Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Blanche DuBois, High School English Teacher

This could have been a spin off of A Streetcar Named Desire, in the 50s. A sitcom like Our Miss Brooks, but a little darker.

Anyway, Blanche's occupation was teaching English. What do you think Blanche would have been like, teaching high school English? She actually does remind me of some English teachers I've known. Other than seducing underage boys, do you think she was a good role model? Can you picture her in the Teacher's Lounge with the rest of the faculty, having a cig or eating cottage cheese and a baloney sandwich for lunch? What did she do on her summer vacations? Did she coach a sport? What were her favorite authors and poets? Did she regale the class with stories of her days at Belle Reve?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2020 2:55 PM

In her literature class, “Lolita” was required reading.

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2020 4:16 PM

Could be kind of awkward when they read “A Streetcar Named Desire.”

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2020 4:22 PM

In my AP English class we always seemed to be deciphering and deconstructing poems. And after we'd spend so much time discussing the metaphors, symbolism, and motifs of a poem, our teacher inevitably would point out something we had missed: the sexual imagery. Then she'd re-read the lines in a knowing, sensually heightened manner for emphasis. It became a running joke among the class, that every poem we were given to read was really about sex.

I'd imagine, Miss DuBois would be similar to that teacher. Reading sex into everything.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2020 4:51 PM

R3 I had several teachers like this. French education.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2020 4:55 PM

She would be a delusional cougar on the prowl who fucks around and spread syphilis like a wildfire.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2020 4:59 PM

She'd volunteer to chaperone at all of the school dances.

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2020 5:12 PM

For extra money she'd agree to direct the Christmas pageant and the senior class play. Then she'd have cast parties at her apartment at the Tarantula Arms that would raise eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2020 2:17 PM

I love it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2020 2:18 PM

If it was Tallulah Bankhead as Blanche, she'd be befuddled by the PTA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2020 2:31 PM

Darling I LOATHE parents!

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2020 2:37 PM

Tallu's Blanche...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2020 2:41 PM

Always wondered what this was like. Was her voice deeper than Stanley's?

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2020 2:43 PM

"Let's just keep this little welcome coital deliciousness between us, darling!" Blanche says to the 13-year-old boy who just transferred from Texas.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2020 2:44 PM

Whatever the 1940s version of Judy Blume was.

God, I hated those Judy Blume books in the 1970s!

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2020 2:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!