Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Wizard of Oz...

Just in time for Thanksgiving, cable tv is once again having mass airings. Ive seen it a hundred times like most, but for the first time in a long time, I actually WATCHED it. I really is a masterpiece in film making. The sets, the costumes, the songs, the special effects, the performances. It really is an iconic movie. Its even harder to believe its over 80 years old and still holds up against modern films.

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2020 2:14 PM

Racist piece of shit film. It suppresses minorities by offering no representation of anything other than whites, witches, and people descended from straw or tin, THEN makes cartoons of both animals and those who are vertically challenged. Burn it! It's unacceptable to show it today!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2020 2:46 AM

R1? Begone, before somebody drops a house on you, too!

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2020 2:53 AM

This movie is just as old as Joe Biden is.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2020 2:56 AM

Its older

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2020 2:57 AM

R3, it’s three years older.

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2020 2:57 AM

A brief synopsis: Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets and then teams up with three strangers to kill again.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2020 3:00 AM

My favorite movie as a child. I collected memorabilia, but nothing of any real value.. I stopped sometime in middle school. Now, I'd put some nice Oz prints or autographs on the wall, and collect books related to the subject, but can't stand dust collectors. So that's as far as it would go these days.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2020 3:06 AM

I have never seen Wizard of Oz.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2020 3:26 AM

A local theater showed it several years ago. It was fabulous on a big screen.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2020 3:31 AM

Amazing that it was all filmed on big soundstages, with the clever use of matte painting backdrops. Movie magic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2020 3:40 AM

From the first notes of the orchestra over the titles to the final moments, "The Wizard of Oz" remains an evocative, incredibly imaginative and compelling film.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2020 3:47 AM

1939 was Hollywood’s pinnacle. Not that everything before or after was garbage, but ‘39 remains the high water mark for widespread cinematic excellence.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2020 3:49 AM

Is everyone here a friend of Dorothy?

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2020 3:49 AM

I'm glad it was done back then. If it was done now they would totally fuck it up with CGI and special effects. It's perfect as it is.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2020 7:29 AM

Lest you forget, that poor girl was starved, fed amphetamines like candy and then when she was too strung out to sleep barbiturated into a coma until she had to get up and do it all over the next day for 12 to 15 hours, six days a week.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2020 7:40 AM

Everyone on this thread certainly is, r13.

I just watched it again with my two teenaged kids on Nov. 7, the day they finally called the election for Biden. "Ding Dong, the witch is dead" was just the perfect soundtrack for that event. It really is a perfect movie.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2020 9:11 AM

Whenever I feel sad, I think of Bert Lahr's Cowardly Lion. "What makes de muskrat gaaaad his musk? Courage!" among other classic lines.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2020 11:24 AM

Who put the "ape" in "apricot"?

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2020 11:29 AM

R11 My eyes watered when I heard the opening notes of the overture.

Oh, I’m not kidding anybody. I wept like a big, ole girl.

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2020 11:31 AM

What makes the dawn come up like thunder?

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2020 11:40 AM

My 7 year old niece loves it. Its the only film that old that still capticates young audiences.

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2020 11:41 AM

Charles Schulz's strip was groundbreaking until it become over-commercialized in the 60s, starting with the Happiness is a Warm Puppy book.

All the TV shows and movies that followed were crap.

I liked the stage musical, however.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2020 11:44 AM

It's a sweet movie, I've seen it maybe ten times.

But OP has seen it a hundred times, OP time to move on. Find a hobby or a job or friends.

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2020 11:44 AM

I feel sorry for 16's kids, she even turns The Wizard of Oz into a political statement. R1 and R16 will soon have it canceled.

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2020 11:55 AM

[quote] My favorite movie as a child. I collected memorabilia, but nothing of any real value.. I stopped sometime in middle school.

And your parents had the nerve to be surprised when you came out?!

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2020 12:07 PM

In the olden days it was only on TV once a year. When I was 7 or 8 I missed it and I still recall the disappointment and waiting a whole year to see it again.

Synopsis: Drug addicted, animal abusing, teenage fugitive from flyover imagines she forms militia to overthrow beloved leader during her detox from opium.

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2020 12:16 PM

[quote] In the olden days it was only on TV once a year

It was always a big deal when it was shown on TV back in the 1960s. We didn't have a color TV (like Judy Gold's mother, my mother was convinced they gave off 'radiation' and my father went along only because he was too cheap to spend the money) so we were invited over to another family's house to watch.

At first I didn't understand what was going on, it was in black and white, just like it was at our house, but when Dorothy opened the door and everything was in color, my little 7 year-old head exploded.

Back when we still went to theaters, if THE WIZARD OF OZ was being shown as part of a retrospective or festival, I'd make a point of seeing it on the big screen. Like R9 said, it's fabulous seen that way.

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2020 12:23 PM

R26 You forgot to work in the angle where she has three best friends, but in the cuntiest of moves at the last minute and in front of a crowd of thousands picks one who she likes the best of all! Sheesh, Dorothy, read the room, or grand town square, you bitch!

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2020 12:24 PM

"Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" is a venerable soundtrack of the overthrow of right-wing one-term presidents. It was the headline of all the gay papers (and apparently even at Harvard) when Bush Sr. lost in 1992.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2020 12:24 PM

R24...What are you 12 ? Im 58...between my childhood, my kids childhood, nieces and nephews and the grandkids, Ive probably seen it more than 100 times...and I relish each and every viewing. So fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2020 2:13 PM

^^^^sorry, meant r23, not r24^^^^

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2020 2:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!