Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Princess Diana's Brother in the Crown: "A Lot of Conjecture and Invention"

I never quite liked him. After her death he seemed like he sided more with the Royal Family than his own sister; or that he didn't want to ruffle their feathers by criticizing them, Charles particularly, publicly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13Last Saturday at 8:29 PM

What specifically has been fabricated? DL historians chime in.

by Anonymousreply 1Last Saturday at 6:50 PM

I loved his eulogy....he definitely threw shade at the Royal Family...

this is how he ended it, strong:

[italic] I would like to end by thanking God for the small mercies he has shown us at this dreadful time. For taking Diana at her most beautiful and radiant and when she had joy in her private life. Above all we give thanks for the life of a woman I am so proud to be able to call my sister, the unique, the complex, the extraordinary and irreplaceable Diana whose beauty, both internal and external, will never be extinguished from our minds. [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 2Last Saturday at 7:01 PM

I don't think that was true about her having joy in her private life. Dodhi Fayed was just a prop to make the doctor she really loved jealous and take her back. Sadly I think she died unhappy.

by Anonymousreply 3Last Saturday at 7:03 PM

WTF, OP?! You’ve got this ass backward about Diana’s brother. I didn’t agree with him at all, but, although in life he was not close to Diana, in death he was her biggest partisan.

by Anonymousreply 4Last Saturday at 7:06 PM

[Quote]"They assume, especially foreigners, I find Americans tell me they have watched The Crown as if they have taken a history lesson. Well, they haven't." --The Earl Spencer

His pointed reference to Americans ruffled me. Reminds me that other than Netflix fodder, I really have no use for nobility, from the lowest Earl to the highest Crown.

PS: His 56 years have not been kind to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5Last Saturday at 7:18 PM

R3 I agree with you. Diana remained in love with the Pakistani surgeon and Dodi was just a game to make him jealous.

by Anonymousreply 6Last Saturday at 7:19 PM

Not sure what he's bitching about , she doesn't come across THAT badly in the show

by Anonymousreply 7Last Saturday at 7:23 PM

I think it's telling that William and Harry don't have much to do with him.

by Anonymousreply 8Last Saturday at 7:31 PM

I think they have much more to do with Diana's sisters, Sarah and Jane, than they do with the Earl Spencer.

He's an interesting guy. He's been very strategic in remaking Althorp more tourist friendly by putting lots of Diana exhibits on there (and also changing its pronunciation to the way the word looks rather than its pronunciation before he became early, [italic]AL-trip.[/italic]) And he's written several popular books on seventeenth-century history.

On the other hand, he's been married multiple times and has several children by each wife. And he's supposedly a terrible husband. My overall sense is that he's a bit of a con artist. He spoke at Diana's funeral of caring for William and Harry (which was a grossly insensitive play to the cameras, given that their father was still living and now had legal custody of them), and then had little to do with them, staying in South Africa.

by Anonymousreply 9Last Saturday at 7:57 PM

His family is now being brought up on charges that they sold Diana stories for money. Of course they hate this. They’re in deep shit because of the renewed interest.

by Anonymousreply 10Last Saturday at 8:00 PM

It’s interesting that Diana and her brother were the most affected by their parents divorce. At least publicly. He and Diana were at odds when she died because she wanted a particular cottage on the family estate and he said, no you can have another one but not that one. I think the one she wanted was more visible and the last thing Charles Spencer wanted was a bunch of reporters sneaking around. The great thing about siblings is that no matter how rich and famous you become, your siblings will always tell you when you are being a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 11Last Saturday at 8:09 PM

If he wanted to make headlines, he could tell the world where she is REALLY buried.

by Anonymousreply 12Last Saturday at 8:11 PM

Didn’t she give birth during an alien invasion? Some kook in another thread said something like that.

by Anonymousreply 13Last Saturday at 8:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!