Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you believe organic food really tastes better?

I rarely buy organic food because I can’t afford it, but I recently bought organic carrots because it was all they had at the store and they didn’t taste any better than the carrots I usually buy.

Is this usually the case with organic food?

by Anonymousreply 79December 17, 2020 5:23 AM

No, I just want to support sustainable farming practices.

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2020 10:26 PM

Organic food is a scam. Just wash your produce

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2020 10:28 PM

R1 Organic farming isn't more sustainable because it requires more land and as a result, it may contribute more to global warming.

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2020 10:30 PM

Yes, the apples, carrots, sugarsnaps, roman lettuce etc. I got from my mother's garden tasted 10 times better than anything I bought from any shop.

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2020 10:34 PM

R4 They don't taste better because they're organic but because they're super fresh and local. Different discussion.

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2020 10:36 PM

R5 Our organic is not local, you must live in California, I suspect the organic in our stores is just regular marked up in price. It looks exactly like all the rest even though they say to accept a few blemishes, I never find any blemishes. I wish someone would test random samples of organic produce from all over, I bet it is covered in the same pesticides as regular produce.

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2020 10:41 PM

Yes they do taste better. Apples, carrots can be stored for a week in the fridge bottom drawer and they still taste better than what I buy in shops.

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2020 10:47 PM

Before the pandemic, my roommate would go buy dairy products and whatever veggies and fruit were in season out here in the countryside from the peasants that would grow it. They tasted and looked a whole lot different than what I was buying at Whole Foods. The carrots actually added a strong sweet and root taste to the food, as did the parsnips and even the salad had a perfume. The eggs where a dark yellow and a the dairy was creamier. Also, everything is smaller and somehow more compact and colorful but with blemishes.

In any case, I don't know if organic is worth it.

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2020 10:47 PM

If you are talking Whole Foods type then NO! You are wasting your money. I know this is going to piss off Gen Z and Millennial but they are victims of marketing by pledging their allegiance to this store. Yet they still keep spending all their money on that Republican owned chain that supports Trump and his anti environment changes to the law. Talk about working against your own interest.

Everything I have tried there tastes worse than what I can get for half the price at a regular market except for their fresh baked bread.

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2020 10:50 PM

I don't like organic apples, I only buy non-organic For some reason organic apples don't taste as good to me.

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2020 10:52 PM

Whole was caught flying in tomatoes from Israel, that's really sustainable, you mean there were NO tomatoes to be found in the USA or even Mexico?

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2020 10:55 PM

I don't think organic tastes better but I do buy organic when it comes to fruits and vegetables on the "Dirty Dozen" list. The items on this list are the most heavily sprayed AND have thin skins which allows the pesticide to absorb, no amount of washing will help.

I thought I was allergic to strawberries for years. Turns out strawberries are on the top of the Dirty Dozen List every year because they are very heavily sprayed. I can eat organic strawberries just fine, it was the pesticide I was reacting to with the conventional strawberries.

For example, you don't need to buy organic bananas or avocados, they aren't heavily sprayed and they have thick skins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2020 11:10 PM

The ORGANIC strawberries probably are just the same old sprayed ones, but the placebo effect is is real.

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2020 11:35 PM

That's ridiculous. Don't you know what "organic" means?

To answer the OP, yes, some things do taste much better. Oranges, for example. But organically bananas are worse than the others, for some reason. They have a strange texture.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2020 11:38 PM

"organically grown" bananas, I meant.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2020 12:44 AM

If you eat it, non-battery raised and slaughtered free range meat and poultry tastes much, much better.

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2020 12:50 AM

Organic tastes better because it tastes [italic]cleaner[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2020 12:51 AM

Interesting opinions so far.

Nobody has mentioned meat other than R16. I’d like to hear about that as well.

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2020 2:49 AM

Organic food often DOESN'T taste better. A lot of the "additives" used actually enhance taste. Similarly, organic food often spoils quicker.

The key to taste, usually, is freshness - as others here have noted.

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2020 4:34 AM

Of course it's all an opinion like assholes everyone's got one. I think people THINK it's better because its organic but all organic means is grown without pesticides and that shouldn't change the flavor. Please post some research that it tastes better or is more nutritious, and not from the University of Zimbabwe.

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2020 4:51 AM

[quote]If you eat it, non-battery raised and slaughtered free range meat and poultry tastes much, much better.

Not if you live in China where literally torturing an animal before you kill it is thought to release stress hormones making it taste better. That's why I cant buy the argument that some make about respecting Chinese medicine. Both are based on myths and legend with ZERO science to back it up. Funny, they can build rockets that go into outer space, but cant prove their tiger penis, shark fin soup, or ground up seahorses to improve limp dick have any medicinal purpose.

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2020 5:56 AM

R21 - Chinese medicine is not accredited by the West but that doesn't mean it is not effective or good. My late partner made a hobby of this and, before his death, it helped him a lot. Obviously as an ob-gyn he had no competition from them, but said a lot of the herbs used are really full.of chemicals that address the same issues Western medication does but the drug companies and the West don't want the competition. He took me to a Chinese doctor for my colitis and I was SUPER skeptical and I kid you not, after one session and one round of the most vile tasting concoction I have ever smelled of ingested, I was not only better but much stronger. It was amazing.

The West prevented medical study for a millennia due to church rule but not Asia...hence, their medicine progressed while we stagnated. However, these days in LA it is hard to find a serious practitioner with 15 years of study.

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2020 8:05 AM

I don't buy organic because I think it tastes better. I buy organic -- especially for my kids -- because I don't want to poison them with Roundup, organochlorines (banned in the EU, but ubiquitous in the US) and all the other toxic shit that ALL standard commercially grown produce is full of.

And that goes double for animal-based foods like milk and meat, which in addition to the above are also full of the hormones and residual antibiotics the animals get pumped full of.

Organic food doesn't taste any better IMO, but at least it won't give me cancer or contribute to rampant antibiotic resistance.

by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2020 8:34 AM

Grass fed beef and eggs and meat from humane raised chicken definitely tastes better. The rest is drenched in antibiotics and they're just fed soy, which is an estrogen mimic that causes endocrine disorders.

by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2020 8:38 AM

R24 - so essentially that may explain why so many American people are overweight and particularly females who have less testosterone. Since my sister cut out animal products except organic 2 times a week, her weight loss has been far more dramatic that anything the gym could do and we still Zoom and have a couple of drinks and cook a few times a week. I need that will power.

by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2020 9:15 PM

No. Another vote for the freshness that comes from local sourcing in season.

Organic seems a high horse for the same bunch that think that harping to waiters and waitresses about plastic soda straws and turtles will save the fucking world.

by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2020 9:49 PM

Penn and Teller did a "Bullshit" episode on this. They did taste tests where they didn't tell anyone which item was GMO and which was Organic. The people claiming organic tastes better chose the GMO as better tasting every time.

by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2020 10:08 PM

And organic has more pesticides than GMO crops.

by Anonymousreply 28November 22, 2020 10:09 PM

I remember John Stossell on 20/20 doing some test where they gave people organic and regular vegetables to compare and they couldn't tell the difference.

by Anonymousreply 29November 22, 2020 11:56 PM

Tell me were the hell is local in season? We have no local vegetables in the summer,it's not everybody lives in California, in fact most people do not live in California. The fresh veg we get at the store is often limp and dried out. Picked three weeks ago yep in California and flown in.

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2020 12:05 AM

This thread has been great.

R27 that is fucking hilarious! Glad I haven’t been wasting money on overpriced “organic” shit.

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2020 12:33 AM

NPR years ago had a piece exploring whether poultry factory farm eggs, organic eggs, or free range organic eggs were better. They had various food experts and foodies and rich bored women who kept a few hens at their place in Litchfield all trumpeting the deliciousness of fresh free range organic eggs. "Of course you can taste the difference!"

Except that they couldn't. A blind taste test by some of those interviewed reflected the finger of a more controlled university research project showed that tasters could not detect distinct differences and were left to choose among eggs that did not taste significantly different. A small majority 60% or so favored the factory farm eggs, but more tellingly the tasters had a difficult time sorting out the best and worst.

Other taste tests since seem to show the same. The only difference was in the color of the eggs.

It's human nature to think that the eggs that your lovely neighbor with the picture perfect gentleman's farm and the hens as pretty and pedigreed as Martha Stewart's are special. But there's not much evidence of that idea holding up to a taste test.

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2020 8:08 AM

In the supper and fall I buy from farmer's markets fruits & veggies that are locally grown. They are not organic for the most part and they sometimes taste better. It is because they are fresher or a variety that hasn't been bred for transportation in a way that sacrifices flavor. Organic is a scam.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2020 10:32 AM

Not that I've ever noticed. It may, in some cases, be better for the environment overall, particularly if it's local. Better taste may be had at a local farmers market, but those can be hard on a broke bitch.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2020 10:50 AM

Bullshit, r28. But you know that.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2020 11:13 AM

Again, choosing organic food is not about tasting better; no one would seriously make that argument. Home-grown or farm-to-table --organic or not -- will always taste better than other types of food because freshness, and picking at the peak of ripeness, matters most to taste.

Some people choose organic food because they want to support eco-friendly agriculture; that's a worthy cause.

But the most important, and undeniable, benefit of organic food is simply that it won't poison you with the antibiotics, artificial hormones, and pesticides that standard food production is full of. Most people can't even imagine the amount of chemicals contained in industrially produced produce and animal products.

The explosion in chemical additives and substitutes in our food supply is the main reason for the increase in allergies and food intolerances over the past 50 years, IMO, and one of the main contributors to rise in obesity, metabolic disorders and cancer. Sure, the links are hard to prove (see smoking), and that's why big agriculture can successfully lobby agains restrictions on chemical usage, but common sense should suffice for consumers to realize what's up.

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2020 11:21 AM

Whether organic or not, produce purchased in a grocery store is at least a week old and sometimes several more. The supply chain does all sorts of things to lengthen shelf life to the detriment of flavor. Sometimes fruit is picked when not quite ripe and then gassed to achieve a certain color. Some produce is submerged in water or flash chilled to inhibit further ripening. There are too many techniques used to list. Some techniques make non-organic produce taste better. For example, produce wax (which I hate) helps non-organic apples retain moisture and flavor.

Whether organic or not, mass-produced produce is always inferior because flavor is least important factor. Ease of growth, speed-to-market, produce size, etc. all outweigh flavor because flavor is not the highest consideration when the public purchases produce. The public purchases the big, red tomato and thinks they've gotten a good deal. They barely notice how flavorless it is.

The difference in flavor is how produce is grown and how quickly you get it from the land to the table. Produce purchased from the local farm stand, in season, blemishes and all, is loads better than anything in the store. (Be careful about famers "markets" - they often sell just resell produce from the same distributors grocers use.) Produce from your backyard is phenomenal. It may be smaller and not perfect looking, but the taste can be mind blowing. Flavor begins diminishing for most produce the minute it is harvested. Eating produce within minutes of picking it, produce that is truly ripe (not made to appear ripe, such as what you find in stores) is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2020 12:26 PM

organic meat, yes, but not the veggies. but that isn't the point, OP

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2020 12:31 PM

R32, did the study truly provide free-range eggs as a choice, or did they offer mass-produced "free range" eggs? Those "free-range" outfits have been uncovered as a bit of a scam. They treat their hens a bit better but they are not truly free range. Their hens do not live off the land, they merely get a short amount of time to run in the yard. Plus, they include spices such as paprika, to their feed so that their yolk appear darker. So, if they used those eggs, it's no wonder that their is no difference in taste.

Eggs from hens that are allowed to get most of their intake from scavenging - worms and the like - produce tastier eggs. Better input - better output. They're smaller, but they actually have flavor.

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2020 12:36 PM

R39 i'm not the one you wrote to. However, I have seen multiple studies and people can never tell. I have raised poultry a long time (free range except nights) and only noticed a difference in health of the actual birds -- NOT the eggs themselves.

If you really want "better eggs" you'll find it by species, not them being "free range". Eat duck eggs if it's about health and getting more for your buck.

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2020 1:12 PM

Organic tomatoes taste amazing. You finally understand why it's considered a fruit

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2020 1:18 PM

Here you go, r35.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 25, 2020 11:54 PM

Also, on the Bullshit episode, they took a GMO banana, cut it in half and put it on two plates. They told the tasters one was organic and one was GMO. The testers actually said they could taste a difference between the two even though they were the same banana.

"Organic" food Nazi's are in a cult and don't realize it.

by Anonymousreply 43November 25, 2020 11:56 PM

R39 and R40: People buy free-range eggs to feel good. They like to think the hens are freer and that the eggs taste better. There is also a strong snob appeal aspect; in fact, I’d say that’s the single most important message. It says, “Look, I care about the welfare of those poor chickens. Oh, and by the way, I can afford the extra $3/dozen for ‘organic, free-range eggs’.”

This goes triple for pasture-raised eggs (which do taste better, but not really that much better, especially if you’re using the eggs as an ingredient in cooking). “Look at me! I’m buying eggs that cost $7/dozen! Not only are my politics and my taste infinitely superior to yours, but I have more money, too. Ha ha! You’re a deplorable!”

by Anonymousreply 44November 26, 2020 12:07 AM

Organic grass fed beef tastes better to me than typical feedlot American beef. Though much leaner, most organic chicken tastes better to me as well. As regards produce, tomatoes are the only item I think tastes better, otherwise I choose the organic wherever and whenever I can to avoid pesticides like Glyphosate. I'd rather skip beef or chicken that has been fed GMO soy and corn, and the accumulated Glyphosate, in favour of a vegetarian meal myself.

When I don't buy Irish butter, I buy organic as well.

by Anonymousreply 45November 26, 2020 12:35 AM

The cult is happy to have you and your money, r45.

by Anonymousreply 46November 26, 2020 6:20 AM

I don't find any different at all with produce and will buy either organic or non-organic, whichever looks better and fresher. I think free-range chicken has more flavor than factory chicken, but, unlike R45, I don't like grass-fed beef. It's too lean. I find the regular beef has more marbling and is thus more tender. I'm talking about steaks here. Ground beef - I don't care. I buy ordinary supermarket ground beef.

by Anonymousreply 47November 26, 2020 9:13 AM

^^^ "difference" not "different"

by Anonymousreply 48November 26, 2020 9:14 AM

R46 Funny you think people who wish to avoid growth hormones, antibiotics, Ractopamine, and other feed additives as cult members. You go on with your conventional feedlot meats, and your Glyphosate marinated crops... I'm sure big Ag and the Agro-Chemical and Big Pharma people love having your money.

I always single out the smug posters like yourself. I answered OP's question...and honestly as regards taste. I didn't put anyone down. Next time you have an opinion to give, don't give it as a direct reply to another poster with bullshit on top. You're simply another sad little nutter here who enjoys arguing with EVERYONE, over EVERYTHING, and you're always right of course.

by Anonymousreply 49November 28, 2020 1:55 AM

Organic milk definitely tastes better, so do eggs. I only buy organic milk or goat's milk.

Organic chicken doesn't seem meaty enough.

When I was a real health nut here in London and even a vegan for a while, the chemicals and preservatives in the food in America made me feel ill.

Someone advised me, you've got to eat some crap or you'll be too sensitive. So I did and I do.

by Anonymousreply 50November 28, 2020 2:20 AM

Things that are not over-farmed always taste better. When I was a kid in New England, we had an honor farm up the road. We went 2-4 times a week and left money in the coffee can "register." In the summer we ate like vegetarians - a plate with giant raw tomatoes with a little salt and pepper and basil and sometimes some homemade mayo, some steamed green beans and maybe something like zucchini on the grill. Sometimes we had some grilled chicken but usually it was just vegetables and some local fruit for desert. Everything had so much flavor.

I was shocked when I moved to California how the fruit and vegetables had the taste and mouthfeel of cardboard.

by Anonymousreply 51November 28, 2020 2:48 AM

You must be new here, r49. And a straight female.

by Anonymousreply 52November 28, 2020 4:05 AM

R51 >

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 28, 2020 4:10 AM

R52 Wrong on both counts.

I could possibly expect that direct response had I claimed YES, EVERYTHING organic tastes better. It doesn't. What one person prefers when it comes to food, is subjective, and their own opinion. I'm not a cult member because I prefer the grass fed beef, or the organic chicken and pork. I gave a perfectly non-delusional response. I never claimed organic to be more nutricious, either.

Even the smell of Grade 4 Organic beef is different when cooking it. Someone would have to be illogical to claim it is going to taste the same as conventional American beef. It tastes more similar to British beef IMHO. I also find it is extremely difficult to find chicken in American supermarkets (pork chops as well) that have not been injected with "sodium solution" which contains phosphates not healthy for my kidneys. Organic chicken doesn't have these "plumpers", that's why it usually looks like Pargiyot. (baby chicken)

by Anonymousreply 54November 28, 2020 4:19 AM

[quote][R52] Wrong on both counts.

Wrong on both cunts.

by Anonymousreply 55November 28, 2020 4:26 AM

R55 You, and the others must be shills for Big Ag... I know the defence run amok from experience writing about the topic. Your type comes off the same. Even when someone admits, "No, organic doesn't always taste better"... still not good enough for you, because we still purchase organic.

You want our business, but can YOU really make the case that Glyphosate is good for us? Or that it imparts a better flavour somehow to the meat from animals ingesting it?

Can you even support an argument that conventional tastes better? You can't, so troll elsewhere. I still only detect a superior taste difference with tomatoes, unlike other produce items, but I'm still not purchasing conventional when organic is available.

by Anonymousreply 56November 28, 2020 4:33 AM

[quote][R55] You, and the others must be shills for Big Ag

No, I was just playing with words.

by Anonymousreply 57November 28, 2020 4:41 AM

R57 Well, sorry, but mistaken identity happens when others pile on in the middle of a volley. It's ridiculous for any of them to be hard selling conventional to those who prefer the taste, and can afford the organic.

Live and let each live their own way. Cult member accusations are for Tories, American Republicans, Trumpers, and Scientologists, not those consumers buying what they prefer the tasate of.

Australian and New Zealand lamb is the best the world has to offer as well. There are no American contenders, let alone even conventional runners up.

by Anonymousreply 58November 28, 2020 4:49 AM

I see the cult members do not approve when they are called out for being in the cult..which is so indictive of a cult it's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 59December 15, 2020 9:33 AM

Freshness is essential, that makes all the difference. I need no glyphosate in my body and thus choose organic for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 60December 15, 2020 10:02 AM

Organic farms self regulate, I kid you not, the government does not do any tests on soil or produce or meat, what could go wrong? All they look at is paperwork, they just take the farms word on it.

You’re essentially paying your policing body to certify you,” said Popoff. “You can see if they decertify you, well, they’re not going to get their $3,000 out of you next year, and by the way, that could be $30,000 upfront. It depends on the size of your operation.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 15, 2020 3:28 PM

I buy organic and local, when possible (I live in central TX, which helps) because it helps smaller farmers and I’m down with that. I don’t notice a difference in taste but helping prices go down and, yes, the symbolism can both be important.

by Anonymousreply 62December 15, 2020 3:50 PM

Most of the time, it does. Especially for dairy and meat. But for vegetables, if you buy from a local grocer they are fine.

by Anonymousreply 63December 15, 2020 4:50 PM

It also makes a big difference what cultivar of fruit or vegetable you're eating. Heirloom tomatoes are full of flavor. Grocery-store tomatoes developed for transportation and to last a few weeks have little taste.

by Anonymousreply 64December 15, 2020 5:22 PM

Organic bananas not only taste better than conventional but last longer too.

Organic avocados taste about the same.

Once you have organic Romaine lettuce, that other limp shit will no longer do.

by Anonymousreply 65December 15, 2020 6:06 PM

Organic romaine from my supermarket tastes exactly the same as the regular romaine, which is not limp (and also not shit). Where are you shopping that the non-organic romaine is limp? The celery, too, is exactly the same whether organic or regular, and it tastes like celery. Whether it's great or not depends how much you like celery.

As with all produce, I buy whichever looks better and fresher, which is by no means always the organic stuff.

by Anonymousreply 66December 15, 2020 10:51 PM

Organic bananas from Costa Rica, are you kidding me, or organic tomatoes from Mexico?!!! Do you really spend your money on that crap? There's a sucker born every minute. There are pesticides in all organic produce because they just put conventional produce in the organic bin and raise the price. People are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 67December 16, 2020 4:56 AM

I can only assume R67 lives in the US, some countries have standards and protections.

by Anonymousreply 68December 16, 2020 5:20 AM

A lot of people on here are apparently unaware that Organic is a legal designation and anyone claiming to have an organic farm must be inspected and the produce tested before receiving the designation. A person can't just arrive at the local grocery store with a truck full of produce and announce that it is organic and should be sold as such.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 16, 2020 5:23 AM

Not sure why everyone thinks CA has the best fresh food all year—my local major grocery store has terrible soft produce from cucumbers to strawberries going bad within DAYS in the fridge. In fact, I just bought a cucumber early last week, and 4 days later it was so soft I questioned whether it was even okay to eat. Oddly, the best crisp lettuce Ive had this entire year was in the Midwest—crisp and cheap.

That said, CA has a lot of good local options for grape tomatoes and other things if the timing is right. We pay up the ass for food, even if it’s not organic so because I’m cheap, I pick and choose what I buy organic vs. local vs. “regular” (which is also probably local but bland). I also shop Trader Joe’s for a few specialty items.

I do support

by Anonymousreply 70December 16, 2020 6:18 AM

[quote]....but all organic means is grown without pesticides...

BwaHAHAHA!

Nope, not at all. You've done zero research outside of Mommyblogs, that is not at all what "organic" means. Organic produce uses LOTS of pesticides, often actual shit (manure) and petroleum-based pesticides which produce river-killing runoff!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 16, 2020 6:55 AM

[quote] Organic food is a scam. Just wash your produce

🙄

My aunt runs a small organic farm and she uses only two very low risk pesticides on a couple of things. Farming has required chemicals since agriculture was invented, that's not the issue, the problem is the components in pesticides forced on people by regulators and the market itself.

Organic is more than family farming, it has a lot to do with the seeds being used, which is what makes the difference in taste and nutrients.

Monsanto/Bayer dominates the market with seeds that are not only genetically modified to make food look bigger and last longer but also to compromise nutrients as a result, not to mention you can't even stock some seeds because its an infringement of their patent.

The heirloom tomato craze had a reason back in the day, one that they tasted like tomatoes while Monsanto had manipulated so much its seeds that their tomatoes had no flavor at all.

by Anonymousreply 72December 16, 2020 7:29 AM

Real organic tastes better but most organic is just a branding thing so there's no difference.

by Anonymousreply 73December 16, 2020 7:41 AM

I'm not even familiar with the concept that organic food tastes better. In my experience, it often does not taste as good, and that can be due in part to non-organic and genetically manipulated foods being bred to improve taste.

Organic produce has more to do with not poisoning the water supply and our bodies with herbicides and pesticides, or in the case of livestock with antibiotics and hormones. It's about human and environmental health and about treating animals and plants humanely.

From the FDA:

[quote] "Produce can be called organic if it’s certified to have grown on soil that had no prohibited substances applied for three years prior to harvest. Prohibited substances include most synthetic fertilizers and pesticides. In instances when a grower has to use a synthetic substance to achieve a specific purpose, the substance must first be approved according to criteria that examine its effects on human health and the environment (see other considerations in “Organic 101: Allowed and Prohibited Substances”).

[quote] "As for organic meat, regulations require that animals are raised in living conditions accommodating their natural behaviors (like the ability to graze on pasture), fed 100% organic feed and forage, and not administered antibiotics or hormones."

So organic food is not just a marketing gimmick, but it also is not intended to make your taste buds sizzle. It's about health.

We eat A LOT of toxins in our foods. Animals are fed huge amounts of antibiotics because they are raised in unnaturally crowded conditions that promote infectious disease (Hello, Wuhan!) and also in great part because antibiotics accelerate muscle tissue growth in developing animals, getting them to market more quickly. They are bad for all of us. They promote antibiotic-resistant zoonotic microbes that hop from animals to human beings, just like the novel coronavirus.

GMO plants are bred in great part to be naturally pest resistant. That's great, right? It prevents the use of pesticides. Except that doing that has caused pests that munch on plants to die off, allowing weeds to grow out of control--which means GMO plants we eat are saturated in herbicides. RoundUp/glyphosate is a "probable human carcinogen" and a neurotoxin and it's in a huge amount of non-organic produce and has even found its way into some organic produce.

The FDA conducted a years-long study investigating food contamination and it found that Cheerios and other oat products were contaminated with glyphosate, which was particularly notable because oats are not grown using this toxic weedkiller, and that means that the chemical somehow finds its way into foods even when the chemical is not used on them. The FDA abruptly discontinued its study when this finding came out, presumably due to pressure from Bayer-Monsanto, the company that both licenses GMO produce seeds and sells the RoundUp weedkiller (and potential humankiller) needed to use on the GMO plants when they are grown.

From Human Rights Watch: "Glyphosate has been or will be banned in at least 10 jurisdictions, including Germany, Saudi Arabia, and Vietnam, and at least 15 additional countries restrict its use. The World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer formally classifies glyphosate as a 'probable carcinogen.'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 16, 2020 8:08 AM

GMO crops are totally banned in Germany, France, Italy, Austria, Greece, Poland, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Belgium, among others. Also banning GMOs are Algeria and Madagascar in Africa; Turkey, Kyrgyzstan, Bhutan and Saudi Arabia in Asia; and Belize, Peru, Ecuador and Venezuela because of unknown potential health risks.

In the US, GMO crops have been assumed to be safe since 1996 specifically because there are so many obstacles to researching their long-term safety. The US position is that because little evidence of harm exists, there is no harm. The broad European position is that prohibiting research so that no incriminating evidence can be found is not equivalent to proven safety.

If you're buying organic food just because of taste and you don't care about your health or environmental health or about animal welfare, then you should buy chemically enhanced food, as much of it is modified specifically to activate your sense of taste. If you care about other things more, then buy organic.

by Anonymousreply 75December 16, 2020 8:08 AM

R22 = Placebo Effect.

You really think no one would jump on those "secret Chinese" herbs if they could prove they really worked and give up the chance to make billions of dollars just to protect some conspiracy theory about western medicine controlling the wold? LMFAO. We can't even get people to agree there's a pandemic going on.

FYI, MOST of western med is derived from plants anyway. People who spew that conspiracy theory about western medicine have no clue how it's made. They take the plant, figure out why it works, extract just that part, refine it and put it into a pill form. Where do you think Penicillin came form? It's not all just magically created from chemicals on computers. Very few are actually created out of pure theory.

by Anonymousreply 76December 16, 2020 8:21 AM

R76 Isn't that amazing re medicine? It seems that most people assume pharmaceutical drugs are whipped up in factories from chemicals that, what, exist in some pure form or are themselves created from nothing in labs? No, those chemicals are extracted by and large from plant and animal material, and in some cases from minerals.

It's because of our lack of connection with our environments, but it's really strange to me that so many people really seem to believe that chemicals, including drugs, are made out of nothing but chemicals without ever giving any thought at all to where on Earth those chemicals come from. Are they squeezed out of rocks? They cannot come from nowhere and nothing. Most come from plants, and plant medicines in their natural forms can still work well, just usually less potently and over a longer coirse of time than pharmaceutical drugs, which are highly concentrated extracts that sometimes straddle the line between medicine and poison.

Aspirin is made from white willow bark. White willow bark can be bought as a natural pain reliever, but most American people would consider that a scam because it is natural.

MDMA/ecstasy/molly is made from sassafras.

Some heart medications are made from digoxin, a chemical compound derived from digitalis, the common garden plant foxglove.

Others are made from atropine, which comes from belladonna.

And on and on and on. Many of these substances in their natural and chemically concentrated extract forms are medicines at one level and potent poisons at a higher level.

Other medications, such as hormones, are produced by animals.

My doctor told me to take a supplement called diamine oxidase, or DAO, and I was shocked when I read the label and saw that it is made from pig kidneys. Even though I know everything comes from something, I am always alarmed when I see that animals are used to make drugs.

by Anonymousreply 77December 16, 2020 8:39 AM

R27 There are no GMO tomatoes so Monsanto did not alter them in any way. There are only nine GMO crops, and no GMO wheat as many believe. Just because you saw it on Facebook does not make it true. Even the EU says that GMOs aren't bad to eat, it's the infringement you mentioned that is the reason for their ban. see the link below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 17, 2020 4:59 AM

R59 Here's another link for you to not read again, I gave one above. The USDA DOES NOT TEST SHIT on the farms. Please read the links before spouting off and making a proclamation. The farms self report and pay the certifiers themselves, kind of like fox henhouse, what possibly could go wrong?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 17, 2020 5:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!