Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Armchair psychologists of DL: please diagnose me!

(Clearly, based on the title of this thread, I am a masochist.)

For as long as I can remember -- probably since my late teens -- I have engaged in a weird habit that has escalated over the years. (I am 37.) Every time I see a grouping of numbers, usually on barcodes, book pages, phone numbers, license plates, or digital clocks -- I ask it a question. It's usually about some future event, eg, "Will I get the job?" or else someone's inner thoughts that I could never have access to, eg, "Is the hot guy I see on the bus gay? If so, does he fantasize about me?" I usually frame it as an if-then proposition, and it usually involves adding up the sequence of numbers, although it can have other variants. Two common examples:

1. If this barcode contains a 3 and a 4, then I will die before I turn 65.

2. If the digits in this phone number add up to an odd number, then I will hear about this promotion by the end of the week.

I wouldn't say it interferes with my day-to-day life in any way, but I do it dozens of times a day, and ask the same questions hundreds of times. I would say I "believe" the answer for a few minutes before asking again. In the moment, knowing an answer quiets my anxiety.

What is this? Magical thinking? OCD? Some type of delusion?

By the way, I am formally diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but have never brought this habit up in a clinical setting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2020 3:31 PM

Do you know anyone with a 5 lb. mallet that can bonk you upside the head?

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2020 1:59 PM

Let me consult a barcode and get back to you, r1

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2020 2:00 PM

Pretty sure this would fall under obsessive compulsive disorder.

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2020 2:01 PM

isnt there a Numerology thread somewhere here?

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2020 2:03 PM

My diagnosis is - clinically retarded. Find the nearest grease fire and see if it contains any numbers.

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2020 2:09 PM

r5 made me laugh

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2020 2:10 PM

You're just a crazy goofball, OP!

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2020 2:15 PM

You have OCD. Since you type a good level of English I would guess your IQ is OK therefore the OCD is severe if a) you don't realize you have it and b) you seek advice on DL.

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2020 2:15 PM

When I was young, I used to multiply numbers and verbally speak numerical patterns out of boredom (like when I walked to school). I also use to count my foot steps in numerical sequences and multiplications.

I still do it today - I verbalize numbers when I'm just in my car, but now with monthly costs, my income, financials and retirement.

I'm rather analytical and like numbers. I think for some people, numbers can be very soothing. No, I'm not an accountant. It's just something my mind reverts to when I'm bored.

I spoke with a couple of therapists about it when I was younger - they said it wasn't that uncommon and nothing to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2020 2:16 PM

Oh we all do that, OP. Nothing to worry about. (Smile and back away very slowly.)

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2020 2:17 PM

OCD.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2020 2:17 PM

Thank you, r9

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2020 2:18 PM

Ok OP -- this is for you, I won't tell you where I got them but they are, indeed, for you.:

311-902383-458-1102

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2020 2:24 PM

r13 has dyslexia. It's 311-903283-458-1120

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2020 2:31 PM

What number combo would teach you about brevity?

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2020 2:32 PM

OCD

I have a mild version - when I drink water I count every gulp and it has to be an even number. I look for specific dates on the clock (12/25 is 12:25). Other weird shit like that.

Numbers seem to be my obvious obsessive tic.

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2020 2:34 PM

It's probably some very hidden skill that you haven't been able to bring to practicality.

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2020 2:36 PM

Just crazy and delusional. OP tries to insinuate that she's Rain Man OCD, but she is not since she isn't that highly intelligent. Seek professional help ASAP before an inner voice tells you to kill people, OP.

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2020 2:49 PM

Pray tell, r18, how I tried "to insinuate that [I'm] Rain Man OCD"

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2020 2:50 PM

Recently, whenever I’m eating candy or something otherwise countable, I have to choose a prime number’s worth of them. Also have to set TV volume at a prime number.

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2020 2:56 PM

R9 here - I will say though that you say you do this hundreds of times a day? That does seem either an exaggeration or excessive and compulsive.

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2020 2:57 PM

Your biggest problem is that you ride the bus.

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2020 3:00 PM

Yes, r21. I do it all the time. I probably don't even realize I'm going it anymore.

For example, if I walk down a hallway with numbered offices, I'll automatically start adding up the numbers.

I suppose it is compulsive.

by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2020 3:01 PM

^^ doing, not going

by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2020 3:03 PM

R9 here again - one last time - I also get a bit carried away with my health counter on my phone while exercising or the numerical display on exercise machines. I'm constantly flipping through the various numbers - steps, calories, distance, heart rate - and changing things up to see the difference and multiplying it to see how much more I need to do or other calculations.

I see people on other machines and they never toggle through the data or change the programs or change the incline or other things, it seems so odd to me. Or in my car, I'm always flipping through miles, MPG, time, distance.

I don't even think about it - I guess if I did count how many times I do this in a day, it would be substantial. But it doesn't interfere with my life - which I think is the dividing line between an obsessive compulsive behavior. If it prevents you from functioning normally and wastes time in your day, then there is a problem.

For me, it just keeps my mind busy while I'm doing a mundane task.

by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2020 3:03 PM

I consulted my number system OP. My number system advises that you are a child molester. My number system is snarky and hateful but seldom wrong.

by Anonymousreply 26November 21, 2020 3:05 PM

r25 your responses on this thread have been helpful.

I don't think it interferes with my life in any way. It may be a boredom thing. I also think I dislike the anxiety associated with not knowing and I find comfort in answers -- even if I know they have no basis in reality

by Anonymousreply 27November 21, 2020 3:09 PM

On label of some items I buy (not food), write date and store where I got it. Know how long it lasted and where to buy another. Is that OCD?

by Anonymousreply 28November 21, 2020 3:12 PM

R28, you are just highly organized, I do that too. I prefer to call it Okey-Dokey.

by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2020 3:28 PM

Insufferability. It's probably genetic, should have been diagnosed and addressed in childhood. But don't worry, it isn't contagious as you need prolonged exposure to catch it. And that's unlikely to occur.

by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2020 3:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!