Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hee-Haw

It was on CBS from 1969 to 1971, in syndication from 1971 to 1993, and then after a hiatus was on TNN from 1996-1997.

What was the appeal? Who watched it? Who wanted to see cornpone humor?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2020 1:37 AM

This was a stupidass show for the rural Deplorables belt.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2020 6:12 AM

Country music radio listeners watched TV too.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2020 6:28 AM

Future trump voters!

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2020 6:33 AM

My rural relatives.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2020 6:35 AM

It seemed pretty stupid, even back then. But Laugh-In did too, for that matter. They were two opposing peas in a pod.

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2020 6:37 AM

This and the Lawrence Welk Show, oh how I hated them!

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2020 6:41 AM

Loved Grandpa Jones, Minnie Pearl, Buck Owens, Roy Clark, & the rest. It was gentle fun.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2020 8:19 AM

I watched it when I was like 5 years old when my parents went out. I can't imagine adults being into it. Which Jewish big wig NYC agent came up with it? I read his autobiography, but I forgot.

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2020 8:59 AM

The music was excellent. Real country and bluegrass, not pop-country dreck.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2020 9:20 AM

It was Bernie Brillstein

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2020 9:30 AM

All of my extended family and friends of the family while I was growing up. 🙄 Some but not all also listened to country music, and some but not all were rural. It had a wide appeal that I can't really fathom now.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2020 11:20 AM

Look. I was in the Midwest. We had three stations. We did what we had to do. No, I'm not proud of it, but I made my choices.

It was Wide World of Sports, PBS, or Hee Haw.

How dare you judge me.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2020 11:56 AM

Old people who didn't live in the sticks watched it. They liked the predictability of the gags. Kindof like eldergays who are devoted to I Love Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2020 12:21 PM

It reminded my dad of the old local radio shows of his youth in the 1940s and the early 1950s corny TV shows, so he liked it.

It was also on back when there were only three networks, and syndicated shows aired at a weird time when network programming ended but before local news began. None of these syndicated shows were very good, I recall. One was Lawrence Welk, I think. So for a lot of people, I think Hee-Haw was the best of a bad lot.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2020 12:40 PM

The first episode.

Not that different from the last episode 25 years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2020 12:48 PM

My dad who grew up in Brooklyn loved this show, which I never understood. I did like the Hagar twins, though.

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2020 1:24 PM

My dad who grew up in Brooklyn loved this show, which I never understood. I did like the Hagar twins, though.

by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2020 1:24 PM

Loved LuLu!

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2020 1:49 PM

Hee-Haw: The Broadway Musical that never was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2020 1:52 PM

R18, I checked in Lulu at a hotel I was working at about 15 years ago. It wasn't long after she'd lost a lot of weight, and she was using a scooter to get around. I was very low-key during the check-in (as she acted like she didn't want to be noticed by fans...this was in Nashville, TN), but I told her I'd been a huge fan growing up (not a lie), and that if she needed anything during her stay to call me at the front desk. Later in the shift, she called and asked for me...she'd misplaced her cell phone in a meeting room (we had dozens of meeting rooms), and asked me if I'd mind tracking it down for her. She said--in her classic Lulu way--"You can't miss it, honey, because the home screen is my face from the 'Hee-Haw' days!" I tracked down what meeting room she'd been in, and thankfully found it and delivered it to her room. She didn't have any cash for a tip, but asked if she could give me a hug. Of course I accepted...she was a sweetheart and as down-to-earth as I thought she'd be.

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2020 1:55 PM

I'm sure they were all paid next to nothing for "Hee Haw."

That show really colored my view growing up of what the South was like--that and reruns of "The Andy Griffith Show." Neither show had black people on them.

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2020 4:31 PM

I loved Heehaw and still watched reruns on RFD a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2020 4:39 PM

I thought it was mildly funny but I was 10 years old.

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2020 4:59 PM

Oh god - will I have to watch this now?

you’re welcome!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2020 1:34 AM

It’s classic for the musical acts

by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2020 1:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!