Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When did your life change forever?

What was your 'Sliding Doors' moment?

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2020 10:06 AM

When I contacted the NYT to be the subject a puff piece.

Now I’m a star.

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2020 7:03 AM

The night Chicago died.

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2020 7:34 AM

August 15, 1991

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2020 9:00 AM

The night the lights went out in Georgia

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2020 9:16 AM

May 14, 2011, when I got very drunk and high on Adderall, alone. (Coke was my upper of choice, however.)

I stopped drinking and drugging for good on May 15.

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2020 9:22 AM

What happened, r5?

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2020 9:32 AM

r6 around that time, a friend of mine died of brain cancer. He was a dire alcoholic and had been for many years. I think part of the reason he died was that he was having symptoms and ignored them for a long time due to his drinking.

I'm not entirely sure what changed on May 14, or what was different. I'd been getting hammered every night for almost years -- I'd take a break maybe once every three months. The coke was more intermittent, because I was working a shit job and didn't have the money to spend on blow. But something happened that night and I just felt ... totally out of control. That, in combination with watching a friend drink himself to death (if I remember correctly, his memorial service was on May 13), created a perfect scenario in which to quit.

I don't think I meant for it to be long-term. Initially, I was just "taking a break." But a day turned into a week, and a week, a month, and now it's been almost 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2020 9:58 AM

Tuesday, December 31st, 1985.

Officially came out of the closet, and got struck sober at approximately 8:40 PM.

(There was a clock on the wall.)

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2020 9:58 AM

r7 should read, "I'd been getting hammered every night for almost three years."

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2020 9:59 AM

June 20, 1996.

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2020 10:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!