Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CDC Alert: Don't travel for Thanksgiving

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended that Americans stay put for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday and celebrate only with their immediate households to help stop the spread of COVID-19.

“CDC is recommending against travel during the Thanksgiving period,” Dr. Henry Walke, the CDC’s COVID-19 incident manager, said in a press conference Thursday. “For Americans who decide to travel, CDC recommends doing so as safely as possible by following the same recommendations for everyday living.”

The official announcement is a “strong recommendation” and not a mandate required by law, but aims to serve in the interest of public health at a time when cases are rising at an alarming pace across the country, hospitalizations are reaching new peaks, and the death toll surpassed 250,000 this week.

“From an individual household level, what’s at stake is basically an increased chance of one of your loved ones becoming sick, and then hospitalized, and dying,” Dr. Walke said. “We certainly don’t want to see that happen. These times are tough. It’s been a long outbreak.”

Thursday’s announcement is also stricter than the agency’s prior suggestions for group gatherings that were criticized by leading physicians, who felt the guidelines were unrealistic and lacked a definitive stance, therefore setting the country up for another massive case spike.

Dr. Dara Kass, associate professor of emergency medicine at Columbia University Medical Center, has been vocal about her opposition to those suggestions, saying they gave “permission for people to be exceptions to the rule,” rather than “hard stops” and a “clear case of rules that people need to follow.”

During the pandemic, Dr. Kass noted that the CDC has made a habit of rolling back its own suggestions regarding public health and safety. This latest announcement comes just a week before Thanksgiving and just before the travel rush kicks off.

“I don't have time to wait for a retraction,” Dr. Kass said.

For those who already made plans but are now reconsidering how to spend the holiday, there’s time to recoup some financial losses. Major U.S. airlines like American Airlines, Delta, and United are honoring refunds, free change fees, or providing customers credits for future travel. Amtrak is also waiving change fees for reservations booked by Dec. 31.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 28, 2020 1:22 PM

Meanwhile in Oklahoma the Governor is telling people it's fine to travel for Thanksgiving and there's some dumb church in Tulsa having a huge Friendsgiving fest for thousands.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2020 2:10 AM

Does this apply to celebrities and politicians, as well, or just us nobodies?

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2020 2:13 AM

Now the CDC is trying to do the right thing. Only a year late

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2020 2:37 AM

Staying at home and having mother over who I see daily anyway.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2020 2:39 AM

I hope this makes traveling easier when I fly to visit family next week for Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2020 2:40 AM

Nice, R5.

Spread that virus around, and make sure you bring some back with you.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2020 2:46 AM

I'll be picking my aunt up at the salon and then heading to dinner at the French Laundry.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2020 2:49 AM

R7 = Deplorable

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2020 2:53 AM

I WILL TRAVEL ALL OVER THE WORLD

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2020 2:53 AM

[quote]These times are tough. It’s been a long outbreak.”

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2020 3:02 AM

The nervous nellies and chicken shits can stay home like they have been doing for months. Meanwhile, I'm getting on with life!

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2020 3:28 AM

R8

You don’t get it?

Newsom is Pelosi’s aunt by (former) marriage.

Hypocrisy is their brand.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2020 3:37 AM

Ha.

She is his aunt by former marriage.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2020 3:38 AM

Oh for pity's sake, The people bitching now are the same people who bitch at the inconvenience of having to visit relatives for the holidays.

Maybe for those alone it could be hard but for families? Please. Stay home and be thankful it's the turkey that's dead and not you.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2020 5:21 AM

If they think Thanksgiving is bad, wait until christmas!

The streets will be deserted.

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2020 6:47 PM

R15 is right, but only because everyone that just had to go out for Thanksgiving will either be sick at home, in the hospital, or dead. Not because they’ll actually wake up and realize 300,000 new cases a day means stay inside.

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2020 2:12 AM

[quote]everyone that just had to go out for Thanksgiving will either be sick at home, in the hospital, or dead.

Yes, every one of them. [eye roll]

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2020 3:16 AM

R9 = Covid19

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2020 4:16 AM

R16

Your family doesn’t want you.

Mask nazis are deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2020 4:37 AM

Then, the day after Thanksgiving, all the MAGA will go out and crowd together in stores across the land, spreading Covid wherever they go.

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2020 11:41 AM

DOn't, just Don't

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2020 11:46 AM

R20, I thought Black Friday was cancelled. Or did BLM reverse that?

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2020 12:51 PM

A lot of stores are closing for Thanksgiving day, but they'll all be open the day after. They have to be, it's the only time of year they have to climb back into the black.

by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2020 1:04 PM

Gotta feel sorry for medics and nurses.

They're about to be overwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2020 1:08 PM

MSNBC had a story about this earlier today.

Why are so many Americans so selfish?

by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2020 6:09 PM

People travel on Thanksgiving for the sake of others.

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2020 7:34 AM

I hadn't planned on it. I have six days off from work, and plenty of things to accomplish around the house, including assembling the Christmas tree!

But I'm sure 70 million people will ignore this, and end up overwhelming medical staff at hospitals, wondering what the hell happened.

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2020 8:06 AM

We are a nation of such selfish pussies. Imagine what we'd be like in an actual war.

No one is canceling Thanksgiving forever. No one is proposing mask mandates be permanent. We can forego one holiday season for the greater good but we won't simply because a significant portion of this nation are children who will stamp their feet and throw a tantrum if they don't get to do exactly what they want when they want.

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2020 8:16 AM

To late. Over 1 million people flew this past Friday 11/20. Almost a million more 11/21. No more empty middle rows. December is going to be a shitshow as the hospitals will be overwhelmed. Please try and put off your heart attacks, strokes, and car accidents in December and January. Please leave your calendars open for the first half of 2021 as it's predicted to reach 4000 deaths a day by March. You'll be attending alot of Zoom funerals.

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2020 10:05 AM

I had plans to meet friends at nice outdoor restaurant here in Los Angeles. They have now closed outdoor dining as of Wednesday so that means my options are to meet my friends inside their home for Thanksgiving OR be alone. I will likely be alone as they live a bit far.

I'll likely be making tacos or chili and eating it alone just like every other night as I live alone. Outdoor dining was NOT the issue in LA and closing it is forcing people to stay indoors where it is actually less safe.

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2020 10:22 AM

You'll be fine, R30.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with spending Thanksgiving alone at home.

Especially this year.

You'll actually be doing the RIGHT thing, compared to the assholes who are traveling all over the country, spreading Covid.

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2020 6:04 PM

They should refuse care to anyone who traveled. I don’t see why someone who followed the rules should get substandard care or no hospital bed so we can accommodate assholes who traveled?

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2020 6:18 PM

Because America is all about rewarding people who don't follow the rules.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2020 7:35 PM

r31, you are right. I'm looking forward to 4 days off from work and just chilling at home. Still, it would have been nice to see my friends as I haven't seen them since July.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2020 8:25 PM

[quote] To late.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2020 9:58 PM

We miss each other now so when we get back together no one is missing.

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2020 9:58 PM

^ I'm stealing that.

by Anonymousreply 37November 24, 2020 12:11 AM

Not gonna happen. We are gonna have a lot of dead grandmas come Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 38November 24, 2020 12:29 AM

I sincerely hope that everyone that travels for Thanksgiving dies a painful death from Covid-19. The selfish assholes deserve every tragedy coming their way.

by Anonymousreply 39November 24, 2020 12:42 AM

Yeah, and “have your Thanksgiving dinner OUTSIDE.” That’s really gonna happen too.

by Anonymousreply 40November 24, 2020 12:46 AM

Rofl R38!

Can you please turn that into a Public Service Announcement?

by Anonymousreply 41November 24, 2020 12:52 AM

The airports were packed with inconsiderate morons this weekend.

I'm not going outside for two months.

by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2020 5:38 AM

Hahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 43November 24, 2020 7:33 AM

I'll be in the airport tomorrow with out a mask, bye!

by Anonymousreply 44November 24, 2020 7:34 AM

[quote] The airports were packed with inconsiderate morons this weekend.

They sure were. My local news station interviewed one such “darling” who flew up from Florida (shocking) because “I haven’t seen them since August!” Bitch, I haven’t been able to hug my mother since March because I’m not going to risk her life and you’re bitching about 3 months?

Then she said, “and I haven’t been around anyone in a week anyway, so....”

I screamed at the TV, “Did you just get off that plane alone you stupid cunt? You were just with people.”

I can’t deal with the stupidity and arrogance.

by Anonymousreply 45November 24, 2020 11:04 AM

This year they're bringing Covid instead of the traditional smallpox.

by Anonymousreply 46November 24, 2020 7:22 PM

I just unfriend a guy I've known since high school on facebook. This past year, while most of us were heeding the warnings and staying home, he was posting pictures of himself and his boyfriend traveling all over the states. First he was in Colorado, then South Dakota, then back to Colorado for a huge family wedding, then to Mexico, then back to California. In the pictures from these events, absolutely no one was wearing masks. A mutual friend's father died from Covid after getting it from his son who had no symptoms but was positive. She wrote to our friend and asked him why he thought he couldn't get it or give it to his family and his response was, "Now is the time to see family!" He has 14 siblings (Catholic) and no one in his family apparently believes Covid is something to worry about. I have been really disgusted seeing his posts. Yesterday he "checked in" to Las Vegas and then posted he was "off to Colorado for his family Thanksgiving." I unfriended him. I cannot take the stupidity anymore.

I mean, I know it's still only at 4% of the population testing positive and maybe no one in his family will catch it, but the fact that he doesn't seem to give a fuck is what I cannot abide.

by Anonymousreply 47November 24, 2020 10:46 PM

I don't blame you, R47.

People like that have absolutely no conscience.

They need a kick in the head.

Selfish fucks!

by Anonymousreply 48November 24, 2020 11:42 PM

[quote] Meanwhile in Oklahoma the Governor is telling people it's fine to travel for Thanksgiving and there's some dumb church in Tulsa having a huge Friendsgiving fest for thousands.

To be fair R1, I’d appreciate an in person report from LGA this week.

It isn’t all (or even a majority) of people from Staten Island.

People are ignoring the warnings left or right.

by Anonymousreply 49November 24, 2020 11:48 PM

Airlines are saying more people are traveling by plane for T-Day than in 2018

by Anonymousreply 50November 25, 2020 12:15 AM

Lovely, R50.

Just when you thought that the American public could not get any dumber.

They continue to lower the bar.

by Anonymousreply 51November 25, 2020 12:56 AM

I'm r47. My best friend just got her test results back today and she's positive. We almost went out to eat on Sunday but she cancelled saying she didn't feel well. Lost her sense of taste and smell. Her case so far seems to be mild, but she almost died earlier this year from a heart issue so I hope it doesn't get worse.

Assume everyone has it. And fuck anyone who is "gathering" for Thanksgiving with people they don't live with.

by Anonymousreply 52November 25, 2020 12:59 AM

R39

You are a fantastic example of the mental illness that arises when people are trapped away from other human beings for too long. Please seek professional mental health.

by Anonymousreply 53November 25, 2020 3:55 AM

R48

Stay scared of the virus, it makes you compliant.

If we tell you to stand on your heads and count to 10 in German, you will do it if we tell you it will protect you from the virus. You people are fucking stupid. This virus has a 99.99% recovery rate for everyone under the age of 70.

by Anonymousreply 54November 25, 2020 4:53 AM

^ too stupid to live. Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 55November 25, 2020 6:02 AM

I am shocked at the number of people who are actually traveling. People really don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 56November 25, 2020 10:28 AM

A lot of people have completely removed themselves from reality over the last several years, I don't know why, and I don't know what can be done about it.

I know I told my story on Facebook about how my bf and I did everything right and still got it, and literally no one said anything. Not a single "hope you're feeling better soon" or anything. Meanwhile a couple of people were posting photos of their packing for long vacations with family over Thanksgiving and getting a ton of "have a safe trip" and not a single "you sure about that, there's a pandemic" reply.

Everyone's just checked out, completely selfish, obsessing about themselves. They're so spoiled that they can't handle even the thought of missing a holiday so they pretend like the pandemic isn't happening.

by Anonymousreply 57November 25, 2020 11:23 AM

R54, why do you think it’s death or nothing? Who wants to be sick with potential life-long deleterious effects? For that matter, who wants to be sick at all, especially during the holidays?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 25, 2020 12:52 PM

I really hope that Joe Biden can change the national conscience, when he takes office.

Hopefully he'll help Americans to regain their humanity, rather than being so goddamned selfish (like Trump).

by Anonymousreply 59November 25, 2020 1:52 PM

[quote] Airlines are saying more people are traveling by plane for T-Day than in 2018

I don’t think that’s accurate. My local news published the numbers as reported and this year about 1/3 of the people traveled from last year’s figure.

2019: 9,320,484

2020: 3,969,493

So I doubt less than 3.9M travelers flew in 2018.

by Anonymousreply 60November 25, 2020 9:08 PM

It’s been just reported that a person with no symptoms infected four others on a flight from Dubai to New Zealand. They were all wearing masks and doing everything asked of them, but still...

I also heard that airline travel is down by a third or more.

There are a number of people I love who are over 60 and over 70. I don’t think we should discount them like they are nothing. Based on my folks, my siblings should live to an average of 90. That’s another 20 years for the oldest.

by Anonymousreply 61November 25, 2020 11:07 PM

I’m having a zoom family gathering tomorrow. I don’t know how that will work out. May make me miss them more than not seeing them at all.

by Anonymousreply 62November 25, 2020 11:10 PM

Beats killing eachother.

by Anonymousreply 63November 25, 2020 11:12 PM

Feeling smug here in Victoria, Australia. 27 days with no new infections and no known infections in the community. If we stay the same tomorrow we can say we have accomplished eradication. We still wear masks indoors where there are others, we socially distance, and we don’t gather in large groups. Too bad we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, but Christmas is looking good for visiting.

by Anonymousreply 64November 25, 2020 11:15 PM

But its your summer. And are you testing the general pop? Covid is with you. Count on it.

by Anonymousreply 65November 25, 2020 11:29 PM

Like the Force.

by Anonymousreply 66November 25, 2020 11:38 PM

I’m happy for you, Victoria. How’d you do it?

by Anonymousreply 67November 25, 2020 11:41 PM

Our family is having a Zoom Thanksgiving dinner and we plan on doing the same thing for Christmas. There’s no reason to kill grandma just to celebrate the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 68November 26, 2020 12:14 AM

Well, unless she doesn’t help with the cooking.

by Anonymousreply 69November 26, 2020 12:48 AM

Hide in hole, Pierre.

Considering the 99.99% survival rate, you should probably reassess your danger of dying.

by Anonymousreply 70November 26, 2020 4:32 AM

I’m sad to not visit my mother, but it’s not worth the risk getting there, and giving the covid to her. Elderly people have a very low survival rate, and I’d rather be safe than sorry.

by Anonymousreply 71November 26, 2020 4:37 AM

Because one survives Covid doesn't mean one is restored to one's pre-Covid state of health, moron.

by Anonymousreply 72November 26, 2020 4:38 AM

R 70 Considering that one of the 262,000 Americans dead from COVID may be someone you loved, why not reconsider and stay home?

by Anonymousreply 73November 26, 2020 4:39 AM

I don’t know anyone who is traveling for Thanksgiving or attending a large gathering.

by Anonymousreply 74November 26, 2020 4:41 AM

R70, it's the death, serious illness, and lack of full recovery total percentage that I'm concerned about. Those things combined - what are the percentage of patients who have none of these things?

by Anonymousreply 75November 26, 2020 4:59 AM

R47, I hope you said something when you unfriended. Stating why.

These people need to hear it.

by Anonymousreply 76November 26, 2020 5:07 AM

My “bubble”, which includes two specific friends, will have Thanksgiving together. We all agreed to quarantine in advance of the holiday. That way we can enjoy it together.

by Anonymousreply 77November 26, 2020 5:15 AM

Add to r75 the idea that before long we could exceed hospital capacity. That means people with any medical emergency won't be able to get help. I've posted this on various FB replies to articles and the trumpsters think it's the MSM creating hysterics. One woman who stated that had studied nursing....Fox has mastered the art of brainwashing.

by Anonymousreply 78November 26, 2020 5:47 AM

r77, I know a few people who did that agreeing to quarantine thing and I know for a fact that one of the people just said they hadn't gone out, when, in fact they had.

by Anonymousreply 79November 26, 2020 6:23 AM

I flew to see family for Thanksgiving earlier this week and I’m still alive, but don’t know how long that will last. We have eaten in restaurants several times since I have arrived, and I or my family may catch Covid from that, independent of the traveling. Let’s keep our fingers crossed that we will all stay well.

by Anonymousreply 80November 26, 2020 7:11 AM

Why are you being so stupid and irresponsible, R80?

by Anonymousreply 81November 26, 2020 8:17 AM

i live alone and nothing to do on Thanksgiving. so few weeks ago, i decided to travel and i’m now here in Egypt. Surprisingly, they have manage the covid crisis here well. idk but looks like Africa is doing better than most other continents.

by Anonymousreply 82November 26, 2020 8:23 AM

[quote] R77, I know a few people who did that agreeing to quarantine thing and I know for a fact that one of the people just said they hadn't gone out, when, in fact they had.

That's exactly what I was thinking R79.

How do you know that the other people are abiding by the "quarantine?"

And I highly doubt that what you all are practicing is a real quarantine. To do it properly, you would literally not leave your respective homes for 14 days before your get-together, and I highly doubt that any or all of you have done that.

by Anonymousreply 83November 26, 2020 8:56 AM

Only 44 Covid cases have occurred via flying.

by Anonymousreply 84November 26, 2020 12:51 PM

R83, my boyfriend and I just completed 14 days of quarantine but we did it together. Neither of us trusted him not to break it if he was on his own. We did it so we could spend Thanksgiving with his elderly mother.

by Anonymousreply 85November 26, 2020 2:06 PM

The only way to fly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86November 26, 2020 2:07 PM

R85, thats really very sweet.

by Anonymousreply 87November 26, 2020 2:09 PM

The deaths per 100,000 people in the United States for the year 2020 will be lower than the rate for 2018.

If Covid is killing so many people, why is the death rate lower than it was two years ago?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 28, 2020 3:28 AM

r88, that is interesting. I've been looking for a comparison of deaths in 2020 to prior years. It's not at all what I expected.

by Anonymousreply 89November 28, 2020 4:00 AM

r88, you’re hurting the narrative. Please focus on how we will die if we leave our house.

by Anonymousreply 90November 28, 2020 6:44 AM

[quote] If Covid is killing so many people, why is the death rate lower than it was two years ago?

Because of the lockdowns, stay at home orders, and business closures.

In a typical year, people are interacting, traveling, on the road, at work, etc. etc.

This year, people were mostly at home. Either under quarantine, or working from home.

Less cars on the road, less social interaction, and less everything.

Most deaths occur because of people interacting with each other. When no one is interacting, the majority of deaths are disease related. Cancer, heart attacks, COVID, etc.

That's why the numbers are down.

It's really not that hard to figure out, unless you're LOOKING for a reason to justify your selfishness.

by Anonymousreply 91November 28, 2020 7:20 AM

R89

John’s Hopkins University had this on their website for a few days, published by one of their researchers.

After someone started focusing social media attention on it, Johns Hopkins deleted it from their webpage. Thank God it has been archived!

On January 1 we should ask people how many more people died in 2020 than in an average year over the last decade.

Maybe finding out that 2020 had fewer overall fatalities than 2018 might shake these people out of their zombie coma.

by Anonymousreply 92November 28, 2020 7:23 AM

R88

“Well it’s raining out and so far my umbrella has kept me dry. I think I’ll close it now.”

(Closes umbrella and gets wet)

uMbReLlAs dOn’T wOrK!!!!11!one!!

by Anonymousreply 93November 28, 2020 12:54 PM

[quote]Less cars on the road

More “oh, dears.”

by Anonymousreply 94November 28, 2020 1:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!