Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is PR trolling of forums a thing?

I used to think people who alleged that PR teams are constantly monitoring forums, etc. for a celebrity’s name were wrong and kooky conspiracy theorists. But now that I have read about Google Alerts working with forum name-dropping immediately, I’m not so sure.

I’ve gossiped about a suspected closeted lesbian actor in another forum and no joke, trolls have come in within 1-2 minutes and blast me—all in the same style (one-liners and personal insults made to make the poster look stupid or delusional without addressing the evidence or arguments in my post). And these threads had been dead for hours or days before I posted. I have been using the real full names though when discussing gossip—probably not a good idea?

So tell me DLers, are PR shills alerted and trolling gay gossip threads to distract and make LGBT folks look stupid and delusional for their celebrity gay gossip in niche forums that supposedly few people pay attention to? Or is this conspiracy theory-level thinking?

by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2020 2:48 PM

[quote] So tell me DLers, are PR shills alerted and trolling gay gossip threads to distract and make LGBT folks look stupid and delusional for their celebrity gay gossip in niche forums that supposedly few people pay attention to? Or is this conspiracy theory-level thinking?

Google is your friend. You tell us.

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2020 4:39 PM

Is it because your threads smell like shit and you're called kind of quick?

It's not them, it is you.

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2020 4:41 PM

Anyone can sign up for a google alert on any name or topic whatsoever, and it alerts you to any place the mention appears: a news article, the comment section of an article, or bitch forum like this one. So, yes, I'm sure PR people have been doing this for as long as this was a feature on the internet. It's their job to know what people are saying about their client.

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2020 4:50 PM

Did you not find it odd that people were defending Jeffery Toobin toobin while on a zoom call with his New Yorker co-workers in that thread?

What sane person would defend jerking off on a zoom call? His crisis management team went in to try to gauge the temperature of the offence and when they failed, they derailed it.

The second you see anything about “anyone watching XYZ show on XYZ network? I love it!” That’s a PR thread.

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2020 4:54 PM

Yes it is OP.

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2020 4:56 PM

Only to manipulate google search results.

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2020 4:58 PM

Several years ago I posted on an all-purpose gossip thread about an aging pop star big in the 1970s, and the thread was deleted, but I didn't think it had anything to do with my gossip. It wasn't that great.

We had a second all-purpose thread pop up in its place and I eventually got around to posting the same gossip, and again, it was deleted.

I joked on a thread about the deletions that maybe it was the gossip I had about Elderly Pop Guy and that thread got deleted too and I was given a week timeout.

Lesson learned.

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2020 5:02 PM

I swear we have a new PR troll: Daniel Levy is the gay Martin Scorsese troll. A very basic, basic cable sitcom has been elevated to Shakespearean status because of this troll(s).

I haven't seen such PR hype on here since we had the "Steve Kmetko is the gay Walter Cronkite/Edgar R. Murrow rolled into one fabulous star" several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2020 5:09 PM

It's the combination of PR interns and fantards defending their client's or worshiped star's honor against "vicious" gossip that could hurt his career. Of course, some C and D list actors and directors do it themselves sometimes.

On very rare occasions celebrities start threads about themselves posting something negative hoping others come to the celeb's defense and the celeb gets an ego boost out of people still caring about him.

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2020 5:18 PM

Celebrities' PR start vicious rumors about their Oscar nominee client's competition leading up to voting. Looking at you Casey Affleck you swine.

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2020 5:30 PM

Way too many on here think if someone likes a star or a show they hate, that it must be a PR troll.

It's a big problem on all gossip forums, really; posters are full of themselves and think that their negative opinion is so important and devastating to the celebrity that they MUST be spending good money in order to save their client's reputations.

Especially on DL, a lot of the people praising certain celebrities are doing it to get an easy rise out of people. It's like the guy who kept posting that Meghan Markle was going to be sainted for her good deeds, it drove the hater trolls crazy, they to this day swear it was Meghan's own paid publicity person doing it, but it was obvious to anyone sane that it was someone who thought it was hilarious to upset the haters.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2020 5:30 PM

Charlize Theron is a cunt who pays her PR a fortune. Say anything negative about her on DM and it gets deleted. Same goes for casting couch Jennifer Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2020 5:33 PM

R12 I idly wonder how much they pay for that service.

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2020 5:37 PM

R11 that may be true as well, but I’m more curious about gay gossip being trolled right away in gay/lesbian forums where the gossip is usually more accepted and is pure speculation anyway, so it seems harmless. This has happened to me twice and very immediately when posting responses in different threads (about two different people) but I was posting about the same person.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2020 5:59 PM

Around here, a lot of the immediate responses you get are probably from the trolls who are looking to start a fight on any topic. They've been really into trolling about lesbians lately. Besides, there just isn't any way someone could have an alert set up to see your reply in two minutes.

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2020 6:02 PM

Completely true about Charlize. Even when her extensive plastic surgeries are mentioned. Especially on Daily Mail . It’s bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2020 6:10 PM

We usually get a WHET thread about a forgotten celebrity right as they have a new project to promote

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2020 6:17 PM

R16: Cunt can’t take an ounce of criticism.

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2020 7:04 PM

R12---keeping an eye on your post to see when it disappears!

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2020 7:47 PM

Perhaps we could test the situation and begin a “negative” Charlize Theron post here on DL.

And see what happens.

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2020 8:00 PM

I'm sure some of them do. But most of the time they just observe (especially if it involves a crazy stan). And then there are some celebrities who have multiple accounts on social media doing God knows what....

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2020 5:06 AM

Even Boris and Natasha have their own pr companies sloothing around

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote]It's a big problem on all gossip forums, really; posters are full of themselves and think that their negative opinion is so important and devastating to the celebrity that they MUST be spending good money in order to save their client's reputations.

Many moons ago Muriel the webmaster touched base on this.

They have deleted threads here if there's going to be a legal problem at some point. (I did see a poster write lengthy death threat against a celeb once and that person was red tagged, banned and the thread was closed within a day. It was actually really scary looking back on it because while everyone in that thread was nutso that one person knew too many details.)

And yes they have gotten cease and desist letters here from celeb reps. So their people are paying attention but I doubt that's the norm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2020 2:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!