Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Outdoor dining has transitioned into shed dining

Nothing like eating in what is basically a tool shed on the middle of the sidewalk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2020 12:06 AM

Why are people even eating out? Why is eating in a miserable, distanced environment on the sidewalk better than eating at home?

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2020 9:48 PM

My God, why does anyone bother, especially as it starts to get colder? How is this any better than just getting takeout? Well, I guess it's NYC where some people pay to live in what is literally a retrofitted closet, so I might understand wanting to get out, but still.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2020 9:49 PM

Is it actually enclosed? The ones in SF sometimes have tops (hardly a roof) but aren’t otherwise enclosed.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2020 9:51 PM

Shake Shack

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2020 9:53 PM

If there isn't airflow, its not outdoor dining, you might as well be eating inside. You can't have an enclosed space, but places are doing it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2020 9:57 PM

[quote] Why are people even eating out?

Some are probably just hoping they get photographed for a news article so they can brag about it on Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2020 9:58 PM

It's fabulous, It's transformed/improved the look of every city block. Some places are really special. ALso. No tourists in NY. I know it's bad for the economy, but it's been great knowing that the only people in my neighborhood are the ones who live here. ALso. NO Trump supporters.NONE.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2020 10:04 PM

Not exactly Chanterelle, is it?

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2020 10:08 PM

I think this is the best solution, no blocking of sidewalks or streets, safely apart from other diners, and restaurants don't have to worry about dine and dash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2020 10:10 PM

There's a bunch of restaurants where I live that have heated tents - fully enclosed. Some have a bit more structure - like a low plywood or metal wall and then a "tent" on top. Maybe there's a bit of a draft, but I don't get how these things are not "inside" and can avoid inside dining bans.

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2020 10:11 PM

lmao R9

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2020 10:12 PM

When it gets colder, they will also close up the open "windows" on those sheds. I've seen a few start to do this in NYC already. As noted by others above, these "outside" areas are now inside enclosures in everything but name.

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2020 10:16 PM

Just open the indoor dining. This is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2020 10:19 PM

I'd agree with R13. Either ban all indoor dining - traditional or these retrofitted enclosures, or just allow indoor dining with capacity restrictions.

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2020 10:21 PM

How about just take your food and go home and eat it!

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2020 10:23 PM

It's the same as indoor dining. Again, Americans are the dumbest cunts on the planet!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2020 10:23 PM

These sheds are actually worse than dining indoors where there are HVAC systems providing adequate ventilation.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2020 10:35 PM

I agree they're worse, but in what world do all indoor dining HVAC systems provide adequate ventilation?

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2020 10:41 PM

Some of the more high end ones have individual tents for each party so that you're only breathing the same air as the people in your "bubble."

This is what we get when we have a government that won't pay people to stay home for a few weeks. Most restaurants already barely make a profit. If they don't do this, they will have to close and we'll only be left with Olive Gardens and Applebee's and fast food chains.

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2020 10:48 PM

I understand why the restaurants stay open. I don't understand why right now there are people still going to them.

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2020 10:56 PM

If its enclosed the health officials should shut this shit down. How fucking stupid. The mind boggles.

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2020 10:57 PM

Great to hear from the experts from flyover. Why don't you worry about your own shitty town. Check out the crown moulding in today's Tasteless friends, UTAH edition.

You;re just upset to lose a parking space that you will never park in. Everytime a parking spot dies, a flyover has to rotate his tires.

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2020 11:01 PM

NY has never been better, because YOU"RE not here. There I said it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2020 11:09 PM

Sitting in a shed is absurd - and they're all over NYC.

As if they're any safer from a transmission perspective.

by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2020 11:15 PM

r22 = douch cunt cyclist who's under the delusion he impresses people with his little hobby

by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2020 11:30 PM

[quote]No tourists in NY. I know it's bad for the economy, but it's been great knowing that the only people in my neighborhood are the ones who live here.

Why do you even live in NYC if you only want people around from your own neighborhood? You could save a lot of money and get the whole no-tourists experience by moving to Schenectady.

by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2020 11:37 PM

Bin 5 - This bullshit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2020 11:40 PM

Public land shouldn't be used for private profit.

by Anonymousreply 28November 22, 2020 11:42 PM

This picture will be in textbooks in 50 years explaining the Mass Hysteria of 2020.

by Anonymousreply 29November 22, 2020 11:44 PM

FAIL- I hate bikes too. Get off the sidewalk.

If you can't see how partitioned areas of small groups outside can't provide more ventiation than a packed Manhattan restaurant in a single room, you're beyond stupid.

R26- For the demographics, to be with like minded people, surrounded by hot mens and it's where the man I love asked me to marry him.

by Anonymousreply 30November 22, 2020 11:47 PM

Just put up heap filters indoors and call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 31November 22, 2020 11:58 PM

People need to stop spitting, breathing and spluttering on each other.

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2020 12:01 AM

Colin Quinn did a pitch perfect monologue on how the NYC personality came to be. He nails every single ethnicity.

1st joke- The first thing that you have to remember is that everyone who came to NY was miserable where they were. So to start, it's a city of miserable people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2020 12:02 AM

The poster boasting of glad she is there are no tourist in New York just moved here.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2020 12:03 AM

Classy.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2020 12:04 AM

LA County just cancelled all outdoor dining (which has been OK since May) for three weeks, beginning on Wednesday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2020 12:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!