Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

ANDIE Macdowell is her generation's Ali MacGraw.

A beautiful woman who by most accounts is well-liked off-screen and who was effective in one or two well-made films and otherwise cannot act.

They even have the same initials.

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2020 1:31 AM

She is a robot.

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2020 10:44 PM

[quote] She is a robot.

It's robut.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2020 10:46 PM

I've never seen her come to life on screen, but she's been better in some stuff than others. She's at least tolerable in Sex, Lies, and Videotape.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2020 10:48 PM

Her voice and William Hurt's voice can lull monkeys to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2020 10:51 PM

I saw her coming out of my building with some friends of hers, and hardly anyone in the lobby, yet she covered her face with her hand as if afraid of being recognized or afraid of the non-existent paparazzi.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2020 10:54 PM

Andie has worked much more than Ali has. Andie has also been in the beauty business much longer. Ali had sort of given up by the time she did "Dynasty." Glamour wasn't really her thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2020 10:54 PM

What's more to say OP? You've said it all.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2020 10:55 PM

She's very likable in Groundhog Day, and is pretty good in Green Card and Four Weddings and a Funeral.

Moreover, she has the type of bone structure the camera loves. Like Ava Gardner.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2020 10:55 PM

On the line we have genius grant recipient and all round good sport Angie Dickinson.

Tell us Annie, do you think you ever met your father's Great Expectations?

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2020 10:56 PM

A natural beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2020 10:57 PM

I read Robert Evans' biography but it was a longtime ago. Did Ali owe much of her success to Evans?

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2020 10:58 PM

Did Nolan Miller hate Ali MacGraw? This is the sort of outfit you give a great big fat person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2020 11:00 PM

She's incredibly beautiful and I LOVE her voice

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2020 11:01 PM

Andie is very pretty, graceful, and has a similar natural beauty to Ali, but lacks the same sex appeal IMHO. Some things cannot be adequately quantified, or perfectly explained. Andie has a patrician thing going on, so it may be that, which prevents me thinking of her more sexually. Ali favoured more miniskirts and clingy knits when she was happening, boots and miniskirts as well... Andie didn't seem to work any particularly sexy styles. She seemed more like a respectable church lady, hats, long dresses, nothing too fitted or tight. Rarely wore her hair down too.

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2020 11:01 PM

Well their acting skills (I use that word loosely) are on a par, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2020 11:02 PM

I was a colorist in a high end salon and got to do her hair. She’s very gracious in person and I admire she likely has made more money off L’Oreal ads over the decades than acting.

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2020 11:02 PM

Andie always reminded me of all the southern church moms I knew as a kid. Pleasant, pretty, but not much there. Sorta flat and boring. You knew she'd probably leave the party before playing spin the bottle or watch that R rated movie her parents forbid her to watch.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2020 11:03 PM

Ali and an old queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2020 11:06 PM

My Asheville friend went to the same salon as she did. She got her hair dyed in a special room as she was doing the hair dye commercials at the time. M friend's hairdresser spilled the tea.

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2020 11:06 PM

R4 you should watch ‘Michael’.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2020 11:06 PM

"Love Story" made Ali MacGraw is a pop culture icon, something Andie Macdowell will never be.

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2020 11:11 PM

R21 The L'Oreal ads, plus Groundhog Day and Four Weddings has made Andie rather a pop icon.

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2020 11:14 PM

Sometimes bad actresses can be very right for certain roles. I think she was very effective in sex, lies and videotape, 4 weddings and short cuts.

Love Story is dreck and will be forgotten very shortly, r21.

by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2020 11:17 PM

She’s charming, beautiful, and has restraint. That was the fantasy for the gruff Fraus stuffed into their denim skorts in the 90s, she possessed a feminine demure character they could never attain. She also appealed to the blue collar man, because she kept her mouth shut at the right times and was gorgeous, but had that nerdy aspect that made her seem attainable. She was the perfect girl to pair with fugly actors in the 90s. Gérard Depardieu, John Malkovich, Bill Murray, Michael Keaton, William Hurt all hideous and all paired with Andie.

by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2020 11:17 PM

R24 interesting and astute sum up - an angle I never noticed.

by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2020 11:21 PM

I would hardly call William Hurt or Michael Keaton hideous.

by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2020 11:23 PM

[Quote] Love means never having to say you' re sorry.

Is it raining? I hadn't noticed.

by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2020 11:29 PM

Andie's had a few good movies, including Short Cuts. Ali's had nothing but schlock. Even her Peckinpah, "The Getaway", isn't anything special.

by Anonymousreply 28November 22, 2020 11:42 PM

[quote]Love Story is dreck and will be forgotten very shortly,

LOL. Love Story will be forgotten "very shortly"?

Uh...the film was released 40 years ago.

OF COUSE it's dreck. No one disputes that. But it was a cultural sensation in a way that none of Andie Macdowells films were.

by Anonymousreply 29November 22, 2020 11:43 PM

[quote] Ali's had nothing but schlock

He's gay. Ali has not "had" him.

by Anonymousreply 30November 22, 2020 11:46 PM

Di-tent you KNOW? Di-tent YOU know?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 22, 2020 11:46 PM

Disagree. "Four Weddings and a Funeral" was massive. They even made a TV version only a couple of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 32November 22, 2020 11:57 PM

[quote]Did Ali owe much of her success to Evans?

Yes, she had read the script and wanted to make the movie. She needed Evans to get it done. He was then production chief at Paramount. He didn't think much of the story, but was in love with her, so, ta-da!

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2020 12:01 AM

Is she a Trumper? AndIe blocked me on Twitter after I posted Trump memes. I guess she follows people who follow her.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2020 12:03 AM

Hilarious R31!

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2020 12:05 AM

I had been a fan since the Ralph Lauren days, but lost all interest after she shaded Gerard Depardieu as “ugly.” Later, I thought the SNL sketch that depicted her as someone so dumb she’d eat paste were hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2020 12:06 AM

They didn't have to shade Sally Kirkland like that.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2020 12:12 AM

She was phenomenal in 4 Weddings. Also, related note, that funeral scene is one of the saddest scenes I've ever witnessed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2020 1:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!