Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Essential Kitchen Equipment

I have to have a good sharp knife, a wooden spoon that feels right, pezzetti coffee pot and, of course, my le creuset pot. What are your essentials?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 17, 2020 10:35 PM

it certainly isn't those dopey, inefficient, bulky, risky-looking shelves in the op's picture

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2020 9:41 PM

a kettle, either a whistling tea kettle for stovetop or an electric kettle

a good sauté pan, a skillet just doesn't cut it

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2020 9:43 PM

Risky? You need to purchase a Life Alert if those are risky to you.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2020 9:45 PM

[quote] a skillet just doesn't cut it

I use knives to cut it

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2020 9:47 PM

The Keurig and Vitamix are used every day.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2020 10:00 PM

Microwave is the most essential.

I say that the Microwave revolutionised cooking across the planet.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2020 10:26 PM

I use my microwave primarily for storage like a bread box.

The immersion blender has become indispensable to me.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2020 10:31 PM

I once met this ancient lady who said her Essential Kitchen Equipment was a little metal jug in which she kept her dripping.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2020 10:51 PM

Keurigs are white trash!

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2020 11:39 PM

OP what's your go to knife brand?

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2020 12:43 AM

A colander to drain the pasta.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2020 12:49 AM

I almost never use my microwave.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2020 12:51 AM

I don’t know my knife brand, found a nice one at a garage sale. I had it professionally sharpened, and it’s the best knife I’ve ever had.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2020 12:57 AM

Forgot to sign the knife response.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2020 12:57 AM

a small food processor (or two), my Japanese paring knife, a bread knife, my Chicago cutlery chef's knife, ramekins and my crockpot

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2020 12:58 AM

“rescue-chick” 🙄

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2020 12:59 AM

A food processor makes things easier in the kitchen. I like to bake, so the Kitchen Aid stand mixer is invaluable. As mentioned, a good set of knives is a must.

What I don’t have is a Dutch oven. It’s on the list.

by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2020 1:25 AM

Love here for the humble potato ricer. Perfect mash every time and no electricity needed.

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2020 1:25 AM

Large knife (santoku), paring knife, 8-qt. pot, Microplane (fine grater), veg peeler.

I eat pretty much everything out of pasta bowls.

Yes, I do use a microwave oven on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2020 1:47 AM

This is my Essential Kitchen Equipment.

Because every time I cook or bake using butter, oil or any kind of meat all my utensils and cooking equipment have a sheeny film of tiny fat particles which I must remove.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2020 2:37 AM

Ajax is not equipment R20. It is a cleaner.

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2020 2:44 AM

Frying pan with lid

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2020 2:45 AM

my garlic press from pampered chef

my chef knife

a good cutting board

kitchenaid mixer

cuisinart coffee maker

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2020 2:49 AM

Does "the help" count as essential kitchen equipment?

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2020 2:57 AM

Since I eat out every single day the only thing I need is a plate a fork and a cup.

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2020 2:59 AM

I want to buy new frying pans -- probably 3 of them, a large, a medium, and a small. The medium and small should be non-stick, the large need not be.

What are the best kind? I don't mean brand (though suggestions about that are welcome) -- what's the best kind of metal? Price isn't the most important factor -- I don't have a dishwasher, so I need to be able to clean them properly in the sink.

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2020 3:00 AM

My three Erie cast iron skillets. I use at least one of them every day. They date back to the late 1800s and I love them. Splendid tools.

A sharp chef's knife. Find the knife you like ,and then buy an electric knife sharpener. Chef's Choice makes a variety of them. I got mine on eBay for $25. I picked up a few others for $5 at stores like Goodwill and passed them on to friends. They love them. America's Test Kitchen selected the top of the line sharpener from Chef's Choice for its recommendation, but I don't think that one is necessary. They all seem to work well. A sharp knife is a wonderful tool. Really do this.

A large stainless steel dutch oven. I have Le Creuset and think it is great, but I am not finding it better than my 8 quart tri-ply stainless steel dutch oven / stock pot. That is a real work horse. And it cost much less than Le Creuset.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2020 3:02 AM

R26, try this.

I have not yet found an OXO Good Grips product that is not well designed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2020 3:07 AM

Vintage Revere Ware.

I can find barely-worn examples from the 50s-60s at thrift stores and I shine up the copper with Bar Keepers friend.

Great quality and I'm finding all kinds of interesting sizes and accessories like egg poachers, sieves and colanders/steamers.

by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2020 3:08 AM

Pampered chef? How pedestrian!

by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2020 3:20 AM

A cast iron pan, a vegetable peeler, a good non stick pan for eggs, wooden spoons.

by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2020 3:25 AM

A very sharp knife i paid 125 bucks (with little indentations on the handle, can't recall the name but it's sharp as fuck), kitchenaid mixer (same one i've had for 33 years), citrus reamer, cups and teaspoons in all the sizes!, wooden spoon, a great non-stick, non-toxic pan, cast iron dutch oven, electric kettle. Also requisite baking pans (don't care about brand). And a spatula and soup ladle as well, obviously. i also have a crockpot and Instapot but don't use them very regularly.

by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2020 3:47 AM

There's a difference between a grieving woman and a foolish woman.

by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2020 3:57 AM

A crêpe pan, bien sûr

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2020 4:04 AM

R28, that's really helpful -- thanks very much.

What about plain aluminum? I know that Alton Brown has commented on that but can't remember whether he was pro or con (much less any details) -- somehow, I feel sure that his website will be too verbose for the amount of time I'm able to devote ...

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2020 4:16 AM

Plenty of lube.

by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2020 4:19 AM

Alton Brown is CANCELED

by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2020 2:03 PM

A waiter's friend.

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2020 2:12 PM

IMO, Alton Brown is gay. He got divorced from a woman and married to another woman, who claims she didn't know who he was when she met him.

Alton and new wife are posting YouTube videos.

by Anonymousreply 39November 20, 2020 4:21 PM

R39, I was shocked when I read that Alton was straight.

by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2020 11:03 PM

I wasn't shocked, R40. Just as lots of men aren't gay they're just British, Alton Brown isn't gay he's just pedantic.

by Anonymousreply 41November 20, 2020 11:36 PM

I love my wok and my rice cooker.

by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2020 11:40 PM

Zojirushi rice cooker, large chef's knife, enameled cast iron Dutch oven. I love my hot water pot (also Zojirushi). I was slow to jump on the air fryer bandwagon, but it is fast becoming my favorite small appliance.

by Anonymousreply 43November 20, 2020 11:56 PM

Cast iron. I have two frying pans, a stewing pot (dutch oven) and a griddle.

by Anonymousreply 44November 21, 2020 12:09 AM

All- Clad cooking set. It's the best and will last a lifetime. You can pass down to your nephew when your goose is cooked.

by Anonymousreply 45November 21, 2020 12:38 AM

I assume those two doors with handles are a built-in fridge and freezer. All the other doors have those press-to-open function.

But what are those two cupboards on the right hand of the picture; are they for utilities or something?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 17, 2020 9:16 PM

If a cast iron pan isn't your first thought, then you're not a real cook.

I also need multiple spatulas, knives, Kitchen-Aid stand and hand mixers, sheet pans, measuring spoons and cups, and lots of bowls.

by Anonymousreply 47December 17, 2020 9:21 PM

What is the purpose of a WOODEN SPOON?

by Anonymousreply 48December 17, 2020 9:32 PM

They don't transfer heat R48 and you can use them on all surfaces.

by Anonymousreply 49December 17, 2020 9:41 PM

Wooden spoons retain salmonella and e-coli and they can't be placed in the dishwasher, so no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 50December 17, 2020 9:47 PM

Hydrogen peroxide sanitizes them R50.

by Anonymousreply 51December 17, 2020 9:59 PM

Instead of a wooden spoon, I now use a silicone spurtle (seven colors) from Mad Hungry. Check out the website and watch Lucinda Scala Quinn cook on instagram @madhungry, my favorite cooking show of the last three or four years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 17, 2020 10:03 PM

I'll see your Spurtle, R52.

And raise you one Spoonula.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 17, 2020 10:20 PM

[quote]a good sauté pan, a skillet just doesn't cut it

My favorite pan is my 4-quart sauté pan from All Clad. Like r2, I prefer it to a skillet. I like to make things like chili, Bolognese and other sauces for pasta, and to braise meats, so I like the straight sides.

I wish I'd bought it without the long handle. The pic shows the one I'd buy if I were shopping today.

I have the 6-quart version, without the long handle, which All-Clad calls a stockpot. You can make stock in it, of course, but it has a dutch oven profile. Since I'm single, I make sufficient quantities in the 4-quart pan, and use the 6-quart mainly for cooking pasta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 17, 2020 10:24 PM

Mandoline slicer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 17, 2020 10:30 PM

Microwave

Hot air fryer

Indoor grill

Fully stocked refrigerator & freezer

by Anonymousreply 56December 17, 2020 10:30 PM

i have that Orange Le Creuset Dutch oven in OP's pic, but my 95 yr old mother turned on the electric range it was sitting on inadvertently and it sat there for about a half hour on high. It's still usable but has lost some of its properties and there is orange enamel on the element!

by Anonymousreply 57December 17, 2020 10:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!