Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

europeans, americans and australians in DL, would this guy be consider white or latino in your country?

I'm just curious .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 21, 2020 8:39 PM

We don't have Latino as such in Australia. If people are South American, they're South American. If their from Spain, they're Spanish.

If they're from the USA, they're American.

by Anonymousreply 1November 15, 2020 5:05 AM

The arm hair says white / middle eastern, but the white kind of middle eastern like semitic people.

by Anonymousreply 2November 15, 2020 5:09 AM

[quote] would this guy be consider white or latino

I don’t know about that guy, but we would definitely consider you Latino, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3November 15, 2020 5:13 AM

White and Latino art not mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 4November 15, 2020 5:13 AM

He does not appear to be american / latino / aztec / mayan / incan etc. They have little to no body hair and more asian features.

by Anonymousreply 5November 15, 2020 5:17 AM

He looks European.

by Anonymousreply 6November 15, 2020 5:17 AM

He looks Spanish / Cuban - so most likely close to 100% European.

He wouldn't experience any discrimination - as long as he wears long sleeved shirts.

He will get special treatment in Miami as long as he speaks Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 7November 15, 2020 5:23 AM

OP you’re a colossal dick, who doesn’t know the definition of Latino, which refers to GEOGRAPHY, not race/ color. There are plenty of white people who are ALSO Latino.

Your guy in the video says he’s Cuban/ American born. That makes him NOT Latino, since America IS NOT a Latino country.

HE IS Hispanic through Spanish influence. He’s a NON-LATINO, Hispanic.

Get it straight. Your tedious, with these misunderstandings.

by Anonymousreply 8November 15, 2020 5:25 AM

OP Here we go again.

White is a RACE classification.

Latino (as much as I hate that word) is a reference to someone's ethnic / national origin. It is NOT a RACE. Latin Americans can be many races: White, Indigenous, Black, Asian, or some mixture there. <-- doesn't that look familiar from an American perspective?

The gentleman in R1 from Australia answered this as most of the world would. It's only a confusion that certain Americans seem to have. I know that world geography is not as emphasized in U.S. grade schools either, perhaps adding to these type of confusions about foreign lands and historical global migration patterns.

by Anonymousreply 9November 15, 2020 5:26 AM

Latino

by Anonymousreply 10November 15, 2020 5:48 AM

OP, we don't do 'race' so much. Where I come from, he might be considered to be a 'Southerner' = Mediterranean (meaning olive skin, dark hair, brown eyes), but he would still absolutely be considered European. (After all, all the great ancient European civilizations were Mediterranean.)

In general, we do acknowledge that people from different places tend to look somewhat different, but we tend to attribute this to the place of their (family's) origin, not to the construct of 'race'. So, we would say 'he looks like he comes from Spain/Portugal/Italy/Greece/etc.', but we wouldn't really think about that in racial categories.

by Anonymousreply 11November 15, 2020 5:48 AM

Also, everybody here in Europe knows that you have Southerners who look very Northern European (often with strong Celtic influences), so it's not all so clear-cut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 15, 2020 5:51 AM

the celts were not blond or redheads, they had black and dark eyes like the gauls in france

by Anonymousreply 13November 15, 2020 5:54 AM

I might perhaps say he looks Mediterranean if I was trying to describe his look. That would be about it. I would be more likely to describe him as white and then mention his eye and hair colour.

by Anonymousreply 14November 15, 2020 6:05 AM

R13, the Celts consisted of a wide variety of tribes that came in all shapes and appearances. The mutation for red hair probably stemmed from Central Asia and spread with the Proto-Indo-Europeans (cf. also Tocharians in China) in various migration waves throughout Europe. These people later became the Celtic tribes (Gauls = Celts in Gaul), Germanic tribes, but also the Greeks, Thracians, etc.

You'll probably find red hair in every European nation, but it is noticeable that Ireland has a very high incidence.

by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2020 6:10 AM

Brown in any country

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2020 6:11 AM

He says he is Cuban American, that means he is LATINO or HISPANIC by the census standards. He may define himself differently. See the link

R11 The OP didn't mention race so don't even start that crap. You must be a Brit no doubt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 15, 2020 6:28 AM

So, what's 'white' (see title)--as opposed to 'latino'--supposed to mean, R17?

Of course, troll OP is talking about race.

by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2020 6:43 AM

Latino isn't a term that means anything much outside the US.

by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2020 1:03 PM

it is not about race, it is about phenotype and what your culture perceives or believe white people should look like. it is clear to me that this guy is european, the label white or latino is simply a social category. the question is would this european looking guy be considered white by european and american standards?

by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2020 2:20 PM

If your name is Miguel, you are not white.

by Anonymousreply 21November 15, 2020 2:50 PM

r21 this is why in the united states, if you are an european born in latin america you are considered latino instead of white. however, in legal document such as police records european looking latinos are indeed classified as white based on phenotype.

the guy on the video is a clear example that not all latinos have the same race and racial characteristics

if that guy was your neighbor, would you think of him as a latino/ hispanic or white by the way he looks?

by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2020 3:00 PM

Latino isn't really a category in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 23November 15, 2020 3:03 PM

[quote]If your name is Miguel, you are not white.

Another race-baiting thread from the melanin troll. How refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 24November 15, 2020 3:34 PM

[quote]If your name is Miguel, you are not white.

Spanish is a white language.

by Anonymousreply 25November 15, 2020 6:49 PM

Why does this even matter?? Ask if he's hot. Ask if he's gay. Ask if he's hung. You know -the important stuff!

by Anonymousreply 26November 15, 2020 6:52 PM

I suspect OP's point is that many people who get to check off the "Latino" box look white because they have 100% European ancestry and if the guy in the video were to introduce himself as "Mike Rogers" you would not wonder "is he really some sort of furriner?"

by Anonymousreply 27November 15, 2020 7:01 PM

He looks Puerto Rican or Mexican

by Anonymousreply 28November 15, 2020 7:15 PM

r27 my point is that it us interesting to me how people perceive others depending on things like country of birth, look, and even names. somebody mentioned that his name is miguel but if you noticed he has an english last name. im my opinion he is a white guy and he looks totally european. however, to some people in thus thread he looks mexican???? that is interesting

by Anonymousreply 29November 15, 2020 7:37 PM

Miguel is a white name.

by Anonymousreply 30November 15, 2020 7:41 PM

I just can't imagine even wondering that kind of thing. If he spoke to me and had an accent, I would be curious where he was from. If he had a typical Australian accent, it wouldn't even occur to me to think of his background. In the video he has an American accent so he's simply American to me. He describes himself as "cuban-American" but we tend to see all Americans as simply American. We don't do the hyphen thing.

Americans seem to still be really hyper aware of ethnicity and obsessed with categorising everyone down to the nth degree.

R1's point is very valid too. We don't call people Latino.

by Anonymousreply 31November 15, 2020 7:52 PM

He is fair but looks latino or spanish. Italians I would consider white on the other hand, regardless of they are lighter or darker.

by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2020 4:42 AM

That seems quite arbitrary, R32.

by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2020 4:44 AM

R32 The Spanish aren't white? What?

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2020 4:51 AM

R20 What is your concern with such notions of colour? I agree with the pister upthread who maintains white and Latino are not mutually exclusive terms. I very much would like to know your perspective, or what POV you're coming from. Do you consider yourself white? What is your heritage? I think that will say something more interesting after creating this thread, than what DL thinks.

He's a handsome bloke, with very pale white skin is my answer. Would it ever occur to me to categorise or classify him? Not at all.

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2020 4:55 AM

^ poster

by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2020 4:55 AM

Looks like an abandoned mutt from one of those neglected and abandoned ASPCA commercials.

by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2020 4:56 AM

R37 Ha! I would be willing to foster him for a period, if needed.

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2020 5:07 AM

r32 is the typical american who doesn't own a passport, atlas or history book and his genogram is very simple: his mother is his sister at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 39November 20, 2020 5:20 AM

this guy is clearly white of southern european and mediterranean stock. he doesnt look mestizo at all. ehile in gne US he can be considered latino, as many italians and jews, in europe he would pass an authentic european.

by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2020 5:21 AM

I' more curious about his cooking, and whether he does require fostering. Woof!🐾

by Anonymousreply 41November 20, 2020 5:27 AM

OP is obsessed with white people.

by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2020 5:27 AM

Cubans can kiss my black ass with their‘we are white and better than Mexicans and everyone else’ shit. These bitches don’t realize that the Republican Trump supporters think of them the same way as Mexicans. They don’t see them as white. They are immigrants that need to go back to their shithole countries, to them.

by Anonymousreply 43November 20, 2020 5:38 AM

OP Just a hot fucker

by Anonymousreply 44November 20, 2020 5:40 AM

OP, we’d consider him fuckable. That’s all.

by Anonymousreply 45November 20, 2020 5:58 AM

this is a classic example of how messed up americans have the whole ethinicity and racial categories, in the US AOC is considered brown latina, in spite of looking southern european, however, kim kardadhian is supposed to be white when she doesnt even look european at all.

by Anonymousreply 46November 21, 2020 12:06 AM

They seem to continuously be inventing new ways to categorise people. Even the so-called anti-racists think in this way. I find it quite sinister.

by Anonymousreply 47November 21, 2020 12:23 AM

Kim Kardashian is not considered white. She's considered Armenian. Her sister Kylie who is very white has transformed herself into a woman of some type of color, but she is a Jenner.

by Anonymousreply 48November 21, 2020 2:12 AM

R48 Ah, a post with a category which makes a bit of good sense..."...but she in a Jenner." Yes, I do believe regardless of where we come from, we can unanimously agree Jenner is a category unto its own.

by Anonymousreply 49November 21, 2020 8:39 PM

^ is a Jenner

by Anonymousreply 50November 21, 2020 8:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!