Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Instagram Stalkers - Instagram Is YOUR STALKER!

They have updated their user agreement and they are basically tracking everything you do. They have access to your batter level, other apps you use, WiFi, etc.

I deleted my Instagram app on my phone a few weeks ago because I was so sick of them showing ads for things that I did outside of Instagram. I started keeping track. I have a list of about 20 times they stalked my phone usage, here are a few: -Google searches from my laptop (like "Target") resulted in Instagram ads for Target the next day

-I used voice-to-text on my phone for IHOP and an hour later Instagram had an ad for IHOP.

-I had a phone calendar reminder with a link for Einstein Bros Bagels...a few hours later Instagram showed an ad for it.

-I sent Delta an online complaint and they emailed me. The next day, Instagram had a Delta ad.

-I use DraftKings app on my phone...Instagram had an ad.

-I ate crackers while watching TV...an hour later there was an ad for Wheat Thins. WTF - are they listening all the time?

-I texted a co-worker if they wanted KFC...Instagram showed ad for KFC.

Twitter does it, too. I opened a Word document on my laptop that included "Macy's" ...5 minutes later Twitter showed a Macy's ad on my phone.

===== Device Information As described below, we collect information from and about the computers, phones, connected TVs and other web-connected devices you use that integrate with our Products, and we combine this information across different devices you use. For example, we use information collected about your use of our Products on your phone to better personalize the content (including ads) or features you see when you use our Products on another device, such as your laptop or tablet, or to measure whether you took an action in response to an ad we showed you on your phone on a different device. Information we obtain from these devices includes: Device attributes: information such as the operating system, hardware and software versions, battery level, signal strength, available storage space, browser type, app and file names and types, and plugins. Device operations: information about operations and behaviors performed on the device, such as whether a window is foregrounded or backgrounded, or mouse movements (which can help distinguish humans from bots). Identifiers: unique identifiers, device IDs, and other identifiers, such as from games, apps or accounts you use, and Family Device IDs (or other identifiers unique to Facebook Company Products associated with the same device or account). Device signals: Bluetooth signals, and information about nearby Wi-Fi access points, beacons, and cell towers. Data from device settings: information you allow us to receive through device settings you turn on, such as access to your GPS location, camera or photos. Network and connections: information such as the name of your mobile operator or ISP, language, time zone, mobile phone number, IP address, connection speed and, in some cases, information about other devices that are nearby or on your network, so we can do things like help you stream a video from your phone to your TV.

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2020 2:20 AM

Paranoia will destroy ya.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2020 8:38 PM

This is disgraceful and deeply concerning. Who still eats at IHOP?

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2020 8:41 PM

I was shopping online for a Schonbek crystal chandelier with Swarovski crystals and now CONSTANTLY get ads for chandeliers from Lamps Plus. Some of them even slip through Adblock Plus. I feel violated!

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2020 9:26 PM

A guy once approached me in a bar. He worked in the store where I’d get my resume copied, when we used paper. He said he and the girl that worked there would fight over who would wait on me. He said he knew where I lived, my car, and my dog. I wasn’t bothered, except for the dog part, as he liked his privacy. Never saw him again.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2020 9:34 PM

"Cheryl, you wait on the guy, he's such a pain to deal with."

"No Frank, it's your turn, I had him the last two times and he's such a whiner and he smells like Tanqueray."

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2020 9:37 PM

Facebook owns Instagram. You really shouldn't be shocked by all this, OP. I started noticing getting served ads on IG, based on things I've searched or even spoke about while having my phone on me, at least a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2020 9:52 PM

Glad I’m not on social media.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2020 9:54 PM

I think the use of personalized ads is rather humorous. I always get a chuckle when I see what they've caught next.

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2020 10:20 PM

I get non-stop ads for life coaches. Who knew there were so many of the fuckers?

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2020 10:24 PM

I see that IG is now FORCING people to create an account now even to just browse! I used to like reading certain celebs IG posts but have no desire to create an account for myself so I guess I’m done with even reading IG because I don’t want an account just to view celeb posts.

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2020 10:35 PM

Last night I watched a video on YouTube and minutes later an ad related to the subject appeared on my Roku. The tech companies’ algorithms are able to determine that you are the same person across multiple platforms.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2020 10:42 PM

R11 my understanding is that only happens if you stay logged into your Gmail. Basically all of your devices are synced.

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2020 1:59 AM

I've never seen an ad on Instagram. I see the little counter on the uBlock origin icon counting away, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2020 2:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!