Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anhedonia

Has anyone ever had this? It's a fucking nightmare. The reward system in my brain is broken and I can't feel pleasure. I can't laugh. I can't enjoy music - it's like listening to white noise. I'm underweight, because eating is more of a reflex than anything. Drinking alcohol is fairly pointless. No interest in sex or romance. I can find books and TV engaging but not enjoyable, if that makes sense - i.e. something can interest me but I don't feel any positive emotions. I'm pretty sure I got it from an SSRI I took a few years ago. Doctors have put me on Wellbutrin and Pramipexole at different times but neither of them worked.

Has anyone here ever had anhedonia and recovered from it? Did anything help? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2020 7:25 PM

Welcome to my life!

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2020 6:45 PM

Yes. I developed it after about 2 years of sustained and severe psychological trauma. Day to day was so nightmarish it actually felt surreal. I understand how people can actually become psychotic under severe stress. I had to numb myself to survive and I lost the ability to experience positive feelings as well.

Around the same time I quit alcohol and the lack of alcohol seemed to worsen the anhedonia a thousand fold. Im not trying to discourage anyone who successfully quits drinking but I haven't consumed alcohol except for a couple of times socially in 5 years and the anhedonia is more severe than ever. I wonder if this is the " dry drunk" thing I hear about.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2020 6:49 PM

The Anhedonia is one of the more beautiful buildings on the Upper West Side.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2020 6:50 PM

R2 that scares me a lot because I’m trying to quit drinking. What a fucked up side effect for trying to make your life better.

OP I have had this. Terrible way to live. I developed it a winter I was working at a soul crushing job with some SAD on the side. It frightening to feel nothing at all. Death didn’t scare me, neither did illness. I just sat alone most of the time and wished my life was better. I didn’t take anything for it, once the weather cleared I was able to get my head on a bit more straight. It’s one of the most terrifying symptoms of depression because it’s like you’re no longer even a human on the inside.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2020 6:54 PM

I know all about it, OP. My response to everything is flat and disengaged. Life is one long slalom skiing course and when you reach the end, wherever that is, you go into a box in a hole in the ground. No matter the question, the answer is "What's the difference?" Most of the time, there is none.

I've often thought "Ann Hedonic" would be my drag name. But I don't feel any desire to bother.

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2020 6:55 PM

Take a jog around the block bitches

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2020 6:58 PM

Anhedonia was the original title of Annie Hall.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2020 7:02 PM

It seems like I was born with depression and my mother has always been crippled with it. By all means, quit drinking now- you’ll eventually feel better. Quit thinking like whiny women. I take SSRI and they don’t do anything for me except numb me. Would like to get off that dead-end train! I’m sure it will take years and the implementation of some good habits to get off the shit.

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2020 7:02 PM

Thank you to the people who've replied. It's a bit comforting to know I'm not alone.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2020 7:03 PM

Can you do acid or mushrooms?

Not a joke. Psychedelics are becoming an accepted treatment for a lot of psychological disorders.

Can you discuss psychedelics with a mental health provider?

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2020 7:05 PM

It’s called major depressive disorder.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2020 7:07 PM

I have lost interest in many things and didn’t feel any happiness when Trump lost. Intellectually, I’m glad. But happy? No.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2020 7:11 PM

I want to quit drinking and am afraid that this will be an excuse NOT to quit.

I'll get over it.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2020 7:12 PM

[quote] I've often thought "Ann Hedonic" would be my drag name.

Annie Donya, surely.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2020 7:13 PM

I feel much less depressed when not drinking. (Though I’m a couple of glasses of wine a day drinker, not a liter of vodka a day drinker.)

Any amount of alcohol consumed every day can be a problem, though.

But yes, op, I understand. Nothing on earth really gets me excited besides my wine and one or two tv shows.

Used to live for books and movies, but movies are mostly shit now and grad school killed my love of reading.

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2020 7:20 PM

OP, go to the thread on mushrooms. I’ve struggled my entire life, I’m about to try growing my own to play with — the research is quite promising.

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2020 7:45 PM

OP, here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2020 7:47 PM

DataLounge must be a real bore for you OP.

[quote] Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

If there is that means a train is coming, get out of there fast.

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2020 8:11 PM

Try Geodon. It hits a lot of major neuro-transmitters that often non-responders will react to. Warning: it *Can* give you some wacky side-effects in the beginning, (weird soma-somatic stuff that can wear off over time). YMMV.

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2020 8:13 PM

I haven't been diagnosed with anhedonia. But I don't enjoy a lot of the things I used to enjoy, like traveling (even before Covid). Two years ago, I stopped drinking and it's been a positive thing. I've been able to tackle more of my goals since I quit drinking.

R2, I'm sorry to hear quitting drinking kicked up your anhedonia.

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2020 8:21 PM

Get some good weed.

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2020 8:34 PM

Of course Dory Previn wrote this. She knew about mental illness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2020 8:51 PM

It is a significant symptom of depression. Make sure you see your PCP to rule out any possible physical causes (e.g. hypothyroidism, etc.) Although medication can be helpful, combination of medication and talk therapy is the most beneficial.

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2020 8:59 PM

Anhedonia, great song by Blue Six featuring Aya.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2020 9:01 PM

Anhedonia was Woody Allen's original name for his 1977 movie Annie Hall.

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2020 9:06 PM

link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2020 9:08 PM

R23, I wondered about hypothyroidism since I have some of the other symptoms as well - but on the other hand, my weight is steady. I'm not sure it's possible to have hypothyroidism without putting on weight, given that it slows down your metabolism.

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2020 4:15 PM

If you can afford it, I would try ketamine infusions - very effective in clinical trials. There is a nasal spray available but is is not readily avialable as you have to be given the single dose spray in the doctor's office and remain there for an hour.

R10 All psychedelics remain illegal and as of yet, the only way to get psychedelics for psychiatric disorders is to join a clinical trial. Most doctors would feel uncomfortable recommending street drugs to their patients. I am a medical marijuana provider, and cannabis can be useful in treating PTSD.

The VA has been a leader in research on psychedelics in treating combat PTSD, with promising results.

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2020 4:26 PM

I'm struggling with it now. I'm 49, in a career plateau, fighting to keep my melancholy from becoming blown depression. I go through the motions of everything I used to derive joy and stimulation from: reading, movies, working out, cooking. But it all just seems so--futile. I'm so detached and have no sense of meaning in life. I'm not suicidal. Just numb. Sad. Adrift.

The upside is that the things I used to get hung up on - making money, being as successful as possible - dont affect me in the least bit now.

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2020 5:43 PM

R27 get your thyroid checked immediately. You don't always gain a lot of weight with Hashimoto's. I had a complete thyroidectomy 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2020 1:27 AM

R15 I had the same experience. Grad school killed my love for reading as well.

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2020 1:43 AM

Thank you, R30, I will get it checked.

by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2020 7:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!