Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

So Are You Getting Together With Family for Thanksgiving?

Well?

by Anonymousreply 47November 21, 2020 12:13 PM

Nope. And thank god since they are all Trumpers. They, of course, are all gathering together.

Good.

by Anonymousreply 1November 16, 2020 10:16 PM

I very much doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2020 10:17 PM

No. There is a surging pandemic. It is in our collective hands to stop the spread. By now, everyone knows how to do that. Obviously too many people aren't doing what needs to be done.

by Anonymousreply 3November 16, 2020 10:18 PM

Not this year. I’m having my mom over for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 4November 16, 2020 10:19 PM

No. They live in a dry town with no liquor stores. And there is no way I could get through a day with them without a drink. The are Trumpers, religious, anti-vaxers, who think gays have destroyed marriage, even though most of them have been married and divorced more than once, and have had numerous affairs.

by Anonymousreply 5November 16, 2020 10:25 PM

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 6November 16, 2020 10:26 PM

Absolutely not. And that’s actually a good thing, considering the family drama that accompanies the holidays. This may end up being the best holiday season I’ve had in years!

by Anonymousreply 7November 16, 2020 11:09 PM

I'm very tempted not to go to my family gathering this year. They are all planning on having it as normal. Of course they are all Trumptards too.

by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2020 12:37 AM

Nope and I won't miss them either. Hee!

by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2020 12:43 AM

No, but they are going out of town.

by Anonymousreply 10November 17, 2020 12:47 AM

My partner's mother is insisting.

It's hard. She lives alone, and it isn't healthy mentally for her to never see us, but I'm nervous we'll unknowingly infect her.

We're careful, but his job requires some public interaction so there is always risk.

by Anonymousreply 11November 17, 2020 1:00 AM

Nope!

by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2020 3:17 AM

No, I can’t and won’t.

by Anonymousreply 13November 17, 2020 3:22 AM

R11, that’s rough and understandable and it sucks.

I’m lucky; I stopped hosting when my last parent died and relatives had to find another spot to squat, eat, fart, and bitch. Unhappy idiots are never a joy during the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 14November 17, 2020 3:33 AM

I'm not sure. Definitely no gatherings, but my cousin's wife mentioned maybe doing a drive-through Thanksgiving, in which she will make up a package for each of us to swing by their house and pick up outside.

It's generous of her and she's a wonderful cook, so if she does that, I'll certainly go and pick it up.

But I stay at home all the time, anyway, and often don't see anyone for five or six days, so I'm fine on my own.

by Anonymousreply 15November 17, 2020 3:44 AM

Staying home. This year has been a dream come true for me.

by Anonymousreply 16November 17, 2020 3:52 AM

I never do for Thanksgiving. But this year, it's going to be NO for Christmas, too. I would have to travel, stay in a hotel, etc. Not gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 17November 17, 2020 3:54 AM

Could you do a remote gathering via Zoom, R11?

I know it's not the same, but it's better than nothing.

by Anonymousreply 18November 17, 2020 4:05 AM

I wonder how many people, singles or in couples or families, will decide after this year they like it better this way.

by Anonymousreply 19November 17, 2020 4:06 AM

Of course not. What kind of an idiot would go to a large gathering of people, indoors, eating (and therefore maskless) around a table?

It would be an insanely stupid thing to do during a pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 20November 17, 2020 4:23 AM

Nope, I am an actual orphan.

by Anonymousreply 21November 17, 2020 4:25 AM

We’re doing Zoom and drive-by delivery of turkey dinner.

by Anonymousreply 22November 17, 2020 5:15 AM

No.

by Anonymousreply 23November 17, 2020 5:16 AM

No, I think it’s not the year to do this.

by Anonymousreply 24November 17, 2020 5:20 AM

No. I’m not even seeing my parents.

by Anonymousreply 25November 17, 2020 5:21 AM

One family member is coming over, a sibling who is regularly tested and I see regularly anyway.

Same for Christmas. No large family gatherings this year, several family members are at higher risk and no one wants them to get sick.

by Anonymousreply 26November 17, 2020 5:24 AM

I am seeing no one on TG. My brother, SiL and niece are going from OC to my parents in Arizona.

I just sent my mom the little youtube video about closed room exposure, since my brother's family seem to be around friends often and niece is back to in person school and who knows what any of that is like. They will all do what they want to do, regardless.

by Anonymousreply 27November 17, 2020 6:22 PM

Nope it's just me and my partner.

by Anonymousreply 28November 17, 2020 6:25 PM

Now my mom is mad that we are not coming to Thanksgiving dinner. She is elderly and has had some brain trauma so she doesn't get the whole pandemic thing. She's also pretty much a shut in now a days, it's just her and my dad. I feel bad about canceling, but i'd rather not take the risk, and she doesn't need to either.

by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2020 4:21 AM

My family are MAGAts. Pre-pandemic, I saw them many once every five years.

by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2020 4:26 AM

No, the same situation as R30.

by Anonymousreply 31November 21, 2020 4:28 AM

First Thanksgiving without family ever. And I'm not sure that's such a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 32November 21, 2020 4:34 AM

Just my mom and possibly my closest cousin if she feels it's safe. I'll miss larger holiday gatherings with the family, but now is not the time.

by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2020 4:51 AM

I'm hosting an orgy that day

by Anonymousreply 34November 21, 2020 4:55 AM

Just my parents. I work from home, and they're retired and have been staying at home. We'll wear masks when we're not eating.

by Anonymousreply 35November 21, 2020 5:12 AM

No.

by Anonymousreply 36November 21, 2020 5:49 AM

I’m an only child and moved back home to take care of my only parent, my dad, last year when he was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. Of course, after 6 harrowing months of treatment the cancer finally went into remission... the same week Covid first spiked. He died last week of a heart attack but we had been completely isolated together all this time so that’s a silver lining. My cousins have been vaguely supportive but now that he’s dead they revealed they’ve been having all holidays and birthdays etc indoors with no masks for months and just didn’t tell us because we took quarantine so seriously. According to them, now I need to “get over the Covid stuff and live your life if you expect to have a family.” So, no, I am not attending Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve/Christmas anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 37November 21, 2020 6:51 AM

PS on the day of my father’s death death, my cousins, their spouses, etc all gathered for a big “party”/“wake” with 15-20 maskless people attending. I got numerous calls (which I did not take) from 5-930PM from many of them, ultimately ending with a text from my oldest cousin saying “can’t believe you couldn’t show up tonight even for your father’s memory.” He didn’t want a wake or funeral to begin with, but they knew that and wanted an excuse to party together anyway and then guilt me because I’m a “Covid nazi”.

by Anonymousreply 38November 21, 2020 6:57 AM

My husband and I will be cooking a big dinner for about 8-10 people.

But we live abroad, in a country that took it seriously from the outset. We self-quarantined for four months as per federal mandate; happy to be through that. Though we still wear masks whenever we are out and about, the high-risk phase is over for us.

by Anonymousreply 39November 21, 2020 7:05 AM

NOPE! High risk for thanksgiving, and too crazy to plan anyway.

by Anonymousreply 40November 21, 2020 7:31 AM

My 91 year old mother was just released from rehab,not booze or drugs, hip injury. She had covid three weeks ago. We will have a nice lunch and go for a drive.

by Anonymousreply 41November 21, 2020 9:01 AM

R37, I am so, so sorry about your father and your shitty family. So in their eyes, you moving back in with your dad and caring for him for six months while he was gravely ill is not enough evidence of how much you loved him, but them gathering to party (on the day he died?!?) was? That is truly insaneb. I hope you continue to stay far far away from them.

I had already decided not to go to my parents and have been feeling kinda bad about it. I feel it's the right thing to do but others didn't, especially my mother. But, I got sick yesterday and now have sinus congestion, a low grade fever, and aching muscles. Guess I'll be getting tested. The silver lining is now l know, without a doubt, it was the right decision. I should know that anyway, but when you're surrounded by people telling you up is down, it's not hard to lose your way.

by Anonymousreply 42November 21, 2020 11:29 AM

no, just no

by Anonymousreply 43November 21, 2020 11:47 AM

[quote]My partner's mother is insisting.

Has your partner considered obtaining a new mother?

In the alternative, have you considered getting a new partner?

by Anonymousreply 44November 21, 2020 11:50 AM

Of course not. I’m not a moronic trumptard.

by Anonymousreply 45November 21, 2020 12:09 PM

Nope....but I never have.

by Anonymousreply 46November 21, 2020 12:12 PM

Not if I can avoid it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 21, 2020 12:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!