Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Enough With The Lesbian Period Dramas"

As a gay man, I never noticed this trend, but thought this article was interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2020 9:53 PM

Enough with the lesbians, period.

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2020 8:00 PM

I don’t watch this shit but do they get happy endings? While the gay ones all end up in death and heartache.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2020 8:05 PM

There was a funny L Chat thread making mock up posters for all the Corsets & Repression lesbian movies.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2020 8:05 PM

Semi-colonialism.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2020 8:10 PM

My eyes automatically skip over lesbian movies when scrolling through streaming service. They don’t even register. If this is a thing, then I hope everyone gets the resolution that they desire...or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2020 8:10 PM

"The Fingersmithing Bostonian Ladies in Ammonite Tipping Lizzie's, Daphne's, and Bessie's Velvet on Fire."

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2020 8:16 PM

Yeah, I get it but I like the period lesbian dramas. There are enough really bad contemporary lesbian movies to make up for it.

And, aren't most of the mainstream, celebrated gay male movies also set in the past? Maurice. A Single Man. Brokeback. Bent. Gods and Monsters. Far from Heaven. So, basically, this is a gay and lesbian representational issue. I'm kind of disappointed that while I have seen all of these, and more, gay male films I doubt many gay men have seen any of the even most celebrated lesbian films. True or not? I hope I'm wrong.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2020 8:51 PM

R7, I think it’s interesting as a cultural signifier how little interest there is in representing the current day gay or lesbian experience, this effort to portray our lives as something that only existed in the past.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2020 10:09 PM

R8, it's probably because in the movie-making bubbles around the world, being gay now is no big deal. That's what they know so they go to the past for dramatic tension. All the time, failing to realize that most of the world is still anti-gay and being gay is still a drama-filled and dangerous thing even today. I'm not as familiar with foreign gay cinema but I'd bet that gay movies coming out of places where it is still not acceptable at all to be gay are set in modern times.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2020 10:14 PM

I enjoy good films and TV shows about lesbians. I loved Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Gentleman Jack, Carol, etc.

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2020 10:15 PM

I meant to include that I’m a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2020 10:15 PM

For some reason, a lot of people believe that gays and lesbians are now off the endangered species list and everything is great, so they like to only tell stories about gay and lesbian people in period pieces, because it allows them to say "gee, wasn't it tough to be gay back in this time period. We're so lucky to be living in a more open minded age." Yet these people forget that gay people are still in closet, still kill themselves, still run away from home or are turned away by insane religious parents, or get into straight marriages and live lies for decades until they can't take it anymore. A lot of people are under the impression this all went away once we got the right to get married, but it still happens.

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2020 10:20 PM

I rather enjoy period films, and novels. As a gay man, I find the lesbian dramas equally as intriguing. It's the same struggle essentially, and a covert secret love story. I'm not experiencing any "lesbian fatigue" myself.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2020 10:26 PM

Any LGBT story that hits the screens is a little miracle, so I'm not too picky. I do wish they weren't almost all tragedies in some way with either one of them dying or ended up in a straight relationship after the fact. It's something that does happen a lot, but it wouldn't hurt to see a movie about someone who just happens to be gay and the story doesn't really revolve around it. Even something like a James Bond movie would be more interesting if he was gay and courting all these beautiful men while saving people.

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2020 10:31 PM

People still have freedom of choice when it comes to which movies to watch during these difficult times.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2020 10:34 PM

I'd love to see some of you rip Netflix's A New York Christmas Wedding to pieces. There's a modern day piece of shit for ya! Just wait until you find out who the flaming guardian angel character actually is! And, when the priest outs every gay person in his congregation, you'll just die. This movie is so bad it is unreal. I'll stick with the period pieces if this is what they make in the contemporary world.

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2020 10:37 PM

It's time to have two black lesbians eating each other out on the screen.

Or a gay drama with overweight people. Every LGBT person is not model thin. Let's see four hundred pounders sticking butter up each others asses.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2020 10:44 PM

Nobody likes a fatty, R17.

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2020 12:46 AM

R18. "Susan is my planet."

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2020 12:49 AM

Two unrelated comments:

R17, that would have been a funnier comment if you had used "arses".

Is The Favourite a lesbian period drama? I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2020 12:50 AM

R10 so is that a no to Happiest Season with KStew?

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2020 8:30 AM

These types of movies are awards bait, allowing the actresses to profess how "brave" she is and confirm her SJW bonafides, so they aren't going anywhere. On one hand, it's good that these types of offbeat stories are told, though they're probably meant for Netfix or Hulu rather than full releases, but you can see the picture of the actresses staring longing at each other & think that you've already seen this story a million times. And you'd be right.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2020 8:47 AM

Enough with all the "enoughs", Americans are so troublesome!!! Always killing the good things because it's "woke"!

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2020 8:51 AM

"I think it’s interesting as a cultural signifier how little interest there is in representing the current day gay or lesbian experience, this effort to portray our lives as something that only existed in the past."

Let's be honest, a lesbian movie set in 2020 would be very different. The word lesbian would not be uttered, the characters would be queer, non-binary or trans WOC. Otherwise the movie would be slaughtered online.

Therefore I am fine with period dramas, at least in those movies lesbians and gays still are allowed to exist.

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2020 8:53 AM

When is the new Kate Winslet/Saoirse Ronan lesbian drama coming out? The reviews were not great.

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2020 9:45 PM

Oh yes. There are soooo many of them. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2020 9:46 PM

[quote] how little interest there is in representing the current day gay or lesbian experience, this effort to portray our lives as something that only existed in the past.

Audience don't want to see all those tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2020 9:52 PM

I didn’t think about it at the time, but those outfits in the lesbian Christmas movie did look dated.

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2020 9:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!