Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Royal Fashion: Diana Edition

We begin with the iconic "Revenge Dress". Di wore it the same evening Prince Charles confessed to adultery with Camilla Parker-Bowles. Designer Christina Stambolian revealed that the dress had actually been made for Diana three years prior to its first appearance in the spotlight. At the time, the princess had been too nervous to wear it because she claimed it was “too daring.”

In fact, Diana had initially planned on wearing a Valentino dress until her outfit of choice was released to the press ahead of the event, according to reports from the Telegraph. Instead, she made a last-minute switch and opted for the “daring” Stambolian black dress. Anna Harvey, her former stylist, said that she wanted to “look like a million dollars” that night. If the dress was Diana’s small act of revenge, she sure did look like a million bucks doing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10211 hours ago

Pretty woman. Ugly dress.

by Anonymousreply 1Last Friday at 3:15 PM

Catherine Walker did so many great pieces for but loved these two late life gowns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2Last Friday at 3:24 PM

Perfect . Just the right amount of sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 3Last Friday at 3:25 PM

She was not pretty. She was a very plain face with a big nose. She had a good figure. She had some good clothes. She had good makeup. Her voice was dull. OP's pic shows Di trying far too hard. What is she doing there, next to a car in a car park dressed like that? How far we have moved on since she tragically died. She was a great AIDS campaigner and a great landmine campaigner: that is what she needs to be remembered for (see link). She said you can't get sick from shaking hands with an AIDS patient: that was big back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4Last Friday at 3:40 PM

R4 It was some event she attended. It was very striking in motion, she leaps out of her car and sprints over to the guy she shook hands with, with that capelet thing flying. People dubbed it her F U dress.

by Anonymousreply 5Last Friday at 3:45 PM

She was my princess. I was her queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6Last Friday at 3:46 PM

It was a Vanity Fair party. The whole world saw Diana leap out the car in that dress and wondered "Is Charles crazy?"

by Anonymousreply 7Last Friday at 3:50 PM

Yes, everyone saw the footage. It was a jaw-dropping entrance. Her legs were a mile long.

by Anonymousreply 8Last Friday at 4:03 PM

They should have wondered if she was crazy at that point. She probably was by then, poor woman. Her looks are very Spencer: not good if you have the chance to age, which tragically she did not. If she had lived and had escaped the harem which the Fayeds had ready for her, she would have gone on to be a great humanitarian like Eleanor Roosevelt.

by Anonymousreply 9Last Friday at 4:05 PM

It was THE fu dress of the century . She was so much more stylish in the 90s,but to be fair,most women dressed like shit in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 10Last Friday at 4:06 PM

She wore that to a Vanity Fair party? All dressed up with nowhere to go. Sadly desperate, no friends Di.

by Anonymousreply 11Last Friday at 4:06 PM

It is laughable now but a Vanity Fair function was once exclusive and completely restricted to first rate celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 12Last Friday at 4:39 PM

The dress is classic sex, beauty, fashion, chic--but not cheap--and the perfect revenge.

Diana forever.

by Anonymousreply 13Last Friday at 4:40 PM

That outfit with the little bow tie must be from when she moonlighted as an ice cream man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14Last Friday at 6:41 PM

The white dress and the blue plaid are from the Dorothy Zbornak line.

by Anonymousreply 15Last Friday at 6:45 PM

She was just finďing her own sense of stylè in the later yeàrs.

by Anonymousreply 16Last Friday at 6:58 PM

I personally liked the Versace stuff she was wearing in the year or so before she died.

by Anonymousreply 17Last Friday at 7:05 PM

casusal Di

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18Last Friday at 7:09 PM

She always seemed to be walking roung parking lots containing Fords and other downmarket brands.

by Anonymousreply 19Last Saturday at 10:20 AM

In her last year her personal style was becoming apparent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20Last Saturday at 11:36 AM

She was very plain, but she had air of elegance and sophistication that is pretty much gone now.

by Anonymousreply 21Last Saturday at 11:41 AM

Not long after the FU dress, she wore a light blue cocktail dress that was very timeless and equally sexy. I remember thinking that she would never look any better. Yikes- she didn't.

by Anonymousreply 22Last Saturday at 11:54 AM

[quote] She always seemed to be walking roung parking lots containing Fords and other downmarket brands.

Horrors! Sounds perfectly GHASTLY!

by Anonymousreply 23Last Saturday at 11:56 AM

She benefitted greatly from not having the usual British cankles.

by Anonymousreply 24Last Saturday at 12:03 PM

Diana was a good-looking woman in the way Englishwomen of the gentry and aristocracy tend to be. Compared to the inbreds into which she married , she was a raving beauty.

Had she lived, I doubt if she would have married Dodi Fayed. Who knows whom she would eventually marry. She would have lost the title, had she married. One thing is for sure -- she would have had fallings-out with her daughters-in-law.

by Anonymousreply 25Last Saturday at 12:06 PM

She was extraordinarily attractive. If you look at other aristocracy, she beats them by a mile.

by Anonymousreply 26Last Saturday at 1:18 PM

[quote] She would have lost the title, had she married.

Titles don't just disappear. She would have been Diana Princess of Wales Mrs Dodi Fayed. It is customary for the divorced wife to keep her ex husband's title or a variation until they remarry; some women kept their title by their previous husband even after they remarried eg Maureen Marchioness of Dufferin and Ava Mrs John Maude. Same sort of thing with Margaret Duchess of Argyll. Diana as the mother of the future king would have remained a princess, no doubt there.

by Anonymousreply 27Last Saturday at 1:50 PM

Absolute bullshit R27 - don’t make stuff up, you only look stupid.

“Diana Princess of Wales Mrs Dodi Fayed”!

If she had remarried, to Fayed, for example, she would have been styled as “Lady Diana Fayed”.

The dowager Marchioness of Dufferin & Ava’s right to retain her previous title was spurious.

by Anonymousreply 28Last Saturday at 3:04 PM

The Princess Anne Mrs Mark Phillips was the thing back in the day R28.

by Anonymousreply 29Last Saturday at 3:09 PM

[quote] The dowager Marchioness of Dufferin & Ava’s right to retain her previous title was spurious.

Maureen and the Queen Mother were great friends. Maureen had a town house in Knightsbridge (corner of Pavilion Rd and Hans Cres); the drawing room had a little staircase, a bit like the one in All About Eve. I saw the drawing room myself but without the Queen Mother; I could only imagine her there, it seemed to be a very appropriate place for the QM to come to visit her friend for afternoon tea (and the harder stuff).

She knew keeping the title was doubtful after her marriage to Judge Maude, but when asked why she kept it she always said, "Ava would have wanted it, darling." Ava died in WW2, RIP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30Last Saturday at 3:26 PM

^This is the gayest conversation of all time.

by Anonymousreply 31Last Saturday at 6:53 PM

She looked great in OP's photo, but I never liked that choker.

by Anonymousreply 32Last Saturday at 11:40 PM

That choker needed a different neckline, the dress was too flimsy for it. In hindsight, the FU dress was a little underwhelming but like her wedding dress, it was perfect for that time and place. Her smile is forced, she acting as best as she could but she was devastated that Charles was admitting adultery with Camilla.

by Anonymousreply 33Last Saturday at 11:55 PM

Nitpicking here, but I don't like the line of the sleeves on the black dress. They should have gone up a bit higher, just below the curve of the shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 34Last Sunday at 12:27 AM

The ultimate LBD. It has a little train!

by Anonymousreply 35Last Sunday at 12:53 AM

She had a big nose and a big chin and fluffy, dowdy old lady hair most of the time, and she was known in her time and is remembered variably as beautiful or at least as elegant and graceful.

I wish people would take note of this and focus more on carrying themselves with dignity and grace than having their faces sliced and diced and pumped full of fillers and Botox. Surely, Diana would not have made herself into a Real Housewife but would have aged like a human being.

by Anonymousreply 36Last Sunday at 1:02 AM

She had star quality and was extremely photogenic. I always thought she looked gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 37Last Sunday at 1:12 AM

She was insanely charismatic. No, she wasn't a beauty, and her fashion choices are viewed through rose-colored hindsight, but she was a very genuine and empathetic person, brimming with charm and barely controlled humor. There was no one like her before, or since.

by Anonymousreply 38Last Sunday at 1:16 AM

That choker is worth a couple millions? Real pearls? Real jewels.

Real princess, not a Kardashian.

by Anonymousreply 39Last Sunday at 1:26 AM

I don't get the royal thing at all. The Crown really substantiates my feeling about it, too, although I wouldn't presume to know how realistic that is or is not.

Rulers used to rule and now they make appearances. I would honestly have a hardscrabble working-class life than the life of any of the British royals. They seem to exist almost as living human sacrifices, with their misery and confinement and constriction being surrogate human sacrifices for the people. They're like prized livestock kept in the best conditions, fed the best foods, paraded around but without any freedom or sense of purpose. As The Crown depicts the queen, she's dedicated to her job and she seems like she could be a much worse person if she wanted to be, to her credit, but my god, she couldn't be duller. Liking horses and dogs are the only redeeming qualities. Anne rides horses. So what? They're like goldfishes just swimming around in a little bowl, playing endlessly through the window of a little castle. How in the fuck do they survive this way? The series doesn't quite present it this way, but I completely understand how Diana or Fergie or anyone who was raised as any kind of average human being would be driven to madness by having every aspect of living taken away from them. Even people in prison can express themselves. I don't know. I don't exactly feel sympathy for the ones born into it because they can't know any other way of living except through literature and movies but ugh, absolutely the worst life I can imagine living.

by Anonymousreply 40Last Sunday at 1:35 AM

Regarding Diana's style: she was certainly a frump when she married, and until William was a toddler. But be fair. She married in mid-1981. By 1983 her clothes have already improved. In 1984 she started working with Catherine Walker and there was another big leap, with a few falters while she was pregnant with Harry. From 1985 till her death you would be hard-pressed to find her looking less than absolutely glamorous, in any of the millions of photos of her, unless she's pictured at the gym. Given that she was only 22 by 1984, and that the Royal family disdained stylists and makeovers, and that, as with Kate now, her clothes had to reflect Royal policy and the expectations of the people and places she was visiting, that's a pretty good effort.

Everyone who met her commented on her huge cornflower-blue eyes, flawless pale skin and beautiful smile, and as the DL often notes, she also had great legs, which were more noticeable after she left Charles and could wear high heels. She was very tall and willowy. Everyone knew her nose was large, but many thought this one imperfection saved her from blandness, and like all great photographic models, she understood early on her best angles for the camera and the best lighting to minimise it. In all the time she was alive, I never saw anyone comment that her jaw was a problem. From 1985 on she was glamour personified, and she had the narcissism to carry it off.

R40, you're too sympathetic. It wasn't that she had different interests from the Royals - at the start she didn't have ANY interests. She walked around with a Walkman playing Duran Duran or similar, and that was it. If she'd been still single, going clubbing would have been the limit of how she expressed her "freedom". She had no conversation or education at all (having failed her O levels and checked herself out of finishing school early), so it's unsurprising Charles found it very hard to connect with her. I am quite sure that if she had shown an interest in learning about the history of the monarchy (or its art, or its historic buildings) or acquainting herself in depth with Royal protocols they would have readily produced someone to instruct her, but she didn't . The primary interest she developed after the first couple of years was in her own appearance and the attention she was or was not receiving; the secondary was her noble causes. The kids seemed to rank somewhere around "where did I leave my glasses?".

Fergie, by contrast, appeared to get on fine with the family, but couldn't get a thing right in the eyes of the media, who were bewitched by Diana.

by Anonymousreply 41Last Sunday at 5:27 AM

R41 She was practically a child. She said in an interview that she doesn't think it's quite right to say she and Charles didn't share any interests because both liked the company of other people, both liked volunteering with hospital patients, etc., and otherwise, she was a teenager who wasn't allowed by the royal family to have any interests, and she said that they told a story of her as being stupid because she had no academic career and she didn't get any credit for any personal growth after the marriage. She clearly was not stupid. She was insightful and articulate, even eloquent, in interviews, which means that she certainly was not dense. She thought and spoke well. It does seem she was reared to be more of an empty vessel than an overflowing cup.

by Anonymousreply 42Last Sunday at 5:33 AM

Di had the profile of a Roman statue. Truly classic good looks.

by Anonymousreply 43Last Sunday at 9:45 AM

I wish women still wore stockings, it looks so much more elegant than gazing at cottage cheese legs.

by Anonymousreply 44Last Sunday at 9:57 AM

Tights or stockings R44?

by Anonymousreply 45Last Sunday at 11:36 AM

Diana had “aristocratic good looks”, not plastic, “celebrity good looks”. I thought she was so beautiful when she first burst into the public sphere. Her willowy height, big, blue eyes, sandy blonde hair and gorgeous peaches-and-cream complexion made up for any deficiencies regarding her perfectly imperfect nose. It actually made her face charming. I will say that she wasn’t aging all that flawlessly, but her charisma mitigated that as well.

by Anonymousreply 46Last Sunday at 11:56 AM

R44 I agree with you 100%. Modern women have this delusion that they must all have nice legs. But face it, between the cottage cheese legs, the spindly bird legs, the ugly knees, the visible veins and the hint of hair growth, it would behoove women to wear stockings to airbrush these flaws. I’m loathe to bring up this example, but look at Kate Middleton’s stockinged legs vs Meghan Markle’s dessicated uncovered twigs. I know which ones I like better.

But then again, we have an uncouth population who can’t even get behind shapewear like their grandmothers did. So many women have muffin tops of bulgy hips and act so dumb about how bad it looks. What a devolution.

by Anonymousreply 47Last Sunday at 12:04 PM

R40 The British royals have gotten it wrong because they were raised wrong. I blame Elizabeth and Phillip for failing as parents, which is why their offspring seem so feckless.

Living a royal life is what you make of it. To have every need taken care of gives you lots of time to pursue worthy passion projects. So what if Anne rides horses? That’s what rich people do...look at Bloomberg’s daughter and Bill Gates’ daughter and even Bruce Springsteen’s daughter. It’s a valid sport and it develops good qualities in people who pursue it. People like Sophie, Edward’s wife, does a lot of good work with sex trafficking charities among her many causes. It can be very fulfilling to be a patron of a cause you hold dear. Outside of Britain, King Willem-Alexander is a pilot and still flies for KLM in his free time. The Swedish royals have several causes they’ve started to help children in impoverished nations. Give me that life over one where you worry about mortgage payments (IF you’re lucky enough to buy a house), a medical emergency ruining you, and losing a job to downsizing, even when you were a model employee for decades.

by Anonymousreply 48Last Sunday at 12:19 PM

Camilla Parker Bowwow must be posting here. Diana was classically beautiful, amazing eyes and spectacular hair. Her figure was fashion model perfect. No, she wasn't perfect-she likely had some mental illness-probably some personality disorder- but, as she aged, she held her own against the ghastly BRF. And by god she didn't mistreat AIDS patients and was a crusader against land mines.

Now if you want to talk about inbred homely features...how about the horse face known as Princess Anne, the buck teeth of Fergie's girls, Charles dumbo ears. Horrors all of them including the Queen and her frumpiness-never without a boxy handbag on her arm. And Camilla-the Rottweiler...

by Anonymousreply 49Last Sunday at 12:53 PM

Foxy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50Last Sunday at 1:57 PM

I always loved how cautiously she and Clint Eastwood looked at each other in this snap

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51Last Sunday at 4:22 PM

crush

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52Last Sunday at 4:23 PM

Part of what made her attractive was that everybody knew that her private life was in turmoil. It made her relatable and approachable, since she was not born into the royalty, but came in as a "commoner" who married a prince. If she had blended in and everyone had been perfectly happy, she probably would have gotten complacent about her appearance and let herself go, "fat and happy." That would have been boring for the rest of us, and she would now be known as "Kate and Megan's mother-in-law."

But fate had other plans.

by Anonymousreply 53Last Sunday at 4:38 PM

I thought her fashion choices were dreadful but it was the 80s..couldn’t she just wear Calvin Klein?

by Anonymousreply 54Last Sunday at 4:51 PM

For as much as she was photographed throughout the years, there are probably less than a dozen unflattering photos of her. She was extremely photogenic, big nose and all.

by Anonymousreply 55Last Sunday at 5:05 PM

People here have a strange notion of what attractiveness, appeal and beauty mean.

Having a nose is common the humanity, and unless someone is demented in the manner of a Jackson of Gary, Indiana, a Roman nose of appropriate dimensions for a face with large eyes, superb cheekbones and jawline, and an expressive mouth is just the thing. She looked noble, striking and endlessly interesting, which was quite a difference from the mousy, beribboned, flouncy girl Charles ruined.

I never was a fan of her, but a nitwit posting, "She was extremely photogenic, big nose and all," shows the vapid blindness and dull stupidity of the DL's cud-chompers.

by Anonymousreply 56Last Sunday at 5:22 PM

We should be grateful to Philip, Diana, and now Kate for bringing height and even features into the BRF. Without them, we'd be stuck with a bunch of pop-eyed German dwarves.

by Anonymousreply 57Last Sunday at 5:35 PM

Can you imagine what the offspring of Charles and Camilla would have looked like?

by Anonymousreply 58Last Sunday at 6:44 PM

Thought I posted my favorite already but looks like it got lost. Cannes, ice blue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59Last Sunday at 6:53 PM

Yes, R29, and she was born “Princess Anne” - later, on her mother’s accession “The Princess Anne”.

Diana’s title prior to her marriage was “Lady Diana Spencer” - she would have reverted to that on her next marriage, with her husband’s surname, unless her new husband outranked her, in which case she would have been styled and titled as her husband’s wife.

In no way did Dodi Fayed outrank her.

by Anonymousreply 60Last Sunday at 6:59 PM

Agreed R31 - even as I was typing my response I was thinking “this is really really gay”. But what the hell, I’m one of the Covid-19 unemployed, with way too much time on my hands!

But these things matter!

by Anonymousreply 61Last Sunday at 7:01 PM

^^ R28, I mean

by Anonymousreply 62Last Sunday at 7:02 PM

Several nose comments noted. Presumably you would have wished her to have the 'typical' ugly button nose that most every American girl is either born with or pays for in the summer between high school and college?

Diana had a lovely distinct nose, which added to her beauty.

by Anonymousreply 63Last Sunday at 7:39 PM

She was lovely. I still miss her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64Last Sunday at 10:23 PM

TIME

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65Last Sunday at 10:25 PM

Timeless

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66Last Sunday at 10:26 PM

Why Diana Mattered...a look at how the princess transformed a nation.

A nation? Diana transformed the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67Last Sunday at 10:28 PM

Princess Di

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68Last Sunday at 10:29 PM

Diana, Princess of Wales, 1961-1997

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69Last Sunday at 10:30 PM

Chic Diana

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70Last Sunday at 10:31 PM

Diana Reborn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71Last Sunday at 10:31 PM

Diana

Princess of Wales

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72Last Sunday at 10:33 PM

So young and innocent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73Last Sunday at 10:34 PM

Diana

In Her Solitude

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74Last Sunday at 10:34 PM

Forever Diana

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75Last Sunday at 10:36 PM

Lovely in pink

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76Last Sunday at 10:37 PM

Vogue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77Last Sunday at 10:39 PM

Diana b&w

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78Last Sunday at 10:40 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79Last Sunday at 10:41 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80Last Sunday at 10:42 PM

Beauty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81Last Sunday at 10:43 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82Last Sunday at 10:44 PM

Love these two

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83Last Sunday at 10:45 PM

Chic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84Last Sunday at 10:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85Last Sunday at 10:49 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86Last Sunday at 10:49 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87Last Sunday at 10:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88Last Sunday at 10:52 PM

Paying tribute

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89Last Sunday at 10:53 PM

So incredibly sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90Last Sunday at 10:54 PM

"Diana leap out the car in that dress and wondered "Is Charles crazy"

He didn't feel that at all. Charles is a homosexual, and was relieved to not have to do the duty with her anymore. From now on it would just be him and his bff Camila, raking all the royals over the coals.

by Anonymousreply 91Last Sunday at 11:04 PM

She was the only member of the royal family (sans The Duchess of Windsor) who was ever chic and fashionable. And she was the only one who ever had any empathy and compassion.

by Anonymousreply 92Yesterday at 1:32 AM

Would you like to buy a bridge, R92? She had empathy and compassion for herself, and a good eye for what looked good on video. Markle Part 1.

by Anonymousreply 93Yesterday at 1:50 AM

If you haven't viewed it, give the doco Diana: In Her Own Words a look. Surprisingly well made, mature review of her life, with plenty of unpublished information. Available online for free streaming.

by Anonymousreply 94Yesterday at 1:56 AM

If anyone has the link to the previous (and relatively recent) Diana fashion thread that was actually useful and not spammed all to hell by the picture troll, that would be lovely, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 95Yesterday at 1:59 AM

The Mario Testino photo shoot for VF was the ultimate. Finally she’d gotten away from the frumpy bubble hair and into piece-y longer layers, a side part and long side swept bangs.

Interesting that she kept her hair short vs nowadays Kate and Meghan are married to their very long hair. Kate looks better with it but Meghan could look chic with a pixie cut.

by Anonymousreply 96Yesterday at 3:20 AM

Meghan is not married to her long hair.

She's married to her long-hair extensions, which she's denied and denied.

by Anonymousreply 97Yesterday at 4:45 AM

Two beauties

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98Yesterday at 5:44 AM

Fashion is transient. Good taste is eternal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99Yesterday at 2:57 PM

Mario Testino’s portraits annoy me. Yes, we get it, you’re showing your subjects in an animated, informal light - literally a fresh perspective. I’d rather see them mysterious and regal.

by Anonymousreply 10019 hours ago

Diana was so ubiquitous back then - I often wonder what people born after her death think about her, or if they do much at all.

by Anonymousreply 10112 hours ago

God, fuck off, Picture Troll. Nobody needs to see 20 pictures of Diana in a row. We know what she looked like.

by Anonymousreply 10211 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!