Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Helmut Berger - Part 2

Helmut Berger and Marcello Mastroianni mourning Luchino Visconti's death - 1976

Discuss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2020 5:49 PM

Thread Part one

Helmut Berger "Remember me for my movies, not because of my scandals!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2020 9:31 PM

Helmut Berger : "I don't know what morality is. I don't know what immorality is either. I only have my conscience."

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2020 1:30 AM

Princess Grace with Helmut Berger in 1973.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2020 4:40 PM

Helmut getting arrested after wreaking havoc in Rome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2020 5:33 PM

Helmut Berger interview - 2019

Helmut Berger was a European star in the 1960s and 1970s. He enjoyed fame and parties, but crashed violently, not least because of alcoholism, and ended up in the RTL jungle camp. "This jungle that haunts me as if I hadn't done anything else," he says in a new documentary.

Visconti was his "father substitute". Visconti dies in 1976 and Berger falls into a crisis. A suicide attempt, excessive alcoholism, a decadent lifestyle followed, but hardly any new big roles.

Instead of acting, he is more talked about with appearances on talk shows. "I'm totally sunk," he explained in 1996 in Harald Schmidt's Sat.1 show at the time.

"I used to look better. But I don't look bad with my 75 either. That's because I stopped drinking excessively. Since then, I've seen my cheekbones again," the actor told German BILD.

But he doesn't want to be young again, as he told the paper. "No thanks! My youth was very exhausting. Not only for me, but also for the others. I was a wild guy and sometimes unpredictable.," said Berger.

He actually only received the great attention again when he moved to the RTL jungle camp in 2013. For health reasons, he gets out after a few days, but suddenly younger people know him too. The appearance was certainly not particularly beneficial for his image. "I don't give a shit," says Berger to filmmaker Valesca Peters when she asks what other people think of him.

Finally, Berger argued in court with the director Andreas Horvath, who had shown him masturbating in the documentary "Helmut Berger, Actor". "Exposing and disparaging" were some scenes, so the charge.

Berger will celebrate his 75th birthday in Bad Ischl, where he was born. There he receives the city's cultural emblem at a ceremony, and a bust of the actor is to be unveiled beforehand on the forecourt of the Lehartheater, showing him in his brilliant role as Ludwig II.

"I'll treat myself to a few glasses of champagne. There are many friends from all over Europe. I have also invited a few old schoolmates. I still know their names today. My memory has always been good,"

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2020 5:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!