Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's speculate wildly! How would Princess Diana treat her daughters-in-law?

My guess: Initially, she would have been tolerant of Kate, who would defer to her, but at passive-aggressive war with Carole Middleton, which would reach a boil during wedding planning.

She'd "act" as a champion of Meghan in the early stages of the courtship. Maybe even support her through all the Markle family mess pre-/post-wedding. But there's no way in hell she'd let that minor-league drama queen usurp her major-league drama queen throne in the long run.

God, I wish she was still alive! I miss her crazy-ass nonsense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2020 11:30 PM

Oh, she would hate Carole Middleton from Day 1. But, I agree. They would have reached an uneasy detente eventually.

Meghan would kiss her ass. Diana would fall for it and commiserate with the victimhood. But once that bitch hightailed it to the US with Harry and the baby, the gloves would be off!

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2020 3:23 PM

The portrait on Diana with Kate and Meghan in the link is so delightfully creepy! I want it over my mantle!

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2020 3:24 PM

I don't think she'd of like either of them to be honest.

I think she'd find Catherine insufferable, because of her dutiful apple pie and motherhood persona.

I think she'd hate Meghan because she'd be muscling in on Diana's starlight.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2020 3:28 PM

If Diana were still alive, there wouldn't be the wedding of H & M in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2020 4:09 PM

Kate and Meghan are now both older than Diana was when she died. Strange thought.

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2020 7:35 PM

I think Diana would have bent over backwards not to subject her boys or their spouses to the sort of manipulative backbiting shit she had to go through with her own parents and with Charles and Camilla.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2020 8:21 PM

If Diana were alive, Harry wouldn't need a Meghan!

But William would definitely need a sane, stable, and dutiful Kate to keep him on an even keel and help him fit into his Royal position, if it wasn't Kate it'd have been another like her. Diana would hate her and her family, because she'e represent everything Diana herself couldn't deal with, and she'd devote herself to breaking up William's marriage and tell herself she was "saving him".

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2020 9:04 PM

R7 True

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2020 9:27 PM

Mother in Law from Hell.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2020 9:34 PM

Diana would have given both spouses a very hard time. She was very attached to her sons and no woman would have measured up -- certainly not commoners. I believe they both would have chosen differently if Diana were still around. Even so, she would have had a supportive public face but she would have secretly created drama in their marriages.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2020 9:38 PM

My thinking is that had Diana not died when she did, Harry would not have dated much less married Markle.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2020 9:42 PM

Diana's death influenced her sons' choices in wives, so had she lived I think they would've ended up marrying different types.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2020 9:51 PM

Diana would re-marry, not old money (been there, done that), but new garish billions-level rich -- Rupert Murdoch would have married her instead of Wendi Deng in 1999. She would be keeping homes in several world capitals -- NYC, Paris, London, etc.

When Charles marries Camilla, she would send him a wedding gift: cuff links with the initials 'C&D'.

The daughters-in-law would never get on her bad side, 'cause they'd want to be included in her will, which dwarfs whatever they could get out of the BRF.

She'd smack William down when he started taking himself too seriously and early on, would have told Harry to get a (real) life.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2020 9:53 PM

Monster-In-Law.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2020 9:55 PM

I am with our eight. If Diana was alive there’d be no Meagain.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2020 9:57 PM

I’m not so sure William would have chosen differently. He seemed quite attracted to the stability of the Middleton‘s middle-class family lifestyle. That might’ve still happened.

But hewing to OP‘s original question. I think Diana and Middleton would’ve gotten along. One of Kate’s qualities is supposed to be her ability to mix in. I think she would’ve made it easy for Diana to step back because she wouldn’t have competed. She has not tired to become Diana with Diana dead, so no reason to believe she’d compete if Diana were alive.

Had Diana lived, and had Harry married Markel, I think it still would’ve turned out the same. Markle plainly did not or could not fit in. So I can see the split. She and Diana would not have worked.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2020 10:05 PM

I think this is a very important thread and long overdue! I wish she had lived to face-off against Markle! I feel cheated.

Agree with R16 that Kate would have turned over and exposed her belly to Diana, and that would have been the end of that.

Markle, though? She’s much smarter than Diana and Harry, but no one was more cagey than Diana at winning over the media and the public. It would have been a bloodbath.

I want a Crown season where the entire disaster is played out as fan fiction.

I’m enjoying the drama Markle is bringing and I’m grateful for it. It’s been a bright spot in 2020. That damn photo of them laying a wreath on some random grave to counter the snub of Rememberance Sunday alone has been the price of admission.

Just completely disgusted that Diana got herself killed with that imbecile Dodi.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2020 11:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!