Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

JFK ASSASINATION HARDLY MENTIONED ANYMORE

Twas this day many yrs ago he was murdered by those who deemed him a huge threat....how quickly the media forgets.

by Anonymousreply 82November 25, 2020 6:20 PM

Don't forget RFK and MLK.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2020 4:42 PM

OP, how many on here were even alive when JFK was shot? It's history now, like the Revolution or the Civil War.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2020 4:43 PM

OP, you're right. The day goes by practically unmentioned. I expect we will get to that point with 9/11 too. I recall that my parents and grandparents always commemorated the day WWII ended.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2020 4:44 PM

1. Learn how to use spell-check.

2. Learn how to use a calendar.

3. Learn how to do a search before posting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2020 4:45 PM

i was in hi school, at lunch, suddenly a lady started crying, then we got the news. we went to class, and ev body cried, first though of many of us: LBJ finally got wht he wanted. he ws so kool, loved him and jackie

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2020 4:48 PM

why bring up 60 year old drama? holding on to the past is toxic

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2020 4:50 PM

It gained a lot of attention on its 50th anniversary. But the 57th isn't a milestone anniversary, it competed this year with major, pressing crises, &, yes, those alive to remember 11/22/63 are dwindling.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2020 4:51 PM

You’re right. More people talk about the death of Marilyn Monroe.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2020 4:54 PM

I was once knee deep in the conspiracy stuff .... So much to prove it was a hit from those who feared him, hard to deny these days ...Hope im alive when they release the rest of the files. Glad to see Lawrence O'Donnell mentioned it on twitter, ...

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2020 4:54 PM

Holding onto the past is toxic? You feel the same way bout the world wars? the holocaust? HIstory is what makes us human...and have a good grasp of how we in the mess we in...

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2020 4:56 PM

Well. Talking about it anually for damn near 60 years got old.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2020 5:09 PM

To honor a great man once a year. not too much. Especially since he was struck down in the prime of life and was the most admired man in the world.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2020 5:14 PM

There was a very big observance of this date in 2013, which was the 50th anniversary.

I think fewer and fewer people remember, of course. The ones that remember now were mostly children at the time it happened. I was born well after that day but was captivated a few years back when one of the cable channels played CBS's nonstop coverage for four days.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2020 5:16 PM

R10, Because of people like R6, history is condemned to repeat itself. Holding onto the past and remembering it are two vastly different things.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2020 5:33 PM

I find myself still going down the YouTube rabbit hole of watching & listening to the TV & radio coverage of those days.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2020 5:46 PM

Me too, so much evidence showing the scorned govt people, LBJ, corporate fuks, the mob etc who wanted him dead...and so many witness saw the puff of smoke at grassy knoll, thats where they all ran to catch the shooter.....fascinating evidence 4 sure. His death they say began the takeover of the govt by big $/big biz and showing the world leaders could be killed if they did not keep in step.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2020 5:53 PM

There was a time when there were specials on TV about the assassinations of JFK, Dr. King and RFK. Those of us who remember when it happened are in our 60's now. Programming is dominated by younger execs. They could give a shit about anything that happened over 50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2020 5:54 PM

Well, I guess it's appropriate to post this again now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2020 5:56 PM

Plus they dont want us to remember the true heroes who were not controlled by the media, big money, and foreign influence. Drump is like the exact opposite of wht Kennedy stood for. He is like the endgame of what they hoped for in killing Kennedy: low taxes on rich, no benefits for middle/low class (no health care), no environmental controls, just big corporations runnin hog wild....'Oh lets give them some of the woke stuff....nd keep em satisfied'

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2020 5:57 PM

It's just the passage of time, sadly.

I'm 70 and can well-remember the nation-wide reverence for Pearl Harbor Day, December 7, as a child of the 50s before the JFK assassination. That day is never mentioned much any more.

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2020 5:57 PM

It’s almost as if most people who lived through it are dead now.

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2020 6:00 PM

Yes, listen to the estimable R10, OP.

But, for your own success in reading the menus behind you at Rally's, try to learn to spell common words.

You are asasanayting your voyse.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2020 6:03 PM

I listened to Last Podcast on the Left and they had a great 4-5 hour deep dive on Lee Harvey Oswald and all the conspiracies. Their final conclusion as to who shot JFK was shocking but makes sense. Anyone want to know?

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2020 6:03 PM

R23 Yes

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2020 6:04 PM

R23 was it Vivian Vance?

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2020 6:05 PM

Spill it R23.

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2020 6:07 PM

It was actually 57 years ago yesterday, November 22.

Quite a bit of attention was paid to the 50th anniversary in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2020 6:10 PM

If it’s not LHO, R23, I’m not interested. As Vincent Bugliosi pointed out in his definitive book on the assassination, only in an upside down world can you have 53 pieces of evidence pointing to your guilt (in this case, LHO) & not be guilty.

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2020 6:10 PM

R10 Sounds really dumb! History is very important in America. We must never forget slavery or jim crow, or the civil rights movement, or the assassination of several US presidents. That's our his, that his we learn and hopefully move forward in a better direction.

But we really have to cut the evil out in the this country. The evil right that is.

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2020 6:10 PM

The assassination is such ancient history that I’m sure there are those who think JFK assassinated President Oswald.

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2020 6:18 PM

R18 Thanks a lot for the BSO clip. I'd never heard it before, although I'd read about the switch to playing the funeral march.

It sounds like a lot of people just got up and left after the announcement was made. Seems unlike what BSO patrons would have been like but maybe the announcement was just too extraordinary to give priority to observing protocol.

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2020 6:24 PM

You're welcome, R31. It's interesting to listen to a live announcement before an audience when the assassination happened. I think all the commotion you hear after the funeral march being mentioned is the entire audience standing during the playing of the piece.

- R18

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2020 6:28 PM

R30 Only if they're even more ignorant than you are.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2020 6:29 PM

R32 I hadn't thought of that.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2020 6:31 PM

It is awesome to fall down the well, so much convincing vids on you tube that show all the salient evidence as to what occurred... its like the Greatest Mystery in the World with the facts right there before us. there use to b conventions that discussed all this. my internist is a big jfk conspiracy guy, he speaks at them sometimes....god dam lbj and da mob...

hey grammar grannys, to to some site tht gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2020 6:34 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2020 6:40 PM

But, R28, it really helps if someone killed you almost immediately after the murder so you could never defend yourself against the 53 pieces of evidence.

Oswald's murder is the #1 indicator he was a patsy. Nobody with ties to the mob was going to get so upset about JFK's murder that he had to become the Unmasked Avenger. That was a rookie mistake.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2020 6:54 PM

Its the Great American Tragedy.....jackie in her blood stained pink suit, parts of the autopsy mysteriously disappearing, witnesses dying, rfk saying 'he knew that bastard LBJ was behind it," the corrupt Dallas Police force and their patsys oswald/jack ruby....messy, messy. and the dorothy killgallen murder as she was about to 'expose who killed jfk 'after her many interviews with jack ruby, she died the day before she was to have a press conference.......dont mess with j edgar hoover and his ilk.

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2020 6:55 PM

[quote] But, [R28], it really helps if someone killed you almost immediately after the murder so you could never defend yourself against the 53 pieces of evidence.

Oswald's murder is the #1 indicator he was a patsy. Nobody with ties to the mob was going to get so upset about JFK's murder that he had to become the Unmasked Avenger. That was a rookie mistake.

If Oswald's death was a mob hit, no way he was going to be allowed to live another 48 hours to talk. He wouldn't have escaped the TSBDB alive.

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2020 7:28 PM

Well, it's not a hot topic for sure, but it's not like it was forgotten, hey even Stephen King wrote a very successful novel about it a not so long ago

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2020 7:31 PM

Im surprised ruby wasnt taken out before kilgallen got to interview him and crack the case....course it sealed her death.

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2020 7:37 PM

Yes, Ruby was another one, who, oddly, was allowed to live. Over 3 years in his case.

by Anonymousreply 42November 23, 2020 7:43 PM

Neither is the McKinley assassination.

by Anonymousreply 43November 23, 2020 7:44 PM

huh???

by Anonymousreply 44November 23, 2020 7:47 PM

I remember thinking at the time that the 50th anniversary would be the last big one. By the sixtieth, it'll simply be too far in the past.

by Anonymousreply 45November 23, 2020 7:53 PM

The JFK assassination is the one "conspiracy theory" that I believe might actually have a conspiracy behind it. I don't doubt that LHO pulled the trigger but there is just something off about his being a "lone gunman" that doesn't make sense. He was a bit of a loser, really, not able to commit to anything. Angry, yes, but didn't strike me as particularly embittered. One of the most bizarre aspects is Jack Ruby -- why would the owner of a Dallas strip club be so enraged at the killing that he would then murder the assassin?

I know that a hallmark of conspiracy theories is to ask questions relentlessly, and that not having answers proves nothing, but so little of it makes sense. Maybe because as an eldergay I remember the death of JFK and can see that this country was about to go into its downward spiral that everything would just be so shitty for the next 50 or 60 years.

by Anonymousreply 46November 23, 2020 7:55 PM

It wont be forgotten, JFK and the missus were too charming and bigger than life. . and he was super beloved, people today have no one comparable, Diana was similar in beloved status,,,,and he did alot of good, wanted to 'break the cia into a thousand pieces', tho that prob was one of the reasons he was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 47November 23, 2020 7:58 PM

I recall the Kennedys once issued a statement, this was possibly in the 1990s, asking the public to commentate JFK’s birth, not his death, which is how we remember Washington, Lincoln, and most people. Plus, it probably hurts less, to the family.

by Anonymousreply 48November 23, 2020 8:01 PM

The podcast noted that a Secret Service agent accidentally fired the kill shot.

Um. No.

And everything else was open-ended and if if if.

Of COURSE it was a conspiracy, and Oswald was the fall-guy (patsy, as he said) while other shooters were in place.

My partner worked for the Dallas Police Chief and knew Texas politicians in office at the time. It was an open secret that you just didn't talk about with more than one other person present. The ex-CIA & mob people set it up, the Dallas police covered up things at the immediate scene, and the FBI passively misdirected and covered up after that. Congress didn't want to get too deep into it. Oswald was indeed set up and did shoot, but he wasn't the only one, and Ruby, a mob man, got trapped into taking Oswald out "or else" for him and his family members.

How did it all succeed? Brutal and quick response at any weak links or talkers, lack of will to go down the rabbit hole, and the fact that the man who benefited most, LBJ, was president and assured everyone he would play, which he did. There are indications he knew before the fact, but he certainly knew after the fact. Plus the government PR machine, working with the news media, saw to it that any veering from the official story tended to be ridiculed and treated as fringe crazies. Some of the vocal opponents were intentionally placed or given a spotlight because they WERE crazies.

Part of the coverup on the FBI side was to tamp down the initial setup of Oswald as a Cuban/Soviet/Communist plant, which was part of the reason he was set up, because no one wanted a misfire that would take us into action with the Russians. Remember that to the ex-CIA people and the Cubans they worked with it was payback for the Bay of Pigs mess. So in that sense the CIA tools failed, but at the expense of the truth.

For the mob it was to get back at RFK even more the JFK because of their double-dealing by going against the mob after the family was such a partner. Eventually, when Robert started to look like a winner in 1968, they finished the job.

People may have awakened to the fact that the US is just another power with an oligarchy and an obligingly stupid electorate, but in the 1960s the propaganda machine was still "we are special and true" and "we're better than all the others" in how we conducted our government power struggles. The conspiracy and the coverup were two different things with only some overlap in the player, with much of the latter being cobbled together after the event.

Trump and today's GOP have shown how thin the veneer is on our "constitutional" and "orderly" system, and what goats and sheep the citizenry are.

by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2020 8:04 PM

Mom gathered us all up to go to church, though I was too young to remember.

It was said, every Irish Catholic home, in particular, had a picture of Pope John XXIII, and JFK, prominently displayed some where, at that time.

by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2020 8:09 PM

that weekend is seared into my brain, jfk's murder,,,,,oswalds murder.....the funeral....felt like the world was changed forever....maybe it was..

by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2020 8:18 PM

It was Joe Dimaggio who shot him as a payback for killing Marilyn Monroe. I read it in the Enquirer!!

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2020 8:25 PM

If only Dorothy Kilgallen had lived, we'd have the answer.

I've always been obsessed with her from my childhood viewings of What's My Line? Though I can't bear Ryan Murphy I guess he is the only person likely at this point in time to create a miniseries about the post-assassination months. Just think of who he'd cast for Oswald, Jack Ruby, Jackie, LBJ, Ladybird and most especially Dorothy K (I'm thinking Cynthia Nixon is chinless enough).

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2020 8:51 PM

"The podcast noted that a Secret Service agent accidentally fired the kill shot."

I saw a doco based on the same guy's ideas, and how he concluded the "accidentally" part is way beyond me. The agent in question had just joined the team, like 1-3 months before the shooting, was the only one of the Secret Service agents off duty the night before who didn't go out drinking together, and miraculously didn't know enough to have the security catch on on his gun while sitting directly behind the President in the car following. But I thought the kill shots had to come from in front, anyway.

Whether the killer was that agent or not, I'm sure R49's explanation is broadly right. And that LBJ did know beforehand (which rules out any "accidental" hypothesis), because he made several attempts in the days before the tour to get Jackie out of that car. (Remember she was meant to have been too pregnant to travel but she lost the baby.) He might not have known details, but somebody told him to get her out of there. He failed because her reaction to her loss was to cling to Jack almost literally. I believe in the hours after the shooting she remembered his attempts and put two and two together, and that was why she insisted on attending his swearing-in in the bloodstained clothes. Like Banquo's ghost at Macbeth's party.

The funny thing was that, despite all the cover-ups, there was a quality in the grief that suggested people felt down deep it was more than just the random loss of a President they were mourning. The impact on the young baby boomers was surely a significant factor in the doubt and divisions that marked the rest of the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2020 9:07 PM

He walked into my gun. He walked into my gun 4 times!

by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2020 9:10 PM

R6 You had to be there, it was a complete shock. JFK was cool.

by Anonymousreply 56November 23, 2020 9:12 PM

Search YTube for "Everything's A Rich Man's Trick" Choose the one that's about 3.5 hours long. Begin at the 1 hour mark for an hour long segment on the JFK assassination. Some pretty far out shit NEVER covered in any main stream documentaries. So far out they actually merit serious consideration. If your a JFK assassination buff, then you want to see this. The whole video is quite fascinating, actually!

by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2020 11:42 PM

R57, that video lost me at the outset when it claimed that the Purple Gang was a force in the late 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 58November 24, 2020 12:00 AM

With Me too JFK isn’t as sympathetic a figure to millennials as younger. All of the glamorous Kennedy’s have died off and unlike last century between 9/11, Trump, and now Covid people do have enough modern tragedies to ignore the past.

by Anonymousreply 59November 24, 2020 12:03 AM

I shelect to schcreen out the ashashination.

by Anonymousreply 60November 24, 2020 12:13 AM

I was the patsy

by Anonymousreply 61November 24, 2020 12:19 AM

i got jacki oh's autog once, she was in a dress shop in manhanntan. i was a teen, she so nice,

by Anonymousreply 62November 24, 2020 12:30 AM

Jackie O's autograph:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 24, 2020 12:39 AM

The media is too busy preparing for next year's 9/11 cryfest.

by Anonymousreply 64November 24, 2020 1:19 AM

Much like the Lindbergh baby. Let it go, OP

by Anonymousreply 65November 24, 2020 1:26 AM

I don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 66November 24, 2020 1:27 AM

I mentioned it to Jackie. For some reason she wasn't real happy about it.

by Anonymousreply 67November 24, 2020 2:04 AM

The Boston Symphony Orchestra audio is odd. Were they really having a concert on a Friday afternoon?

by Anonymousreply 68November 24, 2020 2:11 AM

For R68

- R17

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 24, 2020 2:22 AM

Well, I figured it was a real thing but it just seemed odd to me, r69. But thanks for the confirmation.

by Anonymousreply 70November 24, 2020 2:23 AM

the world stopped when they killed jfk and it taint never gotten bak on the right track....his curse on the world for killin him has caused the plague to descend on us.

by Anonymousreply 71November 24, 2020 2:47 AM

Momma cried for a week, she said it was the takeover from that day on of the corporate right wing bastards.

by Anonymousreply 72November 24, 2020 4:16 AM

Only the liberals and changers get killed. Shame that there isn't some balance.

by Anonymousreply 73November 24, 2020 4:17 AM

WEHT R23?!

by Anonymousreply 74November 24, 2020 11:09 AM

JFK, blown away. What else do I have to say?

by Anonymousreply 75November 24, 2020 11:13 AM

the day the music died.

by Anonymousreply 76November 24, 2020 11:42 AM

Another scripted thread filled by internet troll farm minions. A bunch of contrived comments and responses.

R54, as usual, you provide over the top nonsense and idiocy.

Hmmmm, I wonder why the trolls are so angry over the last few days?

by Anonymousreply 77November 24, 2020 11:55 AM

I believe the FBI theory. That LHO shot, missed and that the FBI shot wildly back, accidentally shooting JFK from behind.

by Anonymousreply 78November 24, 2020 8:26 PM

R23, that's what we were waiting for?!?!

by Anonymousreply 79November 24, 2020 8:44 PM

Someone else already mentioned it upthread. And yes, thats why it seems so plausible- not as exciting (or complex) as so many conspiracies.

by Anonymousreply 80November 25, 2020 1:35 PM

Who cares about JFK? Jackie was the one with all the style! I miss her so. Now HER death was a tragedy for the nation.

by Anonymousreply 81November 25, 2020 1:51 PM

Biggest event of the century...they were beloved and hot and wild .... made cute kids, well jon jon was 2 di 4 huh....

by Anonymousreply 82November 25, 2020 6:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!