Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is Kamala steps aside for Obama to be VP

Then a few moths later, Biden steps down, so Obama can serve as President again!

The limit in serving 2 terms wouldn't apply to this.

by Anonymousreply 58November 22, 2020 9:42 PM

Can’t happen. The limit on two terms also applies to being in the VP position which could give you more time as President.

by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2020 6:01 PM

Not true, R1. The courts would have to rule on that because it's not clear.

by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2020 6:05 PM

Even a Democratically-controlled Senate would never agree to anyone appointing Obama, having served two terms as US president, to the vice-presidency. it would go against the spirit of the 22nd Amendment.

The Republicans would do something like that if it served their purposes, but they're evil and don't play fair.

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2020 6:19 PM

OP Evidently you are celebrating that certain states legalized recreational marijuana. So what particular harvest of weed are you smoking today?

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2020 6:23 PM

Cannot happen. No one can serve more than two terms, unless the first term was for under 2 years (i.e., a VP who assumed presidency in the latter two years of the prior pres's term); in that event -- and only that event -- the VP-turned-pres can run for and serve two additional full terms of his/her own. Obama does not qualify for that and, thus, cannot be in any elected position in which he'd be in line for the presidency (i.e., the cabinet).

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2020 7:49 PM

R5, the law does not address if someone served two terms as President FIRST, then became a VP afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2020 1:02 AM

Why the fuck would Obama want to be vice president? He’s going to be called Mr. President for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2020 1:13 AM

VP would be for only a month or two, R7, then President again.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2020 1:16 AM

Hillary looked into that as Bill wanted to be VP when she ran, and it was a legal NO

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2020 8:02 PM

Let Obama retire in peace. He's had sufficient!

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2020 8:07 PM

Stop. You're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2020 8:08 PM

ALL of the vetting that’s done regarding Vice President candidacy centers around being able to step in as president. And that’s where it ends for a previous president two termer. OP, stop making stuff up.

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2020 8:09 PM

Kamala will step aside for no one!

Kamala is a tiger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2020 8:11 PM

Yes, of course the law fucking addresses it, retarded person at R6.

Two terms is the limit. Since the job of the Vice President is to take over for a president if needed, no two-term president is eligible to become Vice President.

If only you weren't retarded, you'd have been able to figure that out. Poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2020 8:11 PM

Can you imagine? If OP were right, 2 persons could tag team between positions until one of them died.

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2020 8:14 PM

This thread proves that (most) Americans are neither exceptional, nor very bright.

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2020 8:28 PM

Why would you want that op?

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2020 8:33 PM

OP, what if the hot Venezuelan married to the Colombian MILF downstairs has a gorgeous 9inch dong, and what if he started to fuck me bareback in the cellar in the late afternoons, when she's still at work, and liked it so much he continued for a couple years, until she divorces him, like she does to all her husbands when she tires of them. And then he moves in with me and does all the handy work on my chalet? What about that, OP? "What is"? Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2020 8:38 PM

[quote] Yes, of course the law fucking addresses it, retarded person at [R6].

No it doesn’t, actually. The 22nd amendment states that a person cannot be elected to the presidency more than twice. It doesn’t state that a person cannot serve as president more than twice.

So for instance if Obama ran for Congress and eventually became speaker of the house, and the president and Vice President died at the same time, say, due to an attack, Obama as third in line would be president.

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2020 8:57 PM

How about a SCOTUS position for Obama?

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2020 9:20 PM

[quote] How about a SCOTUS position for Obama?

No so fat!

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2020 9:21 PM

OT a bit, but Obama was on one of the Jimmy's last week. He was so damn affable, intelligent, fun. God I miss him.

That said, no chance in hell OP.

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2020 10:02 PM

Michelle would never allow it.

by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2020 10:06 PM

President Obama could not serve as Speaker of the House.

President Obama could not be in any position in government that is in the line of succession to the Presidency.

It's not fucking rocket science. The answer is no.

by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2020 10:07 PM

[quote] The limit in serving 2 terms wouldn't apply to this.

Except that it does.

[quote] President Obama could not be in any position in government that is in the line of succession to the Presidency.

People not eligible to be President can serve in positions in the line of succession to the Presidency and have, Henry Kissinger and Madeline Albright both served as Secretary of State despite not being born in the US or to US citizens. In those cases they are skipped if it comes to that and they go onto the next person in line.

by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2020 10:44 PM

[quote] In those cases they are skipped if it comes to that and they go onto the next person in line.

Does that mean I could become president of the erstwhile colonies?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 21, 2020 10:51 PM

Q: Can a person who is not constitutionally eligible for the office of president be in the line of succession?

A: Such a person can serve in an office that is in the line of succession, but he or she can't become president and would get skipped over if the presidency was vacated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 21, 2020 10:52 PM

Neither Henry Kissinger nor Madeleine Albright are former two-term presidends of the United States.

No two-term POTUS can serve as Vice President.

No. Can't be done. Won't be done. Isn't a real thing. This is a non-question. You can keep switching it around to other government jobs for reasons best known to yourself.

The fact remains, the questions is a stupid one and the answer is no.

by Anonymousreply 28November 21, 2020 10:52 PM

FDR broke the rules

by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2020 10:57 PM

R28 you are great at name calling but not much else, not reading or thinking.

[quote] President Obama could not be in any position in government that is in the line of succession to the Presidency.

My answer to that at R25 was addressing the statement that "President Obama could NOT be in ANY position that is in the line of succession to the Presidency. Clearly he could be Speaker of the House. I don't see Obama wanting to ever hold elective office again so it really doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2020 10:59 PM

No, R29, the rule was created after FDR died in office.

by Anonymousreply 31November 21, 2020 11:00 PM

[quote] "Roosevelt began on January 20, 1941, the date of Roosevelt's third inauguration, and ended with Roosevelt's death on April 12, 1945. Roosevelt won a third term by defeating Republican nominee Wendell Willkie in the 1940 United States presidential election. He remains the only president to serve for more than two terms."

~

by Anonymousreply 32November 21, 2020 11:04 PM

An ex-President can be judge, such as serving on the US Supreme Court if nominated & confirmed..

by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2020 11:05 PM

You gotta love the type of moron OP is, so confident that he's right and he's figured the whole thing out in advance.

The VP must meet the eligibility requirements of the Presidency, which means a former two-term President is obviously disqualified, to prevent the scenario R15 describes.

by Anonymousreply 34November 21, 2020 11:05 PM

Really, you're retarded.

President Obama, as a former two-term President of the United States, could not serve as Speaker of the House.

If he were a member of the House (which is allowed) he would not be able to stand for the Speaker's chair. As the Speaker is second in line to the Presidency, it would bring on a Constitutional crisis.

It simply cannot be, dear. We will never do it. Accept that you lost and either take your meds or find something else you're wrong about to obsess over.

by Anonymousreply 35November 21, 2020 11:08 PM

I assume the anti-Obama poster calling everyone "retarded" (while he posts nonsense) is the same person (R14 ,R24, etc).

From Wikipedia:

[quote] it is unclear whether someone who is ineligible to be elected president could be elected vice president. Because of this apparent ambiguity, there may be a loophole in the 22nd Amendment whereby a two-term former president could be elected vice president and then succeed to the presidency as a result of the incumbent's death, resignation, or removal from office (or even succeed to the presidency from some other stated office in the presidential line of succession).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 21, 2020 11:36 PM

OP, I am not anti-Obama you fucking moron. I'm anti stupid. The answer is still no, it will always be no. A two-term POTUS willl not be allowed to take a position that high in the succession. He can be a Supreme. He can be a congressman. He can be a Senator. He can be Ambassador to the UN but cannot be President of the UN.

You want to play Maybe Angels Dance on Pinheads. Run along.

by Anonymousreply 37November 21, 2020 11:45 PM

Sure, R37, we'll believe you over the legal scholars cited in the Wiki above.

[quote] ] Ready, Joel A. "The 22nd Amendment Doesn't Say What You Think It Says". Blandon, Pennsylvania: Cornerstone Law Firm. Retrieved November 6, 2017.

[quote] Peabody, Bruce G.; Gant, Scott E. (February 1999). "The Twice and Future President: Constitutional Interstices and the Twenty-Second Amendment". Minnesota Law Review. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Law School. 83 (3): 565–635.

by Anonymousreply 38November 21, 2020 11:49 PM

Frankly, Obama did nothing as President, and would do the same as vice pres. (Yes, I voted for him)

by Anonymousreply 39November 21, 2020 11:51 PM

Let's look at the actual Amendment:

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.

Specifically says 'ELECTED' not getting in by any other means. Shall not be ELECTED

Thread Closed.

by Anonymousreply 40November 21, 2020 11:54 PM

This is patently absurd, OP.

by Anonymousreply 41November 21, 2020 11:55 PM

It's ridiculous but a pedant with a bone is just determined to be fucking stupid and tedious. There's nothing one can do except firmly correct her and carry on.

Was it Ben Franklin who said some damn fool will come along and imagine anything that isn't directly prohibited in the Constitution is obviously all right, instead of using any common sense about it?

This ridiculous conversation with the OP is like that.

by Anonymousreply 42November 22, 2020 12:41 AM

R42, how fucking high how are you????????

by Anonymousreply 43November 22, 2020 12:56 AM

Not very high, R43, but the night is young.

It may not have been Ben Franklin - sorry. I'll go with "A Founder" okay, snookums?

by Anonymousreply 44November 22, 2020 1:15 AM

Sure, Obama could be Speaker of the House. His two term limit to the presidency only applies to being elected president two times

by Anonymousreply 45November 22, 2020 1:22 AM

Of course, r45. The “retarded” troll in this thread is bringing a lot of heat but not much light.

by Anonymousreply 46November 22, 2020 4:53 AM

The 12th Amendment says that no one who is ineligible to be president is eligible to serve as Vice President.

by Anonymousreply 47November 22, 2020 5:01 AM

Here's another mind-boggling idea! What if Kamala steps aside so as to let Countess Luann de Lesseps be Vice-President? And then if Biden resigns, she's be President the Countess!

**takes another toke**

It could happen, man!

by Anonymousreply 48November 22, 2020 5:04 AM

They brought up this ridiculous idea with Bill Clinton back in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 49November 22, 2020 5:05 AM

Can you imagine any type of amendment to the Constitution getting passed in these polarized times? It’s pretty shocking to me, looking back at some of the things passed earlier in the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 50November 22, 2020 5:19 AM

[quote]No one can serve more than two terms, unless the first term was for under 2 years (i.e., a VP who assumed presidency in the latter two years of the prior pres's term);

Which is why Johnson could have run for two full terms as he served one year and two months of Kennedy's term. Ford couldn't have run twice as he served two years and five months of Nixon's term.

by Anonymousreply 51November 22, 2020 6:29 AM

If something happens to Biden I wouldn't surprised to see 'The Squad' try to take over.

by Anonymousreply 52November 22, 2020 6:57 AM

Thanks for weighing in, Ivan... uh, I mean Anonymous at r52

by Anonymousreply 53November 22, 2020 7:11 AM

[quote]If something happens to Biden I wouldn't surprised to see 'The Squad' try to take over.

"The Squad" is four congresswomen from different states. How exactly do you imagine they would they "take over," Boris?

by Anonymousreply 54November 22, 2020 10:22 AM

R48 is NOT me.

by Anonymousreply 55November 22, 2020 3:51 PM

[quote] The 12th Amendment says that no one who is ineligible to be president is eligible to serve as Vice President.

No, that is not how it is worded. See R36.

by Anonymousreply 56November 22, 2020 3:54 PM

R56, what is your damage?

What is it that you are seeking to achieve with this senseless argument that everyone knows is crazy?

by Anonymousreply 57November 22, 2020 9:31 PM

This is almost as funny as that thread Boris started about Trump waving his magic wand and appointing Ivanka Veep.

by Anonymousreply 58November 22, 2020 9:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!