Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

GaGa explaining why her and Madonna shouldn’t be compared

Is she lowkey shading Madge?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 21, 2020 1:18 AM

Lowkey? No. She's flat out shading Madonna. What she should be doing is thanking her for making her career possible.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2020 3:27 PM

[quote]explaining why her and Madonna

Oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2020 3:28 PM

She has prednisone-face OP's vid. Whatever she is doing, she needs to stop it.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2020 3:30 PM

She has a completely different face than when she started out. Nose jobs, chin and cheek implants, eye job, facelift, browlift. It’s crazy. Yeah she looks a bit of filler-faced there. She doesn’t need to do anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2020 3:56 PM

She can out-talent Madonna in every way possible. Madonna is a bitter old lady who still acts like a childish whore despite being wayyyyyy past her prime.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2020 5:18 PM

Drugs. I mean, she's right, but she's wired here.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2020 5:30 PM

Madonna was a trail blazer and should be respected, but Gaga does have the better voice. I can't even imagine that'd be a contest. Madonna hardly ever had a voice, but was a great performer that the camera loved and she was brilliant at reinventing herself.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2020 6:42 PM

Gaga is a real artist and a genuine talent. Ms. Ciccone, however... not so much.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2020 6:45 PM

Her has no business saying these things.

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2020 7:04 PM

Hello! More than anything, Gaga is the Oscar nominated actress Madonna so badly wanted to be.

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2020 7:10 PM

"She's a...you know...a nice lady."

by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2020 7:16 PM

To be clear, I am not, and never have been a rel Madonna fan, and will agree with those who say lady GaGa is supreme for vocals. And Lady Gaga is a talented singer. With that said, one does have to acknowledge that Madonna really was a cultural force that LG has never matched. To be fair, I think LG's lack of cultural influence is, likely, more due to to the music market and industry being that much more competitive due to technological advances and the way we buy and listen to music. But Madonna really was a big part of American culture for several decades and still is to a certain, although lesser, degree. And, in my opinion, LG was mainly a niche act with a specific following that gained some mainstream popularity when she toned down the weird vibe, made movie, performed at the Oscars, etc.. But in no way does LG have the same popular cultural recognition that Madonna did. The only other contemporary singer I can think of who maybe had that (this is based on completely anecdotal evidence) is Beyonce. And frankly, I don't hear a whole lot about her anymore.

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2020 7:19 PM

GaGa was very much a cultural force back in 2008-2010 or so. You must have lived under a rock r12.

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2020 8:48 PM

[quote]why her and Madonna shouldn’t be compared

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2020 8:51 PM

Here’s my take. Lady Gaga is on a true spiritual path of growth and development. I think she is less narcissistic these days because of that path. If she were super selfish, needy, and fragile like Madonna has always been, she’d still be grinding 24/7 like Madonna did for 30 years. But Gaga takes breaks to reflect and attend to her inner life and her relationships. She has stripped away a lot of the superficiality and artifice of her earlier persona. Madonna has always shape-shifted but has never found herself. She doesn’t ever seem to deepen. When she looked like she was getting there during Ray of Light, it slipped away again as fast as it had come. And my theory as to how Gaga has been able to develop as a person, not just an artist, is that Gaga had a more stable upbringing. Madonna was devastated totally abd irretrievably by the death of her mother when she was 5. Gaga doesn’t have that core wound driving her. So she isn’t driven by a hole inside of her as much as my just being an artist and a human being on planet Earth. Gaga also seems to truly care about others and the world in a more authentic way than Madonna. And so she spends time tho king about that and doing things behind the scenes to see how she can really help and support people in this life with the privileges she has accrued.

In sum, I don’t think Gaga needs to conquer and re-conquer the world any longer to the degree Madonna’s insatiable ego has been driven to do. And thus Gaga will not be as much a dominant force culturally...but I believe she will leave this world a more fulfilled person.

by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2020 9:12 PM

*Sorry for typos, I don’t usually post from my phone

by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2020 9:14 PM

Dear GaGa,

I don't even think of you or Madge

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2020 9:14 PM

GaGa was 100% a trendsetter. She started that whole weird gimmick shit that kept people speaking about her and she was more known for what crazy shit she wore or did than her music at first. Her gimmicks got peoples attention though.

Katy Perry started dressing weird also after as did Nicki Minaj.

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2020 3:31 PM

I like Madonna. I like all old ladies.

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2020 3:38 PM

Gaga has a lot of talent, but let’s face it she will never be the force that Madonna is/was. Madonna paved the way for Gaga and all the others like her. When you watch Gaga’s music videos, you always think, “oh, that reminds me of Madonna video.” Gaga you are great but c’mon girl e all know you emulated Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2020 3:51 PM

I think gaga is full of shit and ugly as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2020 3:56 PM

^^^ Hi, Madonna! You’re looking as fresh as a crypt keeper these days. I hear dementia can be a hell of trip though. Far be it from me to call you old but my grandma remembers listening to you as a little girl. She said you were a gas! She also wanted to know if you might’ve had a stroke because half of your face seems a little droopy. Ta ta for now!

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2020 4:26 PM

R20 No, when I watch a Gaga video, I don't think of Madonna, ever. I think of Dale Bozzio, only, always.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2020 4:56 PM

It's not even subtle. Not even a little bit. Gaga knows she shouldn't be compared to Madonna because she took every ounce of her look and her eccentricity from Dale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2020 5:00 PM

Madonna actually wrote a lot of her own songs. Songs that were bigger hits than any of Gaga's. Songs that are considered classics, like Live To Tell.

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2020 5:07 PM

[quote]She can out-talent Madonna in every way possible.

Except when it comes to having a better catalog of songs.

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2020 5:11 PM

R25 I call bullshit. Were you in the room with her when she was strumming the chords? Everyone knows that Madonna took credit for other peoples' work.

And anyway...Gaga has written plenty of her own worldwide hits.

Finally, WHY IS IT A CONTEST?

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2020 5:11 PM

R13, I did actually, but it was a really nice, expensive rock, one of those big accent boulders rich people have in their yards at their country homes.

In all seriousness, I don't disagree with your statement, and I don't have any real evidence to back up my claims either. I was in my early 20s when Gaga first came around and, anecdotally, it always seemed that Gaga's following was smaller, and more a niche of youth culture, not the whole of it. Some of my peers were very into Gaga, most weren't though. I wasn't around for the beginning of Madonna's career, but I was always under the impression that she had a much wider audience. But I could be totally wrong. Also, I'm just remembering this, but when Gaga did the Super Bowl half-time show, I recall there being a bit of talk about whether football fans would really appreciate the performance because they, normally weren't her audience.

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2020 6:27 PM

R28 i was a kid when Madonna was starting. I can tell you that she was huge. Young people, old people, everyone knew her. She was a huge cultural force. Gaga was big in her peak too, but nothing to the magnitude of Madonna’s peak.

by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2020 8:20 PM

Those two are always shading each other and then acting friendly in public. They're the Joan and Bette of pop. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2020 8:27 PM

[quote]What she should be doing is thanking her for making her career possible.

I don't buy that. Aesthetically, she owes more to Marilyn Manson than to Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2020 8:53 PM

Gaga wrote all her songs, while Madonna had her songs written for her.

by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2020 8:55 PM

Gaga was a massive force. She was everywhere 10 years ago. You couldn’t turn on your tv without seeing her, couldn’t turn on your radios without hearing her and couldn’t open a magazine without her being there.

It’s insane how big she became in 2009 with Bad Romance and every song that followed was a success. She also used shock value to make headlines (like Madonna before her).

I remember Z100 discussing how Hollywood was starting to refer to GaGa as an “Ultra-Star” because at that moment she was so huge all over the world, with her singles and albums selling like crazy all over and her tour selling out all over the world.

When she released Born This Way (the single) it was the fastest single to reach number one in the most amount of countries in its first few hours out (at the time). The album also sold over 1 million its first week in the states.

She was a STAR.

by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2020 12:19 AM

Gaga can genuinely sing and seems to be a decent person unlike Madonna, but her output doesn’t touch Madge’s. Gaga put out three good projects between 2008-2011 but since then I’ve found her music really lacking. It’s like she lost her ability to write a good melody (or if you’re cynical, she ditched whoever was coming up with them).

by Anonymousreply 34November 21, 2020 12:28 AM

GaGa began taking herself more seriously post Born This Way.

It was reported that the year BTW was nominated for a ton of Grammys (and she lost every category) she was furious and even stormed out of the Grammys right after Album of the Year was not awarded to her. She was certain that she had those awards in the bag because BTW was a big hit (single and album) and the song had a positive message and was one of the first (if not the first) to become a huge #1 all over the world and be blatantly about LGBT (and say it outwardly).

After that she fired some people, and wanted to reinvent herself again, but “ArtPop” didn’t do well, so she then took time off and wrote a more “personal” album, and even traveled to the dessert etc. but Joanne wasn’t a hit either. She was certain that would be her “Album of the Year” after she didn’t get it for BTW.

Katy Perry also was upset when she lost that same year. She was certain she would get Album of the Year for Teenage Dream.

by Anonymousreply 35November 21, 2020 12:36 AM

R35 People need to stop worrying about dumb awards. That's so lame and embarrassing to stress about winning an award, Just make your art. Make your mark. Awards are human constructs.

by Anonymousreply 36November 21, 2020 12:50 AM

Artists are inveterate applause-seekers. If they were not they would never publish anything they do. Maybe it's stupid for fans to obsess about awards and other signs of external validation, but all artists do that, and the ones who say they don't are just posturing.

by Anonymousreply 37November 21, 2020 12:53 AM

Madonnas career was no bigger than Gaga’s career is today.

by Anonymousreply 38November 21, 2020 12:55 AM

If people are still talking about Gaga in 20 years, we can revisit this.

by Anonymousreply 39November 21, 2020 12:59 AM

Gaga lives for the applesauce.

by Anonymousreply 40November 21, 2020 1:00 AM

R37 exactly. GaGa even released a song about how she lives for the Applause...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 21, 2020 1:01 AM

Gaga is starring in films with Brad Pitt. Meanwhile, Madonna is at home casting magic spells against her enemies. Could the difference be any more stark?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 21, 2020 1:05 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 21, 2020 1:09 AM

Will that Director edit her performance to look good like Cooper did for ASIB? Because there were many rumors she was terrible and he had to lead her and train her while they filmed their scenes and had to do tons of takes per scene, minus the ones she had to sing. Supposedly a lot of her performance is cuts from different takes to taped together.

by Anonymousreply 44November 21, 2020 1:12 AM

[quote]To be clear, I am not, and never have been a rel Madonna fan, and will agree with those who say lady GaGa is supreme for vocals. And Lady Gaga is a talented singer. With that said, one does have to acknowledge that Madonna really was a cultural force that LG has never matched. To be fair, I think LG's lack of cultural influence is, likely, more due to to the music market and industry being that much more competitive due to technological advances and the way we buy and listen to music. But Madonna really was a big part of American culture for several decades and still is to a certain, although lesser, degree. And, in my opinion, LG was mainly a niche act with a specific following that gained some mainstream popularity when she toned down the weird vibe, made movie, performed at the Oscars, etc.. But in no way does LG have the same popular cultural recognition that Madonna did. The only other contemporary singer I can think of who maybe had that (this is based on completely anecdotal evidence) is Beyonce. And frankly, I don't hear a whole lot about her anymore.

Damn, that's very nicely put, R12. Gaga is just way too self impressed for me. You can tell that she desperately WANTS to believe what she's saying there ... but she's not quite there.

by Anonymousreply 45November 21, 2020 1:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!