Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can 'Big Sky' Survive After That Ryan Phillippe Twist?

*Spoiler Alert*

For weeks now, ABC has been busy promoting its new fall series “Big Sky.” Teasers ran on Instagram feeds, ads popped up online and trailers debuted during commercial breaks for “Dancing with the Stars” and “The Bachelorette.”

The mystery thriller, from esteemed television creator David E. Kelley, follows a group of detectives hunting down a kidnapping truck driver in Helena, Montana.

And, in case you missed it, the show stars Ryan Phillippe.

Aside from the occasional guest spot, Phillippe, ’90s heartthrob of “I Know What You Did Last Summer” and “Cruel Intentions” fame, hasn’t been seen on network TV since his role as Ben Crawford in 2015′s “Secrets and Lies.” So, understandably, his casting in the Kelley drama sparked interest among stuck-at-home viewers.

Leigh Blickley·Senior Entertainment Reporter, HuffPost Wed, November 18, 2020, 5:19 AM HST ABC's "Big Sky" stars Katheryn Winnick as Jenny Hoyt, Ryan Phillippe as Cody Hoyt, and Kylie Bunbury as Cassie Dewell. (Photo: ABC/Kharen Hill) ABC's "Big Sky" stars Katheryn Winnick as Jenny Hoyt, Ryan Phillippe as Cody Hoyt, and Kylie Bunbury as Cassie Dewell. (Photo: ABC/Kharen Hill) For weeks now, ABC has been busy promoting its new fall series “Big Sky.” Teasers ran on Instagram feeds, ads popped up online and trailers debuted during commercial breaks for “Dancing with the Stars” and “The Bachelorette.”

The mystery thriller, from esteemed television creator David E. Kelley, follows a group of detectives hunting down a kidnapping truck driver in Helena, Montana.

And, in case you missed it, the show stars Ryan Phillippe.

Aside from the occasional guest spot, Phillippe, ’90s heartthrob of “I Know What You Did Last Summer” and “Cruel Intentions” fame, hasn’t been seen on network TV since his role as Ben Crawford in 2015′s “Secrets and Lies.” So, understandably, his casting in the Kelley drama sparked interest among stuck-at-home viewers.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

“Get your first look at Ryan Phillippe in David E. Kelley’s ‘Big Sky,’” an Entertainment Weekly headline read. “You’ll Be Hooked On This Love Triangle In Ryan Phillippe’s Thriller ‘Big Sky’: Watch a Sneak Peek,” E! Online wrote. “Does Ryan Phillippe’s new drama Big Sky hit the mark?” Digital Spy asked.

“It’s a cliffhanger, this show,” Phillippe warned during one of his many press interviews ahead of the Tuesday night debut of “Big Sky.” “It’s an edge of your seat, you can’t wait for the next episode, lots of twists and turns [show].”

The 46-year-old plays Cody Hoyt, a private investigator working alongside fellow detective Cassie Dewell (Kylie Bunbury) and his estranged wife, ex-cop Jenny Hoyt (Katheryn Winnick), as they search for two missing sisters (Natalie Alyn Lind and Jade Pettyjohn). Soon, they learn the women aren’t the only ones to disappear off a certain remote highway, leading Cody to meet up with state trooper Rick Legarski (John Carroll Lynch) to learn more about the area.

Then, Cody dies.

Yes, Phillippe’s character is shot and killed by undercover bad guy Legarski in a “Game of Thrones”-like twist. Only, “Big Sky” isn’t “Game of Thrones.”

The closing moment of the pilot episode was almost irritating, and left Phillippe followers, understandably, reeling.

The death didn’t surprise everyone, though. Not only is “Big Sky” based on C.J. Box’s Cassie Dewell novels, those who tuned into “Good Morning America” live on Tuesday morning were prematurely spoiled when Bunbury accidentally said she was “shocked” to learn the writers kill off Phillippe.

“I also had some deep thoughts about what his fans are going to think about it,” she reportedly said as a flabbergasted Phillippe and Winnick reacted via video call. The interview was edited to remove Bunbury’s comments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 19, 2021 1:50 AM

ABC didn’t respond to HuffPost’s request for comment on the on-air faux pas or the Phillippe cliffhanger. But the actor did tell USA Today, “I’m going to get backlash from my fans. On social media, they’re all excited in the comments thinking I have a new show, like, ‘My guy is back on TV! I can’t wait!’ But how often are you really shocked to the point where your jaw drops? I hope that happens here.”

“It’s a very bold thing to have one of the lead actors, who’s heavily featured in the marketing, go out in the first episode,” Phillippe added.

So, what happens next? Is Cody Hoyt really dead? And can the show survive without the leading man it was touting for weeks on end?

First off, yes, Cody is dead. Phillippe does not appear in Episode 2, “Nowhere to Run,” which focuses on Cassie and Jenny’s continued investigation. McDreamy-like dream sequences may be forthcoming, however, as this is a glossy, melodramatic ABC series after all.

Secondly, “Vikings” star Winnick has a huge following, and Bunbury’s appearances in series like Ava DuVernay’s “When They See Us” and Jordan Peele’s “The Twilight Zone” have garnered her some attention. And Kelley’s track record with recent hits like “The Undoing” and “Big Little Lies,” as well as favorites like “Ally McBeal” and “Boston Legal,” speaks for itself. (Again, “Big Sky” isn’t prestige TV, but a typical network offering.)

Actor Jesse James Keitel is also making history as the first nonbinary series regular on a primetime TV show, an achievement worth witnessing. On “Big Sky,” Keitel plays Jerrie, a young musician who falls into the trap of the abductor.

The show should gain enough eyeballs to last through its 10-episode run. But a renewal? We’ll see, as the network did just pull the plug on 2019′s freshmen series “Stumptown” in light of scheduling conflicts amid the pandemic.

What’s disappointing about the whole Phillippe situation is it speaks to continued flaws in the Hollywood marketing system. He was billed as the main player. He gave interviews, tweeted about his character and teed up hype. He played along, leading viewers to believe he’d be a huge part of one of the only pilot series airing this fall.

In actuality, ABC was just teasing their audience ― except this time we’re a tired lot stuck at home amid a seemingly never-ending pandemic. This wasn’t a Ned Stark heartbreaker or a “Walking Dead” shocker. It was annoying.

It’s one thing to kill off a main character after a season or two; it’s another to use them as bait for premiere viewership. TV watchers blame you, 2020.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2020 10:14 PM

[quote] Actor Jesse James Keitel is also making history as the first nonbinary series regular on a primetime TV show, an achievement worth witnessing.

Nah, it’s not.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2020 10:18 PM

omg, reading bios of nonbinary people is so irritating. who told them they(no pun intended) could just highjack grammatical usage like that.

Jesus, take the wheel.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2020 10:31 PM

Unless I hear that Kyle MacLachlan has joined the cast and is shown enjoying a damn fine cup of coffee and enjoying a piece of cherry pie at the diner, I’m not watching another episode.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2020 10:38 PM

It was pretty bad even with Phillipee, he was the only male character that wasn't a total psycho. I removed Big Sky from my scheduled DVR recordings, without Ryan there is no reason for me to watch this disaster.

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2020 11:19 PM

I’m grateful for the spoiler. I was only interested for gratuitous shots of Ryan with his shirt off. I’m not watching that garbage now.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2020 11:23 PM

It is a fucking nasty little show. Do we really need this type of torture rapey shit on Tv?

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2020 11:27 PM

This is what JJ Abrams originally planned to do with LOST on ABC. There was a plan to cast an over-the-hill movie star as Dr. Jack Shephard (Michael Keaton was considered), and then to frame the marketing around his TV debut only to kill him off at the end of the pilot episode.

This debacle suggests it's a good thing they didn't.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2020 11:32 PM

[quote]Phillippe does not appear in Episode 2, “Nowhere to Run,” which focuses on Cassie and Jenny’s continued investigation.

In other words: Kill off the hetero white guy and have an interracial team of two [italic]women[/italic] be the main stars of the show.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2020 11:35 PM

Didn’t they already do that with Risotto and Aisles or whatever the fuck?

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2020 11:38 PM

So sick and tired of this politically correct SJW crap. No wonder these network shows keep failing.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2020 11:41 PM

Glad I hadn't bothered to watch yet. Phillippe was the only reason I was going to.

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2020 12:01 AM

Phillippe had a very small part even in episode one, he was barely on the show at all. I do wonder if his wife will get pregnant from their sex scene just before he was killed. It would make for an interesting twist but how much investigation can you do being with child and then having a baby next season, so maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2020 12:21 AM

Wait a minute.. sex scene? Did you see his ass at all? Did it show those glorious butt indentations on the side as Ryan pumped away inside her with sweat glistening on his back?

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2020 12:31 AM

What a bait and switch.

On the other hand, the show features the reunion of two key stars of The Silence of the Lambs: Brooke Smith (who played Catherine Martin) and Ted Levine (who played Buffalo Bill/Jame Gumb). Brooke has played a major role as the wife of the man who kills our hero. Ted has not yet appeared. I do hope they get a scene together. Perhaps with a new Precious.

by Anonymousreply 15January 29, 2021 12:56 AM

Ryan looks kinda like Joel Osteen.

by Anonymousreply 16January 29, 2021 1:00 AM

Ryan doesn’t look good and I doubt anyone tuned in to watch him. Lmao. Please.

by Anonymousreply 17January 29, 2021 1:02 AM

The last episode did not hold my interest

by Anonymousreply 18January 29, 2021 1:11 AM

I tuned in to see Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 19January 29, 2021 1:15 AM

The kidnapped girls are annoying, they did some singing a few episodes back which irritated

by Anonymousreply 20January 29, 2021 1:28 AM

It’s getting good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 4, 2021 5:12 AM

Ryan definitely has some face work done.

by Anonymousreply 22February 4, 2021 5:15 AM

Why do people in these cast photographs always look like you just told them the salad they just ate had your pubic hairs in it?

by Anonymousreply 23February 4, 2021 5:31 AM

This show is getting very, very good. It’s suddenly super-entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 24February 4, 2021 5:33 AM

Thank God. The mealy mouthed fucker can't act for shit.

by Anonymousreply 25February 4, 2021 5:47 AM

He's developed very round, piggy eyes. Were they always like that?

Probably some sort of syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 26February 4, 2021 6:10 AM

Not a very good episode.

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2021 4:36 AM

Can't believe Secrets And Lies was five years ago! It was a big old shitshow.

I only watched it to see Juliette Lewis' livid expressions on every episode!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2021 4:41 AM

Another one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 10, 2021 4:41 AM

it's like Juliette's character was an SNL character that had invaded the show somehow.

by Anonymousreply 30February 10, 2021 4:44 AM

What priest in small town Montana can afford a Tesla?

by Anonymousreply 31February 17, 2021 6:14 AM

Can Ryan twist my nipples?

by Anonymousreply 32February 17, 2021 8:04 AM

those web sleuths are cray cray... like others have said, the last episode boils everything down. All the coincidences are very interesting though

by Anonymousreply 33February 18, 2021 11:51 PM

oops wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 34February 18, 2021 11:54 PM

sooooo dumb, he the only reason i watched it....pffftt

by Anonymousreply 35February 19, 2021 12:52 AM

The priest was played by John Kapelos, who played Carl the janitor in “The Breakfast Club.”

by Anonymousreply 36February 19, 2021 1:18 AM

Their ratings declined after ryan was killed. ridic

by Anonymousreply 37February 19, 2021 1:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!