Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who are your favorite nonmainstream artists?

Actress: Jessica Lange

Musician: Tori Amos

Author/Painter: David Wojnarowicz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2020 4:53 PM

Jessica Lange is pretty mainstream, OP

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2020 1:50 PM

R1 Not really. I mean, AHS definitely earned her a ton of new fans, but she’s always been more of an artist’s artist or actor’s actor. She was never and still isn’t much of a box-office draw. Her reclusiveness, I feel, had a lot to do with this.

The surge in her popularity during the ‘10s reminds one that if she had wanted to, she could have been mainstream by starring in more mainstream fare. She’s “got it,” as they say.

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2020 1:58 PM

Rock band: Catherine Wheel. A band 10000 times better than any other band of the early/mid 90s but got 1/10000th the attention of bands like Nirvana, Oasis, etc. Their first two records are excellent but the third album is half-great too. And they evevn had a great cover of Wish you were Here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2020 2:00 PM

Jessica Lange is mainstream. What are you talking about? Do you know what mainstream means?

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2020 2:02 PM

R4 :sigh: Yes! I suppose Meryl loving and praising her so makes her mainstream, but you probably weren’t a fan of hers pre-AHS. The lack of and droughts in between content was painful.

Oh wait, bitch is still hiding!

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2020 2:07 PM

[quote] she’s always been more of an artist’s artist or actor’s actor.

But she is still mainstream. She isn't underground or alternative by any means. She was in mainstream Hollywood movies for decades.

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2020 2:08 PM

OP you do not understand what mainstream is.

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2020 2:09 PM

R7 Then be useful and educate me!

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2020 2:09 PM

Jessica Lange is mainstream: cast in many studio films, female lead in a couple hits, won Oscars and Emmys, regular on a hit show.

OP, you really don’t know what you’re talking about and should probably just delete your account.

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2020 2:22 PM

Shirley Horn. She never really crossed over the way someone like Nina Simone or Diana Krall did.

She's my favorite jazz vocalist and one of my favorite jazz pianists

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2020 2:26 PM

R9 AND a Tony; never forget that.

Also, you bitches ain’t convincing me of shit.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2020 2:26 PM

This just came up on shuffle and I literally teared up and felt a little bit of ecstasy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2020 2:30 PM

How does this bitch take me from the longing and nostalgia of R12 to the empowerment and badassery of in .5 seconds? How does she do this!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2020 2:35 PM

Tori Amos: also pretty much the definition of a mainstream artist.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2020 2:38 PM

NOT mainstream

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2020 2:40 PM

R14 Um, don’t let her multiple Grammy nominations and millions of records sold fool you.

There seems to be a disparity between how I define nonmainstream and how you cunts define mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2020 2:43 PM

R15 God, I love him so. I’m just finishing up his fab biography “Fire in the Belly” by Cynthia Carr.

“Close to the Knives: A Memoir of Disintegration” might be my favorite memoir - and book - of all time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2020 2:46 PM

[quote] There seems to be a disparity between how I define nonmainstream and how you cunts define mainstream.

Tori music is alternative for sure but I wouldn't say she's undeground. She is very much mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2020 2:54 PM

Actress: Elizabeth Taylor

Musician: The Beatles

Author: William Shakespeare

Painter: Norman Rockwell

This is as "non-mainstream" as I get...

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2020 2:57 PM

r19 has jokes

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2020 2:58 PM

R19 lmao! You bitch. Never stop. You are why I love the ninth circle that is DL.

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2020 2:59 PM

Colin Haye.

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2020 4:52 PM

I like the Bacon Brothers but they're mainstream, just not musically.

by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2020 4:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!