Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Your favorite non-vintage champagne?

Say, priced 20 to 80 bucks. Or will you quaff any champagne with pleasure?

Offsite Link
by Bolli darlin!reply 35Last Saturday at 4:08 PM

I only drink Champale.

by Bolli darlin!reply 1Last Saturday at 7:31 AM

Laurent Perrier Cuvee Rose

I would have it on tap if I could.

Offsite Link
by Bolli darlin!reply 2Last Saturday at 7:33 AM

Boons Farm Strawberry with a little Club Sodie is ALL the champagne I need!

by Bolli darlin!reply 3Last Saturday at 7:33 AM

You know how to live, R1!

Offsite Link
by Bolli darlin!reply 4Last Saturday at 7:33 AM

It's IMPORTED champagne!

Offsite Link
by Bolli darlin!reply 5Last Saturday at 7:37 AM

Veuve Clicquot non-vintage Champagne is one of my favorites.

Offsite Link
by Bolli darlin!reply 6Last Saturday at 7:58 AM

Moet White Star.

by Bolli darlin!reply 7Last Saturday at 8:21 AM

Prosecco (Italy’s answer) and Cava (Spain’s answer). Both under $20/bottle. In my supermarket I can sometimes get a decent cava for 8.99. Serve very chilled and it will compete with the 20-80 French ones. And by very chilled I mean put in the freezer half an hour before popping it open.

by Bolli darlin!reply 8Last Saturday at 9:03 AM

Prosecco and Cava will not give you a headache. Cheap champagne (Freixenet, Korbel, Chandon) will taste fruity/flat and will give you a wicked headache even before you pass out dehydrated.

by Bolli darlin!reply 9Last Saturday at 9:09 AM

Cava is made in the champagne method. Methode champenoise. Franciacorta is the only Italian bubbly made in the champagne method. The method is used for some bubblies in many countries. I will allow that any wine made in this method is "champagne" even though legally it is no longer "champagne". Prosecco is not made in this method.

by Bolli darlin!reply 10Last Saturday at 9:14 AM

R9 PS - Freixenet is cava so it doesn't fit your theory.

by Bolli darlin!reply 11Last Saturday at 9:15 AM

Gruet from New Mexico is like $17 a bottle and is great.

by Bolli darlin!reply 12Last Saturday at 9:17 AM

R10/r11 thank you. Learned something new today. Did not know Cava was champagne method or that Prosecco was rogue. Freixenet still sucks, so I guess I should stick to the orange Cava labels.

by Bolli darlin!reply 13Last Saturday at 9:21 AM

Cold Duck because I'm classy!

Offsite Link
by Bolli darlin!reply 14Last Saturday at 9:22 AM

I have a friend who is a Gruet aficionado.

For American bubbly (which is not champagne) I am a Roederer Estate Anderson Valley Brut Rosé Sparkling Wine guy.

Offsite Link
by Bolli darlin!reply 15Last Saturday at 9:22 AM

We buy a case of the rosé Gruet when we spend a week in Cherry Grove. It's lovely.

by Bolli darlin!reply 16Last Saturday at 9:27 AM

I second the Laurent Perrier Rose. In fact all of the Laurent Perrier range is good quality for the price. The regular Brut is excellent. I also like Perrier-Jouët Grand Brut. I also like variants in Pol Roger and Tattinger.

I think Veuve Cliquot and Moet are both very overrated. Bolli is actually OK!!

by Bolli darlin!reply 17Last Saturday at 9:31 AM

California Roederer Estate is indeed méthode champenois so it is technically champagne.

by Bolli darlin!reply 18Last Saturday at 9:35 AM

Krug or R de Ruinart are my favourites OP.

by Bolli darlin!reply 19Last Saturday at 9:37 AM

r18, There is no such thing as technically champagne. Champagne is a PDO.

by Bolli darlin!reply 20Last Saturday at 9:38 AM

R18 Interesting. So California has been successfully airlifted to the northeast of France, eh? Good to know.

by Bolli darlin!reply 21Last Saturday at 9:39 AM

R20 no. The PDO came later. And not just for champagne. For many foods and wines. That is about business. Champagne is a wine making method. So gruyere is legally only Swiss made gruyere, but other countries can made the same cheese by the same method.

You see? I'm not arguing with the new, purist definition based on the legally protected name. But champagne as a wine can be produced anywhere and be some of it is delicious.

Prosecco can be delicious, but it is not a methode champenoise wine, at all.

by Bolli darlin!reply 22Last Saturday at 9:42 AM

r21, be kind to a village idiot, he makes us all look so much better.

by Bolli darlin!reply 23Last Saturday at 9:42 AM

R21 I said Roederer is made by Méthode traditionnelle. by Method champenoise. It is champagne wine. It is not legally champagne.

by Bolli darlin!reply 24Last Saturday at 9:44 AM

When a wine snob starts talking about franciacortas and California bubblies that are fabulous, and are in the méthode, in a discussion of champagne, only a cunt would shut it down.

by Bolli darlin!reply 25Last Saturday at 9:46 AM

Wines made by the Champagne Method are sparkling wines unless they are made in the Champagne Region of France.

Even French wines, made by the Champagne Method, outside of Champagne are termed vins-mousseux.

Poor r24.

by Bolli darlin!reply 26Last Saturday at 9:49 AM

That is the legal definition I agree.

by Bolli darlin!reply 27Last Saturday at 9:50 AM

R26 Oui, désolé mon pote, R21.

by Bolli darlin!reply 28Last Saturday at 9:54 AM

^ sorry, the sorry meant for R18

by Bolli darlin!reply 29Last Saturday at 9:59 AM

r21 was delightful sarcasm.

Thank you r29

by Bolli darlin!reply 30Last Saturday at 10:02 AM

R30 Dankeschön for the shout out...

by Bolli darlin!reply 31Last Saturday at 12:28 PM

Champipple

by Bolli darlin!reply 32Last Saturday at 12:34 PM

Drappier.

Ruinart.

by Bolli darlin!reply 33Last Saturday at 12:38 PM

Moet -Chandon and Veuve Clicquot.

by Bolli darlin!reply 34Last Saturday at 1:10 PM

Champagne is only champagne when made in the Champagne region of France.

by Bolli darlin!reply 35Last Saturday at 4:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!