Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lana Del Rey covers George Gershwin's 1935 aria "Summertime"

What do we think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2020 12:53 AM

I'll take cultural appropriation for $1000, ghost of Alex.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2020 5:43 PM

R1 Gershwin, who wrote the song, was Jewish—obviously he was inspired by black soul music when writing it. Not sure if it qualifies as "cultural appropriation" though, especially Del Rey's covering of it a century later.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2020 5:49 PM

What’s next, Swanee River?!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2020 5:55 PM

Abomination

Entirely a product of studio production

She’s gotten even more fat

Those poor black back up singers, who have 10 times the voice that this white cunt does

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2020 6:05 PM

This made Leontyne Price puke. Barbara Hendricks puked, too.

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2020 6:18 PM

Is Strange Fruit on the B side?

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2020 6:25 PM

If Lana is going to get excoriated for cultural appropriation over stuff like this, then people like Jack White should also be getting raked over the coals. He built his career covering old blues songs written by southern black men, and that influence is all over his music—you can especially hear it in The White Stripes's earlier releases. And yet, I've never heard a single person point this out or scream "cultural appropriation!"

The problem with making cultural appropriation claims is that it's not always cut-and-dry where admiration/homage ends and "appropriation" begins. I genuinely believe people like Jack White (and even Lana, to a lesser extent) are true admirers of the music. I suppose Lana having three black backup singers could read as tone-deaf in the current climate, although she'd get the same flak (possibly more) if she'd had three white singers performing with her. It's a losing game either way.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2020 6:31 PM

what the fuck is this shit?

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2020 6:48 PM

I don't know her music. I know she dated a Republican cop and got shit for it.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2020 6:52 PM

Before reading R1 post, I had the absolute same reaction - cultural appropriation, and yes, those poor back up singer as mentioned by R4.

So if you don't think this is cultural appropriation, then you're probably okay with this song being played at Trump's next birthday...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2020 7:02 PM

Can someone please clarify what precisely makes this "cultural appropriation"? Is it the mere fact that the backup singers are black? This song was written by a white man.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2020 7:53 PM

All songs by sung by white singers are cultural appropriation of other races r11

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2020 8:11 PM

Ray Charles and the Young Caucasians!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2020 8:30 PM

Fantasia's rendition of "Summertime" was what won her the "Idol" crown.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2020 8:31 PM

[quote]Fantasia's rendition of "Summertime" was what won her the "Idol" crown.

Fantasia couldn't spell "rendition."

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2020 8:34 PM

Lana is a well-known racist and now she covers a song written about slavery???

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2020 8:37 PM

R16 how is she a "well-known racist"? Lol

by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2020 9:43 PM

Where is the cultural appropriation? Please explain.

As far as her interpretation of the song goes, all I can say is "Bless her heart".

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2020 9:49 PM

In the final analysis, Little Miss Grant is what America deserves right now.

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2020 10:16 PM

In this song, Doris Day demonstrates the opposite of cultural appropriation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2020 10:31 PM

In this song, Eminem demonstrates cultural appropriation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2020 10:35 PM

R20 Uh...could you explain further?

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2020 10:37 PM

That was trash. I feel bad for the back up singers too. Using black skin to seem...more authentic?

by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2020 11:21 AM

EVERYONE HATES LANA.

by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2020 11:50 AM

I actually like it.....it works with her xanax voice

by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2020 11:54 AM

It had some moments where it was fine. There’s too much nasal tone, or whatever the technical term for that mosquito-droning is.

The video... the less said, the better.

by Anonymousreply 26November 21, 2020 12:26 PM

Whats with the covid disclaimer? Also she is a fat pony now. I agree, those poor paid friends and trade musicians. Lana can manage some interesting tricks on record, but its mostly 1-trick pony tricks.

by Anonymousreply 27November 21, 2020 12:38 PM

I believe in cultural celebration not cultural appropriation. People who busy themselves with accusations of the latter are miserable twats who need to get laid.

Fight me.

by Anonymousreply 28November 21, 2020 12:55 PM

R28, "appropriation" does exist. You want the perfect example? Middle Eastern food that's been around for generations trying to be claimed by Israelis.

by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2020 1:54 PM

God, I hate this so much. I *adore* this song. Lana's version lacks the soul, pain and raw emotion of its predecessors. Ella is rolling in her grave.

by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2020 5:29 PM

[quote] If Lana is going to get excoriated for cultural appropriation over stuff like this, then people like Jack White should also be getting raked over the coals. He built his career covering old blues songs written by southern black men, and that influence is all over his music—you can especially hear it in The White Stripes's earlier releases. And yet, I've never heard a single person point this out or scream "cultural appropriation!"

Maybe that explains why I never liked The White Stripes. Their music had a feeling of "been there, done that". I never got the hype about them. I like Lana more than I like The White Stripes.

by Anonymousreply 31November 21, 2020 5:30 PM

R29 You know that many Israli’s are Mizarhi, Arab Jews, right? That food is as much theirs as it is any Muslim Arab.

by Anonymousreply 32November 21, 2020 5:38 PM

At her soul, she seems like a "Karen" trying to suppress it.

by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2020 5:54 PM

Oh girl, no. Shouldn't her voice, at the very least, have gotten a little deeper and richer with all that weight gain? I agree that Lana's thin wailing is an abomination with respect to this song.

by Anonymousreply 34November 21, 2020 5:59 PM

She's so annoying and so mildly talented

by Anonymousreply 35November 21, 2020 6:16 PM

awful, really awful

by Anonymousreply 36November 21, 2020 6:20 PM

R32? You know that I know that which is why I didn't say "Jewish." I said "Israeli." In fact one of my best friend is an Iraqi Jew. I said "ISRAELI." Don't think I didn't know exactly what I was saying. It's Israelis -including Ashkenazi Jews- who are trying to claim it as "Israeli" which is bullshit. It is preposterous how even the food gets the revisionist treatment from them and their even stupider defenders.

by Anonymousreply 37November 21, 2020 6:23 PM

friends*

by Anonymousreply 38November 21, 2020 6:24 PM

A bit of a tangent, but did she always look like Ivanka Trump?

by Anonymousreply 39November 21, 2020 7:21 PM

No, they looked different pre surgery. Facial reconstructions create a sameness.

by Anonymousreply 40November 21, 2020 8:25 PM

The “cultural appropriation” accusation is ridiculous. It’s a lovely rendition. DL would hate this song being sung by anyone under 75.

by Anonymousreply 41November 21, 2020 8:54 PM

The short-haired guitarist in the video, Blake Lee, has been with her since she started out. He's a great player, and he's cute as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 21, 2020 9:03 PM

Stuff your cultural appropriation, R1.

by Anonymousreply 43November 21, 2020 9:05 PM

What is this "cultural appropriation" crap?

She's singing a song, and she does it quite well.

by Anonymousreply 44November 21, 2020 9:23 PM

I'm pretty sure the girl "playing" the washboard in the video is Lana's hipster photographer sister, Caroline—she does most of Lana's photographs and album art.

by Anonymousreply 45November 21, 2020 9:26 PM

It's terrible. She's terrible. But anyone who thinks this is cultural appropriation is nuts or joking, unless they're saying Gershwin did the appropriating, not Lana Del Rey. And it's not about slavery.

by Anonymousreply 46November 21, 2020 9:33 PM

How can it be cultural appropriation when the song was written by a white man?

by Anonymousreply 47November 22, 2020 8:23 PM

r47 TWO (possibly three) white men. It has lyrics, you know.

by Anonymousreply 48November 23, 2020 12:45 AM

R37 fuck off you deranged anti semite.

by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2020 12:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!