Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Madonna mock Sinead O’Connor on SNL?

Shouldn’t she have supported her since they both offended Catholics?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 29, 2021 1:32 AM

who and who?

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2020 10:27 PM

Madonna's Vogue lost to Sinead's winning Nothing Compares to You at the MTV Awards.

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2020 10:28 PM

Because she didn't have a mustache.

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2020 10:29 PM

When it comes to taking actual stances, Madonna is a pussy. All of her controversies have been manipulated by her PR team. Sinead created REAL controversy among the populace.

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2020 10:45 PM

“Madonna, in an abusive way toward me, said that I was about as sexy as a venetian blind — the woman that America looks up to as a campaigner for women, slagging off another woman for not being sexy.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2020 10:27 AM

Well everyone who accused Sinead of being batshit bonkers, who was right about the Catholic Church? She accused Prince of constant drug use. How was it that Prince died? She said he was a disaster to work with which even Madonna now admits was accurate as well as someone who I’d never heard her once mention ever, Kate Bush. You want to talk jealousy and this is far beyond winning awards. She proudly has expressed her admiration for the likes of Björk, PJ Harvey and the Cocteau Twins but with Kate Bush I notice you can hear a pin drop and not the same pin you pull out for fans of the Dreaming ;) I could totally see fumes come out when she sees or hears mention of Kate Bush. The timeline of their success or acclaim in Kates case and age I think are what the major difference between her jealousy and the admiration she had of the aforementioned. Sinead fell victim to her own controversies so I think she knew she had no competition with her in the long run which is pretty accurate.

by Anonymousreply 6May 28, 2021 6:13 AM

Madonna had to do Japanese commercials for money in the 90s. Sinead had hits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 28, 2021 6:15 AM

Madonna mocking Sinead was ridiculous. Madonna was being called a slut and a whore almost daily because of the Sex book and then she has the audacity to trash Sinead. Madonna has never been pro-women. She was pissed that Sinead's SNL appearance was taking attention away from her lame Sex book.

Sinead was actually standing for something. I knew exactly what Sinead was addressing during the SNL appearance because in the liner notes for her album at the time, Am I Not Your Girl?, she had a long rant about the church and abuse.

Sinead pretty much ended her career that night but she was right. She may be nuts, but she had the courage to expose the church and how they covered sex abuse.

For once, Sinead actually deserves to be called "stunning and brave".

Madonna has never been stunning nor brave. As always, she responded by mocking and putting someone down because that's all she knows what to do.

by Anonymousreply 8May 28, 2021 6:21 AM

Sinead's mental illness is some serious shit, and it looks like she is cycling again.

While a stopped clock is right twice, that means nothing in the long run and her accusations, only to later be rescinded when she is back on her medication, mean little.

At least Britters has people looking over her (to what degree and reasons are for another thread, but since her conservatorship, she hasn't tried to kill her kid(s) or herself recently), Sinead appears to be very much on her own, and that must be quite scary.

by Anonymousreply 9May 28, 2021 6:22 AM

Sinead shaved her head, stood at the mike, sang, and was beautiful without trying (seemed so, at least). Sinead’s voice was like a bell, gave you goose bumps, brought tears to the eyes, and made you feel something.

Madonna’s music, I admit I liked it a lot. But Sinead had star power as well and I think Madonna was jealous.

For all Madonna’s cross imagery and irreverence, she never articulated a specific complaint about the Catholic church. Was it all just for shock value?

by Anonymousreply 10May 28, 2021 6:42 AM

R10 Yes.

by Anonymousreply 11May 28, 2021 6:44 AM

Madonna mocked Sinead because she's an insecure hypocrite and phony. Madonna got upset because Sinead created a real controversy with a real message and substance behind it. All of Madonna's controversies are calculated for PR and there's really no sincerity behind any of it. Just shock value to promote her edgy image. Sinead, while mentally ill, was deeply hurt by the sex abuse going on in Catholic Church. She ripped that photo of the Pope to make a point about the blatant religious hypocrisy among the Church and the silencing of child sex abuse victims. Madonna is a huge hypocrite because she actually said Sinead's act was offensive. The same Madonna who made a career provoking devout Catholics with the "Like A Prayer" video and recently participating in the Catholic-themed Meta Gala. Madonna herself was a victim of sexual abuse, so she should have understood what Sinead was trying to say and accomplish. It just shows you how petty she really is that she had to put down another woman for using her platform to speak on a serious issue.

by Anonymousreply 12May 28, 2021 6:44 AM

Sinead was correct. Madonna's reaction was disgusting

by Anonymousreply 13May 28, 2021 6:49 AM

Say what you want about either, nowadays it feels like Lavato and Kaepernick are cheap cosplay knockoffs of both in some way. At least Madge has strings of hits and even her biggest haters have a least one guilty pleasure. I can’t name a single Demi Lavato song even if my life depended on it. Sinead, those first two albums alone were flat out masterpieces even if you think she’s got too many issues. She didn’t gain any sponsorship from Nike or paid millions just to stay silent. She didn’t play and manipulate people and get away with sainthood status in the process with martyr money flying at her nonstop.

by Anonymousreply 14May 28, 2021 8:41 AM

I agree r12 and I would bet Madonna also calculated that mocking Sinead would get her more positive press than ignoring her or agreeing with her. I'm sure she sat down with a whole team trying to figure out how to capitalize on someone else's publicity, and may have even assumed Sinead was just doing this as a PR ploy.

by Anonymousreply 15May 28, 2021 8:44 AM

DL: Why won't Madonna go away?

DL: Here. I'm going to start this 86,473rd thread about Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 16May 28, 2021 9:39 AM

In his book, brother Christopher Cicconne's NAILS it — describing Madonna's WORST ability: Telling jokes. Whomever at SNL egged on Madonna to rip up the Joey Buttafuoco photo, "Fight the real enemy" must've hated Madonna. Especially to set Madonna up for such a lame punchline on live-TV. NOTHING — not even Madonna — COMPARES TO SINEAD!

by Anonymousreply 17May 28, 2021 10:59 AM

Well there’s that vs. now with 25 laughfree years of “Goodburger.” And just her look these days is a lot more comical than watching Rerun 2.0 strike out again and again. At this point we can only hope for more actual reruns from that era.

by Anonymousreply 18May 28, 2021 12:42 PM

Just because Sinead is nuts doesn’t mean she can’t make astute observations. She was so beautiful when young, and that voice! I am sure there were some musicians/celebrities who envied her.

by Anonymousreply 19May 28, 2021 5:00 PM

[quote]For all Madonna’s cross imagery and irreverence, she never articulated a specific complaint about the Catholic church.

Yes she has. Madonna has been very critical of the Catholic church patriarchy, its treatment of women, attitude towards sex, etc.

by Anonymousreply 20May 28, 2021 5:16 PM

Madonna. She's been in the Tired Hall of Fame so long that they need a new category for her....Formerly Living? Actively Dead?

by Anonymousreply 21May 28, 2021 5:23 PM

“I can eat my dinner in a fancy restaurant!” 🎵

by Anonymousreply 22May 28, 2021 6:00 PM

Madonna knew no stunt she could ever do (including selling pictures of her bush) could ever top Sinead. She was seething with jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 23May 28, 2021 6:05 PM

Madonna, for all her supposed work as a trendsetter, etc. was, is and always will be a poseur follower who follows whatever way the wind blows.

THAT is why she jumped on the already sizeable pile on over Sinead.

by Anonymousreply 24May 28, 2021 6:11 PM

Sinead was naturally pretty and a great singer. I can see why Madonna was jealous. Madonna threw shade at Whitney too for similar reasons. Madonna accomplished a lot and had a career most would die for yet she still needed to put others down.

by Anonymousreply 25May 29, 2021 1:02 AM

Both doe-eyed, Ingrid Casares looks Sinead — with hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 29, 2021 1:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!