Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Queen’s Gambit is a huge hit - why?

Does it have a lot of shirtless men or something?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 25, 2020 1:23 AM

Which member of the BRF is she, it’s hard to keep up?

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2020 3:19 PM

The sex is hot..

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2020 3:25 PM

It’s been an ongoing quarantine and people are BORED. Chess and tranquilizers have never been so exciting.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2020 3:55 PM

Probably NF only counted those who watched the first episode. It's dead boring and wildly overhyped.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2020 4:11 PM

Netflix claims many shows are a big hit but they hold no resonance. One of their former proclaimed hit shows was WHITE LINES which I truly enjoyed, but for the large global viewership numbers, it still didn't garner a second series.

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2020 4:28 PM

It's so boring it's barely watchable but I had nothing else to do on Saturday. Unemployed since March I have seen tons of stuff on Netflix and Amazon and 90% of it is major shit. I don't remember the name but some horror crap with Toni Collette last night that was just vapid unforgivably pointless and The Moustache which is the biggest piece of pretentiousness out there. I berated my tv for wasting my time.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2020 4:54 PM

It's pretty to look at and the fact that it's about chess makes people feel smart by association.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2020 5:29 PM

I was bored the first episode and didn’t watch the second. Besides, I couldn’t stand looking at old bug eyes.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2020 5:31 PM

I’m loving it and think Thomas Brodie-Sangster is adorable and sexy.

by Anonymousreply 9November 26, 2020 12:56 AM

Dull as dishwater. Taylor Joy is an overrated bore. She's our new Amy Adams.

by Anonymousreply 10November 26, 2020 1:07 AM

Fan-freaking-tastic! Love the series. The 60s era was depicted beautifully. Those cars and set design were so well chosen.

by Anonymousreply 11November 26, 2020 1:22 AM

im hooked on it ! so dam goood ! like wow.....u go girl and beat them fukin men in that game!!

by Anonymousreply 12December 6, 2020 7:01 AM

It's nothing special - like The Undoing. But it's a well crafted story with good acting, a subject that feels fresh (if a bit dull) about a Rudy type orphan who overcomes the odds - but not in a too cheesy manner - despite her own self destructiveness.

And, I have said this before on here - it's NOT a racially motivated story nor is it a Covid story (like some of the recurring shows that recently came back to series). I think the TV going world needs a break from that shit for a spell.

by Anonymousreply 13December 6, 2020 7:44 AM

Not a hint of Cock! Not a flash of tit!

And the star is GINGER!

by Anonymousreply 14December 6, 2020 8:53 AM

I thought it was terrific, especially the last episode.

by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2020 9:37 AM

[quote] Dull as dishwater.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 16December 6, 2020 9:43 AM

Slim pickings at Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2020 9:48 AM

Could not stop watching, watched all the episodes....so fun, she was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2020 10:26 AM

The show is clearly a big hit. The novel is selling pretty well and it will be published in my country in january (after being out of print for years).

It's pretty clear that not everyone is looking for the same things a DL average member look in a tv show

by Anonymousreply 19December 6, 2020 10:28 AM

It was a decent show, nothing great and a little on the boring side. Little beth looked nothing like older Beth and that bothered me a lot.

by Anonymousreply 20December 6, 2020 10:31 AM

the ending made me weep. LOVED IT

by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2020 11:14 AM

Op, Shirtless men only attract the gays

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2020 11:16 AM

A show about the Queen’s gams and bits? 🤢

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2020 12:22 PM

Because it wasn't lecturing the audience, pretty rare these days.

by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2020 12:28 PM

LOVED her various 'boyfriends'...great actors and cute....

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2020 12:31 PM

Because not every show can be Golden Girls OP

by Anonymousreply 26December 6, 2020 12:35 PM

I couldn't make it through the first 15 minutes. Girl is ugly and story is boring.

And R19? That's because our taste is better than the hoi polloi.

by Anonymousreply 27December 6, 2020 12:35 PM

R27 I don't think so. Most threads doesn't show great taste at all

by Anonymousreply 28December 6, 2020 12:36 PM

iT WILL win a shitload of awards....one of the best series ive seen in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 29December 6, 2020 12:40 PM

wish fulfilment

by Anonymousreply 30December 6, 2020 1:09 PM

Another show about the Queen???

by Anonymousreply 31December 6, 2020 1:33 PM

Beautifully produced, from start to finish. There's some fundamental problem, though. Either with the screen play or the director's interpretation of it. It looks inward at a lot of interesting things, then gets stuck there when it needs to move on. Not egregiously so, but there are these moments in each episode where I was noticing that we were spinning our wheels. The director tells a lot of the story visually and those segments can become lengthy. So... is that the director or the screenwriter? Or both? Perhaps the Editor? Or the Editor and Director feeding one another's weaknesses? Probably not possible to sort out, unless you were there.

I had little hope that it was going to do anything but fizzle out. But no. The last episode has everything that the previous seven episodes had, but needed more of.

I've not read the book, but her green pills HAD TO have been a much bigger part of the book. It's really problematic in a dramatic narrative to introduce drug addiction for the main character and then not deal with it more decisively than this film version of The Queen's Gambit finally does.

It's beautifully acted. The men are hot. Their American accents are all funny, especially Harry Melling. He was working hard to get that right and almost did. None of them spoke as if they were from Kentucky. Not a one.

by Anonymousreply 32December 6, 2020 1:54 PM

Say what you may, its heads above most of the drivel we see.....the undoing? looks like garbage beside this gem..

by Anonymousreply 33December 6, 2020 2:03 PM

Its feel good entertainment. People want that right now.

by Anonymousreply 34December 6, 2020 2:06 PM

Corvair NEVER made a car that color.

by Anonymousreply 35December 6, 2020 2:08 PM

Some very interesting tidbits in the linked article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 6, 2020 2:27 PM

Loved the wardrobe for the women, but the men didn't feel as dated. They could've had more fun with the late 60s outerwear though. Also have a soft spot for that drunk on mothers little helpers 'momager'. As a character she felt the most authentic to that period, reminds me of Winters in Lolita, bawdy, drunk and on the prowl.

Dont think that Goyard ever licensed upholstery with major airlines, that was odd, overall an enjoyable, engaging show IMO and I've always been awful at chess, (watching it being played is about as fun as the game itself).

by Anonymousreply 37December 6, 2020 4:00 PM

I loved watching it. It is the best thing I have seen in a while.

by Anonymousreply 38December 6, 2020 4:05 PM

Haven’t we seen enough movies about the Royal Family?

by Anonymousreply 39December 6, 2020 4:10 PM

The guy who played Benny wasn't hot enough. He was hit by Nanny McPhee's ugly stick.

by Anonymousreply 40December 6, 2020 4:10 PM

He was hot enough for me. I'd fuck him all night long.

by Anonymousreply 41December 6, 2020 4:13 PM

If you're looking for more to watch and haven't seen "The Hustler" (1961), it is a very a good adaptation of a novel by Walter Tevis, who also wrote the one "The Queen's Gambit" is based on. Primo Paul Newman as a bonus.

by Anonymousreply 42December 6, 2020 4:34 PM

[quote] Does it have a lot of shirtless men or something?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 43December 6, 2020 4:38 PM

Pussy Power!

Girls are the new boys!

Too bad she's only white!

by Anonymousreply 44December 6, 2020 4:40 PM

Anya Taylor Joy is cartoon like. It was watching a model in a fashion shoot. I think that’s why women like it so much.

It was pretty dull. I don’t know why we needed a whole episode of Harry and...erm, Harmon indoors training for a tournament. The lack of realism in regards to the drugs and drinking was off-putting. I notice there’s a lot of female characters binge drinking now - this and The Flight Attendant, Aubrey Plaza’s new film Black Bear (which was very good). Industry. A lot of drinking going on.

by Anonymousreply 45December 6, 2020 4:48 PM

"Queen to Play" is entertaining and features some gorgeous Corsican scenery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 6, 2020 4:55 PM

Did she sleep with that woman she woke next to?

by Anonymousreply 47December 6, 2020 5:41 PM

Where can I get a couple of bottles of Librium?

Forget your troubles, come on get happy.

by Anonymousreply 48December 6, 2020 6:02 PM

The mother stole the scenes. I kept waiting for some major plot twist. But overall it was outstanding and a short and appropriate 7 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 49December 25, 2020 12:52 AM

I thought they did a good job casting the kid who played young Beth. She had the same round eyes as adult Beth.

Very engrossing series. The director wasn’t afraid to have long, wordless scenes. Great production. I don’t know anything about chess but I was riveted.

by Anonymousreply 50December 25, 2020 1:12 AM

The week it came out there was nothing to watch but a terrible Lily James film.

by Anonymousreply 51December 25, 2020 1:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!