Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Betty Buckley

She sang back-up on Roberta Flack's "Feel Like Making Love" album and once saved Rufus Wainwright from drowning in a hotel pool.

Is there anything this budding ingenue can't do?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2020 1:30 AM

Sadly, one of her brothers passed away last night. She lives near her mom in Texas and posts more family and horse photos than anything show biz related. Her voice is truly one of a kind. A gift.

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2020 9:50 PM

Yeah. The purity of her voice was something special.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2020 10:01 PM

Several years ago, Peter Scolari was doing an off-Broadway play (can't recall the name offhand.) Before showtime my sister and I were picking up our Will Call tickets in the tiny foyer when the theatre's elevator door opened and Peter Scolari stepped out of it. Betty Buckley was standing right by us and she threw open her arms dramatically and called out "SCO-LARRR-EEE!" to greet him. Makes me smile whenever I think of her overly dramatic greetingšŸ˜

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2020 10:01 PM

Not for nothing but does Ms Betty still pal around with DL icon Sisan Richardson? The least Betty can do is call her up for tea and throw her a few bucks. Betty should be a good stepmother to her in real life. Poor Susan really needs the dough and the love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2020 10:16 PM

Which brother? Not Queen Norman?

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2020 10:20 PM

Not Norman.

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2020 10:26 PM

[quote]Is there anything this budding ingenue can't do?

Comedy.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2020 10:42 PM

R7, was just about to say that. Gorgeous voice and really great on screen, but she has this weird, aloof coldness on stage. On screen, I've seen her be warm and very funny, but all her stage performances that I've seen have left me really cold. Gypsy and Hello, Dolly are two shows where you could put a talking monkey up there and they'd at least get a few accidental laughs, but Betty would stifle every potential laugh line. I don't know why.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2020 10:54 PM

Has a habit of showing up late for performances which freaks out stage managers. She used to show up for Sunset Blvd 15 mins before curtain but in full makeup. Was chronically late for Cats and one night stage manager sent her home and let her understudy go on. Very self absorbed but not unkind.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2020 11:11 PM

Betty and Adam Rich tweet to each other a lot of anti-Trump posts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2020 2:25 AM

Itā€™s been said that the cast of Eight Is Enough hates Betty yet they all stay in touch and support eachother. Well, maybe not Susan.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2020 2:29 AM

Somebody linked an interview with Kim Criswell (who played Betty's role in the LA cast of Cats) on a theater thread I guess.

I was surprised how she told the story of how they alerted her they might be using her on Broadway since they were thinking of not renewing Buckley's contract since she was often late or missed shows.

I wonder why she was in such a hit and so acclaimed but self-sabotaging herself like that.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2020 2:33 AM

I love that Adam Rich hates Trump and Ricky Schroder. :)

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2020 2:35 AM

batty buckly

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2020 2:36 AM

Does she exchange tweets with fellow Texan Sissy Spacek?

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2020 2:40 AM

R12. The Cats experience humbled her. Watch her Tony acceptance speech.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2020 3:29 AM

PS Crazy Aunt Viv Janet Hubert was her understudy in Cats.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2020 3:29 AM

Did Hubert go on for her much? They hired a second understudy (Diane Fratantoni) pretty soon into the run. I kind of remember Diane going on the most and Hubert leaving the cast pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2020 3:32 AM

Andrew Lloyd Webber says he loves Betty, but that she is "one of those actresses who agonizes about everything." He said she convinced herself that Trevor Nunn and the cast of "Cats" were ostracizing her so she would understand how Grizabella felt as an outsider, when, in fact, they were just preoccupied with doing their jobs and not particularly focussed on Betty Lynn.

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2020 4:01 AM

Betty was pretty fabulous in Tender Mercies. Itā€™s a shame she didnā€™t work in film more.

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2020 4:58 AM

Jazz. She sucks at jazz.

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2020 5:01 AM

[quote]Is there anything this budding ingenue can't do?

Act sane.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2020 5:11 AM

R11 Not Lani either.

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2020 5:14 AM

So why was she fired from Brothers and Sisters?!

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2020 2:32 PM

She was also fired from the Sarah Michelle Gellar shitfest 'Simply Irresistible' for being a bitch to SMG. That takes some talent to out-bitch that bitch.

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2020 3:25 PM

Betty's a major cunt. She lures you in them stabs you in the back.

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2020 3:54 PM

What did Grant Goodeve (hot AF) think of her during their Eight is Enough days? And why the f*** isn't Eight is Enough on ME-TV???!

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2020 4:26 PM

I know that during the pilot of Brothers and Sisters, Betty went around and asked all the other actors how much they were being paid.

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2020 5:52 PM

She's nuts. Not eccentric.

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2020 5:55 PM

[quote] they were thinking of not renewing Buckley's contract since she was often late or missed shows.

They should be grateful when we show up to three, four shows a week!

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2020 6:03 PM

She is my idol.

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2020 6:12 PM

If she really is someone who agonizes over everything as ALW says, it makes sense why she rarely seems alive and in the moment on stage and also why she's not great at comedy. If you overthink comedy, you're doomed.

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2020 7:21 PM

Wacky cunt

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2020 7:23 PM

She misses many performances due to illness. Even during the Dolly tour I could see her using and stashing kleenex all over the set. I thought if this had been Broadway she would have called in sick

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2020 7:39 PM

She called in sick slot during the Dolly tour. When she was younger I believe her absences were due to partaking in certain substances.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2020 11:20 PM

She missed the performance of Dolly , I went from Atlanta to Orlando to see. Thank goodness she graced us with Her presence in Greenville .

by Anonymousreply 36November 24, 2020 12:01 AM

Caneface. I never could stand her.

by Anonymousreply 37November 24, 2020 12:15 AM

She's always gracious on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 38November 24, 2020 12:16 AM

She can even play Vietnamese.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 24, 2020 12:16 AM

Betty who?

by Anonymousreply 40November 24, 2020 12:35 AM

Did she get along with Dick Van Patten? Dick turned down The Love Boat (the role of Captain Stubing) to do Eight is Enough.

by Anonymousreply 41November 24, 2020 1:30 AM

[quote]Itā€™s been said that the cast of Eight Is Enough hates Betty yet they all stay in touch and support each other. Well, maybe not Susan.

...and not Lani.

by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2020 1:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!