Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Schitt’s Creek sucks

There. I said it. I am on the LAST episode. I can’t bring myself to finish it. Dragged myself to nearly the finish line, waiting for something interesting to happen. It never did.

by Anonymousreply 123September 14, 2021 4:41 AM

Why would you watch episodes of a show you don't like?

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2020 12:54 AM

Thank you, OP. I watched it after reading the rave reviews here. I kept going through the start of season 2 when I gave up. It is contrived and tiresome. Every damn actor delivers every line in the same sing-song voice. There's no character development. The same lines come out of every character's mouth. I hated it so much!

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2020 1:01 AM

R1 I ask myself that all the time. I was waiting for something to happen until the very end. It is sooooo boring. But I kept watching. Why???

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2020 1:02 AM

I gave up as well. Don’t understand the raves

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2020 1:03 AM

Ridiculous.

Dan Levy is a GENIUS who create a MASTERPIECE.

The comedy is impeccable. Dan Levy is so funny, so handsome, so likable. A STAR!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2020 1:05 AM

It so very predictable. It’s like a very generic sitcom. Just very mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2020 1:06 AM

I keep waiting. Everyone keep saying it gets more exciting. I’m on the last episode! Someone tell me what happens at the end because I cannot watch the last bits of it. I am shocked that it won so many Emmys. I watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine and it’s so much better. Not an Advertisement for Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I just want some thing that’s funny.

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2020 1:09 AM

I thought the last season was especially contrived in terms of character development. The Roses are supposed to have found the true meaning of community and family, but apparently they found it not over a steady progression of the previous 5 seasons, but suddenly in the first 3 episodes of season 6. Moira's character's comedic strength was her aloofness and suddenly she's pontificating on relationships and getting glassy-eyed. And puddle-deep Alexis discovers empathy. And Stevie finds her inner strength. It was just ham-handedly sudden, the writers suddenly imposing gravity on the characters.

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2020 1:17 AM

You hate the show, but somehow made it to the last episode of the final season? Yeah, you must have really hated it a lot. Stop trying to be edgy and rail against something millions of people love. The show is a delight, the actors are all wonderful, the writing is sharp, and it has tons of heart. It's exactly what we've needed since Trump took office and I'm happy it exists.

The only downside is Chris Elliot who I find repulsive in this.

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2020 1:20 AM

Compare it to Newhart, another show about eccentric characters in a rural setting. Newhart had interesting characters and scenarios. Schitt's Creek is the same thing, week after week, and it's impossible to distinguish between the characters. It's the kind of show that makes we wary of reviews and recommendations.

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2020 1:20 AM

Sucks so much I won’t even read this thread.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2020 1:23 AM

i love it though not right away. maybe its an acquired taste. and yes, it deserved its Emmies.

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2020 1:27 AM

I skipped the last episode

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2020 1:28 AM

R9, I have been watching it for TWO FUCKING YEARS. Honestly? It’s all of the bullshit reviews on sites like THIS ONE that pushed my ass forward. All of a sudden I’m at the end and I can’t fucking believe it.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2020 1:30 AM

Well before Netflix, I pushed myself to watch it on Pop TV. Made it through the first two seasons, but found it too shrill to invest in any further. After it became a hit on Netflix, I picked up where I left off. It has its moments, but I, too, agree with those who are mystified by its seemingly almost universal acclaim.

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2020 1:31 AM

Moira Rose is my idol. Love the gurl.

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2020 1:34 AM

It’s so so bad, I started it years ago and it is just awful all around. The writing and acting come off like they think they are pulling off camp. The show thinks it is onto its self but it really isn’t, it’s simply written and acted poorly, and this coming from someone who loves Catherine O’Hara

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2020 1:36 AM

I tried the first 3 episodes but couldn't get into it. Maybe it got better later, but...

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2020 1:37 AM

How many threads on this topic do we need? Is there an anti Schitt's Creek troll?

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2020 1:45 AM

[quote] Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Insert vomit emoji.

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2020 1:46 AM

I tried to watch it. I love Catherine O’Hara & Eugene Levy. I couldn’t make it through. I don’t like those fake documentary/people embarrassing themselves shows or movies, so it wasn’t for me.

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2020 1:49 AM

I just watched the last episodes of the final season earlier today. It's a feel-good show and refreshingly lowkey in many ways. It's not perfect but it's well-written with likeable characters. The actors are pretty much spot on and the world building is almost flawless.

Even though I loved watching the show I do agree that it's a bit of an acquired taste. I tried to start watching it already years ago but had to stop after like two episodes. I returned recently, after their big Emmy win, and binged all seasons in a couple of months but even now I had weeks long pauses between episodes a couple of times because I just didn't feel like going back there. But when I returned I usually ended up watching multiple episodes in a row because I loved what I was seeing.

I'm sure many gay men are totally in love with Patrick Brewer. He's the super nice normal-guy-prince many of us neurotic and cunty Davids are dreaming of.

BTW, OP, you watched 79 episodes and then on the 80th stopped watching? You have issues. Are you a David?

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2020 1:49 AM

A relative with whom I normally share the same tastes told me I had to watch it. I made it to the middle of S1E5 and had to stop. I love Levy and O'Hara in all the Christopher Guest mockumentaries. I'm just amazed at all those Emmy awards for something so underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2020 1:54 AM

R22, I have no idea. Really. I think was just so disappointed that I avoided the finality of it all. But no. Not a David at all.

by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2020 2:22 AM

Patrick is a dream!

by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2020 2:32 AM

Who has fucked dan levy

by Anonymousreply 26November 21, 2020 10:35 PM

You watched 6 seasons of a show you hate. Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 27November 21, 2020 11:05 PM

Hah. I did.

by Anonymousreply 28November 21, 2020 11:13 PM

It's SUCH A COMEDOWN for all the actors involved. And Catherine O'Hara needs to quit the booze and cigs. She looks close to 80 in real life...

by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2020 11:24 PM

Feast on this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2020 1:10 AM

OP, I gave up after season 3. You have great stamina.

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2020 1:38 AM

I tried to watch it again this past week when there was a marathon, I couldn’t make it through one episode. Katherine O’Hara in deep maroon lipstick & green hair was too offensive to watch. I suppose it’s meant to be funny that her character makes her own head look so abhorrent that it’s impossible to look at, but I didn’t laugh. I always liked her, but it’s just too OTT.

by Anonymousreply 32December 2, 2020 1:46 AM

I watched a few episodes, I found it dull

by Anonymousreply 33December 2, 2020 1:51 AM

Yeah, I couldn't make it further than the third episode. It was just trying too hard. And I just want to slap him - what's his name.

by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2020 2:01 AM

I made it halfway thru season 2 while I was in bed w the flu. Do they ever leave the little motel? Just felt like I was watching the same episode over and over.

I would eat a moose for Catherine O'Hara and I still couldn't do it.

by Anonymousreply 35December 2, 2020 2:54 AM

OP SUCKS COCKS IN HELL!!!

by Anonymousreply 36December 2, 2020 2:55 AM

OP, you spent two years watching a show because other people said it was good, and you were unable to determine for yourself whether it was worth watching until the very last episode? This sounds like a you problem.

by Anonymousreply 37December 2, 2020 4:38 AM

[quote]There's no character development.

There's plenty. The Rose family as a whole, Alexis, the townspeople vs the Roses, even David.

by Anonymousreply 38December 2, 2020 5:32 AM

I had watched the first season of The Boys waiting to like it, but it never happened, so I was determined not to make that mistake ever again. I knew I would hate Schitt's Creek after watching the first episode, so I didn't watch any others. I hate humor that is based in characters' misery, and that was a large part of why I gave up so easily.

by Anonymousreply 39December 2, 2020 5:54 AM

I don't know, I really enjoyed it. But I can definitely see why some wouldn't. There were definitely some eye rolling moments and some of it was predictable. My only real complaint is I wish they did more flashbacks to their time as a wealthy family. I think that would have made their growth throughout the run of the show more meaningful and apparent. Plus, the few flashbacks they did show were always great, could have used more.

by Anonymousreply 40December 2, 2020 5:59 AM

My god it's just a silly comedy, you all act as if it is a Hollywood epic or something. Never mind it got awards, so somebody liked it. Or is it because there's a gay guy in it and it's popular, and that skeeves you bitter old washed up queens?

by Anonymousreply 41December 2, 2020 6:15 AM

It’s my favorite show ever. And yes, Patrick is a dream!

by Anonymousreply 42December 2, 2020 6:28 AM

Dan a bottom?

by Anonymousreply 43December 2, 2020 3:30 PM

[quote] My god it's just a silly comedy, you all act as if it is a Hollywood epic or something. Never mind it got awards,

That’s exactly it. It got awards. It lasted for 6 seasons. That *is* epic in Hollywood these days.

And it fucking sucked

by Anonymousreply 44December 2, 2020 5:23 PM

What do you expect with shows like Housewives and DWTS so popular. American TV is the sludge pot of hell. Let's remember how many voted for the Dump and you see the mentality of the general American populace.

by Anonymousreply 45December 2, 2020 6:27 PM

I struggled finishing the first episode. Does it get better?

by Anonymousreply 46December 2, 2020 6:33 PM

I couldn't get past the first episode initially. Then re-watched it and then got hooked. Moira was brilliant in the last episode.

by Anonymousreply 47December 2, 2020 10:30 PM

Best sitcom in tv history!

by Anonymousreply 48December 2, 2020 10:33 PM

I really enjoyed the show but I was really turned off by David and Patrick's relationship. Maybe it's because of the undertone of gloom from this year (started watching during the pandemic). Watching a Hallmark style relationship blossom out of a Podunk town almost makes me want to gag.

By the finale the show became all about their relationship with little, lovely written, side adventures for the rest of the cast. My feelings aside it was still beautiful and funny. I just wasn't in the right headspace for "happy ever after".

by Anonymousreply 49December 2, 2020 10:38 PM

Dan Levy ‘s constant frown-mugging made me want to slap him viciously and repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 50December 18, 2020 4:48 PM

OP, I usually don't need to watch an entire show to decide whether or not I like it. If I don't like a show, then there's no way I am going to watch the whole series.

by Anonymousreply 51December 18, 2020 5:03 PM

good interview with Dan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 18, 2020 5:10 PM

I stopped watching after the episode in the first season when the obviously gay son (Dan Levy) hooked up with that hotel girl. Seemed like straight washing (correct term?) to me. Why not write a character who can just be gay without having to do the normal straight thing first?

Could be reading too much into it but I'm a gay man and sometimes it feels like media representation falls into tropes or apologies so the normie straights aren't offended.

Whatever. I'd try the show again because it has been awhile and I didn't give it a proper chance.

by Anonymousreply 53December 18, 2020 5:14 PM

[quote] I stopped watching after the episode in the first season when the obviously gay son (Dan Levy) hooked up with that hotel girl. Seemed like straight washing (correct term?) to me. Why not write a character who can just be gay without having to do the normal straight thing first?

This makes me not want to watch the show at all or for that matter any current shows that aren't 100% gay on and off the camera.

by Anonymousreply 54December 18, 2020 5:21 PM

i'm still not clear on why he chose to make the character pansexual instead of gay. it's only in that first season. the rest of the series he's with men.

maybe had to do with his own insecurities? or was trying to challenge the assumption that everyone would make that the character was gay based on his affect and mannerisms? strange because even if everyone made that assumption - who cares? own it?

by Anonymousreply 55December 18, 2020 5:32 PM

It's a gay show created by a gay guy for other gays, so it MUST be wonderful.

OP has so much to learn.

by Anonymousreply 56December 18, 2020 5:34 PM

Ok, well go back to watching The Bachelor whatever

by Anonymousreply 57December 18, 2020 5:43 PM

R56: those kinds of shows are the only shows that have any moral right to exist at this point.

by Anonymousreply 58December 18, 2020 5:46 PM

I was actually enjoying it until it swept the Emmys. I was toward the end of the 4th season, ignoring how sappy and sentimental it was starting to get.

The Emmys heaped on undeserved hype I just couldn't deal with. Also, Dan Levy bragging about being the beneficiary of nepotism was kind of gross.

by Anonymousreply 59December 18, 2020 5:48 PM

I know they intend to develop the characters. But the lines are interchangeable-- any character could deliver any other character's lines and it would be the same show. And they all speak in the same way-- a kind of deadpan, ironic upspeak. I get what they are going for but it falls short. Dan Levy must have the most effective agent in the world because I do not get the hype at all.

by Anonymousreply 60December 18, 2020 7:28 PM

straight women love dan levy. and they are a big audience.

by Anonymousreply 61December 18, 2020 7:32 PM

Str8 bitches are dumb. Just plain dumb.

by Anonymousreply 62December 18, 2020 7:33 PM

I am a straight woman and a big hater in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 63December 18, 2020 7:40 PM

Most critically acclaimed sitcoms are tediously overrated. How is it possible that people who write about comedy for a living have no sense of humor at all to speak of?

by Anonymousreply 64December 18, 2020 9:38 PM

Watching it now. Why did the actor playing Mutt end up leaving? He was my favorite and he had better chemistry with Alexis than the vet.

by Anonymousreply 65December 31, 2020 8:23 AM

I somehow made it to the end of the first season and then decided not to waste any more of my time watching that tedious, pretentious, smug drivel. Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy can be funny but only in very small doses. I found them both insufferable.

The son should have been aborted before he was born. Horrid creature without any talent. Nepotism running amok.

by Anonymousreply 66December 31, 2020 8:30 AM

I liked it, was entertaining enough. I can't stand Chris Elliot though. He ruins every scene he is in.

by Anonymousreply 67December 31, 2020 12:14 PM

Stupid show.

by Anonymousreply 68December 31, 2020 12:29 PM

I couldn't watch beyond the first few episodes because I found Chris Elliott's character creepy and off-putting. He made me THAT uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 69December 31, 2020 12:34 PM

Sure it became overrated when it was "discovered" and was "in," but it was a pleasant enough little show to kill some time and have a few gentle laughs. And Moira's dialogue was unique to her character. She should be more celebrated here.

by Anonymousreply 70December 31, 2020 12:54 PM

Here come the bitter queens again. It’s a lovely show. Cool your jets.

by Anonymousreply 71December 31, 2020 1:18 PM

I liked a lot of it, it is basically an update of gilligan’s island, crazy Highjinks, implausible scenarios, wacky characters

But the wedding at the end was not my favorite part. All the girls were much more interesting and Alexis’ story arc was much better than her schmucky brother’s

by Anonymousreply 72December 31, 2020 1:27 PM

Waaay back at r45. I totally disagree! So much tv now is excellent, that this show reminds me of an old sitcom back in the day, when the sitcoms were very formulaic and predictable. There are literally hundreds of good series to choose from, even including the networks.

by Anonymousreply 73December 31, 2020 1:29 PM

[quote]Compare it to Newhart, another show about eccentric characters in a rural setting.

Bob and Suzanne Pleshette's characters lived in a rural setting? I don't think this was the case when the series started, didn't they live in a modern high-rise apartment, in a major city? I remember their kooky dentist friend and Bill Daily's character. Didn't the hillbilly guys come much later?

by Anonymousreply 74December 31, 2020 1:53 PM

Not sure if you’re joking r74 but Newhart and The Bob Newhart Show are two different things.

by Anonymousreply 75December 31, 2020 2:20 PM

Looks like the girl who played Stevie is the only one who got any work after SC ended. She was a very good actress. The one who played Jocelyn got a series right after. She was my second or third fave. Alexis hasn't gotten work. Sad. Guess she's too old.

by Anonymousreply 76March 24, 2021 5:09 AM

I used to love SCTV so watched it for the two parents, but gave up after 2 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 77March 24, 2021 5:47 AM

I watched the first one or two episodes and wasn't sure if I liked it. Hung in there watched the whole thing and was in tears of joy as the gay relationship developed. Just to finally see gay men that end up in a happy and not some bitter hate filled spiteful party like Boys in the Band.

Maybe it's because I believe gay men can love each other and stay in it for the long haul, my partner and I just celebrated our 30th year together.

by Anonymousreply 78March 24, 2021 6:28 AM

r76 - Alexis got 2 shows - she's the lead in some upcoming A&E show and she's going to be on season 2 of russian doll. and i think she also got a movie?

by Anonymousreply 79March 24, 2021 3:22 PM

What I hate about Schitts Creek is the blatant, pandering wish fulfillment. Guys like Paul do not give up their heterosexual privilege to be infinitely patient lapdogs for insufferable, high maintenance, bitchy, effeminate, insecure, pansexuals like David. Now all of the pudgy young queers on tinder that dress like Kardashians and wear makeup are "looking for the Paul to my David tee hee", and we have a generation of gays that think Dan Levy is someone to emulate!

by Anonymousreply 80September 7, 2021 10:35 PM

Glad to know I didn't miss anything, after giving-up after the first 4 episodes. Good actors with nothing to do, the writing just wasn't there.

by Anonymousreply 81September 7, 2021 10:38 PM

Who the fuck is Paul?

by Anonymousreply 82September 7, 2021 10:38 PM

Patrick!*

by Anonymousreply 83September 7, 2021 10:39 PM

I give any show 4 episodes, that's it. If I'm not hooked by then, GTFOH!

by Anonymousreply 84September 7, 2021 10:50 PM

I absolutely loved the show, but I agree with R9 about Chris Elliot, though.

by Anonymousreply 85September 7, 2021 10:55 PM

R76 I will say that the actress who played Stevie was the only thing I liked about the show. She's great! I'll always remember her for the gender flipped version of Brad Pitts' character from 12 Monkeys that she did in the TV show version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 7, 2021 10:58 PM

Chris Elliot is always repulsive. I almost didn't watch it simply because I cannot stand him. I'm glad I did though. Stevie was the best part of the show but overall I thought the show was amazing and funnier than most shows I've seen. It took me until the 3rd season to really get into though.

by Anonymousreply 87September 7, 2021 11:28 PM

I liked the series until I saw an after episode special with Dan Levy talking about his motivation and acting like he just invented water and I found him way too pretentious, then I liked it less.

by Anonymousreply 88September 7, 2021 11:40 PM

needed more Jake

by Anonymousreply 89September 7, 2021 11:43 PM

Does anyone know a real life Patrick type who ended up with a David? I don’t. Felt like a fantasy relationship designed for straight women to drool over.

by Anonymousreply 90September 7, 2021 11:58 PM

It depends on what aspect of their relationship you are talking about. I know many gay men who love each other and got married. I don't particularly know the ins and outs of their relationships, but they seem very happy.

So if that's what you're asking about...if gay men can be happy together, then yes.

by Anonymousreply 91September 8, 2021 12:13 AM

I mean a prissy effeminate bottom who wears skirted pants and squeals about Mariah Carey with a masculine calm hot guy who loves baseball and just figured out he was gay by falling madly in love with the screaming bottom.

by Anonymousreply 92September 8, 2021 12:17 AM

I could stretch my disbelief if Patrick was just a masculine gay guy who found David endearing for some reason but we are supposed to believe that he is the stereotypical straight guy with a fiance who just found David so incredibly alluring that he turned gay.

by Anonymousreply 93September 8, 2021 12:17 AM

OP lost me at "There. I said it." Anyone who feels the need to adorn a statement with those words immediately abandons all credibility -- might as well say "I am making a BRAVE STAND." Yawn.

Also, I wonder whether R45 realizes that SCHITT'S CREEK was not an American series.

by Anonymousreply 94September 8, 2021 12:18 AM

Zero sympathy for anyone who has the nerve to complain after sitting through 80 episodes. You're an insane person with too much time on your hands and poor viewing skills.

Sometimes, entire first seasons can be skipped (The Office, 30 Rock) and some other great shows take a few episodes to get the ball rolling (Succession). Some series you can enjoy a few select seasons on their own (The first 3 seasons of Weeds and Homeland told contained stories, then branched out in a spinoff type fashion).

Trying to imagine OP, sitting stonefaced through 40 hours of a show he didn't like just so he could complain to strangers on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 95September 8, 2021 12:50 AM

It’s always a red flag when fraus go WILD for a gay couple. Fraus are obsessed with Dan Levy and with David/Patrick. Dan Levy because he’s built like a fat hairy straight type but is soooo in touch with his emotions and David/Patrick because they are madly in love and never argue and never allude to fucking - just kiss chastely and sleep side by side. Also Patrick presents as straight which is always a comfort to the fraus. It’s like one is the man and one is the woman.

FWIW, I actually loved the show.

by Anonymousreply 96September 8, 2021 1:03 AM

I watched 4 episodes. People said I needed to get to the middle of season two. No. I felt like such a stick in the mud, but I disliked the characters, the writing, and the weird enthusiasm of those recommending it.

A longtime dear fraufriend, currently going through a divorce, kept going on and on about finding her Patrick someday. She made me watch the scene where Patrick sings "Simply the Best" for Dan and then a scene where Dan does a lip sync to the same song for Patrick. 🤮🤮🤮

I had to act moved by it because she's going through shit. She told me last week she started over with season 1, again.

I'm going to wait until she's in a better place to tell her that I don't think the friendship can continue.

by Anonymousreply 97September 8, 2021 4:23 AM

Schitt's Creek is surrealist humor which is an acquired taste. I'm going to get in trouble saying this...I am American, my husband is Canadian we live in Toronto and this show is totally feel like "Canadian humor" which I don't think translates as well in America because frankly Americans aren't good with surrealist humor (it's a reason why shows like 30 Rock were moderate successes in the US but huge abroad). I find the show "meh" but my husband and his friends LOVE it. It's enjoyable and largely because of Catherine O'Hara and the daughter character.

Also I don't buy Patrick/David as a couple. They have zero chemistry and the actor who plays Patrick is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 98September 8, 2021 4:39 AM

It's funny because I really didn't like Patrick at all for David. His character was the least likable after Chris Elliot. They did a real disservice to the gay storyline by casting a straight guy in the role.

by Anonymousreply 99September 9, 2021 10:59 PM

I couldn’t make it past the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 100September 9, 2021 11:01 PM

The response above calling it surrealist humor is actually pretty on target. Is there anyone here who loved Arrested Development or 30 Rock but didn't care for Schitt's Creek?

by Anonymousreply 101September 9, 2021 11:07 PM

My frau friend assumed Patrick was played by a gay actor. Like R99, I felt he very much presented as a straight guy.

I somehow doubt Dan Levy would have cast himself opposite an openly gay actor.

by Anonymousreply 102September 9, 2021 11:23 PM

It seemed struck, on the cheap, from the "For those who liked 'Arrested Development,'..." mold.

But I found Arrested Development insufferable, and this worse.

by Anonymousreply 103September 10, 2021 12:21 AM

Thanks OP. It's indeed REALLY BAD. Embarrassingly so.

by Anonymousreply 104September 10, 2021 1:03 AM

I thought Moira was hilarious, and I also liked Stevie. David was so unfunny, he was truly cringe inducing.

by Anonymousreply 105September 10, 2021 1:06 AM

I thought it was a unique premise, and had a lot of potential, but it got really bad really quickly. I think I made it to season 3.

by Anonymousreply 106September 10, 2021 1:09 AM

I hated Arrested Development and never watched 30 Rock, but I LOVED Schitt's Creek.

by Anonymousreply 107September 10, 2021 3:12 AM

Nice of Dan Levy to join us at r5

by Anonymousreply 108September 10, 2021 3:19 AM

These two jokers Dan and Jesse Tyler...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 13, 2021 3:36 PM

Quit responding to the OP.

She got the COVID in January and hasn't been heard from since.

by Anonymousreply 110September 13, 2021 3:41 PM

The wet the bed episode has me laughing out loud like a hyena

by Anonymousreply 111September 13, 2021 3:41 PM

R92, Patrick talks about falling for another dude before David at the end of season five. At the least, he was mostly straight, more likely bi

by Anonymousreply 112September 13, 2021 3:44 PM

R112 lol no he doesn’t.

by Anonymousreply 113September 13, 2021 3:53 PM

[quote]this show is totally feel like "Canadian humor" which I don't think translates as well in America because frankly Americans aren't good with surrealist humor

I don't know, r98, I am a huge fan of Corner Gas and Red Green, SCTV and the Christopher Guest films, I feel like I pretty well get Canadian humor (and I loved 30 Rock too, which you listed as being Canadian-like) and I just couldn't maintain interest in Schitt's Creek.

I was curious as to what episode I last watched and as I scrolled through the episodes, I realized I didn't actually remember a lot of what I'd seen, it made very little lasting impression on me.

by Anonymousreply 114September 13, 2021 3:57 PM

R111 you sound... fun...

by Anonymousreply 115September 13, 2021 4:57 PM

Dan Levy can’t act.

by Anonymousreply 116September 13, 2021 5:05 PM

I never got past season 1.

by Anonymousreply 117September 13, 2021 5:10 PM

God knows I tried! The problem is I hate the kids. I quit after 5 or 6 annoying episodes.

by Anonymousreply 118September 13, 2021 5:19 PM

Not true r110! I’m here. I stopped following the thread since it seemed to have slowed down, but today it just popped up again in my feed.

by Anonymousreply 119September 13, 2021 5:48 PM

R114 & R98 I agree that 30 Rock and Schitt's Creek are rooted in surrealist comedy, but 30 Rock was far more solidly written and acted. I think the reason why 30 Rock works better for me is that it's rooted in satire of American culture and I think that's why it did better outside of America than in the US. Schitt's Creek doesn't have that same satirical edge and really is much softer and just about a bunch of bizarre people living in a little town. I'll be real, if Catherine O'Hara hadn't been on the show, it never would have taken off.

by Anonymousreply 120September 14, 2021 4:06 AM

Moira is the poor man's Edina.

by Anonymousreply 121September 14, 2021 4:36 AM

R121 The gays love Moira that's why the show took off.

by Anonymousreply 122September 14, 2021 4:41 AM

I feel guilty for not liking Schitt’s Creek.

I’m a huge SCTV fan; I even like Chris Elliott.

(For the record, I loved “Arrested Development, 30 Rock, Chris Guest movies, etc,. etc.)

And I’ve tried three separate times to get into Schitt’s Creek.

But the show just isn’t funny to me - and I don’t think Dan Levy is a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 123September 14, 2021 4:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!