unsurprising, coming as it does from white supremacist trolls triggered by a strong black female protagonist. Oh well - Klanners gonna Klan, 4channers gonna chan.

I can't wait for Season Four, and I'm also highly anticipating the other Trek series.

I have some expectations of 'Strange New Worlds' - I'd like to see them somehow work Captain Garth and the Battle of Axanar into the storyline. I'd like a glimpse of Commodore Matt Decker and the USS Constellation in the years before he lost his ship and his crew. And they need to cast Dr Philip Boyce, preferably someone who looks and sounds as much like John Hoyt as they can manage.

One of the things that has bothered me - a small quibble, worthy of the kind of 'Trek' nerd that I am - is the absence in 'Discovery' of the older, twist-barrelled laser pistols Star Fleet was packing in 'The Cage,' 'Where No Man Has Gone Before,' 'The Man Trap,' and 'What Are Little Girls Made Of?' As a kid, I thought those were the coolest ever - especially satisfying was the clicking sounds they made when the barrel was twisted to increase/decrease the strength of the beam. I missed them in the series 'Enterprise' as well.

by Anonymousreply 174March 21, 2021 8:01 AM

^^ bingeing, not binging

by Anonymousreply 175March 21, 2021 8:03 AM

R174 😘

by Anonymousreply 176March 21, 2021 8:04 AM

I thought Grey was sexy in that Vulcan set up

by Anonymousreply 177March 21, 2021 10:56 AM

[quote]I see the anti-Burnham sentiment is just as pervasive and just as tiresome, though unsurprising, coming as it does from white supremacist trolls triggered by a strong black female protagonist

Exhausting.

People dislike Burnham because she's a poorly written character whose motivations swing all over the map, not because she's a "strong black woman." She goes from essentially committing mutiny (again) to save Booker to almost leaving the ship to becoming captain. That's not character arc - that's melodrama.

by Anonymousreply 178March 21, 2021 3:16 PM

Adira & Gray are too boring as characters to be trolled upon.

by Anonymousreply 179March 21, 2021 10:00 PM

[quote]People dislike Burnham because she's a poorly written character whose motivations swing all over the map, not because she's a "strong black woman." She goes from essentially committing mutiny (again) to save Booker to almost leaving the ship to becoming captain. That's not character arc - that's melodrama.

So that's how you're covering for the racism/misogyny, huh, R178? White supremacy 101: pretend the objection is about something else.

It would have been better if you'd said, "𝐼 dislike Burnham because…", instead of that Trump-style "people" crap. You don't speak for "people," and pretending that you do is troll rhetoric. (No, socks or other trolls in the paid cohort who are strafing the same thread do not count as "people.")

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180March 22, 2021 1:26 AM

[quote]It would have been better if you'd said, "𝐼 dislike Burnham because…", instead of that Trump-style "people" crap.

Neither do you.

All you have to do is read Star Trek discussion boards to see the general criticisms.

But, of course, you'd never do that as it disagrees with your silly narrative.

Don't forget - people hated Rey in Star Wars because...misogyny, and not because she's a Mary Sue.

by Anonymousreply 181March 22, 2021 2:37 AM

I think Sonequa Martin-Green acts the hell out of the role, but there's only so much she can do. Burnham is a poorly conceived and badly written character.

by Anonymousreply 182March 22, 2021 3:23 AM

R182 Martin-Green really is excellent. I would love to see her in a dramatic pic.

by Anonymousreply 183March 22, 2021 3:57 AM

[quote]I think Sonequa Martin-Green acts the hell out of the role, but there's only so much she can do. Burnham is a poorly conceived and badly written character.

I completely agree with this. She truly makes a silk purse out of it. She is by far the best actor in the show, except Georgiou/Yeoh. (Which again argues against the "misogyny" hate argument since Empress Georgiou is consistently noted as a fan favorite along with Anson Mount's Pike).

For me, that is the saddest portion of Burnham. We could have gotten one of the best badass characters in Trek with her acting the part, but got this mess of a character.

by Anonymousreply 184March 22, 2021 3:34 PM

"I think Sonequa Martin-Green acts the hell out of the role, but there's only so much she can do. Burnham is a poorly conceived and badly written character."

^^^THANK YOU!!!! Its not racism or sexism... her character just sucks.

In fact that's the problem that I have with Discovery. Everything seems poorly conceived and/or written. This is not the fault of the actors. Its the fault of the writers room and the ridiculous amount of producers on this show.

by Anonymousreply 185March 24, 2021 10:48 PM

Season 4 teaser.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186April 6, 2021 1:29 AM

R186...interesting. The new uniforms look better than they did in season 3, but I'm still not sold on them.

by Anonymousreply 187April 6, 2021 1:36 AM

I think the colors add a lot. I guess they're back to the TNG scheme, since Burnham's in red.

I'm guessing the woman who appears in a few shots is the Federation President. She looks to be half-human/half-Cardassian.

by Anonymousreply 188April 6, 2021 1:40 AM

Vance's voice is heard in the trailer, but he is not scene.

by Anonymousreply 189April 6, 2021 1:45 AM

Looks like Saru is back, thankfully.

by Anonymousreply 190April 6, 2021 3:43 AM

They also dropped a Picard S2 trailer - Q!

And, they dropped a Lower Decks one.

Levar Burton also did an interview where he admits he's in Picard S2.

I don't know how I feel about using Q. On the one hand, a very popular character. But, his omnipotence makes the character a silly tool for hack writers who have no imagination. Now, if they do something as fantastic as Tapestry (6x15), that's a whole separate matter.

by Anonymousreply 191April 6, 2021 2:26 PM

How are they going to explain Q aging 30 years since his last appearance?

by Anonymousreply 192April 6, 2021 2:30 PM

Bleh. I always hated Q.

by Anonymousreply 193April 6, 2021 2:30 PM

[quote]How are they going to explain Q aging 30 years since his last appearance?

Q has modified his appearance multiple times over the course of his appearances - including making himself old to mock Picard. The classic Q outfit is also fairly forgiving.

At this stage, it feels a bit more like pandering for hype from people who had no idea what to do for a second season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194April 6, 2021 6:45 PM

R191 I don't think LeVar Burton confirmed he was in season 2, but that the producers had reached out to him about an appearance. Although Jonathan Frakes did post that picture of himself with John DeLance, and LeVar which makes me think all three will appear (also Brent Spiner is confirmed to return).

Gates McFadden also hinted last summer that producers had been in touch with her. But while I don't think it's been confirmed by CBS but several reports have suggested that there is going to be a third season of picard and that it will go into production very quickly after season 2 wraps because Stewarts contract with CBS ends in 2022.

by Anonymousreply 195April 6, 2021 9:55 PM

R194 DeLance confirms in the panel that his real-life aging will be addressed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196April 6, 2021 10:07 PM

Overall, I enjoyed the first season of Picard.

However, that season veered into nostalgia pandering. Coupled with the multitudes of cameos it seems they're going to do, I think that 3 seasons will be plenty. I rather that I be left wanting more (as I was with TNG itself), than have it inevitably slide into crap.

They need to take some lessons from Favreau and Filoni on how to do cameos the right way (Ahsoka and Luke).

by Anonymousreply 197April 6, 2021 10:38 PM

Based on the panel we can infur the following about season 2:

A something major traumatic happens to Picard (or the whole galaxy). SOmething Picard feels he could have prevented...somehow connected to his past.

Q gives Picard the opportunity to change this (a second chance).

Picard will revisit earlier adventures (but ones we haven't seen or perhaps even heard of).

by Anonymousreply 198April 6, 2021 11:15 PM

Not for nothing, but his model of the Stargazer does feature rather prominently.

by Anonymousreply 199April 6, 2021 11:20 PM

R199 In the panel posted above, Patrick Stewart hinted we're going to see different parts of Picard past we've never seen before.

by Anonymousreply 200April 6, 2021 11:55 PM

What are the release dates for Discovery and Picard?

by Anonymousreply 201April 7, 2021 12:50 AM

R201 Discovery the trailer said 2021. Lower Decks season is confirmed August 13. So I'm guessing Discovery will be Nov/Dec and Picard likely in the new years after discovery season 4.

by Anonymousreply 202April 7, 2021 1:01 AM

Disco is likely to be late this year, as they have to get through at least the next season of Lower Decks (dunno if they'd include Prodigy in their timeline, since that's aimed at kids) and that comes back in August.

Picard is announced for some time in 2022, and I'm sure SNW will be shortly after.

by Anonymousreply 203April 7, 2021 1:02 AM

[quote]In the panel posted above, Patrick Stewart hinted we're going to see different parts of Picard past we've never seen before.

This could go very well if it's Tapestry meets All Good Things. But, I question how they'd incorporate the new cast.

And I am loving the idea of revisiting Wolf 359 from Picard's perspective with a bit of Alice Krige and Jeri Ryan mixed into it.

by Anonymousreply 204April 7, 2021 1:03 AM

There is some behind the scenes footage in this clip. There is an Admiral in Picard's study wearing the post-First contact but pre-season 1 Starfleet Uniform & an other shot of Picard getting a combadge out of someone's hand which the shot being lit kind of like the DS9 prophet effect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205April 7, 2021 1:11 AM

Oh, forgot to mention, the single most intriguing part of the entire Picard trailer is the stone archeological artifact at the beginning that they pan by right after the clock.

It's the Bajoran Reckoning Tablet from DS9 that Sisko smashes that releases the Pah-wraith.

Wouldn't a Prophets vs. Q confrontation be interesting? Not to mention - return of Sisko? THAT would be the cameo of ALL cameos.

by Anonymousreply 206April 7, 2021 1:14 AM

Oh oh - not to mention that fought at Wolf 359 where his wife died.

If you're going back through Picard's moments, destroying Starfleet has to be one of his biggest ones.

by Anonymousreply 207April 7, 2021 1:15 AM

Q may be non-aging, but John de Lancie doesn't look too bad for 73-years old in that clip (bear in mind Patrick Stewart is 80). Will be interesting to see how Q is portrayed since over the years he's gone from enemy to friendlier adversary to comic relief.

by Anonymousreply 208April 7, 2021 2:19 AM

As of yesterday CBS confirmed that in addition to the regular cast (and Jeri Ryan who will reoccur this season) Brent Spiner and Orla Brady (Laris) will also be appearing. There was no word about Whoopi Goldberg which makes me think that due to COVID she might not reprise Guinan. I do think other TNG regulars (like LeVar Burton) will appear but they are not going to tell us yet. We'll see at least one of them in the first trailer like they did last year's when we saw 7 of 9 and Data for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 209April 7, 2021 2:48 AM

Wish there was some way they could bring back Hugh. His story line was just so brutal and short.

by Anonymousreply 210April 7, 2021 8:05 PM

Jonathan Del Arco posted a pic on IG that might hint at him making an appearance.

by Anonymousreply 211April 7, 2021 8:09 PM

[quote]Jonathan Del Arco posted a pic on IG that might hint at him making an appearance.

With time travel and Q involved, ANYTHING is possible, especially situations involving pivotal decisions that Picard made - like deciding NOT to unleash the virus using Hugh and the subsequent billions the Borg have conquered and assimilated since that decision.

by Anonymousreply 212April 7, 2021 8:12 PM

[quote]I'm guessing the woman who appears in a few shots is the Federation President. She looks to be half-human/half-Cardassian.

No, I looked at her nose. The other half isn't human, it's Bajoran.

My DS9-loving heart did a backflip.

by Anonymousreply 213April 11, 2021 12:01 AM

Hugh is still part-Borg, so I'm not convinced he is 100% dead. Then again, we never saw the body of the bitch that allegedly killed him, so maybe she'll be back, too.

by Anonymousreply 214April 11, 2021 8:46 PM

[quote]I really hated the whole "they/them" bullshit that they forced into the storyline although the actress who plays Adira is very likeable and actually a good addition to the cast. The weird twinky dude? who plays Grey though is just annoying.

So, really, 1000+ years into the future we're still going to stop the world to have a they/them convo? It's like they took an eye-rolling conversation right out of today and stuck it, verbatim, into this far future time. It makes no sense at all. And now, purportedly, season 4 of Discovery will feature Gray much more and focus on "being seen". It might have helped if Gray didn't so obviously look and sound like a 15 year old girl but it wouldn't have helped much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215September 7, 2021 8:23 AM

R215 How about making Gray a character that people actually want to see, rather than a character that must “be seen”?

by Anonymousreply 216September 7, 2021 9:01 AM

They're doing a virtual convention for the 55th anniversary.

They officially announced that three of the characters on Strange New Worlds are Uhura, Nurse Chapel, and Dr. M'Benga.

by Anonymousreply 217September 9, 2021 1:57 AM

R217 Ethan Peck's wig as Spock looks like an animal died on his head.

by Anonymousreply 218September 9, 2021 2:31 AM

Can I say my excitement for SNW just tanked after seeing the new footage......

by Anonymousreply 219September 9, 2021 2:38 AM

HOLY SHIT that Picard trailer looked amazing!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 220September 9, 2021 3:30 AM

[quote]HOLY SHIT that Picard trailer looked amazing!!!!!

Yeah, it looked awesome.

by Anonymousreply 221September 9, 2021 9:24 AM

With Prodigy dropping on 10/28 and Disco on 11/22, this'll be the first time in over 20 years two ST shows have aired simultaneously.

by Anonymousreply 222September 9, 2021 10:32 AM

The actor playing SNW's Aenar crewman is also blind. For playing a blind species, that's really cool.

by Anonymousreply 223September 9, 2021 1:48 PM

R219 Yeah, I'm a bit worried about SNW now. The new uniforms looks horrible, I don't know why they didn't stick with ones the designed for Disco they looked so good on the Enterprise actors. Also the hints that Spock will have more emotions and a romantic relationship with one of the crew (unless it's with Pike or Kirk, I don't want that).

by Anonymousreply 224September 9, 2021 3:41 PM

What do Trekkies hate more than anything? Star Trek.

[quote]Also the hints that Spock will have more emotions

This is the same Spock who got a shit-eating grin when he encountered the damned singing plants on Talos IV.

by Anonymousreply 225September 9, 2021 4:20 PM

R225 Yes Spock had emotion in The Cage we know, but it was effectively retconned by the time TOS went into production. And TOS established early in the first season that Spock had never had a romantic relationship before......I"m still keeping an open mind

by Anonymousreply 226September 9, 2021 4:58 PM

[quote]Yes Spock had emotion in The Cage we know, but it was effectively retconned by the time TOS went into production

You don't get it both ways. If The Cage is canon, which is is, as we know what's to become of Pike, then so is the rest of it.

by Anonymousreply 227September 9, 2021 6:04 PM

Disco, Season 4.

Let's fly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228October 10, 2021 1:03 AM

Oddly enough, after watching the latest trailer at R228, I'm more interested in what happens to all of the characters EXCEPT Burnham. Happy to see Tig Notaro back as Reno.

by Anonymousreply 229October 10, 2021 2:04 PM

I'm glad they decided not to keep the ugly all-gray uniforms. I'm not completely sold on redoing them in the TNG colors, but they look much better.

The thing on the collar, which has the rank pips, I dunno about.

Also, why is Detmer, presumably Command division, wearing Gold?

by Anonymousreply 230October 10, 2021 4:04 PM

New 'Star Trek: Discovery' trailer for season 4 still sounds like every other season

It seems we've gone from monster-of-the-week to anomaly-of-the-season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231October 14, 2021 11:27 PM

It appears they've renewed Strange New Worlds for a second season.

by Anonymousreply 232October 28, 2021 11:28 PM

I'm happy to maintain that ST:D is just a bad AU, like Kelvin and ST:P.

by Anonymousreply 233October 29, 2021 12:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!