Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Smashing

Do people in Britain still use 'smashing' to mean 'great'? If so, I bet it gets a lot of snickers from younger people, since now it means 'fucking'.

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2020 4:28 AM

Well, I suppose that's no different than Australians laughing everytime Americans talk about "rooting".

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2020 7:58 PM

...and sick means cool ....

so edgy this generation

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2020 7:58 PM

Brilliant

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2020 8:03 PM

FREE WILLY!

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2020 8:06 PM

My Irish grandparents swore like sailors except for “fuck.” They wouldn’t say it. They said “bloody” instead. Don’t hear people saying “bloody” much anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2020 8:21 PM

And I was just getting used to “bonking”...

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2020 8:28 PM

"Smashing" is just so Cilla Black, Rula Lenska, or Shirley Bassey being interviewed by Parkinson.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2020 8:51 PM

It was never that common and has largely died out.

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2020 2:11 AM

One usage is dated and the other usage is retarded.

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2020 3:55 AM

R5 You mean to tell me they didn’t say “feck” instead of fuck? Bloody is still fairly common in the U.K. Usually “bloody hell” when someone hears something strange or shocking. Smashing is still fairly common in Ireland these days. I hear it from my relatives about food. “How was that?”, “Absolutely smashing”

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2020 4:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!