Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you bought your Turkey for Thanksgiving

If not why not?

And if you have, what else will you be cooking with your turkey

by Anonymousreply 17November 28, 2020 2:12 AM

He won't stop golfing and concede.

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2020 10:51 PM

No. I switched to stuffed chicken some years ago. It's a bit lighter than turkey and I can get a smaller bird. Everything else remains the same.

My mom did this when we were adults - she'd roast Cornish hens for each person and we'd take any unfinished hen home with us.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2020 11:53 PM

Sounds good R2

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2020 11:56 PM

Only legs and wings since I'm cooking for myself. Going to start defrosting them tonight. Will make stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and either a salad or sauteed greens. Buying pie. I can make cornbread but I don't have the time or patience to make any more dishes. Won't miss Thanksgiving classics like many of the casseroles and anything topped with marshmallow. I love marshmallows but I don't want it on anything that isn't a dessert. And many of the casseroles are just gloopy tasteless slop.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2020 12:21 AM

R4 all that food just for yourself?

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2020 3:40 PM

Yes, plan to eat leftovers all weekend. Also make turkey noodle or rice soup.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2020 4:03 PM

Yes, from the butcher shop. We’ll start the brining process on Tuesday. Cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, rolls and stuffing on the side. Pie is ordered from the bakery.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2020 5:07 PM

I prefer to cook my dog!

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2020 5:11 PM

I'm grateful to be healthy and alive this year, but I just can't be bothered with this HOG FEST this year. I just don't give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2020 5:23 PM

I am continuing the thread to see if anyone has a history with cooking Heritage or Heirloom turkeys?

Thinking about a small one for X-mas.

by Anonymousreply 10November 26, 2020 9:58 PM

Someone on Twitter who lives Down South had a funny story this morning - he said (I'm paraphrasing) he was at a grocery store and a young woman put down a frozen turkey at the register counter. The middle-aged black lady cashier said, "Honey, you aren't thinking of cooking that today, are you? You go get a ham - their already cooked" and then had the bag boy take her back to get it.

by Anonymousreply 11November 26, 2020 10:16 PM

Not yet, will be picking it up in a few days.

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2020 10:46 PM

so how did the turkey turn out today?

by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2020 11:34 PM

Another year when I didn't buy a turkey( party of one here). I am; however, awaiting the generosity of two friends who will supply me with homemade turkey soup( I have some acini de pepe standing by) Neither of them can stand it, but they know I like it. What good friends I have.

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2020 12:50 AM

Roasted turkey legs/wings, side dishes of stuffing, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, cranberry sauce. Supermarket pumpkin pie with Miracle Whip. Everything was just okay. Reminds me why I only eat this stuff once a year. Will have enough food for the rest of the week. Will also make turkey soup from the bones.

How do I avoid gluey mashed potatoes?

Thinking about prime rib for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2020 1:36 AM

r15 The more you mash/whip the cooked potatoes, the glue-ier they'll get. Adding sufficient dairy(milk, cream, butter, sour cream, etc) will help tame the glue.

One assumes you'll be substituting Cool Whip or Dream Whip for the Miracle Whip you'll undoubtedly keep to make salad with some leftover turkey?

by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2020 1:43 AM

R16, I worry I'm not incorporating the milk/butter enough but I must be over-mashing.

Yep, meant Cool Whip with the pie...

by Anonymousreply 17November 28, 2020 2:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!