Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Making mustard from powder

Is there a way to do this that tastes decent? What's the secret? Does anyone bother to do this at all anymore?

by Anonymousreply 34November 22, 2020 1:06 AM

There are a million different mustards in the store all better than you can make yourself, you need to volunteer or find something to do, no one makes there own mustard.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2020 4:19 PM

Wasabi is made from powder.

So is the spicy mustard you get with Chinese take out.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2020 4:28 PM

[quote] no one makes there own mustard.

Oh, dear.

Why can't homos do homophones?

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2020 4:36 PM

I had bought some dry mustard to use in a seasoning mix, R1, and just wondered what it was like making mustard with it. It tasted pretty bad. But they still sell the shit - and the Colman's powder is not cheap.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2020 5:35 PM

I made some once and it turned out okay, but it was a sweet mustard.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2020 5:38 PM

I use this powdered mustard when I want hot mustard. It’s very good! My dad used to use Colemans mustard powder and he liked it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2020 5:56 PM

I think most prepared mustard has vinegar in it. Maybe that’s what’s missing.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2020 5:58 PM

I've seen recipes, but having taught myself to make really good mayonnaise and still prefer Hellman's, I decided not to bother with mustard. I have three different kinds in my fridge now, and sometimes I mix two of them or add honey or horseradish or something so I do appreciate the many flavors mustard can have.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2020 6:04 PM

Get. A. Hobbbbbbbby!

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2020 6:13 PM

There is no point in making your own mustard unless you grow your own for seeds. Commercial mustard seeds simply lack the freshness and snap the good prepared mustard requires. People are lazy, but pretending not to be by slopping some ingredients together will produce what the OP apparently has experienced from her own efforts.

We grow two types of mustard plants and prepare three kinds of mustard for sauce, dressing, baking and condiment use. The recipes themselves are simple, and we make the vinegars and grow the herbs that go into them. (No, not the black pepper - some things simply need the right climate, and we don't produce the salt. We do make grow our own horseradish but we don't make wasabi because it just needs to be made by Japanese sources.)

Finally, the OP does betray herself completely with the "powder" part of the post header. A responsible person would NEVER use pre-pounded mustard seed for ANYTHING. How hard is it to use a mortar and pestle? Mustard powder is two steps away from what a decent prepared mustard needs. Lord, these ignorant, slothful people.

Do it right or just buy a generic screaming yellow mustard the color of yo mama's teeth.

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2020 6:23 PM

R10 also grows organic ingredients to make the bleach she uses on her anus.

by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2020 6:41 PM

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Please keep going and then post your findings.

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2020 7:26 PM

Somewhat related: Honey mustard sauce is equal parts plain yellow mustard, mayonnaise, and brown sugar with a pinch of garlic powder. It's really good and goes well with your frozen Tyson chicken strips.

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2020 8:05 PM

Beekman alert.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2020 8:13 PM

To make English Mustard

Adjust to taste: 1 tsp Mustard powder 1 tsp Sugar 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp Tumeric Mix with cold water (heat kills the heat) Leave for 10 minutes to develop

If you want to keep it ready mixed for longer, use white vinegar instead of cold water.

When I was a kid, we always used milk to make it from powder.

by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2020 8:17 PM

The S&B brand is a good brand, as in R6. I use the curry powder and would try the mustard powder if I needed it.

by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2020 8:29 PM

Oh, Maille!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2020 8:35 PM

I use dry mustard in the dry rubs I use for meats. Otherwise I buy a good brand of prepared mustard for other things. I like a whole grain style.

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2020 9:00 PM

I'm basically a carbon copy of R18 although I keep a jar of neon yellow American mustard around too.

I've had my latest canister of Coleman's dry mustard around for a couple of years. Does it go off?

by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2020 10:12 PM

R17, I'm a sucker for mustard in pretty little jars. I have an irrational but predictable notion that a fancy little jar means the mustard itself must be something special, and often it is. I've had Maille and it was fantastic, but I didn't have the honey Dijon. I think it may have been the plain Dijon, but I don't remember for sure.

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2020 9:33 AM

I've made mustard with Coleman's powder, using vinegar. I remember it coming out like the spicy not Chinese mustard. But these days I just buy it. For one year, my brothers husband bought me a jar of this mustard that has some name like The Most Fucking Hottest Mustard You Will Ever Have (not really that title). It made the back of my head sweat, like that Chinese mustard would. Recently I bought a jar of Strong Irish Mustard that is almost as hot and spicy. I spread a little on cheese and crackers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2020 9:47 AM

Coleman's mustard powder is the best mustard powder, but it is expensive, and does tend to lose its flavour and bite within a few months of opening. You used to be able to buy it in really small tins here in the UK, but they are almost impossible to find now. Not cost-effective for the manufacturer, I guess.

It's a bit of a faff, but it does taste better than made mustard as long as you prepare it properly: in an eggcup, mix a tablespoon of mustard powder with a tablespoon of water, until it is the consistency of cream. You may need to add a tiny bit more water, but not much - the general rule is equal portions. Once mixed, cover and leave to stand at room temperature for about an hour before using. You can refrigerate any that you don't use, but for no more than a day. It must be returned to room temperature before using as a table condiment.

If you want to get creative, you can mix with beer instead of water. Or you can mix with milk for a slightly milder taste. Or mix with white wine or cider vinegar to kill off the heat. You can also soak some mustard seeds in the vinegar for 24 hours before mixing, if you want a grain mustard. If you try these alternatives, you should discard any leftovers rather than refrigerating, to avoid disappointment.

Bon appétit!

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2020 10:10 AM

The wasabi at your local Japanese steakhouse is probably fake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2020 10:14 AM

My menz love this....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2020 10:19 AM

R13 - I'm sure that there are a million different honey mustard dipping sauce recipes, but the ones that I have followed usually use honey verses brown sugar. Either would work just fine IMO - sweet is sweet. The ingredient that I find to be a MUST however is lemon juice - and a very large portion of it. I find it to be a game changer and a must. Also, you are definitely correct that mayonnaise is one of if not the primary ingredient for these sauces.

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2020 10:26 AM

Grind mustard seeds yourself. Squeeze in fresh lime or lemon juice. Add green chillies and salt. Voila!

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2020 11:03 AM

Ma Daddy always sayed when you cain't cut da mustard no more, go 'head an lick da jar!

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2020 11:07 AM

Mix together a half stick of softened butter, two teaspoons of dry mustard (for heat) and the same amount of Dijon till thick. Refrigerate. Put small pieces/chunks atop steaks hot off the grill or pan.

Mmmm

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2020 11:28 AM

R20, I don't use a whole lot of mustard, but I've stopped buying anything at the supermarket except Maille. Mustard is one of those products where brand matters. It's a little more expensive, but the cheaper ones, I just don't like them as much. So I've learned through trial and error to buy it even if it's not on sale. I like their plain Dijon as well, but I mostly buy mustard to eat with either ham and cheese or turkey and cheese sandwiches, and I just like the honey mustard more with those.

by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2020 12:08 PM

R27 Told to me during a factory visit at the inventors of mechanising mustard powder collection from the tiny seeds, Colmans of Norwich (Sadly now sold to Knorr/Kraft/Krups whatever) the expression "can't cut the mustard" comes from the physical effort of harvesting the big old plants, they would grow to well over 3 meters tall (which is something like 42 picklers toes in American), so, when you could no longer cut the mustard, well, you get the picture.

by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2020 5:32 PM

I didn't know that, R30. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 31November 22, 2020 12:19 AM

R11, there are no "organic ingredients" to use for bleaching one's anus. And since I'm black I really don't think the look would be a good one.

Sorry you're living such a box-to-maw life.

by Anonymousreply 32November 22, 2020 12:50 AM

Maille has a cute boutique in Paris on place de la Madeline

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 22, 2020 12:51 AM

Grey Poupon tastes better than Maille if that's the kind of mustard you like. Trader Joe's dijon is acceptable to me. Maille in the States often tastes weak or stale.

Coleman's dry mustard comes from a time when mustard was used as much as a seasoning as a condiment. Making modern-style mild mustard spread from ground mustard seed requires the addition of acid and/or heat and other flavorings.

by Anonymousreply 34November 22, 2020 1:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!