Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How "Personal" Has COVID Been For You?

By that I mean: Have you lost any family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc.?

Strangely enough, I have not. At least not that I'm aware of. Hope it stays that way.

by Anonymousreply 95November 21, 2020 3:09 PM

my nephew's girlfriend's grandfather passed away from it.. he was only 62...

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2020 1:02 AM

I had it in January - that was pretty personal.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2020 1:11 AM

Extremely. I come out of quarantine tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2020 1:12 AM

My husband had it in June. He was sick as fuck for three weeks. oddly I didn't catch it from him.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2020 1:13 AM

Close friends who are like family lost their 20 year old son. He had underlying conditions but it was still a shock. My 23 year old niece had it pretty bad over Easter but after a six week recovery, no lingering symptoms. Several friends and coworkers have lost parents and siblings.

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2020 1:19 AM

I got it in mid-March...mild case but still agonizing for about 72 hours. My husband got it really bad and ended up in the hospital. It was fucking terrifying and for a few dark days I thought he was going to die. The whole experience was pretty traumatizing. He’s fully recovered, but every once in awhile now I spontaneously hug him *tight* Just to feel that he’s alive.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2020 1:19 AM

A co-worker's father died from it.

A friend was in the hospital and almost died.

It doesn't fuck around, so the anti-maskers can fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2020 1:21 AM

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2020 1:21 AM

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2020 1:21 AM

My brother, sister-in-law, nephew and other in laws. All survived, but some still have long term disabilities.

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2020 1:23 AM

I've personally known 8 people who've died, including my partner's mother and my immediate boss. I know dozens of others peripherally. I'm in Seattle, ground zero last spring.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2020 1:28 AM

Two co-workers died at the end of March. Not sure if it was COVID or not, but their deaths were quick. Another co-worker's father died in January. He went from fine to sick to hospitalized to dead in two weeks, so make of that what you will.

I know about 10 people who have had it and recovered.

I also know three friends of friends whom I'd met over the years who have died, plus the lovely lady who ran the bakery in Japantown.

And add about six people who I did not know personally, but that are friends / relatives of people I know well.

It's eerily similar to the early days of the AIDS crisis, where you'd run into someone and they'd say 'Do you remember so-and-so?' and you just knew what was coming next

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2020 1:30 AM

I had it in February/March, but had zero antibodies by May. One death at work, several hospitalizations. Several friends have lost family members. A dear friend is currently in the hospital. I got told today that I may have been exposed (at work) and now I get to quarantine over the holiday.

Fuck 2020.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2020 1:43 AM

Fortunately, I don't know anyone who has contracted Covid. I own a business and my clients are able to come in the office with masks if they want to. We wear them as well. Very few have come in. They can do business without contact if they wish. I am in the insurance industry.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2020 1:43 AM

Just one person. A friend in their 60’s. Recovered with some on -going lung problems.

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2020 1:44 AM

I lost my uncle in April. Sadly, he had finally sold his duplex and moved into an old-age home just two months before because he found the stairs were becoming a challenge and because he wanted the company.

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2020 1:53 AM

Just my 42-year-old niece in Texas. Thankfully, she had what turned out to be a mild case, though she did say there were very scary moments when she could not catch her breath. She appears to have had a complete recovery, however, and no lingering side effects that I know of. I'm so thankful for that, too, because I remember how terrified I was when my sister told me she had it.

by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2020 1:54 AM

A co-worker had it and recovered. There have deaths in my town due to covid but I don't know anyone personally.

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2020 1:56 AM

Luckily, I don't know of anyone personally and that's great. My brother had 2 co-workers die and another client.

I just know of cases from friends' family and their circles.

It doesn't make me feel any more secure.

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2020 1:59 AM

Close friend was sick for 7 weeks. Fucked up his GI tract. This was in April. He’s still not 100%. 2 co-workers tested positive but were asymptomatic. I may have had it early on, but Dr advises against antibody test.

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2020 2:01 AM

A co-worker died from it and I had long Covid. I'm better now but it took me 6 months to get there.

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2020 2:02 AM

I would be fucked either way because I have 11 head steers that won't go away.

And we're all on a years-long situational engineer right now, but only a few thousand people and a handful of animals know it.

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2020 2:05 AM

A client at my office died, she was a really sweet lady. And my boss' next door neighbor died too. I have had several friends recover.

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2020 2:14 AM

R22 “ Dr advises against antibody test.” why??

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2020 2:15 AM

My 91 YO mother was diagnosed a week ago this past Monday. She is in assisted living. She started complaining of a cough and is now feeling week. Got back a second positive test today. We can’t get in to see her.

An anti-mask couple that live in the facility were supposed to be going to eat somewhere outside with just their two children. They ended up going to bonefish grill, which does not have outside seating, with a group friends, and brought back the virus for everyone in their bridge group.

I am all over the map right now.

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2020 2:20 AM

R25 - that's the horror and frustration of this whole thing. That couple should be somehow held responsible, but there's no way of doing that - except maybe public shaming and calling them out.

People are irresponsible and it's just - whoopsie, what are you gonna do?

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2020 2:23 AM

Six degrees of separation.

So the brother of the best friend of my boss: dead of Covid.

The best friend of the husband of my kids' babysitter: dead of Covid at the age of 34.

A colleague in the same profession as me: dead of Covid. In his 40s.

Parents of a friend of mine: dead of Covid.

I do have to say I've noticed a huge majority of the younger people who have died are people of color or foreign people who emigrated to the U.S. They seem to be more vulnerable.

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2020 2:28 AM

My Uncle had two strokes while having it, my co-worker's mother died from it.

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2020 2:29 AM

I know r26. And my mother says that she is at a stage in her life where she can expend energy being mad. But the truth is probably that she was right there with them about the masks. She is a huge trumper. I know I am opening myself up here by saying that.

So like I said, all over the map.

by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2020 2:31 AM

My niece had it a month ago. A close friend of 30 years died from it in April.

by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2020 2:34 AM

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2020 2:52 AM

As far as I know it hasn't touched me or anyone I know at all other then the general inconvenience of the last year. I'll find out for certain Monday when I take the test in preparation for a scheduled minor surgical procedure.

by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2020 2:53 AM

My mother died in April.

She was in a rehab in January and early February. I flew across the country to see her Feb. - my brother lives near her but he was going out of down on business and I tried to carry my share of the burden whenever I could, which was often I'm glad to say.

We had about nine days together. I spent at least 1 to 3 hours a day with her. I brought her chocolates and a People magazine. We talked a lot.

I called her best friend from college and handed my mom my cell phone and they spoke briefly and her voice lit up.

My brother came back into down. I decided to go back to where I live on the other side of the country. I said to my mom when I was leaving: "I'll either see you in April or on the other side."

Part of me just knew. After I got home, the COVID news broke and they stopped letting visitors visit the rehab. She died alone, but she had spent so much of her life alone, being widowed at a young age.

I pray somewhere somehow she and my father are together again.

Someday we'll have a memorial. I hope. I wasn't close with my siblings so it worked out that we didn't get together. The one who took care of her -- his wife is a bitch. My mom wasn't the easiest person, but I told her: I'd be the first to tell you if you were in the wrong, but sis in law is a bitch. She just is. Passive aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2020 2:58 AM

Well I had it a month ago. Not really a big deal, just sort of like a cold. Don't see what everybody is so upset about. I mean I just got in my limo and had them drive me to the hospital where they pumped me full of really top, tip-top - I don't know, people are saying, some people said they were the best medications ever. But I totally would have beaten it anyhow, because I'm in excellent shape, top-notch shape, a very stable shape. Lots of people - some of them, the best people - caught it from attending a little party I was having in my wife's rose garden. They all seem to be doing well, most of them. No biggie, like I said. There was the one guy, black, nobody liked him - he died. I didn't know him well. I think maybe he brought me coffee a couple of times.

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2020 3:11 AM

My cousin and her husband are in the NYC area and they caught it early on. Both recovered. She works in a nursing home and several residents there unfortunately contracted and passed away from COVID.

Another cousin and his two kids had it over the summer. He is a doctor and I am assuming he got it from work. They have all recovered.

My aunt’s 38 year old co-worker died from COVID in September. No underlying health issues, was a healthy weight and athletic.

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2020 3:28 AM

One of my best friends died of COVID complications on May 29. He felt ill on the morning of the previous day, collapsed and put on a ventilator that evening, and passed on the afternoon of the following day. My cousin and her husband, both having preexisting conditions, died during the summer within 3 weeks of each other. I tested positive for COVID on March 30, had intermittent fever for almost three months, and still suffer with a mono like tiredness.

by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2020 3:37 AM

After being hospitalised with Covid (then just called “Corona virus”) for ten days in January and thinking that I was recovering I was hospitalised again in July with blood clots on both lungs and one behind each knee - no other cause identified other than the growing understanding that Covid causes blood clots after an earlier “recovery”. Another week in hospital - initially in intensive care then acute care then an isolation room.

I am now having tests to see if there’s damage to the heart muscle as that is another possible issue subsequent to Covid infection.

I lost my job (Covid economy impact) just before the second hospitalisation. My job now is to continue to work on my health - usually three doctors’ appointments each week - while trying not to worry about living off my savings, never getting another job and whatever surprises that Covid still has in store for me.

Next week I have a PET-CT scan on Monday (radioactive dye injected into me then a CT scan), a DVT ultrasound on Tuesday and an appointment with a vascular surgeon on Wednesday to look at how the clots are going.

Not at all the year that I was hoping for. Wear a fucking mask!

by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2020 5:18 AM

I've only met two people who've had it. No friends or family.

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2020 5:24 AM

I am pretty sure a couple of my aunts had it. They were really sick with COVID like symptoms, doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with them, but they refused to get the test.

by Anonymousreply 39November 20, 2020 5:25 AM

r37 I too had the blood clots (got Covid in April, diagnosed pneumonia in July, diagnosed with blood clots in September), my doctor put me on heparin and it was a game changer for me. See if your doctor will put you on heparin, I am about 90% back to normal now, before I had to take months off of work. I believe for some that Corona becomes a persistent infection that we cannot clear (it can hide in areas of the brain or eye where immune system can't get to it), heparin binds the spike protein and I think that's why I feel so much better on it.

My doctor ran a full hypercoagulation panel and I had a lot of elevated numbers, more than just elevated D-dimer.

by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2020 11:10 AM

I had it in August, and I'm in healthcare. I've seen many people who have it...Those who have it for a couple weeks, those who are true 'long haulers', those who emerge unscathed, those who have persistent problems, and those who did not survive. How any dumbfuck can believe Covid is a 'hoax' I do not know. I cannot fathom that level if delusion

by Anonymousreply 41November 20, 2020 11:33 AM

Two coworkers had it, the husband of one of the coworkers ended up in ICU for 3 weeks (a guy in his forties, no preexisting conditions), at least 2 of my close friends had it. My kid niece probably had it (strong suspicion but no tests available at the time) and she recovered easily.

by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2020 12:08 PM

Lost 4 former coworkers after I quit a job at a company, which I correctly guessed, would not protect employees. I was close to one of the coworkers.

Also personally know a few people who had it and recovered, without any negative long term effects, so far.

My stepfather lost a close friend and former colleague last week, and is attending his funeral tomorrow. I hope my stepdad wears a mask, however, he’s not the type to do so.

I know that the city I live in has had high rates of infections, as well as neighboring communities. So far, I’m OK, and I wear masks, gloves, and social distance whenever necessary.

by Anonymousreply 43November 20, 2020 12:20 PM

A cousin who I grew up with died of COVID a few weeks ago. She was 60 and had underlying conditions. Two cousins and an aunt also had serious cases over the past few months, but survived. A few co-workers have had deaths in their families. My primary care doctor had it back in March. He said he’s pretty sure he knows which patient gave it to him, which wasn’t the patient’s fault since masking wasn’t part of the protocol yet.

The more troubling cases for me were in laws of one of my brothers. These in laws were often at my brother’s home at times when he also had our 74 year old mother over. Despite my warnings, my mother continued going over there and I’d see pics of them all unmasked on FB. Totally predictable that several of these in laws eventually were either exposed to COVID or got it themselves. Fortunately, my mom never got it.

by Anonymousreply 44November 20, 2020 12:37 PM

I know 6 people who had Covid, ages 18, 27, 33, 65, 72 and 80.

The 27 year old died. No obesity, no asthma. He had a cold 6 weeks before he tested positive, so I imagine his immune system may still have been low, but who knows.

With the exception of the 18 year old and the 65 year old, all the others had at least 2 co-morbidities. Only the 72 year old and the 27 year old were hospitalised.

by Anonymousreply 45November 20, 2020 12:48 PM

[R25], if you need any help kicking their asses, please ask here first. I'm down. Find out where they live. Slash their tyres. Don't even think about being nice and turning the other cheek. Make the fuckers pay for what they've done to you and your family.

by Anonymousreply 46November 20, 2020 12:51 PM

[quote] I may have had it early on, but Dr advises against antibody test.

Interesting. My doctor had them check for antibodies when they did my annual physical. Came back negative.

I lost my sense of smell and taste for 8 days back at the end of March. It was a Sunday so I emailed my doctor. He got back to me right away and told me that, unless I had other symptoms, not to go to the hospital. They were only testing people with multiple symptoms at that point. I never developed a fever, cough, fatigue, or anything else.

I still don't know what caused my sense of taste and smell to go away. I'm 62 and it's never happened before

by Anonymousreply 47November 20, 2020 12:57 PM

I don't know anyone who's had it or anyone who knows someone who's had it.

by Anonymousreply 48November 20, 2020 1:03 PM

I'm still in quarantine because my bf had it, he seems fine now but did nothing but sleep for several days, he just couldn't wake up because he was so tired. Also had a terrible headache for several days. Only a couple of fever spikes and never did have a cough, but had congestion that was exactly like having bad seasonal allergies. Now his sense of smell is still muted.

We thought it was allergies for days because he kept having sneezing fits and everything online said you don't get sneezing fits with COVID, but a nurse at our clinic said she'd seen several COVID patients who had entirely nasal and head congestion and no chest congestion, so she ordered the test, thankfully.

by Anonymousreply 49November 20, 2020 1:03 PM

I'm in quarantine because I was diagnosed with COPD about three years ago. I've had a couple family members get it. One young ish, in his 20's got a mild case in July, and one older relative got it in March at a retirement party for his friend. He got sick, started to get better, then he got REAL sick was hospitalized, on a ventilator for four days, then he died. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 50November 20, 2020 1:10 PM

I know a few young people who got it and had no symptoms. I’ve known of people who know other people that have had it and been more sick, but not personally. One person on FB had a mother who died from it, she was in her eighties. My mother lives on an island and no one has gotten it there, so she thinks it’s fake.

by Anonymousreply 51November 20, 2020 1:19 PM

The thing that scares me is how unpredictable it is. I mean some people get sick, and die and others recover but have complications, and still others get it and recover after a mild bout. You just don't know how it will affect you.

My friend's sister is a Microbiologist. She said she believes it is the "viral load" you're exposed to, and the state of your health prior to exposure that determines how badly it affects you. So like, if you're exposed to it for like five minutes at a supermarket and you're wearing your mask, and you are generally avoiding people, yes you can get it but it will be mild.

If you're a worker who is in an indoor, unprotected situation like the people who work at meat processing plants, and it's impossible to social distance, then your daily exposure for hours at a time will make it rougher. Same with healthcare workers. If you work in an ICU, and you do not take extreme measures to protect yourself you are screwed.

I don't know if this is all true, but she made me feel braver about going to the supermarket. Now I make my list, I know where everything is, and I'm in and out in ten minutes wearing my mask. I will say, I'm washing my hands a lot, and yeah, I wipe everything down before I put it away, when I go shopping.

by Anonymousreply 52November 20, 2020 1:19 PM

No deaths, but two friends have had it (one has the lingering windedness thing) and currently one coworker and one coworker's kid have it.

by Anonymousreply 53November 20, 2020 1:21 PM

[R52] I think that makes sense. Many people don’t know factory or meat packing workers so that’s why it hasn’t affected our lives as much. One thing I have noticed from reading the local news is that the impact is greatest in the Hispanic community a few counties over, most likely they have risky jobs. No one I know personally has been sick because we work from home etc.

by Anonymousreply 54November 20, 2020 1:25 PM

R31

Too soon.

by Anonymousreply 55November 20, 2020 1:31 PM

And the people who work in restaurants and bars are exposed both to one another and to customers. I've had take out on several occasions, trying to support our local independent restaurants, and the ones I've used are scrupulous with their workers. Everyone in a mask and gloves, temperatures taken before every shift, and as much social distancing as possible. They even limit the amount of conversation in the work place. But none of these places have dine-in right now. When the weather permitted, they had people sit outside, but now that it's cold, no way.

by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2020 1:32 PM

I think I had COVID in January, but no way to confirm that now.

Two coworkers came down with it despite working from home. Both are females, in shape. One is 43 and suffered mostly from debilitating headaches.

A teacher had it and he described it as bad allergy.

The other is around 30 and she got it bad, despite being in shape, she has a thyroid issue and this may have contributed to her misery.

Aside from that I know of cases from friends of friends and their extended families ranging from mild cases to those requiring hospitalization, but no deaths.

by Anonymousreply 57November 20, 2020 1:52 PM

Haven't seen my mother, declining with Alzheimer's (in her mid-60s), since January.

I'm taking a big risk and driving home for the first couple of weeks in December. More or less isolating with my parents. Have myself been getting tested 2x - 3x a week (for work), won't start driving until I get a negative test immediately before I depart, plan on getting tested periodically while home. Driving straight thru, sleeping in car if necessary, no hotels. Refuse to fly.

I know I am taking a risk. Perhaps I am selfish. But it would break my heart if something happened and I never saw my mom again -- or at least saw her when she was still quasi-coherent.

by Anonymousreply 58November 20, 2020 1:59 PM

[R58] You are not being selfish. There are risks to be weighed with everything, and seeing your elderly mother is very important.

by Anonymousreply 59November 20, 2020 2:02 PM

My aunt as well as my partner’s uncle & grandmother have all died from it.

I have lost count of how many coworkers have had it, and my boss has the long tail symptoms where she’s just constantly short of breath & exhausted.

I haven’t gotten it, but also haven’t really left the house since March. Partner has asthma and we don’t want to take any chances.

by Anonymousreply 60November 20, 2020 2:04 PM

Thanks r59.

I miss my mom so damn much

by Anonymousreply 61November 20, 2020 2:05 PM

I road tripped from NYC to Chicago last month to visit elderly parents and it worked out. I was nervous but I've been unemployed and living by myself in quarantine. I rented a car and wore a KN95 whenever I was around people or having to use a rest area bathroom or anything. I made it there and back and stayed for a week without bringing or getting or any infections. Just be sensible and don't take any risks and it should be fine. I was nervous about it but in the end I'm very glad I took the trip and got to see them. So many people are just careless that simply being a little bit cautious you're already ahead of 95% of people.

Beyond that my entire industry has shut down, many people I know have had it to varying degrees of severity, and there are multiple deaths of people one degree away. We got it early and hard in NYC and we've been doing so well; it's a shame to see our numbers trending back up again.

by Anonymousreply 62November 20, 2020 2:26 PM

I've been stuck working from home and eating like a pig!

by Anonymousreply 63November 20, 2020 2:40 PM

I am caregiver for an elderly parent so we haven't really left the house too much since March. We get curbside delivery whenever possible and wear medical-grade masks if entering a building. We're washing hands and wiping down groceries. I had a hospital stay (non-Covid) in May and thankfully nothing developed, but the staff were all being very careful. We live in a pro-mask region, so most people abide by the precautionary rules.

Two friends had it, one briefly hospitalized; a work contact and her husband had it, mild symptoms; a college friend's mother died of it, age 70.

by Anonymousreply 64November 20, 2020 2:58 PM

Everyone I know who’s had Covid has recovered. I don’t know anyone directly who has been hospitalized or has died. There are relatives of acquaintances who have, though.

I’m in Manhattan, and I only include that information because NYC took a lot of fire for being an early hotspot.

by Anonymousreply 65November 20, 2020 3:21 PM

1) I had it in January. Although I was never intubated, it was a bad experience.

2) I am the CEO of a company with 420 employees in 6 states. We’ve had 2 deaths, 19 people test positive, of which 3 are currently hospitalized.

by Anonymousreply 66November 20, 2020 3:24 PM

I've had a few friends get it early on; as far as I know they're doing fine now and never had to be hospitalized. My aunt/uncle/cousins down south all got it, but with mild or no symptoms—they're hardcore deplorables and so were probably mocking and flouting the basic precautions.

by Anonymousreply 67November 20, 2020 3:26 PM

Husband and I had it in June. It sucked for me. No symptoms for him. We had it, got better, and moved on.

by Anonymousreply 68November 20, 2020 3:31 PM

R52 Thank you so much for your post. I am not a microbiologist, but what you wrote is the conclusion I came to around May. It's very much about the viral load. Which is why I spend most of my time at home, only with my partner who I beg not to go to work and work from home instead.

I have asthma so there's no way I'm getting near this thing.

All the stories here are heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 69November 20, 2020 3:42 PM

R24. She does t think antibodies will show up after 9 months and doesn’t want me to have a false sense if security if they do. I have high blood pressure and she had lost a few patients who that was their only underlying condition. I trust her.

by Anonymousreply 70November 20, 2020 3:43 PM

It killed my brother in law

by Anonymousreply 71November 20, 2020 3:52 PM

Just a few deplorable relatives have it. So far.

by Anonymousreply 72November 20, 2020 3:54 PM

Oh, and my husband’s best friend (works in a hospital) got it early on, had to be hospitalized for 10 days, put on his stomach, etc and the day he was discharged from the hospital, his mother was admitted for it. His uncle died of it.

by Anonymousreply 73November 20, 2020 4:00 PM

Lost my aunt to it. Another relative died with it but was dying from something else so not sure if it hastened his end or not. Two other cousins and three friends have or have had it. Not hospitalised thankfully although one friend is only a few days in. Horrid illness.

by Anonymousreply 74November 20, 2020 4:04 PM

My mom passed away from it in her skilled care facility. I flew out across the country when she was in hospice but I wasn’t let in (even with PPE available) so I had to watch her day after day from a window outside in the parking lot as she declined and then died in front of me with the window between us. It was the most horrible experience in my life and I saw firsthand how little CNAs/nurses truly care at the end of life—we had to ask them to put her stuffed tiger in her hand just to have something to hold on to because they wouldn’t do those little caring things for her.

by Anonymousreply 75November 20, 2020 4:34 PM

A co-worker had 8 relatives die from it.

by Anonymousreply 76November 20, 2020 4:41 PM

I'm so very sorry for your loss, r75.

That is heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 77November 20, 2020 4:54 PM

[R75] I’m so sorry. That is so mean that they didn’t let you in the room with PPE. It is unnecessarily cruel. I hope you are ok.

by Anonymousreply 78November 20, 2020 5:06 PM

R75, I'm so sorry. The stuffed tiger is heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 79November 20, 2020 5:08 PM

R58 I don’t think you are being selfish, you want to see your mother and given the circumstances I understand how you feel.

My grandmother who raised me passed away this summer and the pain was unbearable for me.

I booked a trip for December to visit my mother, sister and aunts that I have not visited for years and now I am not sure if I should go.

I have been a hermit since February, being very cautious about where I go and what I do. I would hate for something to happen to one of them, I fear never seeing them again.

I think selfish people are the ones you see going to bars, having parties at home, getting together with friends just because and people who refuse to stop going to churches and casinos.

by Anonymousreply 80November 20, 2020 6:15 PM

I'm sorry you had to go through that R75. I'm sending you a virtual hug and hoping you find comfort in your memories of the good times.

by Anonymousreply 81November 20, 2020 6:39 PM

By the grace of God none of my immediate or extended family have had it nor I and we're all in that group most likely to get it: black, older, medical conditions, in NJ. Luckily, we have no problem convincing the older members of our family to quarantine and take precautions when they do go out.

by Anonymousreply 82November 20, 2020 6:51 PM

r75, I am so sorry to hear that. Big hugs to you. It is so lovely about the stuffed tiger, I am sure it gave her some comfort.

r58 it sounds like you are taking all the right precautions. Safe travels and let us know how it goes.

by Anonymousreply 83November 20, 2020 9:34 PM

Thanks R40. I’m on Apixaban - another blood thinner, but hoping to come off it in the new year. Key difference with Warfarin is that it’s easy to come off it.

No side effects apart from cutting myself shaving all the time and I can’t do anything that could risk a bump to the head (potential brain bleed) so no surfing or skiing for now.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 84November 20, 2020 11:06 PM

Thanks for the kind words about losing my mother, everyone. I just want everyone to be safe again but this time a little more thoughtful about the health and safety of others from here on out—that’s my hope; that we collectively learn from this horrible year and show more empathy toward others with simple actions like wearing masks when we have colds, being kinder, etc.

by Anonymousreply 85November 21, 2020 12:42 PM

I am too isolated. Haven't lost friends or family. My mother is too isolated, in another country. My family has not suffered economically.

I have cut out having sex with long term fuck buddies. This makes me sad and unfucked. Touch and sex is important. I have empathy for single people like myself, this year.

I work from home as a college prof and its not obvious for anyone. At least I get to continue weekly relationships with young people, even though its virtually. Teacher student is a relationship. They have good energy and aren't as messed up as mature adults.

My friends and family dont want to do regular virtual connections. This is because we didn't do that before the pandemic. Professional relationships are obliged to continue so don't underappreciate the value of them.

I think everyone is stressed out and many spend time on social media with people they dont really know, like I am doing here typing this. I dunno. People aren't very honest about how much they spend online doing whatever.

by Anonymousreply 86November 21, 2020 12:51 PM

My brothers friend.

by Anonymousreply 87November 21, 2020 1:24 PM

No one that I know personally but my mother lost a friend to it and the sister of a co-worker has tested positive. That one caused a little anxiety because she had spent extended periods of time in her sister's proximity and then I spent extended periods of time in hers since we work together. Yes, we always wear masks and sanitize often but still... it was little nerve-wracking. When she found out, my coworker immediately quarantined and got tested (twice ). All clear.

by Anonymousreply 88November 21, 2020 1:31 PM

A friend lost two grandmothers to it.

Another dear friend lost her husband, who was also a friend of mine, a week ago and now has it herself, but she's not in the hospital, and it looks like she might not have severe symptoms, but it's not over.

Several people I don't know personally, but who are high profile in my small city have died from it, including two people high up in the police department and a fire department captain. I can guarantee the three police administrators and the firefighter guy were all hardcore right-wing racist Trump-supporting Republicans. We've had several lawsuits from women and people of color about racism and sexism and how no one gets promoted at either of those departments without being a white male.

by Anonymousreply 89November 21, 2020 1:43 PM

Two friends' fathers died of it -- in one case, a BIL, who could not stop partying and meeting up with God knows who, brought it home to the father, who had diabetes and other serious underlying health issues. Another friend this week told me an elderly relative simply wasn't handling the isolation of quarentine well and starved herself to death. Just stopped eating.

by Anonymousreply 90November 21, 2020 1:48 PM

This thread is a sobering read.

Keep safe, everyone.

by Anonymousreply 91November 21, 2020 2:35 PM

R90 did anyone know that was happening? How horrible.

by Anonymousreply 92November 21, 2020 2:48 PM

And imagine, another 200,000 or so friends, neighbors, relatives and acquaintances walking around today will die of COVID by March, according to some projections. All because some people can't be bothered to wear masks and social distance.

by Anonymousreply 93November 21, 2020 2:49 PM

Not the most publicly religious person but praying for many, especially my niece, who is a respiratory therapist. She has a 7 year old son.

I hate to treat prayer like Santa's wish list, but I just hope, every day, that they all stay safe. Especially since she lives very close to my father, in his 80s and fighting dementia.

by Anonymousreply 94November 21, 2020 2:52 PM

I found Covid to be completely infectious when we were first together, but then Covid just took over my life and I felt completely smothered.

by Anonymousreply 95November 21, 2020 3:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!